• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Lender

Seeing the hotelier in 10 minutes. Siked!

Awesome show, awesome band. Genuinely nice guys as well. Were so thankful to everyone for the merch they bought. I even went back a second time to get a hoodie and tipped in a little extra. Shook their hands and told them they played an awesome set and deserved the support. You could see they really appreciated it. Can't wait for the next time.

Saw Beach Slang as well on Groez btw, brilliant set as well.

Seeing the hotelier in 10 minutes. Siked!

Awesome show, awesome band. Genuinely nice guys as well. Were so thankful to everyone for the merch they bought. I even went back a second time to get a hoodie and tipped in a little extra. Shook their hands and told them they played an awesome set and deserved the support. You could see they really appreciated it. Can't wait for the next time.

Hey, another Groez GAFer! The Hotelier were so fucking good on Friday. You stay for the whole weekend? Saturday was crazy good for emo, Knapsack, Mineral and You Blew It totally killed it.

The fucking weather Thursday night was so shirty though. Putting tents up? HAVE A SHIT LOAD OF HAIL YAY! Pretty sure I nearly died of hypothermia that night.

nowarning

I haven't listened to Envy in a looooong time, I should fix that really. The last full release I heard by them was the one with "Go mad and mark" on so by my estimation that is quite a while ago.

I read Boys Life are doing a few reunion shows not sure if anything else other than that, but Topshelf is re-issuing Depatures and Landfalls so I will be picking that up.

Also if any of you guys were into Algernon Cadwallader then check out Dogs on Acid for sure, both their 7"s are class and they've got a full length coming out on Jade Tree later this year I think.

Ultima_5

does jawbreaker count? i like jawbreaker alot. the lead singer still do new stuff? i see he was in another band after jawbreaker which i'll have to check out

kiguel182

Must have been amazing.

Man, I would love to see The Hotelier live some day. They are just so good.

Lender

Hey, another Groez GAFer! The Hotelier were so fucking good on Friday. You stay for the whole weekend? Saturday was crazy good for emo, Knapsack, Mineral and You Blew It totally killed it.

The fucking weather Thursday night was so shirty though. Putting tents up? HAVE A SHIT LOAD OF HAIL YAY! Pretty sure I nearly died of hypothermia that night.
No, only managed to stay on friday. :( Totally Forgot that mineral played on friday. I wanted to see them but I went to see Lagwagon instead. It was only afterwards that I saw that they played at the same time with Mineral. :( Big bummer... Hotelier together with Beach Slang was the highlight of my day.

Beach Slang Plays another show in Belgium tomorrow by the way.

Lender

Beach Slang was awesome once again!

16820189843_072112e237_b.jpg

Ok so I know they're not emo but pop-punk but I want to bring them up anyway and I mean there's probably at least some emo influence and Matt Canino did go on to form a band with Chris Bauermeister from Jawbreaker

Latterman were the best band ever

I miss them

Man I had never noticed the RVIVR - jawbreaker link. So much love for both of them. And Latterman. And Iron Chic.

Just spotted and read through this thread, subbing to try and keep up on more recent stuff, I feel as I've gotten older I'm a lot worse at checking out new bands rather than falling back on the same old stuff.

For something a bit different all the Jawbreaker talk reminded me of how much I love the Lucero cover of kiss the bottle

does jawbreaker count? i like jawbreaker alot. the lead singer still do new stuff? i see he was in another band after jawbreaker which i'll have to check out

Yeah, Blake was doing stuff in a band called "forgetters" and they released a full-length in 2012. It's fantastic. I saw them play live about a year ago here in NYC at Death by Audio. If you mean directly after Jawbreaker, he was in the band Jets to Brazil which was also really fucking good. All three albums they put out are worth listening to.

For something a bit different all the Jawbreaker talk reminded me of how much I love the Lucero cover of kiss the bottle

I've always loved that Lucero cover of "Kiss the Bottle," though I enjoy a lot of Lucero's music in general. That Much Further West is one of my favorite albums ever.

Lender

Isn't Hotelier supposed to have a new album coming out soon? All I've seen is that re-release.

They didn't mention anything at their show at Groez, so I'm thinking it will still be a while.

8hhdpvp.jpg

Always great to see one of your favorite bands appreciate your work.

Sera O

Banned
I liked some bands in the '90s that were considered to have emo qualities, but there was a lot of overlap with other subgenres. Union of Uranus was thought of as emo-ish, probably at the time emo was more a label relating to lyrics. It does not have much in common with subsequent stuff labeled emo later (Grade, Capn Jazz, Built to Spill, Christie Front Drive, State Route, Braid) - it was more metal-ish than anything. I think that "emo" as a descriptor was one of the least informative in the scene in my area at least. I remember thinking Woodson EP by the Get Up Kids was really poppy.

I liked some bands in the '90s that were considered to have emo qualities, but there was a lot of overlap with other subgenres. Union of Uranus was thought of as emo-ish, probably at the time emo was more a label relating to lyrics. It does not have much in common with subsequent stuff labeled emo later (Grade, Capn Jazz, Built to Spill, Christie Front Drive, State Route, Braid) - it was more metal-ish than anything. I think that "emo" as a descriptor was one of the least informative in the scene in my area at least. I remember thinking Woodson EP by the Get Up Kids was really poppy.

Built to Spill was never emo. How dare you say that!

nowarning

I like Union of uranus, they've always sounded pretty crusty to me though. Would love to have a copy of that split with HHIG.

More skramz I suppose, but I picked up A Day in Black and White's "My heroes have always killed cowboys" LP last week, been after it for bloody ages but managed to find a brand new copy for 8 quid, well happy with that. Nice release, there were a lot of good bands doing stuff in the early 2000's.

ooh Braid are soo good. I keep coming back to them all the time. I was so afraid to listen to No Coast but it was completely unjustified. it's different for sure but I dig it. <3

kiguel182

I just want to share that the past Saturday I went to see Brand New in Paris. I'm from Lisbon so I had to spend some extra money on plane tickets and the like.

It was amazing. Seriously amazing. I've wanted to see them live for the longest time since they are one of my favourite bands since forever. It was a 400 people venue max and I got a pretty great spot in the third low in the later with a little elevation so I had a clean vision to the stage.

In the end I got to meet Vinny and Jessie which was surreal. In my best scenario I didn't imagine I would be talking to Jesse fucking Lacey without embarrassing myself but there I was.

I could write a ton about this but this is the gist of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzjWzJZgZs

This video is from the last song and it was probably the highlight of the show. The POV of the video is also pretty much mine. The guy that filmed this was probably by my side slightly back even if I do not appear in it.

Lender

Seeing them in september if everything goes right. Seen them twice at a festival, but always thought they'd be much better in a venue. ANd now they're finally coming to a venue. Can't wait. :)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just saw that The Hotelier is coming to the West Coast and playing a show in San Diego. I'm so going to that show.

I loved emo back in the day. The Get Up Kids were one of my favorites. I don't listen to much emo anymore, but I just wanted to say that Brand New is a legitimately amazing band. Their albums still hold up incredibly well for me today, while most of what's posted in this thread does not.

nowarning

Hoping to get to one of TGUK shows over here, I think I am working :~( Something to write home about is my shit. Missed them every time they've played over here

In the spirit of keeping this thread alive here are two recent released that I've been liking a lot:

Annabel - Having It All Final

Oso Oso - Real Stories of True People, Who Kind of Looked Like Monsters

The name of this last one pretty much demands a listen.

On a brief listen to a couple of songs off each, I can see these getting a lot of play into my head. They sound rad.

I want to second some of these recommendations!
oso oso - sounds great on the first listen, I am stoked on this.
Sup, muscles? - so good. Love the saxophone.

Also, there is a new Suis La Lune EP coming out on Topshelf on July 31

kiguel182

Unf. This is fantastic

Wouldn't be surprised if it ended up in my top 3 of the year. Which I think at the moment, after my first listen is this (premature I know, but shh), We Cool? by Rosenstock and Understanding And Everything Else by Woahnows.

I haven't listened to that second one but We Cool? and maybe this one are on my top 3 now for sure. Turnover takes the other spot.

And don't ask me to order them! That would be too hard. Even if I Sorority Noise is still in that first impressions phase ahah

I haven't listened to that second one but We Cool? and maybe this one are on my top 3 now for sure. Turnover takes the other spot.

And don't ask me to order them! That would be too hard. Even if I Sorority Noise is still in that first impressions phase ahah

Ordered lists are the devils idea. Way too difficult.

Woahnows are riffy indie punk from Plymouth. And they're super great. Not emo, but I don't see any reason emo fans wouldn't like them.

EDIT: Ok listened a couple times now. I fucking love the way they've used piano and strings to bulk up the sound. I was going to try and list out my favourite songs, but...that's really hard. They're all really good. Like I wanted to say that Corrigan is a highlight, but it's not because the rest is so damned good

Top Bottom