• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pick an anime. Make a game. Read OP

Cowboy Bebop.

Make a spacefaring adventure game with bounty hunting elements, cruising along the universe to crazy cool jazz. Gunfights would be tense standoffs with a focus on how loud firing guns in tight spaces, even cities can sound, great audiovisual feedback is necessary.

3rd person of course, movement similar to BOTW or MGSV since both of those games are incredibly responsive.

Anime: Kiki's Delivery Service
Genre: paperboy
System: Nintendo Switch, XB1, PS4
Developer: Arc Systems Works (for anime-style 3D CG)

If you do well, you earn extra rent and can move to a bigger house.
If you don't do well, you can't afford rent and must move to a smaller house.
If you break enough windows, the people will kick you out of town and the cat will stop talking to you and you must go back to your hometown.

Early easy stages: Village near the ocean, with really good weather

Later hard stages: Mountain village, with windy conditions + rain or snow

Easter egg: There is this hidden house near the exit of 3rd level. It's not on the delivery route.
A old wizard lives there and he has a striking resemblance to Miyazaki Hayao.
If you get there with enough extra time, the wizard will invite you for tea, criticize animators and iPad,
and then he will give you Nausicaa's glider.

Compared to the standard broom, it's difficult to make sharp turns but you get unlimited nitro boost.

You can sell it to the village pawn shop and receive enough money to just buy a mansion and finish the game there,
but the later hard stages become much easier with this glider, so it's worth holding onto and continue the game.

Last edited:
IsVqRJM.jpg

If you deliver at a relaxed pace like this, you won't get high scores.
You have to zoom to the window, throw the package through the window, and do kick-turn on the wall for fast acceleration and arrive at the next address in less than 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Anime: Overlord
Genre: Strategy
System: PC
Developer: Paradox Interactive

Will probably not sell well (due to PC only), but this is what I want. You'd be playing as Ainz, so your actions wouldn't be free to control everything. Unknown if limiting what you can control or whether there's a resource like Ainz's stress level. You'd be limited by Ainz's paranoia as well. Basically playing as an OP nation in a strategy game, but limited by the character's psyche and game goals (hitting certain goals in various areas).

Zannegan

Anime: Canaan
Genre: TPS/Character Action
System: Any 3D-capable system.
Developer: Platinum

I always thought Canaan would make for a great game. Since the best thing about Canaan is her nutso agility combined with freakish accuracy, I think you have to set in an open world or at least open arenas to get the most out of her crazy movement abilities. Though I'm billing this as at least half third-person shooter, the actual aiming of Canaan's guns could be almost automated for all I care. The most important thing to nail is her free-flowing movement. Zipping around the kill arena targeting enemies and avoiding attacks to activate slow-time and build your combos like a long range Bayonetta is the name of the game, not hiding behind cover, aiming down sights, and pulling off pixel perfect headshots through trial and error. You are Canaan, therefore you should feel like badass from the word go. The only question should be what level of badass you can achieve and how stylish you will look while doing it.

Given that the combat I'm envisioning is a combination of Vanquish, DMC, and Platinum's Ninja Turtles game (only, like, good) my choice for developer is obvious. Using Canaan's synesthesia as an always-on visual overlay would also make for a really interesting game mechanic and artstyle-choice--effortlessly alerting players to enemies, allies, and quest opportunities, NPC emotional states, and, from a purely visual standpoint, providing the game with a lot of color and a distinct look.

I'm also interested in seeing a "perfect" conversion of an anime's visual style in something other than a fighting game. Heavy use of LOD recommended.

Fbh

Hunter X Hunter
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: CD project Red

You create your own character who has just become a hunter. On top of the main quests there's dozens of hunter jobs you can accept but instead of being filler content all of them have their unique stories and character (hence why CD project red) . Combat is in real time but focused on being tactical, you can kill enemies really fast but so do they, so every move counts.

When you level up skills or gain new ones you don't just make them stronger, you have to choose a drawback too. It follows a high risk high reward system so the stronger the ability the bigger the drawback
So maybe you have a skill with a damage value of 10. When you level it up you can choose to add a small drawback like "cool down increased by 5 seconds" to increase its attack to 15 or you can take a bigger drawback like "using it consumes 30% of your HP" but you increase the attack to 30.

Drawbacks are varied so it's not just using HP. For example you might add conditions to use the ability like "can only use if the enemy is 10lv higher than you" or "can only use when it's raining" or "can only use when facing more than 3 enemies at the same time"

Last edited:
MHA, 3d fighter (with full destruction!), Xbox One X for all that MHA glory in 4k and as devs idk maybe the dbfz team seeing how they did just such an amazing job in the visuals.

RedLine (great anime BTW)
Racing (like burnout with elements from blur)
PS4
Criterion

really feel like this combination would be great

coppelion
open world RPG (gameplay like fallout 3/NV)
PS4, PC
Bethesda

not 100% sure on this but It feels right

fixed?

Last edited:

Makariel

Anime: Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Genre: RPG/Mecha-Sim
Developer: From Software, or resurrect the Activision folks that did Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and give them the tools and budget to make a modern AAA title.

I want to have a mecha-sim with decent singleplayer campaign! Make it with mercenary management like the recent Battletech on top of it.

Shifty

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, give it to Platinum and make it a super robot character action game. Preferably with all-new mechanics, as the tried-and-true witch time / parry stuff has been done quite a lot between Bayonetta, Transformers and NieR: Automata.

And I know, I know, "let Platinum make everything" is basically a GAF meme by now. However: One of TTGL's core elements is crazy escalation- start small, keep getting crazier until the action hits fever pitch, then double down. Then double down some more.
That sort of thing is Platinum's jam. Bayonetta, Wonderful 101 and Metal Gear Rising are perfect examples of insane escalation, so I reckon they'd be the perfect choice to make such a game.

I'd probably have it span the full TTGL arc in a similar fashion to CyberConnect2's Naruto games- all of the stuff from the anime, plus the extra Tengen Toppa content from the movies as a 'true ending'.
You'd probably have to abridge it in places to trim it down to the size of a plausible character action game, but I was not a fan of the loss of a lot of character development from the movies.
Splitting it out into two games covering the first and second halves of the show respectively could work, but it would also make an awesome mid-game fake credits "next time on TTGL" twist a-la MGSV or NieR: Automata.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Gold Member
Anime: Naruto
Genre: MOBA

Summary: Essentially Naruto characters in a MOBA setting in 3rd Person (Similar to Smite)

Classes:

Assassin/Jungle (High Base Damage/Burst/Mobility/Squishy)

- Sasuke
- Kakashi
- Itachi
- Minato
- Haku
- Shisui

Warriors/Offensive tanks (Moderate Base Damage/High HP/High Defense)

- Naruto
- A (Fourth Raikage)
- Jiraiya
- Hashirama
- Juugo
- Chouji

Support (CC/Healing/Support Abilities)

- Kabuto
- Sakura
- Tsunade
- Karin
- Shikamaru
- Ino

ADC (Ranged Attack Damage/Single target Damage)

- Deidara
- Shino Aburame
- Kankuro
- Tenten
- Sasori

Mage? (High AOE/Ranged Damage)

- Sage Kabuto
- Obito
- Pain
- Madara
- Orochimaru
- Suigetsu
- Onoki (Third Tsuchikage)
- Temari
- Konan
etc

Structures, Creeps and Jungle Camps:

- Towers/Turrets - Regular Old Japanese Watchtowers
- Inhibitors/Phoenix - Larger more powerful towers
- Nexus/Tita/Primary Objective - Tailed Beasts
- Creeps/Minions - Regular Jounin/Zetsus
- Jungle Camps - Anbu Ninja (regular camps), Boss Summons ( buff camps)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'd like to see...

Fate Apocrypha
Arena Fighting game akin to Naruto Ultimate Storm Series
Bandai Namco

Deathnote
Single player story driven/ Walking simulator like Detroit become human
Quantic Dreams

Inuyasha
Coin-op Action Adventure beat em up (Think 1989 TMNT Arcade classic, or Xmen) but with a solid story and co-op exploration
Team Ninja

Hanon

Banned
for anyone who remembers it, i think Basquash would make a cool basketball mecha game, i don't know what japanese dev makes basketball games.

Top Bottom