• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Compsiox

Banned
May feels like forever from now.

I was very unsure if I wanted to wait that long but now that Asus cards are crawling to release they will probably be delivered around the same time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Dammit! Missed it again

I was lucky this time and just happen to think "hmm I wonder if they'll post some more like most companies do the next day". Then BAM pre-order button popped up! Ended up preordering before the notification email came In that orders were being take again!

Makes me wonder why companies like Asus or MSI aren't doing far out pre-orders like this. They have to know the pool of $750+ gpu buyers is small and most are jumping on the first available, once they buy one they won't be buying another, so why not offer pre-orders a month out and steal some of the consumers for your self instead of letting EVGA have them? Direct selling to customer like evga does has to have higher margins than the retail channel right?

Got my EVGA FE via step-up today. Never had a FE but it's actually a pretty good-looking card.

Also got EK TXP block and backplate. Putting it together will need to wait as I'm waiting for other parts for a completely new build but it looks pretty good in my current case.

image10mrbf0.png

Got my EVGA FE via step-up today. Never had a FE but it's actually a pretty good-looking card.

Also got EK TXP block and backplate. Putting it together will need to wait as I'm waiting for other parts for a completely new build but it looks pretty good in my current case.

...dammit, this is making my strength to wait for a non-FE step-up that much weaker.

Does anyone here know if there is a noticeable performance impact when running additional monitors from a single GPU that are not used while gaming?

I have 3 monitors, only use the center one for gaming and have the side monitors displaying the desktop.

Is it worth getting a cheap small GPU to run those additional monitors off of and just have the main gaming monitor run on the main GPU? The smaller GPU could be used for PhysX stuff as well in the few games that actually use it. Something on the 1050Ti level or something of that nature.

I've seen a few open box/cheap deals on those smaller HTPC sized GPUs that could be good for running additional monitors if they do indeed have any impact.

I've never actually took the time to test it.

Bliany

Damn I somehow managed to miss the 14 day registration window by 1 DAY after getting my 1080 FTW2. I doubt I'd be able to talk them into letting it slide so I guess I'll have to pay $30 for the extended warranty if I want to step up :/

Because EVGA always uses the minimum cooling they can get away with.

After the whole thermal pad fiasco, I think evga will over engineer their heatsinks, at least for the rest of this gen and next. But yeah, acx 3 kind of sucked. It was quiet though even with the fan speeds ramped up, which was nice compared to the jet engine acx 2.

Kevin

With most of the major custom cards releasing several weeks back in the rest of the world, it would be really nice if we could finally hear some news at least in the US as to when these things are coming out here.

Asus Strix, Inno3D ichill... I don't even care at this point, I just want a decent OC card to come out and so far not even a peep. Is everyone under NDA in the USA? I have like two weeks before I need to get a card and I am beginning to think I won't be able to get one before then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, Newegg said 4-7 days for international delivery but today marks a week since DHL picked up the package and the latest tracker update is still a few days old. I was hoping to receive it tomorrow, but Monday is looking far more likely.

Once I've actually received the card, I might kick up a bit of a fuss and see if I can get a refund on the ~AUD$40 I paid for shipping. Assuming it arrives on Monday, of course; tomorrow I'd be fine with.

Edit: Oh, wait, Monday is technically the seventh day. In that case, Tuesday I'd be okay with. Wednesday or later, not so much.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Love that countertop.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Armor 1080tis are supposed to be arriving today.

Those who got one, please share your experience.

Got mine yesterday.

Breath of the wild ran in 4K really well.

Nier Automata at max in game settings, 1080p, no MSAA, and Global Illumination at Medium could mostly hit 120fps, but there were definitely sections where it dropped into the high 100s, low 110s.

Those were the only two games I tested, and I haven't added any additional overclocking yet but that's definitely in store.

Also, with Nier, I didn't have Rivatuner running so there is the possiblity that framerate choking was due to CPU. I've got an i7 6700k at default 4.00 GHz clock.

Compsiox

Banned
Got mine yesterday.

Nier Automata at max in game settings, 1080p, no MSAA, and Global Illumination at Medium could mostly hit 120fps, but there were definitely sections where it dropped into the high 100s, low 110s.

Those were the only two games I tested, and I haven't added any additional overclocking yet but that's definitely in store.

Also, with Nier, I didn't have Rivatuner running so there is the possiblity that framerate choking was due to CPU. I've got an i7 6700k at default 4.00 GHz clock.

What about the temps?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like someone forgot to tell me something. Are we emulating this already and I wan't looking?

Emulating - yes. emulating well? Not quite. But soon, Sunday the next patch comes out that makes the game MOSTLY completely playable. I believe it will be completable start to finish with most major bugs gone, except for camera functionality mostly.

What about the temps?

In CEMU the stats from rivatuner get rendered upside down, and in Nier you can't use Rivatuner with the FAR fixes so I actually didn't get a good read on this. My PC seemed relatively quiet. I'll give it a better look next game session.

Love that countertop.

Haha thanks. Got it throughout the entire kitchen. Also unforeseen excellent backdrop for pics.

By the way, Inno3D cards are really fucking difficult to get a hold of. If anyone here is waiting for one, prepare to wait.

Got mine yesterday.

Lol get a $700 video card, use it to play emulated Wii U game. Even Nier Automata is not a good test. What games that really push graphics do you own?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Haha thanks. Got it throughout the entire kitchen. Also unforeseen excellent backdrop for pics.

By the way, Inno3D cards are really fucking difficult to get a hold of. If anyone here is waiting for one, prepare to wait.

Lol get a $700 video card, use it to play emulated Wii U game. Even Nier Automata is not a good test. What games that really push graphics do you own?

Nier at bufu settings is absolutely what I was waiting on the card to play <3

My other plans for games to look be all beautiful are Dark Souls III downsampled@60fps + Resident Evil 7 at 120fps.

If you've got requests, feel free to check through my owned games and if its installed I can stress test it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Alo81/games/?tab=all

Compsiox

Banned
In CEMU the stats from rivatuner get rendered upside down, and in Nier you can't use Rivatuner with the FAR fixes so I actually didn't get a good read on this. My PC seemed relatively quiet. I'll give it a better look next game session.

Thanks!!

Anyone else?

Pagusas

Elden Member
anyone seen any REAL dimension/measurements of the EVGA FTW3 card? The specs sheet list 10.5", that card is NOT 10.5", the regular SC/SC2 cards are that size and its obvious the FTW is larger. I'm guessing it will be like the ASUS Strix at 11 3/4" long. Some cases will have issues with that.

Edit: Made my own real quick:

Compare.png

that is HUGE. That is a 770sc infront of the 1080ti FTW3. The pci-e slot and the fans are perfectly aligned size wise.

The 770sc is 10.5" long. that would put the FTW3 at nearly (if not!) 12"!

Weevilone

anyone seen any REAL dimension/measurements of the EVGA FTW3 card? The specs sheet list 10.5", that card is NOT 10.5", the regular SC/SC2 cards are that size and its obvious the FTW is larger. I'm guessing it will be like the ASUS Strix at 11 3/4" long. Some cases will have issues with that.

that is HUGE. That is a 770sc infront of the 1080ti FTW3. The pci-e slot and the fans are perfectly aligned size wise.

The 770sc is 10.5" long. that would put the FTW3 at nearly (if not!) 12"!

EVGA confirmed that the 1080 Ti FTW3 is 10.6 inches long, 5.064 inches tall. The published specs are correct.

Linky

Pagusas

Elden Member
EVGA confirmed that the 1080 Ti FTW3 is 10.6 inches long, 5.064 inches tall. The published specs are correct.

Linky

Yeah that cant be right, the posted image does not line up, as i said a 770gtx sc is 10.5 inches long (have one right in front of me that i just messured). If you go by the photoshop job I did above, the measurements comes out to 11.6" for the FTW.

Edit: read deeper into that thread. Something is messed up, either the posted image is wrong or something.

The weird thing is according to my photoshop, the height they gave of 5" IS CORRECT. What I think is happening is they are not including the fan overhang in their measurement, which would be stupid as that would keep it from fitting in some peoples cases.

Weevilone

Yeah that cant be right, the posted image does not line up, as i said a 770gtx sc is 10.5 inches long (have one right in front of me that i just messured). If you go by the photoshop job I did above, the measurements comes out to 11.6" for the FTW.

Edit: read deeper into that thread. Something is messed up, either the posted image is wrong or something.

The weird thing is according to my photoshop, the height they gave of 5" IS CORRECT. What I think is happening is they are not including the fan overhang in their measurement, which would be stupid as that would keep it from fitting in some peoples cases.

I mean their moderator says it's right. Their tech support says it's right. Their product manager says it's right. I'd roll with that vs your Photoshop.

They say the fan extends "slightly" beyond the PCB, which is the same length as the FTW2 PCB. That's listed as 10.5" so 0.1" less than the new card.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I mean their moderator says it's right. Their tech support says it's right. Their product manager says it's right. I'd roll with that vs your Photoshop.

They say the fan extends "slightly" beyond the PCB, which is the same length as the FTW2 PCB. That's listed as 10.5" so 0.1" less than the new card.

I agree I'd trust them over what I did any day of the week, I'm just saying something has to be wrong then, which right now it would appear to be the image they have on the website. It just physically does not fit the deminsions they show. If you messure the card 5" high then the length ends up at 11.6".

Compsiox

Banned
The MSi Armor is amazing. I'm so glad I didn't wait.

I get 60fps or higher in Ghost Recon everything Ultra 1440p. Temps hit 77 max and I'm at 1925 mHz.

Top Bottom