• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

Eh, given the fact that some people were mad that Watch Dogs sales were huge, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same case with Destiny.

A bad game and a game selling poorly are not the same thing. I don't think anybody wants to play a bad, boring, messy or otherwise poorly constructed game in most circumstances.

_hekk05

Banned
Anyone download these videos? They got removed before I was able to check them out sadly.

You might wanna read through the thread

I don't care what anyone else says. ADS to offer different situations between guns with different accuracies and engaging at different distances make the game mechanics deeper.

Don't want a bunch of laser guns everywhere

GHG

Gold Member
Eh, given the fact that some people were mad that Watch Dogs sales were huge, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same case with Destiny.

The biggest problem is that they actually built themselves up into thinking that their opinion and what they posted on GAF was genuinely influential.

AHA-Lambda

Looks so dull, I expected more from the creators of halo and a half billion dollar budget :/

Is this what the division going to end up being?

Ps: how did a guy at Ubisoft get a hold of this?!

Karl Hawk

Banned
Maybe if that guy would upload some Tower footage, it would clean some concerns that Destiny is just another shooty shooty bang bang game.

People were mad about that? The internet can be a strange place.

I think that being mad is a reasonable response if you were extremely hyped for a real "next gen" experience like many were, but how could it not sell? Like, did people REALLY think that it wouldn't break records and top charts?

Raab

Neo Member
Been a Halo fan forever, and despite my pre-order, I'm not too hyped. Bungie has to deliver at E3 or I'm done onions. (That damn ADS gives me the COD herpes)

SephiZack

??? Those two are different situations

It's pretty different when someone wants a game to be bad and when a game is bad itself, so someone wants that game to sell badly

No one wants a game to be bad, but if a game is bad then many people would want that game to fail

I platinum'd Watch_Dogs

Get_crazy

Banned
1402129861-destiny-alpha-dance.gif

i'm not a fan of borderlands and with this sharing similarities i dunno if this will be for me.

can't believe i'm saying this but cod will save us this fall (shooter-wise)

People shouldn't read too much into just these early Alpha video's. Based on what little official marketing there has been, the Public Events looks like an area where this game will really shine. Lots of potential for innovation and fun experiences there. This game is meant to be played in groups despite an effort to make a single player experience possible.

Just watched the last part as the others are unavailable to me. Gunplay looks very nice. AI looks dumb. And exploding bodies? I guess I would have liked a little more persistence on them.

DarkSlayer224

Neo Member
AI looked pretty bad, but I don't expect that to remain the same in the final version. We'll see a closer iteration of final AI when the beta launches.

-MD-

I know it has been said a million times but this is Borderlands and Halo 100% lol. As generic as this looks it'll probably be a decent coop game.

The player vs. enemy dynamic has looked pedestrian in pretty much everything I've seen from the game including these videos. I really thought this was going to be the evolution of Halo's encounter design, but I've yet to see anything approaching that.

Every piece of footage from Destiny has been like a build up without the climax. I need a scarab battle or large scale on-foot + vehicle mayhem with like 20 enemies ASAP.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The AI is some of the worst I have ever seen.
Yeah, first thing that hit me. Instantly killed what little hype I had for Destiny. The A.I. was terrific in Halo, I thought, and helped make the game as fun as it was for me. Destiny's enemies seem to have little to no intelligence of any kind, and combined with the run-of-the-mill shooting, this doesn't paint a favorable picture so far. Hopefully it gets better.

Spineker

Banned
This game really doesn't seem like it is playing to Bungies strengths. I have faith in them and the Beta is a good opportunity to try the game but this one has me concerned.

Yeah, first thing that hit me. Instantly killed what little hype I had for Destiny. The A.I. was terrific in Halo, I thought, and helped make the game as fun as it was for me. Destiny's enemies seem to have little to no intelligence of any kind, and combined with the run-of-the-mill shooting, this doesn't paint a favorable picture so far. Hopefully it gets better.

And that's why devs are so hesistant to show things off early. It's in an alpha state, dude. I'm sure the AI will improve

Raab

Neo Member
In reference to my previous post, I really think aim-down-sight is hurting the FPS genre IMO. If i can ADS without feeling like I'm trying to hunt in real life, fine. I don't get the immersion factor in scoping in then strafing in cement. Gimme my arena shooter Bungie.
*Gulps a Mt Dew

Booshka

You might wanna read through the thread

I don't care what anyone else says. ADS to offer different situations between guns with different accuracies and engaging at different distances make the game mechanics deeper.

Don't want a bunch of laser guns everywhere

ADS has nothing to do with this. Look at Quake's sandbox of weapons, or Counter-Strike, or Halo. Weapons have varied firing types, projectile ranges and spreads. Quake has far more "guns with different accuracies" than a CoD game that essentially has like 4, SMG class, AR class, Shotgun and Sniper class weapons.

Go check out Unreal and the weapons in that game then get back to me about engaging at different ranges with weapons of different accuracies and deep game mechanics. Or Tribes for that matter, seriously ADS adds nothing to the shooter genre, except more casual fans that don't know what they are talking about.

Well, there's no need to judge it to quickly, but what I see here is not something that makes me rush off and buy a PS4 exactly.

Bruno

All of these people in here judging this game on alpha footage... have you ever played an alpha? Give it a rest until at least beta, which you will all have access to try for free.

I suppose I'm in the minority here but it looks like it'll be a pretty fun co-op game depending how the game scales to having more players in a game.

I actually like Dinklage's voice acting too. Sure it sounds a bit monotonous but I always kind of thought that was intentional. Then again I just like his voice in general so it's hard for me to be disappointed in that respect I guess.

All of these people in here judging this game on alpha footage... have you ever played an alpha? Give it a rest until at least beta, which you will all have access to try for free.

I played Brink when it was released... That's the equivalent of playing an alpha, right?

Yeah totally.

Here we are all talking about it again.

"Yeah, let's show off the same environments, monotonous quests, and terrible AI to build hype!"
I'll still buy it anyway.

I know it has been said a million times but this is Borderlands and Halo 100% lol. As generic as this looks it'll probably be a decent coop game.

There's that word again, "generic". It's being thrown around for lots of games coming down the pike. I don't know what non-generic gameplay would even look like anymore. There just isn't much space for major design changes that wouldn't be accused of gimmickry.

Top Bottom