• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Game Story Ever

How the fuck do people seriously believe Xenogears had a good story

It's everything that's wrong with anime and JRPGs packed into 2 CDs.

Hylian7

Duderz said:
It's no contest for me - Metroid: Other M.
I'm still incredibly pissed off about this, the gameplay was pretty good (although could have been better if it was opened up more and didn't have the "Mother may I?" crap).

I've seen people try to say that we were just projecting our own ideas on Samus in the past, but that simply isn't true and it's incredibly obvious. I still don't buy that Samus fought Ridley twice, possibly three times before this game and yet still for some reason she needed someone to save her. What utter bullshit.

Also, PLEASE don't force the game to be translated a certain way if you don't speak English (I'm looking at you Sakamoto). "The baby" repeated 1000 times does not sound good in English, you may think it does, but it doesn't!

Finaika

perfectnight said:

For fans of anime its awesome.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
man/man said:
Thank you, I'm not alone in thinking Mass Effect's story is downright laughable and B-movie. I lol at people who think Bioware are masters of storytelling.
Its funny because a lot of people gave Star Control 3s story shit but a basic plot retread for the backstory in Mass Effect is considered great.

gillty

Banned
x52ums.jpg

man/man

Banned
perfectnight said:

Something about the Japanese...it's like everything they write has to be tacky, excessive and cornball to a fault. I guess the stories are just supposed to be bad and that's why geeks love them.

Sophia

perfectnight said:

Because it's not actually shit or what's "wrong" with anime/JRPGs? Are you seriously going to say you'd take the DINNER DANCE over Xenogears?

Eusis

Xenogears is absolutely mindblowing for a teenager who hasn't had much exposure to, say, great science fiction writing, and held by that standard it's awful. Held by the standard of VIDEO GAMES it may well be too all over the place to still be considered a great story, but I'd still take that over crap like the dinner dance any day.

Seda

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Nope. 2003 GOTY

608442-dark_cloud2_front_large.jpg

Eh, I liked Dark Cloud 1 better, mainly because the story was a lot simpler. I know I am in the minority. 2 wasn't bad at all, but all the talk of it being possibly the best improved sequel (to one of my favorite games before I got a chance to play it) probably over-hyped me.

Nope. 2003 GOTY

608442-dark_cloud2_front_large.jpg
I never finished this, but I believe i dropped once i found out that the big bad evil antagonist that they foreshadowing and hyping for many chapters turned out to be
an emo bunny rabbit
Goddamn it Japan

Sinoox

Banned
Phonomezer said:
star_ocean_the_last_hope_frontcover_large_c367PnpuQJ7bax8.jpg

FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Edit: Didn't read OP properly. WHY Star Ocean IV? Anyone that has played it will know what a pile of shit the writing is, made even worse by hammy voice acting and TERRIBLE characters that really don't translate well outside of Japan.

Features some of the most dreadful plot twists ever that has the main character seemingly teetering on the EDGE of suicide for at least 10 hours afterwards, and doesn't forget to remind you with CUTSCENE after CUTSCENE of diabolical whining. Also loli-heavy.

FFXIII gets a special mention - I've never played a game where you needed to read an entire codex to know what the hell is going on.

I'd agree with Star Ocean IV, and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed Star Ocean IIIs story (mostly for the insane twist at the end). IV seriously lacked surprise and the writing seemed quite a step down from the previous games. The locations and art were on a whole different level, but the story just left me really unsatisfied, it felt rushed and uninspired.

viewtifulsub said:
I never finished this, but I believe i dropped once i found out that the big bad evil protagonist that they foreshadowing and hyping for many chapters turned out to be
an emo bunny rabbit
Goddamn it Japan

Oh come on, don't fight it, just accept the weirdness.

BigJiantRobut said:
PC version is really poorly optimized, I can only get 60fps with MLAA.

*sigh*

Will not buying another Interplay game ever again.

Will wait for Steam sale.

DINNER DINNER DINNER DINNER.

Equus Bellator Apex

Seda said:
Eh, I liked Dark Cloud 1 better, mainly because the story was a lot simpler. I know I am in the minority. 2 wasn't bad at all, but all the talk of it being possibly the best improved sequel (to one of my favorite games before I got a chance to play it) probably over-hyped me.
Yeah, I can understand that.

viewtifulsub said:
I never finished this, but I believe i dropped once i found out that the big bad evil antagonist that they foreshadowing and hyping for many chapters turned out to be
an emo bunny rabbit
Goddamn it Japan

That was like the best part.

Gaborn

Custer's Revenge. The reason? The goal was to make it across the screen so you could rape the native american woman. I think that speaks for itself. Pointless, stupid, and needlessly inflammatory.

Metal Gear Solid series.

Almost totally incomprehensible from the second game to the last. Constant retconning of the series also made previous events meaningless or unnecessarily connected. Was the soap opera of game stories leading to the shit sandwitch that is the narrative of MGS4.

MGS was so perfect, just simple enough, but slowly more crazy plot was revealed. It could only be comical after that.

biocat

man/man said:
Something about the Japanese...it's like everything they write has to be tacky, excessive and cornball to a fault. I guess the stories are just supposed to be bad and that's why geeks love them.
I love it, but I'm a bit of a masochist. For me, being confused and wandering through a thick and impenetrable plot is part of the fun.

The worst plots, in my opinion, are the ones that don't try anything new or creative.

I really love Siren: Blood Curse (GOTY 2008), and I love its story too, but I can acknowledge that it goes too deep into the mindfuck at times, as evidenced by this diagram:

2eq6ecmxuza.png

Anything that needs a diagram to understand (or in Shadow of the Colossus' case, a thesis on Gamefaqs) should really be toned back a bit.

Also check out the ending. It makes sense if you really really think about it.

I'm sorry...
51CSHM2wtEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hate your guts. I'm sorry...

EDIT: I only played KH I and II. I really liked its convoluted shit. There were some interesting plot twists. Xenosaga is excellent, and Xenogears is amazing in terms of story/characters. Metal Gear Solid is at times ridiculous and at times nonsensical, but it is no way the worse or even bad because MGS1's story was magnificent, MGS3's was pretty good, and MGS4 tried really hard to make sense of everything, and I thought it did okay on that.

The real,
honest,
factual answer,
has been stated by the guy who would definitely know this, Vic:

vireland said:
Without question. The most BS, nonsense story in a 21st century RPG. Ugh. I kept hoping it would get better, and then the END came, and it was the WORST, most nonsensical, BS part of all.

eternalsonatatxbox360boxart_160w.jpg

To say that MGS, Xeno, or even KH are tied with this piece of shit is fucking ridiculous. Those three titles at least are ambitious and try pretty hard to tell a story. Sometimes too hard, and everything is ridiculous, nonsensical, or blahblah. But it;s entertaining, and they occassionally have interesting, plot-twisting points that are at least entertaining. Eternal Sonata, however, is a trainwreck. It makes NO sense. The dialogue is unrivaled in "worst dialogue ever categories." The writing, ugh. And the ending is honestly the most ridiculous thing ever. And this IS different than Xeno stuff, or MGS stuff, where if you paid attention, or did a little research, things would make sense. Sure, maybe there are some plot holes, but Eternal Sonata is one big whole, where you literary scholars can't even break its ambiguous nature because there is no substance. It's just all bullshit. Fuck.

NinjaCodah said:
Cheers to all the smarter individuals who actually understood the series. To the rest of you all, replay the entire thing and try to pay attention this time around.

I'm with you. I think it is ridiculous at times or melodramatic, but ultimately it's exciting and has some great dialogue at points. MGS1, mainly, but MGS3 and 4 had its moments. I definitely understood it. I think stupid people must have to say that it's stupid so they make themselves feel better? :)

man/man said:

Go play Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's what every JRPG should aspire to be.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
man/man said:
It was a homage.

water_wendi said:
Theres been threads here on GAF where the topic is the depth of Halos story.

To be fair, Halo has a fairly fleshed out, in depth universe - but expressed entirely through the books. It doesn't count for anything if 90% of your story is told outside of the medium.

Jex

Silent Bomber perhaps, or Apocalypse? Those are kind of generic stories told poorly but I don't know if they are the worst ever.

Custer's Revenge is a pretty fine example I suppose.

All game stories are awful.

Except Metal Gear Solid.

Yes, i said it, screw you ok. People complain about mgs4, but the the fact of the matter is that mgs3 is really what tied everything together; mgs4 was only the conclusion. People bitch about 4 and all, but it's because they fail to put it in perspective. Granted, it's hard to follow a story over such a long period of time. But if you really followed the whole thing and payed attention to all the details, it holds up. And if you wished Snake would kill himself at the end of msg4 and weren't satisfied that he didn't, you missed the fucking point of it all. And finally, to the idiots who yell "retcon" all the time: the only retcon in the series was the liquid voice used in mgs2, so please shut the fck up about it.

Solid Snake is awesome. Naked Snake is awesome. The Boss is awesome. And fucking Revolver Ocelot is beyond fucking awesome. It's true that some of the cut-scenes in the games could benefit from some editing, but you simply can't beat these characters.

Cheers to all the smarter individuals who actually understood the series. To the rest of you all, replay the entire thing and try to pay attention this time around.

NinjaCodah said:

I tried my best, but I think I gave up about an hour into the PowerPoint Big Mama was showing me in the church.

For God's sake man, I'm all for high concept storytelling but MGS is nowhere close to that.

man/man

Banned
NinjaCodah said:

Well, I hope you're right cause I'm counting the days until the HD collection.

Slavik81

jett said:
MetalGearSolid4.jpg

So bad it retroactively ruins the entire franchise.
This would be the definitive choice for me. They stitched together a well-built set of interweaving stories and mysteries. But then they ruined it by creating a final story with a set of dumb and unappealing explanations.

There are games with worse stories than MGS4. But the real trick is that they managed to make you care about the series' story before they ruined it. That's why it deserves to be there.

Equus Bellator Apex

NinjaCodah said:
All game stories are awful.

Except Metal Gear Solid.

Yes, i said it, screw you ok. People complain about mgs4, but the the fact of the matter is that mgs3 is really what tied everything together; mgs4 was only the conclusion. People bitch about 4 and all, but it's because they fail to put it in perspective. Granted, it's hard to follow a story over such a long period of time. But if you really followed the whole thing and payed attention to all the details, it holds up. And if you wished Snake would kill himself at the end of msg4 and weren't satisfied that he didn't, you missed the fucking point of it all. And finally, to the idiots who yell "retcon" all the time: the only retcon in the series was the liquid voice used in mgs2, so please shut the fck up about it.

Solid Snake is awesome. Naked Snake is awesome. The Boss is awesome. And fucking Revolver Ocelot is beyond fucking awesome. It's true that some of the cut-scenes in the
games could benefit from some editing, but you simply can't beat these characters.

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

GenericUser

the only good story that i experienced in a videogame was the one of silent hill2. Every other story in every video game that i played during my life, seemed or seems (at least from a retrospective view) boring to me.

Dont get me wrong, i love videogames, but i am definitly not playing them to enjoy great storytelling.

edit:

because mgs4 gets so many posts, i have to state that (as a long time fan of the series) i am outright offended by the story of mgs4.

man/man

Banned
I played through MGS4 and still haven't touched 2 and 3, and even though I was pretty much lost the overall narrative didn't seem that bad. For what it's worth.

Top Bottom