• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving the show so far, and this is my first manga in 10+ years. The problem I had with manga is that they drag and drag the shows to no end. Just wondering since the books are out there, is this show gonna drag on forever or is there a definitive number of episodes set?
Thanks

The anime is set to run for 25 episodes. The manga is still going and won't finish before the anime ends. What will probably happen is the anime will end at an alright stopping point and another season will be greenlit when the manga gets further ahead.

Daingurse

I was confused about what recap they were referring too. I guess after One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto/Shippuden, my idea of recap is anything seven+ minutes and longer :(

tumblr_lkcjuhZ57d1qb5yooo1_500.gif

One Piece recaps make me rage, I thought the recap people were complaining about was something on that level. But it was a very transparent attempt to pad the episode, so I understand the complaints. Didn't personally bother me much.

Nothing will beat the weekly One Piece recaps. There's nothing new until AT LEAST the 5 minute mark. That's what I was expecting to happen here. Was worried for nothing.

Subitai

The anime is set to run for 25 episodes. The manga is still going and won't finish before the anime ends. What will probably happen is the anime will end at an alright stopping point and another season will be greenlit when the manga gets further ahead.
Yeah, I hope they don't make up an ending like with Claymore.

Akito

In their defense, it's not always super-easy to conclude an anime series based on an ongoing manga.

Case-in-point: Berserk
Eh, I would have preferred them letting it end like Berserk, i.e. also no real conclusion but there would have been no nonsensical DBZ style ending battle either. And if they wanted to go for an anime original ending, they should have let the story diverge at an earlier point than right before the end (e.g. the first FMA series or to some extent Soul Eater).

LogicStep

Ep 7

This episode was amazing.
That titan is obviously Eren. So much rage and hate plus the green eyes and hair. That's cool, but I wonder if he'll stay like that or if he'll be able to comunicate later on or what.
This anime is fucking amazing. Love the action, the animation and the music and sound.

Roubjon

I watched all of the episodes in a day and it's pretty damn rad. I haven't watched an anime while it airs in the longest time. I also made this:

I can't wait for the damn soundtrack. Sawano's work in Unicorn had me worshipping him, and I'm totally loving everything I've heard from this series.

Take that duckroll! :p

Subitai

Eh, I would have preferred them letting it end like Berserk, i.e. also no real conclusion but there would have been no nonsensical DBZ style ending battle either. And if they wanted to go for an anime original ending, they should have let the story diverge at an earlier point than right before the end (e.g. the first FMA series or to some extent Soul Eater).
Neither way is real satisfying, but it seems this show is easily popular enough to plan to continue into another season. That isn't the case though for most other shows unfortunately.

Dahbomb

So why is this anime so popular when others have fallen by the way side? Is it just the storyline?
I don't know if its even really popular or not but here's what got me interested in it.

*The setting. Its post apocalyptic but in a different time era which puts extra limitations on the characters in terms of technology at their disposal. Its not a hard fantasy show either, as of yet there aren't fairies and unicorns running around, the titans are really the only supernatural beings showcased thus far.

*Survival element against a foe that can't be reasoned with, can't be understood plainly. Its a similar fascination that people have to the zombie genre, I mean its basically the same here but the zombies are giants. The technology limits and the overwhelming situations makes for a harrowing experience.

*Action is generally good but not only that its different from your regular shonen. As of yet characters don't throw fireballs, fly or do other superhuman feats (at least as of yet things may change). This makes situations more tense than usual.

*Still a mostly character driven show with a smidgen of mystery thrown in for good measure. I personally don't care about the mysteries in the world sort of like I don't care who and what causes a zombie apocalypse. Shit has hit the fan, people have to deal with it.

*Show is fairly serious and grim dark at times. While it does have some light moments during side story time the general tone is somber. Characters may overreact at times with the screaming but you definitely get the idea that most characters are in way over their heads.

*The presentation has been solid. Action scenes have been spectacular, the sound design spot on and the art has been fine. Yes some sacrifices are made with some tipsy CG effects and still shots but at least the show puts its budget where it matters.

*Kids who are badasses. Enough said.

*The presentation has been solid. Action scenes have been spectacular, the sound design spot on and the art has been fine. Yes some sacrifices are made with some tipsy CG effects and still shots but at least the show puts its budget where it matters.

There was only one really noticeable part with the CG that was particularly jarring, not to say that there isn't more; it only really bothered me once, is all.

I started watching this show yesterday and caught up today, really enjoying it so far.

I don't know if its even really popular or not

On one of the few occasions where I've visited the manga thread, everyone was talking about how well the manga volumes were selling. idk how it's doing outside japan or as an anime though

EDIT: THE 8 BIT VERSION OF THE THEME SONG IS TRANSCENDENT OH MY GOODNESS

sonicmj1

Not really.

Japan is pushing out a ton of generic crap.
Its no wonder Titan has floated to the top.

The Blu-ray pre-orders support its popularity.

Not really.

I mean, if you just look at the AOTY results thread for 2012, five of the top ten, including two of the top three, are shows that aren't set in high school, and pretty much the entire list is low on creepy fanservice. Saying stuff like that shows that you aren't paying attention to the stuff being released.

Titan is doing well because the manga is doing well, and the manga is doing well because the setting has a pretty fantastic hook: a unique level of "low" technology, an unusual and relentless foe, and a heady mix of youth empowerment and stark despair.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Not really.

I mean, if you just look at the AOTY results thread for 2012, five of the top ten, including two of the top three, are shows that aren't set in high school, and pretty much the entire list is low on creepy fanservice. Saying stuff like that shows that you aren't paying attention to the stuff being released.

Titan is doing well because the manga is doing well, and the manga is doing well because the setting has a pretty fantastic hook: a unique level of "low" technology, an unusual and relentless foe, and a heady mix of youth empowerment and stark despair.

I don't think that's entirely indicative...

Not really.

Most of them may not be exactly set in High School but a significant majority involve school age students, and their interactions within that framework. K-On the Movie isn't set in high school technically, but it is definitely about high school and the relationships formed during that period of life.

1 Hyouka - High school
2 Fate/Zero 2nd Season - No
3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - No
4 Tsuritama - High School
5 Kids on the Slope - High School
6 Girls und Panzer - High School
7 Space Brothers - No
8 From the New World - Middle/High School (most of it)
9 Humanity Has Declined - High(?) School (Some of it)
10 K-On! The Movie - High School Girls

Anime loves it's high school.

So why is this anime so popular when others have fallen by the way side? Is it just the storyline?

The lead chracter is one of the mediums best, key favorite characters have deep character interactions spawning an excellently developed fandom, great character designs, and the concept is fresh.

It was a popular manga already, so word of mouth probably helped it be greatly anticipated.

Branduil

Most of them may not be exactly set in High School but a significant majority involve school age students, and their interactions within that framework. K-On the Movie isn't set in high school technically, but it is definitely about high school and the relationships formed during that period of life.

1 Hyouka - High school
2 Fate/Zero 2nd Season - No
3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - No
4 Tsuritama - High School
5 Kids on the Slope - High School
6 Girls und Panzer - High School
7 Space Brothers - No
8 From the New World - Middle/High School (most of it)
9 Humanity Has Declined - High(?) School (Some of it)
10 K-On! The Movie - High School Girls

Anime loves it's high school.

Humanity Has Declined only involves school for two episodes. And From the New World is not really a school show in the conventional meaning of the term.

Yah, just finished catching up on the manga and I've been following the show as well. With both the manga and anime being a success, there seems like there's a strong possibility there might very well be a second season. I just hope that the series doesn't go the way of Bleach. Here's to hoping that it ends around 50 or something episodes like FMA did.

Manga Spoilers:

I mean there's way too much content to fit within the allotted 25-26 episodes Production I.G. currently has scheduled. Especially with that giant ape titan thing. They have yet to explain who or what that is (and why it can communicate with humans) along with why they're trying to kidnap titan Eren and Ymir when they're already on chapter 46. Other questions include where the titans came from, what's underneath Eren's house, etc.

Not really.

Japan is pushing out a ton of generic crap.
Its no wonder Titan has floated to the top.

The Blu-ray pre-orders support its popularity.

Most of that crap is aimed at the hardcore anime fan. SnK, JJBA, things westerners like are aimed at everyone. In Japan liking anime is not normal by any means. Meaning the creepy otaku is the one buying everything, and the makers want to get paid.

Velti

Neo Member
I'm here to emulsify your fats.

With my bile.

Critical rant - Episode 7

This show has the most awful, wasteful pacing I have ever seen. It takes 20 minutes to go through 3 minutes of in universe time.

Also, WTF kind of crap army is this?! Has no one here heard of situational awareness? The streets are not murky pits of tar that the titans leap out of of, shark like. They are large, well lit avenues. Look the **** around you before jetting off into space.

If only they had some kind of special training, or tight organization, like some kind of... army... ?! You mean... that Full Metal Jacket thing from earlier was just a bunch of fluff and bull, with no meaning? IS THERE NO THOUGHT PUT INTO THIS SERIES?

And the Titans better well have emerged during the Dark Ages or some nonsense, b/c for real, they'd be taken out real quick now-a-days. Uranium tipped tank rounds to the back of the neck, drone strikes, rail guns...

But even then, low tech humans have completely eradicated a HECK of a lot of species, many of them very big, and very mean. Hm.

WHY DO I KEEP WATCHING. It keeps tricking me into thinking it gets better, but all I get is a bunch of stupid people making stupid decisions. And seriously, I don't even remember what the music was like. It made no impression.

The pomegranate was a pleasant surprise, though. I wonder if it refers to that myth, like others have said, in regards to the "friendly giant?" Or is it simply another metaphor for Mikasa's strict adherence to biological survival of the fittest? See: the fecundity of the fruit- all the seeds spreading it's genes.

Meh. I'm done for now. I'll be back next week to paradoxically waste another 24 minutes of my life on this show.

I'm here to emulsify your fats.

With my bile.

Critical rant - Episode 7

This show has the most awful, wasteful pacing I have ever seen. It takes 20 minutes to go through 3 minutes of in universe time.

Also, WTF kind of crap army is this?! Has no one here heard of situational awareness? The streets are not murky pits of tar that the titans leap out of of, shark like. They are large, well lit avenues. Look the **** around you before jetting off into space.

If only they had some kind of special training, or tight organization, like some kind of... army... ?! You mean... that Full Metal Jacket thing from earlier was just a bunch of fluff and bull, with no meaning? IS THERE NO THOUGHT PUT INTO THIS SERIES?

And the Titans better well have emerged during the Dark Ages or some nonsense, b/c for real, they'd be taken out real quick now-a-days. Uranium tipped tank rounds to the back of the neck, drone strikes, rail guns...

But even then, low tech humans have completely eradicated a HECK of a lot of species, many of them very big, and very mean. Hm.

WHY DO I KEEP WATCHING. It keeps tricking me into thinking it gets better, but all I get is a bunch of stupid people making stupid decisions. And seriously, I don't even remember what the music was like. It made no impression.

The pomegranate was a pleasant surprise, though. I wonder if it refers to that myth, like others have said, in regards to the "friendly giant?" Or is it simply another metaphor for Mikasa's strict adherence to biological survival of the fittest? See: the fecundity of the fruit- all the seeds spreading it's genes.

Meh. I'm done for now. I'll be back next week to paradoxically waste another 24 minutes of my life on this show.
What do you think of the music?

There's a lot of stuff out there with neither...

Personally, I wish there was more anime out right now like Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass, Guilty Crown.

Hell, even if we got some good "high school" animes again such as Toradora or After story I would be content.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Personally, I wish there was more anime out right now like Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass, Guilty Crown.

Hell, even if we got some good "high school" animes again such as Toradora or After story I would be content.

What in the Yeezus fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom