• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2017 (Apr. 27-29) |OT| The Busts of Tomorrow...Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
@DougLesmerises
The Browns have turned the Carson Wentz pick from last year, while moving from 2 to 15, into two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds, and a 4th.

Pepiope

That's the thing. I don't know.

Watching Mixon, he looks like the best runner remaining, but it's hard to reconcile things.
Mixon is better. I'd be disappointed drafting a guy like cook with Mixon still available, but I'd prefer King/Jones over both.

@DougLesmerises
The Browns have turned the Carson Wentz pick from last year, while moving from 2 to 15, into two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds, and a 4th.
But missed out on a potential franchise QB in the process. Time will tell if it was worth it.

Striker

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account
@AllbrightNFL

Following
More
#Browns wanted Mahomes, got leapfrogged by KC. Weren't in on Watson.
I bet NO and ARI were in for Mahomes too.

Giants picking Engram seems a tad early but they took an athletic/slot TE which is great to see. They can split him out wide, too.

Read all week they apparently didn't want Njoku at all.

Mrbob

Ryan Pace talking right now. Traded 3 picks away to sit a QB for this season lol. Mitch is not playing and Glennon is the guy for the season.

@DougLesmerises

This is only good if the team can actually draft.

Pepiope

Ryan Pace talking right now. Traded 3 picks away to sit a QB for this season lol. Mitch is not playing and Glennon is the guy for the season.

Wentz was the 3rd string, until the season started.

Eh they always say that. If mitch looks better than glennon he will start

About halfway through the draft I knew we were taking Watt. I'm tentative on the pick - the opportunity for an All Pro guy is palpable, but he was a 1 year starter and was rddled with injury in his knees. Here's hoping he's twice the player JJ is though!

Tom Nook

Hahaha

They gave up picks just to move up just 1 spot. The team before them aren't going to draft a qb....

effzee

That's the thing. I don't know.

Watching Mixon, he looks like the best runner remaining, but it's hard to reconcile things.

If it's between Mixon and Cook, I want Mixon.

@DougLesmerises

And all that and still no QB. Sweet!

Btw Eagles fans this is a great list of top remaining talent Eagles might target:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/the-top-12-options-for-the-eagles-in-round-two-of-the2017--nfl-draft/

Cagey

Banned
I bet NO and ARI were in for Mahomes too.

Giants picking Engram seems a tad early but they took an athletic/slot TE which is great to see. They can split him out wide, too.

Read all week they apparently didn't want Njoku at all.
I'd rather we hadn't gone for a hood ornament when we still need some wheels. Also uneasy with an undersized TE but as a pseudo Marshall replacement in two years I can live with it.

I prefer my TEs to not be 2 guard sized.
Mixon is better. I'd be disappointed drafting a guy like cook with Mixon still available, but I'd prefer King/Jones over both.

But missed out on a potential franchise QB in the process. Time will tell if it was worth it.
They passed on a mediocre for the "top tier" levels QB prospect with airmail accuracy issues in a weak class. The process was sound. If Wentz overachieves than so be it.

B.O.O.M

@fbgchase Football Perspective‏
Seattle traded 26 for 34, 95, 111, and 249, gaining 161 cents on the dollar on the Football Perspective chart.

MechDX

C-eOUHDUMAAT4cX.jpg:large

Believe in the Cleve?

Mrbob

Hahaha

They gave up picks just to move up just 1 spot. The team before them aren't going to draft a qb....

I'm not upset about the pick outside of giving up 3 draft picks to get him. No one knows who is actually going to be good or bad from the draft. Still, the Niners or Browns will have to sign Jay Cutler now since neither team has a QB.

squicken

I'm not upset about the pick outside of giving up 3 draft picks to get him. No one knows who is actually going to be good or bad from the draft. Still, the Niners or Browns will have to sign Jay Cutler now since neither team has a QB.

Yeah as bad as all the trades were for QBs were, it's the only option. Take a shot and then if it fails, do it again. But CHI gave up so much

Tall4Life

I thought the Browns actually drafted pretty well tonight. It was smart going for more proven, or at least players that you can expect to perform consistently well like Garrett, Njokic, Peppers. They would've taken a big risk going for a QB when there others they could get.

nIjBoe4.gif

Glennon starts camp as The Guy. Looks like shit, because he is shit. Mitch starts opening day.

Yeah as bad as all the trades were for QBs were, it's the only option. Take a shot and then if it fails, do it again. But CHI gave up so much

Seriously. Mitchell is fine, I guess. Not who I wanted, but that's whatever. The amount of picks they gave up to get him is ridiculous.

Mrbob

My issue with Mitch is who is going to coach him up? Not like John Fox is a paragon of offensive ability. Hopefully Dave Ragone is a good QB coach because it's going to be up to him to make sure Trubisky develops.

Curious if this is a long term process. Pace specifically brought up Rodgers when talking about sitting and developing.

Striker

I'd rather we hadn't gone for a hood ornament when we still need some wheels. Also uneasy with an undersized TE but as a pseudo Marshall replacement in two years I can live with it.

I prefer my TEs to not be 2 guard sized.
He won't be Shockey or Bennett blocking but I am hopeful for some creative mastery from ol' McAdoo. TE screens last year to Donnell? Now to Engram. He is a move TE and I would expect them to treat him as such. Ellison, and I presume Adams with some work, will be the in-line TE's on the field.

And yeah, partial replacement for Marshall in two years.

Super happy with the results for the Saints. Lattimore falling to #11 was something I never expected but was very excited about. I was hoping Foster would fall to #32, but SF obviously knew we would take him. I'm fine with picking the top OT since Strief is due to drop from old age at any time now and Peat is better at guard. Not a very deep OL draft, so getting one of the best guys there is a good pick.

Bacon

He won't be Shockey or Bennett blocking but I am hopeful for some creative mastery from ol' McAdoo. TE screens last year to Donnell? Now to Engram. He is a move TE and I would expect them to treat him as such. Ellison, and I presume Adams with some work, will be the in-line TE's on the field.

I hadn't thought about this at the time of the pick but Reese said this pick is meant to put stress on the two high safety look that the giants saw all last season by attacking the middle of the field with size and speed. When I think about it in that context it makes perfect sense. As long as Eli gets time in the pocket this is going to be a hard offense to stop, that being a big if of course.

My issue with Mitch is who is going to coach him up? Not like John Fox is a paragon of offensive ability. Hopefully Dave Ragone is a good QB coach because it's going to be up to him to make sure Trubisky develops.

Curious if this is a long term process. Pace specifically brought up Rodgers when talking about sitting and developing.

That's a lot to trade for a guy to sit for a long time. The Aaron Rodgers pick was great because it fell to them.

We already signed 2 burrs QBs from last year, we don't need a 3rd!

My round 1 impressions:

49ers did the best in my opinion.

Browns did well by not overthinking the first pick and adding talent. The front office must have a leash a mile long with that QB situation.

The Conley pick is baffling, Reggie better be right on this or it's a massive (fireable IMO) mistake. If no charges are filed, the value is very good and Reggie has balls of steel.

Every team who took a QB reached, badly

Cagey

Banned

11 personnel with Engram running routes still leaves the five upfront and our bad pass blocking RBs to keep Eli upright and on his spot for longer than 2 seconds though.

And of the five upfront, who are the plus guys? Richburg assuming the injury was the problem last season? Pugh isn't a plus or minus player to me, and the rest are minuses with Flowers being such a disaster he degrades the rest by proximity.

It's the kind of offense that would destroy Madden '18 because OL play isn't that important in the game.

I'm weary. If the OL can elevate it's collective play to mediocre and not have any true disasters then I can see 2011 as the best case.

Welp, hopefully he's not another Andrus Peat.

Peat was pretty good once he moved to guard. Which is why this pick makes sense.

Don't understand that Saints pick. We already have a pro bowl left tackle and a good backup left tackle. Must have been in shock cause they thought they were getting Foster at 32.

And it is not guaranteed a left tackle can transition to right tackle.

Zach Strief is playing on borrowed time. He was a concern coming into last season, but he pulled another good year out of himself. He can't do that forever. In a draft short on OL talent at the top, it's better to spend a pick on one of the best and play it out in terms of switching him from LT to RT than pass on it and pick a defensive talent in a deep defensive draft and be screwed completely if Strief goes down or plays poorly.

kmag

11 personnel with Engram running routes still leaves the five upfront and our bad pass blocking RBs to keep Eli upright and on his spot for longer than 2 seconds though.

And of the five upfront, who are the plus guys? Richburg assuming the injury was the problem last season? Pugh isn't a plus or minus player to me, and the rest are minuses with Flowers being such a disaster he degrades the rest by proximity.

It's the kind of offense that would destroy Madden '18 because OL play isn't that important in the game.

I'm weary. If the OL can elevate it's collective play to mediocre and not have any true disasters then I can see 2011 as the best case.

No OL player in this draft was going to be much of a factor this year. Lamp maybe but he's an interior guy, Bolles had gone and even he wasn't a particularly clean prospect.

Even 'can't miss' blue chip LT prospects generally don't play tackle early. Bad year to need oline help. Most if not all of the guys in this draft would have been 2nd rounders last year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Every team who took a QB reached, badly

If every team is reaching then is it seriously a reach? I think its a proper evaluation of the reality of the NFL, BPA and stockpiling picks is great and all but it doesn't mean anything if you don't have a QB.

I think what the Bears did is dumb value wise but I totally get what the Chiefs and Texans are doing. BOB has had success in Houston with fucking nobodies at QB and Andy knows the limitations of Alex Smith are holding them back

I don't fault the Texans because they don't need a star QB. They just need someone who's better than a dumpster fire. They have literally everything else.

kmag

McAdoo isn't much of a creative thinker. The Giants basically run a dumb downed version of McCarthy's system from GB, which when you strip out the Rodgers sandlot factor is pretty basic at the best of times.

squicken

If every team is reaching then is it seriously a reach? I think its a proper evaluation of the reality of the NFL, BPA and stockpiling picks is great and all but it doesn't mean anything if you don't have a QB.

I think what the Bears did is dumb value wise but I totally get what the Chiefs and Texans are doing. BOB has had success in Houston with fucking nobodies at QB and Andy knows the limitations of Alex Smith are holding them back

Yeah BPA is a luxury for teams with QBs. If the Browns really wanted Mahomes, then how good are they feeling that they stuck to their draft chart, have a bunch of picks next year, and go only as far as Kessler's noodle arm takes them?

Cagey

Banned
No OL player in this draft was going to be much of a factor this year. Lamp maybe but he's an interior guy, Bolles had gone and even he wasn't a particularly clean prospect.

Even 'can't miss' blue chip LT prospects generally don't play tackle early. Bad year to need oline help. Most if not all of the guys in this draft would have been 2nd rounders last year.
The Giants need interior players too. Pugh is up for a second contract after the season and, barring some miracle in his development, we should let him walk. Hes not worth 10m. I'd prefer to have his replacement and an additional player out of this draft. Fluker is a one year flier.

That's both starting guards. The tackles are trash.

Selecting one OL between the 15 and 16 drafts combined will lead to an inevitable shortage of sheer starter quality bodies. I mean hell we already have one.

kmag

Yeah BPA is a luxury for teams with QBs. If the Browns really wanted Mahomes, then how good are they feeling that they stuck to their draft chart, have a bunch of picks next year, and go only as far as Kessler's noodle arm takes them?

Even with all their picks, the Browns were much more than one QB away this year, especially THIS qb class.

Next year it's likely aside from 3 NFL QB's potentially hitting free agency, that you've got 3 far better QB's (and one in Darnold who's looking like a potential generational talent) and another 5 or so guys at least on the same level as this years top QB's.

Nothing wrong in trying to put the infrastructure in place for the QB to come into

kmag

The Giants need interior players too. Pugh is up for a second contract after the season and, barring some miracle in his development, we should let him walk. Hes not worth 10m. I'd prefer to have his replacement and an additional player out of this draft. Fluker is a one year flier.

That's both starting guards. The tackles are trash.

Selecting one OL between the 15 and 16 drafts combined will lead to an inevitable shortage of sheer starter quality bodies. I mean hell we already have one.

By that logic you just take whatever Olineman is top of your board regardless of how good or bad they are. It's a shit class for oline so that's a recipe for a shit draft. That's pretty inescapable, and they're ticking down on Eli's career. Engram takes away one clear issue from last year (the inability to attack the seam against C2). They've still got a chance at oline at 55, but frankly the quality is more likely to be at CB or DE. Outside of the top 3 oline guys (none of whom are very good) the rest of the class is much of a muchness. There will be some oline guys late on who'll end up with very good careers because there always are.

Hindl

I would like to trade up for Cook.

Same although I feel like they should sit and get a CB

There are less things confirmed about what Cook did.

Also, for Barnett, what do people think of him right now? The Eagles had a chance at Allen and Hooker. They passed on both. Will the Eagles regret it? He looks pretty good at finishing and producing, but stats in college can be deceiving.

Tough to swallow with Foster and Howard there but the Foster injuries must be worrying and they just didn't want Howard. I really liked Barnett tho I was hoping he'd get passed the saints. Dude had a better college career against better competition than Garrett. Assuming we get a good CB I think the defense will be terrifying

Who were the Bears afraid of trying to take Trubisky?

I'll tell you Cleveland wasn't moving up to get him. A lot of smoke on Cleveland and Mitch

Tall4Life

Who were the Bears afraid of trying to take Trubisky?

I'll tell you Cleveland wasn't moving up to get him. A lot of smoke on Cleveland and Mitch
Possibly the others who traded up for QBs I guess. Who knows what went down with that trade.

Though I bet you're probably gonna sleep well tonight, huh

Cagey

Banned
By that logic you just take whatever Olineman is top of your board regardless of how good or bad they are. It's a shit class for oline so that's a recipe for a shit draft. That's pretty inescapable, and they're ticking down on Eli's career. Engram takes away one clear issue from last year (the inability to attack the seam against C2). They've still got a chance at oline at 55, but frankly the quality is more likely to be at CB or DE. Outside of the top 3 oline guys (none of whom are very good) the rest of the class is much of a muchness. There will be some oline guys late on who'll end up with very good careers because there always are.
Reese's philosophy of favoring and arguably overgrading perimeter players is why the line is how it is now and why it began to collapse in 2011 (run game was a disaster and the tackles were awful in pass pro; Eli's season should have won MVP) and finished in 2013. There will be high quality starter OL from this draft because every draft has them regardless of the purported strength or lack thereof.

Unfortunately it's a Catch 22 because Reese's track record shows he's a rather poor evaluator of OL talent so even trusting him to make or not make OL picks is flawed because it requires trusting him to properly evaluate the players available to pick!

Taking a small fast TE/WR hybrid at 23 to attack the seams of a C2 is nice, but the primary C2 problem is numbers at the LOS owing to the 1) run game (caused by poor blocking) and 2) teams getting home with 4 rushers (same) .

We attacked a symptom. Not the disease. We may thrive despite this but we're simply delaying another reckoning upfront a la 2013.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Very happy with the browns first day. I like the idea of adding as many picks as possible, take a shot on a 3rd round qb, and hope better ones are available next year with the ammo to go get them. Also putting a team in place is more important than botching another first round an pick

People bitching about qb have no vision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom