• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Stop Giving Evil Characters Brown Skin'

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't see any skin in these pictures. Lions have fur, you know. Sure, he has darker hair. But green eyes, which is lighter than Mufasa's eye color. Doesn't seem like a very good example.

Do you think they just randomly used whatever colors they happened to pick up when designing these characters?

https://twitter.com/mic/status/868132133348319233

This should seem like racial politics 101, and yet this pattern still continues. Another recent example is Hyrule Warriors' characters Lana and Cia. Both are more or less the same person, yet the evil Cia is given notably darker skin for no apparent reason.

This isn't to somehow say people with dark skin can't be portrayed as villains. But it's damn noticeable when your shortcut to show "this is evil version of ____" is to give them a tan.

In short: Yo, stop with this basic-ass shit. You should know better by now.

so some 30 second twitter clip that only shows one game is proof this horrible pattern?

Hatty

That's green!

Just realized that Ganondorf is just a buff Roger

Zhy1aGe.jpg

SkyOdin

Ganondorf has actually a solid lore reason for it as he is a Gerudo.
It is a bit strange though, considering that Ganondorf as a character pre-dates the Gerudo. In ALttP, he was simply referred to as a thief, with no indication that he wasn't Hylian, since he didn't appear in human form at any point. Before that, there was no indication that Ganon was ever not a pig-demon.

It is certainly possible that they designed the Gerudo as a whole to match Ganondorf's backstory as a thief. It is true that the OoT Gerudo have very little role outside of being Ganondorf's followers. Breath of the Wild was the first time the Gerudo escaped that role as thieves, pirates, and brigands.

I really liked how Breath of the Wild ironed over a lot of these issues so well. All the care they put into developing the Gerudo culture, the variety of skin tones for Gerudo and Hylians, and Urbosa's line about how
she was furious that Ganon had once taken the form of her people and unfairly placed a blight on her culture's history

Stop whitewashing evil characters I say :(

Wex8K.jpg

Fuck you Nomura.

Xehanort has always been dark skin. Even in the prequel, Birth By Sleep, the original old guy had the same skin color, so they didn't do any skin swapping. The only time there was a skin change is Terra but that is because he literally is sharing a body with that guy.

Wozman23

Separate from skin tone, darker hues, and specifically black, represent evil. I don't think that symbolism has any racist roots. It's more like angels wearing white or wearing a white wedding dress vs or dressing in black for a funeral or hiding in the shadows.

Whether something is black or white can evoke an emotion while not being inherently racist.

It never even crossed my mind that Gandondorf has a skin tone. In my head he's a drab green.

Granted, I'm a white dude.

Mechazawa

Nintendo is the worst about this.

Dark Link? Dark Samus? Dark Pit?

Seriously?

There's a difference between "stop making your bad guy look closer to minorities" and "stop using themes like light vs dark"

Like, Dark Samus are you forreal.

Also, shittin' on Ganondorf is fair game and the green skin thing is stupid semantics since the ultimate point is that Nintendo coopted some gypsy-esque imagery for his design.

diaspora

Fire Emblem Awakening.

Father:

Son/Daughter:

Edit: All of the antagonist Plegians are dark skinned and all the Plegians that you get in your party including Tharja, Henry, and Robin are all light skinned. I know you can recruit Aversa and Gangrel in the DLC, but shit...

pizzacat

Banned
with sf its done to differentiate

even in sfiv when they were using 3d models since ryu had this as an alt costume and looked too similar to e ryu

RYU2.jpg

the most current e ryu artwork has him white

latest

sephi22

One of the reasons why I dislike Akuma as a character. The satsui no hado magically made a Japanese guy go from yellow to brown.

They did Thailand dirty too making all their reps evil with Adon, Sagat and Bison. Atleast Sagat got a face turn.

As glad as I am that Indians are the good guys with Dhalsim and Dudley, Street Fighter is still evil minorities the video game.

Play Guilty Gear instead, y'all.

I agree with the premise, essentially that if your hero is fair skinned/white don't make the bad guy notably darker skinned since that can internalize it at an early age.
Though it's a bit weird that all the characters shown are like 15 years old at this point.
Cia, as mentioned in the OP is a bit newer, however. Probably other examples the video could have cited

sanstesy

It is a bit strange though, considering that Ganondorf as a character pre-dates the Gerudo. In ALttP, he was simply referred to as a thief, with no indication that he wasn't Hylian, since he didn't appear in human form at any point. Before that, there was no indication that Ganon was ever not a pig-demon.

It is certainly possible that they designed the Gerudo as a whole to match Ganondorf's backstory as a thief. It is true that the OoT Gerudo have very little role outside of being Ganondorf's followers. Breath of the Wild was the first time the Gerudo escaped that role as thieves, pirates, and brigands.

I actually am a little disappointed that the Gerudo are not the thieves they were potrayed as in the past. Thieves don't need to be inherently evil as a concept. A dark-skinned women-only thief clan was always a very cool idea.

Fire Emblem Awakening.

Father:

Son/Daughter:

Edit: All of the antagonist Plegians are dark skinned and all the Plegians that you get in your party including Tharja, Henry, and Robin are all light skinned. I know you can recruit Aversa and Gangrel in the DLC, but shit...

Ok yeah that's pretty bad.

SenkiDala

Kinda tired of those false debates... "Blabla girls are stereotypes, sexy, but boys are not" (mostly not true) "blabla in RE5 you kill black persons, it's racist" (yeah because Spanish persons in RE4 was perfectly fine)...

I feel those articles are all for the buzz.

It's true we often say "black side" "dark side" as the opposite of "bright side", it's not about race... Wait, in night, it's actually dark... Are nights racists then?

A LOT of vilains are white, in fact most of them.

Yeah i've noticed this since I was a kid and still see it often, especially in Japanese games. I was gonna bring up Fire emblem but someone already pointed that out.

sanstesy

it's funny because the green of you quoting me almost matches ganondorf's skin color in that oot screen, except ganondorf is more green

also olive green:

Dude, for all intents or purposes he is supposed to be dark-skinned as he is a Gerudo. Again, why should his skin colour be green again?

Alienfan

Fair points about Japanese media, it's a well known trope there that needs to stop, but cherry picking some old Disney films kind of detracts from his point. I'm not convinced it's a strong trope in western media, I might be wrong though. Most villians are white men

Nowise10

Yeah i've noticed this since I was a kid and still see it often, especially in Japanese games. I was gonna bring up Fire emblem but someone already pointed that out.

From the picture the user posted, the mans skin is grey. I don't understand how this is an issue.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fire Emblem Awakening.

Father:

Son/Daughter:

finally, a good example

surely this will stop the "dumb coloreds will complain about anything" posts

"most villains are white"

That's probably because most characters in games are white. Period. Doesn't change the fact that this happens far too often. I can't even list all the times as a kid i'd play a game and the only character with darker skin like mine was either a villain or generic enemy.

To quote myself:

Cia is a ridiculously sexualized character design, which is not something I expected to say of a Zelda character. This is sexist per se, but bundling evil, sexualized and black together frankly makes it pretty embarrassing. She even has a "non-evil" costume that is more modest... and makes her skin light. :p

Top Bottom