• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Sir_JD

Neo Member
After more than a few false starts over the last 12 months (life, eh?) it's finally time to replace this aging X58 system and finally build my new 'dream' PC for the first time in who knows how many years. Interested in any thoughts or opinions for the 'GAF crew!

Q&A Time!
Your Current Specs: i7 920 / Gigabyte EX-58 UD3R / 6GB DDR3 / CM690 / 1TB Western Digital Blue.
Budget: $6K NZD incl Monitor which is...around $4K US? Although pricing is weird* (*insane) over here.
Main Use: Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U) - 5, Video Editing - 2, Streaming games in HD - 1, 3D/Model work (and what program) - 1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 5.
Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440 100Hz w Gsync
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: ArmA 3. DayZ. Warhammer: Total War. The Witcher 3. Overwatch. HTC Vive VR. Aiming for 60FPS.
Looking to reuse any parts?: None. Ordering within a week (sans GPU).
Will you be overclocking?: Yes! Aiming for small bump on the GPU and 4.8Ghz on the 7700K

The Build!
I have been driving myself round in circles with this build. What was originally going to be a 5820K build a few years back then morphed into a 6800K build last year, before I contemplated going with the Ryzen 1800X instead. Before now, finally, looking at how much multitasking / how many multithreaded applications I actually use - and deciding that 'Just in case I want to edit videos one day!' wasn't a great reason to spend extra cash - I've landed on the 7700K.

Parts List
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG R1 Universal 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($188.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($133.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($479.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($197.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: HP Omen X35 or Acer Predator X34A Monitor
Total: $2211.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-20 03:23 EDT-0400

Notes / Questions
1. Planning on holding out for the aftermarket versions of the 1080 Ti. Worth it?
2. Picked the Z270E as it's one of the Z270 boards with Wi-Fi. Is it worth upping this to the Maximus IX range?
3. Aiming for a black / white colour scheme, so if there are any comparable parts I could swap out, let me know!
4. Picked the Cryorig R1 over the NHD15S because...well...it looks better / fits my theme? Silly choice, or close enough performance wise?
5. Anything else I should be looking at with this build? Any worthwhile upgrades? I have a bit of wiggle room to bump up the specs if needed, which I'm happy to do!

Real quick, trying to part out a new CPU/Mobo/Memory combo for a friend for less than $250. Would an FX 8350 & MSI 970 Gaming mobo for around $180 at Microcenter be a good deal if I overclock it for him, or should I recommend a i3 instead (would go with a Pentium G4560 if I could find one anywhere).

Bloodember

Real quick, trying to part out a new CPU/Mobo/Memory combo for a friend for less than $250. Would an FX 8350 & MSI 970 Gaming mobo for around $180 at Microcenter be a good deal if I overclock it for him, or should I recommend a i3 instead (would go with a Pentium G4560 if I could find one anywhere).
Go with an i3 or Pentium.

Notes / Questions
1. Planning on holding out for the aftermarket versions of the 1080 Ti. Worth it?
3. Aiming for a black / white colour scheme, so if there are any comparable parts I could swap out, let me know!
4. Picked the Cryorig R1 over the NHD15S because...well...it looks better / fits my theme? Silly choice, or close enough performance wise?

1. Yes. Cooling will be better, temps will be lower, card will throttle less and you may be able to OC a bit.
3/4. Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 seems to be almost as good as the Noctua and fits your color scheme.

Bit of a predicament. Should I go for i5-7600K + Z270, or i7-7700 + B250? I can get either for about the same price. I already have an RX480.

Purposes:
- General gaming (Witcher 3, BF1, Overwatch, Cities Skylines, Killing Floor 2, etc..)
- Emulation (PS2/Wii/maybe Wii U eventually)
- 144Hz. I don't mind dropping settings though.

I looked at this vid from DF and it seems like i7-7700 would be a better decision, but I'd like feedback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XylVCItVhS4

Bloodember

Bit of a predicament. Should I go for i5-7600K + Z270, or i7-7700 + B250? I can get either for about the same price. I already have an RX480.

Purposes:
- General gaming (Witcher 3, BF1, Overwatch, Cities Skylines, Killing Floor 2, etc..)

I looked at this vid from DF and it seems like i7-7700 would be a better decision, but I'd like feedback.

If you don't plan on overclocking I'd go with the I7.

nOoblet16

So I ended up removing the HDD cage, it was quite tough to get some of the rivets, got a few cuts on my hand. But it's all good now and this stupid fat card is in place, the only thing I need now is a 5.25 inch mount for my HDD so that I can put it in the optical bay.

bomblord1

Banned
Making goal is VR and by spend accordingly I mean I will spend any amount.

Sorry it took so long to respond. Since your goal is future proofing and VR AMD may be a decent choice (considering it seems that will be better supported in the future) but Intel is always a solid choice

I assume when you say "any" amount considering your old rig was a 2500k you don't literally mean "any" amount as we could go with a $40k setup with 4 multi thousand dollar Xeon's on a single board.

So to dial it back a bit and get something more realistic (and so I can have a price range to target) I'll set a more reasonable budget of $800 for a high end upgrade.

Intel

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Jet)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($189.97 @ Jet)
Total: $750.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-20 08:31 EDT-0400
Notes:
7700K + Watercooler for OC'ing: Meaning even if you start to lag behind in the future you can just OC it. I assume your current case can fit a dual fan radiator? If not you can always go smaller.
A higher end Z270 MOBO. Of course supports SLI and and OC'ing
32GB of DDR4 RAM. Also a future proofing mechanism as 16GB is the current standard.

AMD

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($394.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 3 28.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($162.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($189.97 @ Jet)
Total: $777.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-20 09:57 EDT-0400
Notes:
Ryzen 1700X: 8 Cores 16 Threads currently the i7 outperforms it in gaming loads (but obviously both are more than enough to game on) in the future given the additional cores this may change but currently that's how it stands
CPU Cooler: For some reason PC Part Picker wouldn't let me add liquid coolers that I know fit based on the socket type but I trust their compatibility filter so I'll just go with it. It's still a great air cooler.
Mobo supports OC'ing and is a higher end one
32GB DDR4 RAM same reasons as above.

AMD
Notes:
Ryzen 1700X: 8 Cores 16 Threads currently the i7 outperforms it in gaming loads (but obviously both are more than enough to game on) in the future given the additional cores this may change but currently that's how it stands
CPU Cooler: For some reason PC Part Picker wouldn't let me add liquid coolers that I know fit based on the socket type but I trust their compatibility filter so I'll just go with it. It's still a great air cooler.
Mobo supports OC'ing and is a higher end one
32GB DDR4 RAM same reasons as above.
That cooler is literally a 212 Evo with a black plate on the top. For that money, he could order a Cryorig H7 and send in screencaps of his invoices for the CPU/Mobo and H7 and have Cryorig ship him an AM4 bracket for free, while gaining a cooler that's easier to mount and performs better than the 212 Evo/MasterAir Pro 4.

Young Magus

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if I should upgrade my cpu.

I currently have an i5 6400 which clocks at 2,7 ghz and my desktop is a dell inspiron 3650. I want to know if I can upgrade using this desktop and if so then to what?

EDIT: If it helps the graphics card I have in an 1050ti the power supply is 250~300w and I intend it to be used for gaming and watch/playing content on dual monitors

Xater

Is it ok to ask a notebook question in here? I need a new one which would be used at home, but also needs to be portable. Currently I would probably like to get the HP Spectre X360. I am just not sure about the configuration.

Mostly the notebook would be used for Office, Photoshop, web, mail, some audio editing and maybe some light video editing from time to time.

I am not sure if the i5-7200U with 8GB of RAM will be enough for a while or if I should go for the i7-7500U with 16GB RAM. Price difference is around 200€.

Bloodember

Is it ok to ask a notebook question in here? I need a new one which would be used at home, but also needs to be portable. Currently I would probably like to get the HP Spectre X360. I am just not sure about the configuration.

Mostly the notebook would be used for Office, Photoshop, web, mail, some audio editing and maybe some light video editing from time to time.

I am not sure if the i5-7200U with 8GB of RAM will be enough for a while or if I should go for the i7-7500U with 16GB RAM. Price difference is around 200€.
Since you want to do photo editing id go with the 16gb configuration.

bomblord1

Banned
That cooler is literally a 212 Evo with a black plate on the top. For that money, he could order a Cryorig H7 and send in screencaps of his invoices for the CPU/Mobo and H7 and have Cryorig ship him an AM4 bracket for free, while gaining a cooler that's easier to mount and performs better than the 212 Evo/MasterAir Pro 4.

Seems a lot of work for minimal gain I did find a cheaper one that seemed to be the same so I swapped that out just now.

Are you even sure that Cryorig will send a mount? Because if not he's out of $35 for a cooler. What's so special about this CPU cooler to warrant the extra money and work from what I've found it seems to be a fairly bog standard air cooler.

Vipu

Banned
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if I should upgrade my cpu.

I currently have an i5 6400 which clocks at 2,7 ghz and my desktop is a dell inspiron 3650. I want to know if I can upgrade using this desktop and if so then to what?

EDIT: If it helps the graphics card I have in an 1050ti the power supply is 250~300w and I intend it to be used for gaming and watch/playing content on dual monitors

Yes

bomblord1

Banned
Yes as in it can be upgraded correct?

So what should I get? An i7 or stick within the i5 family?

You are able to upgrade but I'de have to ask why because the difference won't be earth shattering.

If you do want to upgrade still there's a few things to consider. We don't know anything about the board (it's more than likely a custom setup by Dell) so I wouldn't risk attempting to put a Kaby Lake in there as that needs the BIOS updated on some MOBO's to work and I doubt Dell has an update out.

Then we have to consider your incredibly low power threshold (250W PSU with a GPU?) so I wouldn't go above the 65W your current CPU is rated at.

With that in mind the i7-6700 (non-K) would be the best option within your constraints.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...19117560&cm_re=i7-6700-_-19-117-560-_-Product

Purposes:

Why use a B250? You're a gamer. Don't you also want OC ability? Go with Z270 + 7700k if you can.

Anyone have an issue with the GTX 1080 where the fans go into overdrive and never stop? Any solutions?

Do you have a custom fan curve? Are you OC'ing and/or using something like KBOOST?

Hey, anyone hear of the 1-800-667-6915 virus?

My mom got a call from them telling her, her windows will expire soon and that she needs to call to fix it. Some quick googling shows me it's a virus? We were planning on getting her a new laptop anyway. All I want to save off of the laptop are pictures. Should I be fine in saving those to a flash drive? Risky?

My graphics card just died (I think). There's no picture from it (I'm using onboard which is fine), the fans spin but there's no lights lit on the card itself, and Device Manager doesn't show it at all.

It was a R9 270X, had it for a few years, but I've been out of the graphics card loop so I have no idea what an equivalent card (I paid somewhere around £100-£120) is these days. The OP says a Radeon RX 460 but the reviews seem to say it's not any better... was kinda hoping that I could get more bang for my buck considering a few years have passed.

kiyomi

My mom got a call from them telling her, her windows will expire soon and that she needs to call to fix it. Some quick googling shows me it's a virus? We were planning on getting her a new laptop anyway. All I want to save off of the laptop are pictures. Should I be fine in saving those to a flash drive? Risky?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Your mom got a call out of the blue about her laptop needing to be fixed? 'Cuz that's a scam.

So I'm sure this is sacrilege in this thread but Amazon has the Alienware Steam Machine R2 for under $300

Now I will be transferring to Hong Kong for work in the close future. In preperation I sold my Xbox One and my gaming PC as I won't have the space for much more then my PS4 pro, but I figure that the steam machine is small enough I could attack it to the back of my tv (I have a 32" Sony 1080p that I'll be using)

Is this a bad idea? I would really like to be able to play stuff like TF2, Counter Strike, and League of Legends

My Macbook Air is from 2012 so i can handle LOL on it but anything else brings the fans up to 100% the entire time.

I would definitely be installing Windows 10 on it.

Weevilone

I mean did she call them and somehow give them access to her PC?

I mean did she call them and somehow give them access to her PC?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Your mom got a call out of the blue about her laptop needing to be fixed? 'Cuz that's a scam.

No she's not that dumb. She said she's gotten calls for a while and she always screws with them a little bit but this time she wasn't home and they left her a message with the 1-800 # to call. I asked her the number and she said it was the one I posted above. Google told me it's a virus. I haven't dealt with it before. I'm guessing her computer is infected, they know it's her computer and that's why they specifically called her. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it.

kuYuri

So I'm sure this is sacrilege in this thread but Amazon has the Alienware Steam Machine R2 for under $300

Now I will be transferring to Hong Kong for work in the close future. In preperation I sold my Xbox One and my gaming PC as I won't have the space for much more then my PS4 pro, but I figure that the steam machine is small enough I could attack it to the back of my tv (I have a 32" Sony 1080p that I'll be using)

Is this a bad idea? I would really like to be able to play stuff like TF2, Counter Strike, and League of Legends

My Macbook Air is from 2012 so i can handle LOL on it but anything else brings the fans up to 100% the entire time.

I would definitely be installing Windows 10 on it.

Those Alienware Alphas are more than enough for games like LoL, TF2, and CS. All of the games are designed to run on low end machines, you should be able to play them even on high settings.

What are the specs on the one you got?

Young Magus

You are able to upgrade but I'de have to ask why because the difference won't be earth shattering.

If you do want to upgrade still there's a few things to consider. We don't know anything about the board (it's more than likely a custom setup by Dell) so I wouldn't risk attempting to put a Kaby Lake in there as that needs the BIOS updated on some MOBO's to work and I doubt Dell has an update out.

Then we have to consider your incredibly low power threshold (250W PSU with a GPU?) so I wouldn't go above the 65W your current CPU is rated at.

With that in mind the i7-6700 (non-K) would be the best option within your constraints.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...19117560&cm_re=i7-6700-_-19-117-560-_-Product

Thanks for the advice!

I'm upgrading because I want to improve preformance in emulation and being able to multitask across two monitors along speed and performance improvements. The cpu is also the bottleneck to my graphics card so I was looking for a change/upgrade

Seems a lot of work for minimal gain I did find a cheaper one that seemed to be the same so I swapped that out just now.

Are you even sure that Cryorig will send a mount? Because if not he's out of $35 for a cooler. What's so special about this CPU cooler to warrant the extra money and work from what I've found it seems to be a fairly bog standard air cooler.
Cryorig put out a public statement about how they're handling AM4 brackets:
http://www.cryorig.com/news.php?id=69&page=1
CRYORIG’s four AM4 upgrade kits will be released beginning in late March and will be completely free of charge (including shipping) for existing users to apply for. Users will only need to provide a proof of purchase of the CRYORIG product (or product registration number), and a proof of purchase of an AMD Ryzen or AM4 CPU or Motherboard. Just fill out and supply all necessary info at www.cryorig.com/getam4.php, the kit will be sent directly to the provided address. Distributors and select channels will also have these kits available. The following chart indicates the CRYORIG product and it’s corresponding AM4 upgrade kit.

As for the Hyper 212 Evo's mounting system, I've personally installed one and found it troublesome enough that I never want to do it again, and the multitude of Youtube tutorials backs up the fact that it's a massive pain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLlrqzwxJig

Hello nerds, I recently bought a DS4 for use with my PC and I'm getting kinda inconsistent connection (latency and occasional drops). I'm curious if there's a bluetooth solution for desktop computers that folks agree is good? My motherboard doesn't have it built in, and i'm currently using a usb thing from amazon but I'm not convinced just yet.

Those Alienware Alphas are more than enough for games like LoL, TF2, and CS. All of the games are designed to run on low end machines, you should be able to play them even on high settings.

What are the specs on the one you got?
The one thats is $290 total is a i3 4170T, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd. I have a 256gb ssd I can throw in, and I actually have an extra stick of laptop memory I can throw in to make 8gb.

Hello nerds, I recently bought a DS4 for use with my PC and I'm getting kinda inconsistent connection (latency and occasional drops). I'm curious if there's a bluetooth solution for desktop computers that folks agree is good? My motherboard doesn't have it built in, and i'm currently using a usb thing from amazon but I'm not convinced just yet.
There's an official adapter for the dualshock 4 for PC, you could always try that.

IC5

I3 or Pentium. Motherboards for these are more current on features. And they will match or beat the FX in games. And you can drop in a quad core at a later time.

If you can't find one of the new pentiums, try getting a system pull i3 6100, on eBay.
I got one last June, for $85.

Weevilone

No she's not that dumb. I haven't dealt with it before. I'm guessing her computer is infected, they know it's her computer and that's why they specifically called her. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it.

They aren't specifically calling her. They are calling many people. I work from home and get that call 5 times per week probably, not specifically the same verbiage but something similar.

Google will tell you that number gave you cancer already if you read enough. That number probably feeds to an overseas call center where there's someone waiting to exploit the caller. Whether the caller is lead there by malware, a redirect website/ad, a phone call, it doesn't matter. She was obviously led there by a phone call, so it's very unclear why you think she has a virus. Did the virus dial her phone and tell her to call the scammer?

They aren't specifically calling her. They are calling many people. I work from home and get that call 5 times per week probably, not specifically the same verbiage but something similar.

Google will tell you that number gave you cancer already if you read enough. That number probably feeds to an overseas call center where there's someone waiting to exploit the caller. Whether the caller is lead there by malware, a redirect website/ad, a phone call, it doesn't matter. She was obviously led there by a phone call, so it's very unclear why you think she has a virus. Did the virus dial her phone and tell her to call the scammer?

Because when you google that exact 1-800 number the first 10 hits are talking about a virus?

Weevilone

Because when you google that exact 1-800 number the first 10 hits are talking about a virus?

Like I said, they probably use multiple methods to funnel people to the scam artists. I read the articles and they are talking about the malware instructing people to call that number. You are saying that she didn't experience this, but then asking if she has a virus. Maybe she has 10 viruses but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of one.

The malware probably isn't a virus either, but more likely to be an an ad that's in rotation and popping the shit up via browser. I've seen that here and at other forums like AVS.

I have a quick question.

I have two monitors hooked up. My HP w2207 VGA plugged into my motherboard's VGA port. I have a Samsung 1080P 22" TV connected to my XTC 1060 via HDMI.

I originally had the BIOS set up to boot up with the motherboard video output, instead of the PCI card. This allowed me to have both monitors recognized and I set the Samsung as the Primary and the w2207 as the secondary.

I thought it would make more sense to have the BIOS boot up with the PCI card as the boot up monitor, but when I changed it in the BIOS, the computer now will no longer recognize the w2207.

Do I have to have the BIOS set to the motherboard video output at startup and just have the Samsung set as the Primary Display to have both monitors detected? And if so, will that have an effect on any GPU performance from the XTC?

Thank you.

How well does a oc 3770k hack 2016 and beyond games? Looking at titles like battlefield one.

I'm thinking of buying a used one to hold me over until Intel's next hex core.

mulac

Hi,

Looking to change my case. Been using a Phanteks Enthoo Primo the last couple of years but fancy a change and the damn thing is a beast to move around.

I want something better sized and with good aircooling and expandability but in short term to fit:

MSI 1080 Gaming Z
2x DDR4 16GB RAM
3 ssd hard disks
Asus Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard
Noctua DH15 CPU cooler (2 120mm fans)
6x Noctua Industrial 140mm case fans
Corsair 800w PSU Gold

The Corsair Carbide 740 Air fits the bill but not sure on the E-ATX sizing and would everything be crammed in? The CPU fan looks like it will fit. And not fussed on glass side as the case sits under my desk on the floor.

Open to suggestions...thanks!

Considering my R9 270X graphics card is now a glorified paper weight, I thought I may as well go in for an upgrade instead buying a like-for-like replacement. Been looking around and the RX 480 caught my eye.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126135

14-126-135-01.jpg

It seems to be one of the cheaper 480's around, just wondered if anyone has one and if they'd recommend it?

kiyomi

No she's not that dumb. She said she's gotten calls for a while and she always screws with them a little bit but this time she wasn't home and they left her a message with the 1-800 # to call. I asked her the number and she said it was the one I posted above. Google told me it's a virus. I haven't dealt with it before. I'm guessing her computer is infected, they know it's her computer and that's why they specifically called her. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it.

The way you are explaining it screams 10000% scam.

You haven't said at any point that there's any kind of pop-up or potentially malicious software on her laptop, all you've told us is that she received a phone call telling her to call a number which, when Googled, throws up some of the sketchiest "fix" websites you can find.

These people phone thousands of numbers hoping someone does exactly what you've done, to search for the number, see the word "virus" banded about, and panic. I got calls from random people in India or wherever telling me my Windows PC had to be fixed somehow when I didn't even have a Windows computer.

Get her to do a thorough Malwarebytes scan if you're concerned and remind your mom of the dangers of scam artists.

ISee

How well does a oc 3770k hack 2016 and beyond games? Looking at titles like battlefield one.

I'm thinking of buying a used one to hold me over until Intel's next hex core.

I7 overclock a bit worse then their i5 counterparts. 4.2/4.3 should be possible though, maybe even 4.5 if your cooling is good enough and your chip doesn't need to much voltage to hold the clockspeed.
You could also look into getting faster ddr3 ram, it helps in cpu bottleneck situations in games.

Performance wise they aged very well (better then old i5s), but will also reach their limit in newer games.

But idk if going for an old i7 is a good solution. They are still expansive (even used), you never know how reckless the previous owner was, old platform without modern features like usb 3.1 or m.2 and if your MB dies it is getting hard to find good z77,z97 boards for overclocking.

Considering my R9 270X graphics card is now a glorified paper weight, I thought I may as well go in for an upgrade instead buying a like-for-like replacement. Been looking around and the RX 480 caught my eye.

14-126-135-01.jpg

It seems to be one of the cheaper 480's around, just wondered if anyone has one and if they'd recommend it?

Aren't new 500 cards coming out soon? It may be worthwhile to wait a bit more.

Aren't new 500 cards coming out soon? It may be worthwhile to wait a bit more.

If it was just me who used the PC, I probably would've, but the missus uses it to play WoW and I felt a bit harsh about making her wait too long.

I'm not really into cutting edge gaming on PC/4K and all that, just give me 1080p's and I'm good. So this should see me good for a couple of years (touch wood).

iavi

14-126-135-01.jpg

Look for the MSI Armor RX480 8gb. It's no frills as far as looks, but has MSI's great twinfrozr cooling system and can be found for the same price and has the full 8gb.

Just got my bonus and I am ready to buy everything for this mini itx build today. Would you guys mind giving this a once over to see if I am missing anything/could use better/cheaper parts please?

Your Current Specs:New Build

Budget: $1600 but if I can get it for less it will help. Canada

Main Use: Gaming

Monitor Resolution: 1080P TV Big comfy couch

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: GTA, Battlefield/Front, Ect.

Looking to reuse any parts?:N/A

When will you build?: Want to buy today.

Will you be overclocking?: You bet'cha ass

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rGNwKZ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rGNwKZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.98 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.85 @ Newegg Canada)

Motherboard: MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.98 @ DirectCanada)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($525.34 @ Amazon Canada)

Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($65.75 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $1655.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 10:58 EDT-0400

0racle

Hey guys, I just connectes my computer to my projector as a second screen. I will only be using it to play games from the couch. Is there a way to easily select where the game opens on the fly? I find it complicated assigning monitors, changing sound profiles etc.

Ideally I would love to still have my PC screen usable for browsing at the same time, but when I make the PC screen secondary so the game opens on my primary projector the desktop is not displayed correctly and progras don't open as they should

Smokey

Watercooling help!!

I am seriously considering jumping into my first custom WC loop. I've had plenty of AIO units for my CPU, but I'm wanting to do a custom loop to include my CPU and GPUs. I'm using a Corsair Air 540 and want to put a 240 up top and a 320 in the front. I already know that the Titan XP back plate can be used on the 2x 1080Tis. I used the EK Cooling Configurator (https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/shared/oW58ccbfe569ffd) and it gave me back parts that totaled around $940.

Now I don't mind spending the money as I surely do not want to skimp out on water cooling components, but I don't want to spend money just because either. Does that system configuration look correct to you guys? The one concern I had was wanting a 5.25'' pump/res combo that I can put in place of my fan controller, but it doesn't look like EK makes those (Edit: I was wrong, 5.25'' combos are available).

Also I've read about quick disconnects and drainage lines? Being able to quickly disconnect the GPUs would be great.

Hey guys, I want to get a new monitor and am looking for some recommendations.

What I'd like to have is:
1080p, IPS, around 24" and freesync for up to 300€.

I'm also looking into 27" ones but I wonder if 1080p is still enough for that size.

Top Bottom