• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should the next Smash game come with all characters unlocked?

Deft Beck

I think it's a bit ridiculous that you have to go through basically N64 era unlock requirements to get access to characters in a game released in an increasingly online multiplayer focused scene. SF5 doesn't make you beat the story mode 15 times to unlock a single character. Almost none of the other fighting game franchises do this nowadays.

I suppose it's a series tradition, but it made no sense when I rebought Smash 4 on the Wii U and didn't feel like unlocking everybody again. Just save everyone time, please.

What do you think?

Richie

I love unlocking 'em, myself. It helps that there's various ways to unlock the characters and that the requirements have grown increasingly easier with each installment.

Relevant:

"The 3DS version came first, so the conditions for unlocking fighters, etc. are on the tough side, but I still think they come a decent amount easier than in previous titles.

"Also, there are a lot of fans who really love the ”Challenger Approaching!" bits where new characters break into the battle. Even if they know who's coming up, they still see the ensuing battle as a lot of fun. I had considered just opening up all the fighters from the start on the Wii U, but I left those fights in mainly for those kind of fans.

"Either way, this is a game you can still play long after you've unlocked everyone, so I don't think it's a big problem." — Masahiro Sakurai

jonno394

I'm already disappointed that everything is unlocked in mk8d. If its a port of smash wii u, I think the game should come with an option at the beginning. Unlock everything or not.

Platy

Kinda. Not like half the roster like brawl, but one or two is always fun, specially if they don't spoil how to get them on random dojo

Deft Beck

I love unlocking 'em, myself. It helps that there's various ways to unlock the characters and that the requirements have grown increasingly easier with each installment.

From what I recall, Smash 4 on the Wii U scales up the difficulty of each character you try to unlock. If you whiff the match, you have to fulfill the requirement again. It's tedious.

Just give them to me without the unnecessary effort.

True Fire

It needs to be consistent with 8D. Smash 5 is a whole other ballgame, but 4 Switch needs to have all characters unlocked

I was bummed by how much of the roster in 4 was available from the start. Luigi being there from the beginning just felt wrong.

Unlocks also give incentive to try out all the other crazy crap in the game you might not otherwise touch. I loved how much hidden stuff there was in Melee to discover. That was legitimately half the fun of the game for me.

At least meet both ways and have a cheat code or something to unlock everyone at once.

J-Tier

I personally think all multiplayer fighting game should have all characters unlocked from the get go.

I still play couch co-op on a regular basis, so having to unlock characters actually is a chore.

I would even PAY a small fee for a full roster unlock from the get go

If the next Smash is a deluxe version of Wii U/3DS, then yes, please be unlocked up front.

If the next Smash is a new game, then either way is fine.

Unlocking characters is occasionally fun, but not when you've basically played the game before

Deft Beck

I was bummed by how much of the roster in 4 was available from the start. Luigi being there from the beginning just felt wrong.

Unlocks also give incentive to try out all the other crazy crap in the game you might not otherwise touch.

At least meet both ways and have a cheat code or something to unlock everyone at once.

I was inspired to make the thread after discovering the Puyo Puyo Tetris unlock everything code. What a relief.

I really dislike having content locked in a game like Smash, especially since the save data was not able to be backed up...Not to mention the ridiculous methods to unlock custom moves which were required.

I understand the fun in unlocking things, so I think the solution would be to design the game to have content that can be unlocked through traditional means, but also include an unlock all cheat code that can be entered for those who wish to access all the content of a game right away.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that you have to go through basically N64 era unlock requirements to get access to characters in a game released in an increasingly online multiplayer focused scene. SF5 doesn't make you beat the story mode 15 times to unlock a single character. Almost none of the other fighting game franchises do this nowadays.

I suppose it's a series tradition, but it made no sense when I rebought Smash 4 on the Wii U and didn't feel like unlocking everybody again. Just save everyone time, please.

What do you think?

all chars unlocked? na..
tons of dlc chars? no......

my ideal solution is everything for the game cost.. make it a "post-launch" support...
trust me that when you start adding content every 1/2 months, the number of people selling the game used (and effectively cutting on the publisher//developer revenue) will decrease...

I was inspired to make the thread after discovering the Puyo Puyo Tetris unlock everything code. What a relief.

I really think stuff like that is the best-case scenario. Keeps the fun for people who love finding secret stuff, but also reduces the hassle if you just want to play with your favourite characters/stages. F-Zero X had an unlock everything code too and that was a godsend.

Richie

From what I recall, Smash 4 on the Wii U scales up the difficulty of each character you try to unlock. If you whiff the match, you have to fulfill the requirement again. It's tedious.

Just give them to me without the unnecessary effort.

IIRC if you fail the battle you can just go hace a single VS match and the unlockable will challenge you anew, no?

PSqueak

Banned
if it's another port of smash 4, it shouldn't have a unlock requirements.

If it's Smash "5", it should have unlock requirements.

J-Tier

No, unlocking is fun, ya ol' stick in the mud! It's not like it takes more than a day or two anyway.
It's fun if you treat it like a single player game and have the luxury of time. Not so much for those of us who have a bunch of buddies over excited to play the game for the first time, and you've allotted this hangout time after syncing up all your schedules between work, life, etc.

I've done that for a few games, and it always ends with one of us rushing through whatever necessary tasks to unlock them quickly, while everyone else is sitting around waiting to play the full roster.

KHlover

Banned
MP only guys will hate me, but my opinion is no. WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING > instant mp gratification

Maybe have a hidden code input or a menu option for those who want every character instantly.
Have people work for the stages, tho.

Why not have a button combination that unlocks all the characters?
That way people who want to can unlock them for fun, and for others they can have them all to start.

No because it's super easy to unlock them as is with the various methods. You can just have computer versus matches to get everything.

As someone who plays singleplayer Smash for quite a bit when I first get the game I love the feeling of unlocking new characters through my singleplayer actions.

phaonaut

Unlocks and progression in multiplayer games is terrible. Especially when they are locked to certain modes.

I honestly don't see it being any different than pay to win games.

If it's just a port, then yes.

If it's a new game, then just let me unlock them easily if I'm not that person who wants to wait to have the character that they'll inevitably spend all of their time on anyway.

I don't want guests coming over not able to play characters because I don't have them.

NewGame

Banned
The worst thing about Smash4 was unlocking everything.

I know because the save data on my 3DS was corrupted and then I found out the WiiU version which is the exact same damn game doesn't move your save data across.

I kind of wish we could have a few secret characters that weren't revealed beforehand. I don't know how feasible that is now with everyone wanting to know everything from the start, but I guess getting them revealed in hype trailers is probably overall more fun and everyone can experience it at the same time.

Smash 5, no, because it's a new Smash game.

However, if there's a Smash 4 port for Switch, yes, 100% (and also unlock all stages and custom moves while you're at it). I don't want to re-unlock everything in that game again.

Richie

It's fun if you treat it like a single player game and have the luxury of time. Not so much for those of us who have a bunch of buddies over excited to play the game for the first time, and you've allotted this hangout time after syncing up all your schedules between work, life, etc.

I've done that for a few games, and it always ends with one of us rushing through whatever necessary tasks to unlock them quickly, while everyone else is sitting around waiting to play the full roster.

You unlock a new character every ten VS matches, you folks could play up and get to them that way.

Why make it so awkward? Just let them directly retry or just skip it all entirely.

I guess it's simply far from a hassle worth mentioning to me, it's done quickly enough. Plus I dig the feeling of earning the full roster. I completed the entire Wii U challenge board so you can see I love the thrill of unlockables in my Smash.

Custom moves definitely need a rework though.

Bovine

Neo Member
They should have some sort of cheat code to press to unlock everyone for those who want to rush in, a lot of people (including myself) enjoy the unlock fights.

OnPoint

all chars unlocked? na..
tons of dlc chars? no......

my ideal solution is everything for the game cost.. make it a "post-launch" support...
trust me that when you start adding content every 1/2 months, the number of people selling the game used (and effectively cutting on the publisher//developer revenue) will decrease...
This.

J-Tier

You unlock a new character every ten VS matches, you folks could play up and get to them that way.

I guess it's simply far from a hassle worth mentioning to me, it's done quickly enough. Plus I dig the feeling of earning the full roster.
They need to work out a way to appease both. Respect the time of those who want to play the full experience immediately, and allow those who want to earn the full roster to do so. If I only have a few hours to hang, this still becomes a problem.

The solution could be a cheat code, or paid/free DLC unlock.

Maybe next time they could do a Splatoon like release where the roster could be updated once a month or every couple weeks with a new character.

robotrock

Banned
every fighting game should have a cheat code that lets me do this

i know smash isn't one but still it should let me do this

Firebrand

Keep them unlockable through both SP and MP, but do add cheat codes or a menu option for the impatient.

I haven't played Smash since Melee but I loved how we'd randomly get "A new challenger!" during multiplayer sessions.

PSqueak

Banned
Why not have a button combination that unlocks all the characters?
That way people who want to can unlock them for fun, and for others they can have them all to start.

This could work, basically make it like shadow mewtwo in pokken: Have an unlock method you have to input every time you wanna use him (card) until you unlock him in story mode.

KingBroly

Banned
Character unlocking isn't a problem

Unlocking all of the Special Moves, however, IS a problem. I did it twice. I will not do it a third time

Top Bottom