• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

zbarron

I'm in an acoustic phase right now, but there's rarely anything I feel like posting. I guess I could try and start a conversation. :p
What do you have?

Yes, try 80/20 strings. You could also try getting a set with lighter bass strings. I seem to recall that in the dim recesses of my brain.
I've seen Bluegrass strings but that's basically the opposite of what I'm looking for.
Try varying where you are strumming/picking/plucking— all the way from the last frets of the neck to the bridge.
I've tried this. It's amazing the difference in sound you can get by doing this.
Try strumming with the flesh of your thumb instead of a pick.
This is actually what I did the minute I got my guitar. I've played Ukulele for a few months before getting a guitar and that's what I liked doing. Within 5 minute I had a big blister on the outside of my thumb. I won't be doing that again. I did pick up some thumb picks that I'm really enjoying since it's similar in motion. Anyone here use them?
Save your money for something other than a dreadnaught.
Is this in direct reference to the boominess or just a general thing? Do you not like them?

I've lowered the action a bit more and gotten a bit better in the past few days so the boominess is less of an issue, and eventually I'll try different strings, but I just got Rocksmith 2014 and a sound hole pickup with a 1/4" coupler I'm going to wait a bit before buying some strings so my wife doesn't kill me.

What do you have?

Nothing I haven't posted in the thread in the past five years.

Acoustics:
Eastman OM
A&L parlour
Johnson biscuit bridge brass body reso
Larson 12-string tricone wood body reso

Within 5 minute I had a big blister on the outside of my thumb.

Do it again, take it a little more easy. You will get a callus there. I still get the blister if I go ham on one of my resonators for the first time in a blue moon.

I have used thumb and finger picks; thumb pick was until I got comfortable holding a flat pick as a kid. Have tried full thumb and finger picks on my resos for volume and I fucking hate them— would rather wear a raincoat in the shower.

Is this in direct reference to the boominess or just a general thing? Do you not like them?

Sometimes I choose to be a goddamn hipster and 95% of acoustics are dreads. I can honestly say I prefer the sound of smaller acoustics but it may be uncomfortably close to true that the impetus for trying them is being a contrarian.

Horses for courses-- I never flatpick acoustic and am a firm believer in the power of electromechanical amplification, so the draw of the dreadnaught that caused it to rise to eminence has had no sway.

zbarron

Nothing I haven't posted in the thread in the past five years.

Acoustics:
Eastman OM
A&L parlour
Johnson biscuit bridge brass body reso
Larson 12-string tricone wood body reso

Do it again, take it a little more easy. You will get a callus there. I still get the blister if I go ham on one of my resonators for the first time in a blue moon.

I have used thumb and finger picks; thumb pick was until I got comfortable holding a flat pick as a kid. Have tried full thumb and finger picks on my resos for volume and I fucking hate them— would rather wear a raincoat in the shower.

Sometimes I choose to be a goddamn hipster and 95% of acoustics are dreads. I can honestly say I prefer the sound of smaller acoustics but it may be uncomfortably close to true that the impetus for trying them is being a contrarian.

Horses for courses-- I never flatpick acoustic and am a firm believer in the power of electromechanical amplification, so the draw of the dreadnaught that caused it to rise to eminence has had no sway.
Right on. I find resonators fascinating and know little about them. I liked the parlor I tried at my local guitar store but my guitar was one of the better rated ones in my budget of roughly fuck all.

I'm going to let this blister fully heal first and then I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

This is my uke next to my guitar so yeah I'm down with smaller bodies too.
img_20161104_133331l6yzr.jpg

I currently only own an Ibanez RG1527 and I serioulsy GAS'ing for an Ibanez RG752AHM-NGB.

At some point I have owned :

Ibanez JS1000BP '01
Ibanez JEM7VBSL '04
Ibanez JEM77VBK ' 07
Ibanez UV777PBK '10

Yeah I gave my soul to Ibanez decades ago. The only other brand I would like to try is a JP 7 string from Ernie Ball eventhough I quit owning signatures years ago.

Scottify

I completed my first project guitar. A cheap-o I bought at a local pawnshop. Refinished and replaced all the old hardware with new hardware.
TonePros bridge & tailpiece
Seymour Duncan - JB in the bridge & Jazz in the neck
Hipshot locking tuners
GraphTech Tusq nut
Switchcraft toggle & input jack
Bourns 500k pots

Q3TS7oi.jpg

gPEy0ZG.jpg

1mvul2x.jpg

IAKJVn7.jpg

A question for you guys. So I was at guitar center tonight just to see what they had, and they're having a sale on a lot of gibson stuff. They have an explorer marked down to $999 that I'm super tempted to buy. I've been looking at used ones as well but they're like $800+. So with shipping I'd be spending $900 - $1000 anyway.

So should I go ahead and get this new one they have, or keep looking at used ones? My budget is probably $1200 max.

The other thing is, I was also thinking about maybe getting a schecter e-1. Which is an explorer like body, which is what I'm after. They go for $899 new, but I'll never find one in a store to try out.

Very nice job Frackh! I'm rebuilding my Ibanez Artist right now and your work on that Les Paul is inspiring. How did you fill the chip/cracks around the tuners?

Scottify

Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I just used standard wood filler, Elmer's I think? Fill it, let it dry, sand it, rinse and repeat. Worked pretty well I think

Scottify

The painting I think is where I went wrong. It's just a standard blue sparkle Krylon spray paint and that went on well. I bought the wrong sealer though so it's not as glossy as I'd have liked it, but it's still protected.

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my setup. I have several guitars, but only two that are really worth playing.

The acoustic I use is an older Martin:

My go-to is a 30th Anniversary PRS Custom 24, it's plays incredibly:

Lastly, my amp and pedals. Not the best amp in the world, but it gets the job done. I love the Morley Mark Tremonti Wah Pedal.

I've seen a lot of great stuff in this thread, keep it up!

Top Bottom