• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

What about no-disc options, though? That'll be much sooner.

Maybe no-disc versions of consoles in a decade. It really all depends on how quickly the internet infrastructure get upgraded in the U.S. Other than cellular networks, it's happening at a snails pace.

Chipworks' measurement of the PS4 chip is 348mm^2. I'm not sure where you're pulling the 342 from.

I don't know what reference size this is supposed to be.

edit: make sure you're not counting the epoxy resin at the edges as well, makes it trickier given the low resolution. I've used 95 x 63 pixels for the chip. Unfortunately, the right side of the chip is potentially obscured.

edit2:

The Cypress CYUSB3312 chip there appears to be QFN (exposed leads on the 4 edges, whereas BGA would not have those), which is 10 mm x 10 mm @ 44 x 44 pixels, which leads me back to the results I got with using the DDR3 chip as a reference.

95 x 63 pixels -> ~310mm^2
100 x 63 pixels -> ~325mm^2 (if the chip extends into that red part a few more pixels)
342mm² comes from 18*19mm
But you're right chip works used 18.3*19mm =348mm²

The inner borders of the Sata port are 35mm

XBOX Scorpio seems to be ~17*21mm
Ps 4 Pro seems to be ~14*22mm or 14*23mm

So you're right. The Ps4 SOC looks as big as the Scorpio SOC, but the hight is a little bit less and that results in ~30mm² diesize or even up to ~40mm²
pretty interesting how 1mm in height changes the SOC size from "basically the same size" to 30mm² less area

Pantz

Man I'm feeling confused about buying games right now. Will Xbox One games on Scorpio going forward will always be the best version over the Pro? What about older Xbox One games I wonder if they can be better versions if they were previously stuck at 900p?

There's a lot of good sales this weekend and even some deals for $10 bonus credit on pre-orders. I already got a Pro but am definitely getting a Scorpio too. I just don't know if I can commit to buying multi-platform games on it yet.

-hadouken

Man I'm feeling confused about buying games right now. Will Xbox One games on Scorpio going forward will always be the best version over the Pro? What about older Xbox One games I wonder if they can be better versions if they were previously stuck at 900p?
As someone who still mains Battlefield 4, having the Scorpio upscale the 720P X1 version to something higher would be enticing. Don't think it's on the cards tho.

Yoday

There's a lot of good sales this weekend and even some deals for $10 bonus credit on pre-orders. I already got a Pro but am definitely getting a Scorpio too. I just don't know if I can commit to buying multi-platform games on it yet.
The only way a Scorpio version wouldn't be better than a PS4 Pro version of a game is if the developer simply didn't try and locked them both in at the same settings for some bizarre reason, or if the game was simple enough to already be maxed out at native 4K on the Pro.

The question of older games being updated is anyone's guess. Developers have known about it for awhile now, so it's possible many games from the last year or so just need a quick run through the dev kit. The positive aspect is that it sounds like the porting process is incredibly easy and fast. If it's as they say then we could see a while lot of updates of older games. I'm personally anticipating most DX12 based games to get an update, and I'd be surprised if we don't see updates for all first party games from the end of 2015 forward. Hell, MS has a history of sending techs to other developers to help with porting, so I wouldn't be surprised if MS put together a team to go do the work for other developers if it really does only take a few days for a single developer to do a port.

I have a feeling we're going to hear more about this at E3 as MS and third party developers start to open up about their experience with dev kits and their plans for past and future games.

Chris1

Console should be black/dark grey. They need to separate it from the S somehow since judging by the dev kit, it won't look too much different.

I agree they will do something with design lab for both the S and Scorpio

Zedox

Design lab for S and Scorpio would be what i want. Scorpio default should be two time black and space grey with white button.

Ambient80

I wonder if they would extend the surface branding to Scorpio? Xbox Surface? Kinda odd but not out of the question. It would be their premium Xbox to go along with premium laptop/desktop/tablet.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I wonder if they would extend the surface branding to Scorpio? Xbox Surface? Kinda odd but not out of the question. It would be their premium Xbox to go along with premium laptop/desktop/tablet.

The point of the Surface name is that the "surface" is the touch screen which is the focus of the product. Unless it's handheld with an embedded touchscreen I doubt it'll carry that brand.

Targeting higher clock speeds with the same design and process will invariably reduce yields. How much of an impact that will have on production costs is harder to estimate but it's a factor. So the SoC is more expensive to produce, RAM will be 50% more expensive, the optical drive is modestly more expensive. The power supply and cooling solution are likely to be more expensive, too, and I'm expecting the industrial design to be attention grabbing with some associated cost.

$399 would be an aggressive price point.
More aggressive clocks do tend to reduce yields, but they claim that the hovis method that they are using solves the problem.

In short, they analyze the chip as soon as its produced and adjust voltage values to get the desired clock, instead of having a single voltage to all that would make some chips be discarded.

What color do you guys think Scorpio will be officially? Black or White? Something else...
The fact that they were so reluctant into having a black S makes me think that they are saving that color for Scorpio.

However I think that there will be a white variant too. And likely other colors.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
so you guys thinking this will come out in August or what

it'd be nice to play most of the big 3rd party games on this thing day one

gamz

August/September before all the big 3rd party games appear.

Yeah, I can't see them missing the big games. It seems it's been finished for at least 2-3 months.

I see them doing what they did with the S. Release the more expensive ver first.

so you guys thinking this will come out in August or what

it'd be nice to play most of the big 3rd party games on this thing day one
I hope it come out in august lol before destiny 2 or even the big games like cod , star war battlefront etc so ms can show what the console can do but i expect sep/oct

Yoday

It can't release until the next big Windows update releases. August is pretty much out of the question, and September is highly unlikely. Chances are they will aim for mid to late October if they want to minimize missing big releases, otherwise they'll stick to November.

It can't release until the next big Windows update releases. August is pretty much out of the question, and September is highly unlikely. Chances are they will aim for mid to late October if they want to minimize missing big releases, otherwise they'll stick to November.

Why is that?

gamz

That makes zero sense.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Prediction is still August 22nd for Scorpio. Looks the same as the Slim but in solid black with a green "X' logo on the top of it ala the original Xbox.

$400 for 1TB, $500 for 2TB and Shadow of War digital download pack in bundle. $500 AC Origins 2TB bundle in November.

A good price for the base with one bundle for the late summer/early fall and one holiday bundle with AC. Good use of the marketing deals and you don't have to wait unless you really want to. Wanting to wait is very different from having to wait.

Personally, if I have to wait FIVE months for Scorpio and a few games that I want to play are weeks/months earlier, im not simply not going to wait. I'll just play the multi-platform games on PS4 Pro. E3 will either build the hype and momentum for Scorpio going into it being released or it will do the opposite based on the price and release date.

Lady Gaia

More aggressive clocks do tend to reduce yields, but they claim that the hovis method that they are using solves the problem.

It definitely doesn't solve the problem altogether or we'd see them running at higher clock speeds still, but it's clear they believe it will mitigate the problem sufficiently to hit their goals. We still don't know what those goals look like from a pricing perspective, only from a raw performance perspective.

The prospect of a diskless system is intriguing and would play into the hints that the form factor will be a surprise. I just don't see how it would work as a mid-generation release with an emphasis on compatibility with Xbox One and 360 software.

Doffen

Sure it can. Surface Studio and Surface Book with Performance Base didn't wait for Creators Update. Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL didn't wait for the RTM version of Windows 10 mobile. Xbox One S didn't wait for the fall update.

AmyS

You guys saying August or September forget Scorpio coming "Holiday 2017".

The hardware would be ready, but Microsoft will want as many games as possible to be ready with Scorpio enhancements.

October would be the earliest but Holiday means November.

gamz

You guys saying August or September forget Scorpio coming "Holiday 2017".

The hardware would be ready, but Microsoft will want as many games as possible to be ready with Scorpio enhancements.

October would be the earliest but Holiday means November.

Time frames change all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom