• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

ThankeeSai

Not visited this thread for a good 20 pages or so.

Anything to report?

Anything at all?

No matter how small or seemingly insignificant....

....Please?

Green Yoshi

For the last time: today's Nintendo won't do this. You can dig as much as you want and I bet you can find even more than that.

As long as they can compete with Sony and Microsoft.
Ten years ago many people were very surprised when SEGA released their games for Xbox and Gamecube.

As long as they can compete with Sony and Microsoft.
Ten years ago many people were very surprised when SEGA released their games for Xbox and Gamecube.

Ten years ago, Sega was deep in the hole and making horrible business decisions.
The exact opposite of Nintendo at any point in its history, particularly now.

NeoRausch

Anything to report?

Anything at all?

....Please?
Most americans dont seems to have a clue how a 24 hour clock works.

no news no. It's a speculation thread, no news allowed!

Anything to report?

Anything at all?

....Please?

come back in an hour German time... a guy named IdeaMan has some secret WiiU tidbits to share with us :)

we are waiting for this great post

Triton55

You know what I would really love? A downloadable Wii U version of the Kid Icarus Uprising multiplayer. Just the kind of multiplayer experience I've been hankering for on a console. Speediness and slapstick of Smash Bros with the scale of a 3rd person shooter rendered on a full TV screen with dual analog/IR control. I'd play the hell out of that, local and online.

You know what I would really love? A downloadable Wii U version of the Kid Icarus Uprising multiplayer. Just the kind of multiplayer experience I've been hankering for on a console. Speediness and slapstick of Smash Bros with the scale of a 3rd person shooter rendered on a full TV screen with dual analog/IR control. I'd play the hell out of that, local and online.

I really hope Nintendo has some kind of online action game *coughMETROIDSPACEFEDERATIONcough* ready for the Wii U launch.

ThankeeSai

Most americans dont seems to have a clue how a 24 hour clock works.

no news no. It's a speculation thread, no news allowed!

That's ok. They can't write the date properly either :p

come back in an hour German time... a guy named IdeaMan has some secret WiiU tidbits to share with us :)

we are waiting for this great post

Nice.

I read a few of his other posts from the previous thread.

Fingers crossed it's something half decent.

you mean that game that has a shocking thing happen after the credits?

WiiU needs AR first I refuse not to use my KIU card collection

wait... U? OMG Kid Icarus is coming to WiiU!!! Padizzle!

Triton55

Isn't IM French anyway? Why are we going by German time?

Ohh, yeah that's right. Nibel stated that it was noon in Germany, so I just went off of that with "Germany Time is the new Japan Time" without registering that he was referring to his own time zone.
France Time it is!

NeoRausch

Ohh, yeah that's right. Nibel stated that it was noon in Germany, so I just went off of that with "Germany Time is the new Japan Time" without registering that he was referring to his own time zone.
France Time it is!
Great so we have to masure the time in brie and wine now?

*puts sauerkraut clock away*

Triton55

Great so we have to masure the time in brie and wine now?

*puts sauerkraut clock away*
Anything's better than
8Ssoh.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IdeaMan said it would be a few days, though, didn't he?

NeoRausch

Just noticed that, according to an AMD spokesperson (via German tech site golem.de), the GPU will not be derived from any existing Radeon chip, but is actually a highly customized part specifically designed for Nintendo. Doesn't seem to be an R700 after all.
Ha finally something interresting to read. Thanks for the link.

edit:

nothing very interresting. 45 nm die, embedded dram, yeah thats like last year news, heh... Well news are news.

wsippel

Banned
The Xenos in the 360 is a highly customised chip specifically for that console, it is still based off R520 series.
Sure, but the resulting chip is extremely different from an R520 - or any off-the-shelf AMD GPU, for that matter. AMD certainly used some existing part as a starting point, and that existing part probably was R700 if only for timing reasons (it was the most modern chip they had when they started working on Wii U), but after at least two years of extensive modifications, there's probably very little left of the original chip.

AlStrong

The Xenos... is still based off R520 series.

wrong. ATI had an R400 project that started much earlier (renamed a couple times due to the length of time) in the works for introducing unified shaders. This project eventually became Xenos/C1. Maybe the only similarity would be the design of the ALUs (vec4+1, which was similar to the vertex shaders at the time, but that was the point of unified - making sure you could do both PS and VS), but it's pretty stretching to say it's based off of R520. The ROP and shader architecture design are completely different.

Kind of what I've been saying the entire time.
>_>

Was anyone considering something different? When people say rv700 they mean that series of tech they aren't talking about a 4850 or 4830 or whatever. Even Wispels thing (i think it was him) that mentioned 5570 was just a guide as to a card with similar amount of processors.

AlStrong

how long does it take to dev a custom chip does the dates match up 2009-2011?

2-3 years is about right for R&D. They can get the first samples a few months after tape-out. They'll want to spend some time working out specific clocks and TDP dependent upon the yield (not all chips are created equally and will have different performance/thermal characteristics). So a 2 year development for a customization plus a few months would coincide nicely with updates to the devkits we've been hearing about. I don't expect them to be on as rushed a schedule as Xenos was for MS. Different situation.

Whether that's relevant to what wsippel found is another story..

Top Bottom