• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treyarch pull Nuketown 2025 pre-order bonus map in Black Ops 2(Up: Back, in playlist)

Veezy

que?
So I'm wrong in my understanding that people who preordered this map still have it to play? That's why I asked my question, to clarify that I understand what I've read previously.

:lol seems like you two have some misplaced angst.

I paid twenty dollars to play the map in some sort of rotation, online. The rest of the shit associated with the digital deluxe pack are useless to me. Since I didn't preorder the game, that was my option.

I, now, with zero warning, cannot do that, if I'm understanding shit correctly. In addition, that is being advertised as part of the deluxe package, currently, and as part of the twenty dollar upgrade, currently, which is a lie, on Steam.

Is my rage misplaced? Am I in the wrong being irked that you seem to believe I don't have the right to be irritated?

MYeager

The map, not the playlist, was used as a pre-order incentive. Entitled fucking assholes.

I guess if they had put *for local/custom multiplayer only, aside from special weekend events, it would not have sounded like an inticing incentive.

Hagi

And to you and TommyT in-game it said it would be 24/7 and NEVER CLOSE.

Take another look:
iSEmcqksR480t.png

That itself is a direct and blatant lie.

Go ahead and dissect my post but you're wrong. It was hyped to hell and back and the damn game said it was there to stay. There is no counter to that. Is it legal? Fuck if I know. Is it ethical? Fuck no.

What a waste of money for me and my friend.

You must be on mobile gaf as well because i have no idea why you're bundling me with Tommy T. Read my post again.

graboids

"technically you still have the map" is the weakest defense I have seen in a while. If its not in rotation or in its own playlist then its really of no use to most people. The state of Nuketown 2025 now is nothing like what they sold us it would be, during the run up to get more pre-orders. I wouldn't be that upset if they were up front about how this would be handled, but they weren't, which is the problem.

Cmagus

That's not true. You might be thinking of Nuketown Zombies.

From Steam:

the Digital Deluxe Edition Includes:

Nuketown 2025 Bonus Map – Relive the close quarters chaos of this classic fan-favorite map re-imagined in a 1960s visionary depiction of the “model home of the future.”

Nuketown Zombies Bonus Map – Battle hordes of Zombies in this beloved 1960s nuclear neighborhood.

Weapon Camo – Rank-up in style with an exclusive multiplayer weapon skin.

2 Player Card Backgrounds – Liven up any killcam with two exclusive player card backgrounds, inspired by Nuketown 2025 and Zombies.

Official Call of Duty®: Black Ops II Soundtrack – A digital copy of composer Jack Wall’s epic in-game score with Theme by Trent Reznor.

Call of Duty®: World at War – Get the Treyarch classic which traverses WWII storylines from the Pacific and European theaters of war.

The regular edition does not include this and the pre-order clearly said that this was the only version that had the map. Only reasons I purchased this was because I didn't want it coming up in playlists and having to leave because I didn't have it.

Fantasmo

So I'm wrong in my understanding that people who preordered this map still have it to play? That's why I asked my question, to clarify that I understand what I've read previously.

I wasn't asking anything about that. Seems like you're having a hard time with a simple question being asked as well, which is rather sad. I mean, I quoted a particular picture and asked a question that related to it. Yet, two people decide to go off on large, rage-filled tangents and can't just answer a simple question.

:lol seems like you two have some misplaced angst.
What part of Nuketown was a 24 7 map and now is not available in public lobbies and its now impossible to play Nuketown with public players do you not understand? No sir, I think your attack on me is rather sad. The advertising is right there in the in-game footage.

"technically you still have the map" is the weakest defense I have seen in a while. If its not in rotation or in its own playlist then its really of no use to most people. The state of Nuketown 2025 now is nothing like what they sold us it would be, during the run up to get more pre-orders. I wouldn't be that upset if they were up front about how this would be handled, but they weren't, which is the problem.
This is exactly it. If (insert game) has something that's only available in certain ways and that functionality is removed and you paid specifically for it and its your game of choice Ill be quite surprised if you don't make a stink.

TommyT

What part of Nuketown was a 24 7 map and now is not available in public lobbies and its now impossible to play Nuketown with public players do you not understand? No sir, I think your attack on me is rather sad. The advertising is right there in the in-game footage.

What part of my question makes you think I care about that?

Yeah, having a hugely popular map like Nuketown 2025 relegated to custom matches essentially removes it from the game for most players.

I don't have a large collection of online friends that I regularly play with, so if I were to pick up CoD then I'd be solely reliant on Treyarch's matchmaking system - a matchmaking system which has just removed the most popular map from the game, and that's a questionable decision to make for the game itself, let alone taking it away from those who obtained it under the massively hyped preorder marketing campaign.

Yeah TommyT, you may not 'care' about it but it's clear that a lot of COD players both here and elsewhere do - as evidenced by the questioning of such a move.

It comes across as shady, misleading and anti-consumer. I'm confused to see people criticising those who are angry about it. At what point do consumers say enough is enough?

Fantasmo

Better question: what part of their advertising is not a scam and why should I be complacent?

So I bought something expecting normal functionality only to have it pulled less than a week later and I'm supposed to say "oh hey I got the map on my hard drive, I can play with bots or hang around local schools to get kids to play it with me"

Hell no I'm gonna make a stink on a forum and hope others do exactly the same.

Nabs

From Steam:

the Digital Deluxe Edition Includes:

Nuketown 2025 Bonus Map – Relive the close quarters chaos of this classic fan-favorite map re-imagined in a 1960s visionary depiction of the “model home of the future.”

Nuketown Zombies Bonus Map – Battle hordes of Zombies in this beloved 1960s nuclear neighborhood.

Weapon Camo – Rank-up in style with an exclusive multiplayer weapon skin.

2 Player Card Backgrounds – Liven up any killcam with two exclusive player card backgrounds, inspired by Nuketown 2025 and Zombies.

Official Call of Duty®: Black Ops II Soundtrack – A digital copy of composer Jack Wall’s epic in-game score with Theme by Trent Reznor.

Call of Duty®: World at War – Get the Treyarch classic which traverses WWII storylines from the Pacific and European theaters of war.

The regular edition does not include this and the pre-order clearly said that this was the only version that had the map. Only reasons I purchased this was because I didn't want it coming up in playlists and having to leave because I didn't have it.

All my friends who preordered it on Steam (regular edition) got the map. It was pretty clear.

Fistwell

The map, not the playlist, was used as a pre-order incentive.
And now no one can play the map online with pubs. Barely anyone plays custom. The map is useless to 95% of the people out there.

Entitled fucking assholes.
Beg your pardon?

Better question: what part of their advertising is not a scam and why should I be complacent?
Well it's either complacent or "entitled fucking asshole" apparently. Your pick. ;D
personally, I'm leaning towards entitled asshole

Cmagus

All my friends who preordered it on Steam (regular edition) got the map. It was pretty clear.

Absolutely not the description on steam made it more than clear it was in the upgraded version only. Don't care anymore I just won't support them anymore fuck em.

rbanke

People who have the map can still play the map in custom matches. These matches won't get populated from the matchmaking system (unless i totally missed something when trying it out) so it's nearly rendered useless for many people. Another problem with this map only being playable in this way is that the multiplayer game is completely built around the matchmaking, leaderboard, progression system, etc, portion of the MP game (which is totally separate from any custom matches you make). It is certainly that portion of the game that people want to play the maps they have. If they offered map packs for sale with the stipulation that they could only be played in custom games, they probably wouldn't sell very well.

Acheron

Banned

I think the more debatable point, rather than the semantic issue which is somewhat moot if the implication was the main force behind pre-order (and with no fine print), is what's your stake in this? Ever since the Mass Effect debacle with the "entitlement" article I've found it funny why gamers seem to have such a high number of people opposed to consumer satisfaction.

Fantasmo

People who have the map can still play the map in custom matches. These matches won't get populated from the matchmaking system (unless i totally missed something when trying it out) so it's nearly rendered useless for many people. Another problem with this map only being playable in this way is that the multiplayer game is completely built around the matchmaking, leaderboard, progression system, etc, portion of the MP game. It is certainly that portion of the game that people want to play the maps they have. If they offered map packs for sale with the stipulation that they could only be played in custom games, they probably wouldn't sell very well.
Exactly. Who am I going to play this with now? My one friend? If I had known this I would have played Black Ops 2 then made my decision to buy or not. That's what a preorder incentive is. They knew exactly what they were doing and they scammed preorder purchasers to fill their bottom line. The TV advertisements mentioned Nuketown every single time. This map is useless to me now outside of when THEY SAY I CAN PLAY IT. Fuck them.

Kusagari

Do you think anyone would have given a shit about the map if they had known beforehand it would only be playable in custom matches outside of "special events"?

You know the answer to that.

The defense of this is sickening.

Kolgar

What a shady move. Glad I got the game at a discount a few days after launch.

I love the game, but I will NOT support such shenanigans.

I'll vote with my wallet, and if that means I play something else and skip the future maps I was going to buy, then so be it.

You're on notice.

Fantasmo

Do you think anyone would have given a shit about the map if they had known beforehand it would only be playable in custom matches outside of "special events"?

You know the answer to that.

The defense of this is sickening.

Worse is he calls ME sad because I enjoyed it and with it now being useless, I feel like I got duped. Talk about a completely obvious baiting tactic. He absolutely must be having a bad day and taking his frustrations out on someone because otherwise none of it makes sense from a basic consumer standpoint. Hope he feels better in a few days, whatever is going on.

TheSeks: 12 players and all modes worked fine. Well, Free for All was horrendous but outside of that it was extremely fun.

It's like The Longest Yard in Quake 3 Arena:

quake-3-arena-02.jpg

where a bunch of people are shooting rockets at each other the whole match. Sure, it looks ridiculous from the outside, but that's what made it so awesome. Thing is, there is no modern day equivalent of Quake 3 with anywhere near as many players so Nuketown is tops. Even if you suck you're bound to get some good plays. People know not to take it seriously. Those that do, don't bother with it. In six days and after so much insanity, I saw maybe four rage quits and no hollering.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not seeing the logic behind this move.

Were people using it progressing too quickly?

Possible. Map's too small for 16 players. It's kinda like Metro Conquest in BF3. Map's not really built for that mode.

Too small a population?

LOL NO. There's a reason Nuketown was spiced-up and ported to Black Ops 2.

Do they actively want to kill new game sales and pre-orders or something? Who signed off on this, they stand to gain nothing from it.

If the map was too small and causing inbalances in stats, here's a novel idea: Patch it to get lower stats on that map :/
My little brother is fuming. Be the last time he buys a CoD new apparently.

If it's causing people to rank up too fast than make the playlist so you only accrue XP at half the rate like the Combat Training playlist.

aku:jiki

I'm not seeing the logic behind this move.

Were people using it progressing too quickly? Too small a population?
It's neither.

I'm assuming that they're going to use the map like they used Terminal for MW3; it was a free map that came out on the same day as a paid "content drop," so it drummed up some interest.

If it's causing people to rank up too fast than make the playlist so you only accrue XP at half the rate like the Combat Training playlist.
Where are so many of you getting that idea? That is absolutely not the reason why they did this. This is not an MMO, no one cares what your rank is because it doesn't actually make you stronger than anyone else.

Valnen

Is it possible some sort of bug was discovered and once patched the map will be available again? Or are they really just this stupid?

mikelb7

Neo Member
everyone here bothered by this with twitter should be sending DMs or tweets @Treyarch and @DavidVonderhaar.

while Treyarch hasn't done anything illegal, this whole fiasco definitely stinks. the only way anything can change is if you actually contact those who are in control. i only bought BLOPS2 for Nuketown 2025 and Zombies. i'm definitely not happy they closed the playlist that "never closes."

TheSeks

Bewildering. Somethingsomething Helsinki Stockholm syndrome?

lol. Top Gear reference, in a Call of Duty thread?

tekneek2k6 said:

Then nobody would play on the map/playlist. It's a catch-22.

Boss Man

Well, you see, they wanted a way to screw over their customers that also did not benefit themselves in any way. It's just business.

aku:jiki

Then nobody would play on the map/playlist. It's a catch-22.
And where are so many of you getting the idea that people only like Nuketown for the XP?

All small maps are popular in all CoD games - the smallest one always gets all the votes in the lobby. These maps perfectly emboy exactly why this series sells so well, and why people like it so much; fast action with zero need to find targets. That's it, it doesn't go deeper than that. People just like to shoot stuff.

Wait, people are defending this?

And to Orange: I'm entitled for wanting a preorder bonus that they touted the entire summer before the game came out? Excuse me?

I know you won't reply, but fuck.

Wait, people are defending this?

And to Orange: I'm entitled for wanting a preorder bonus that they touted the entire summer before the game came out? Excuse me?

I know you won't reply, but fuck.
Look at some of his other posts, I think he thinks it's ridiculous too and was just mocking a different poster a little above him...it's just hard to spot, haha.

On topic...this is really weird. I'm still confused who made the choice to pull it, if the Treyarch guy on Twitter doesn't seem pleased by the decision?

owlbeak

Why do you guys like this map?

Great news! I didn't even bother putting the code in to download it because that map is possibly the worst map I've seen in modern gaming. Shitty thing to do on Treyarch's part though, I will say that.

TheSeks

All small maps are popular in all CoD games - the smallest one always gets all the votes in the lobby. These maps perfectly emboy exactly why this series sells so well, and why people like it so much; fast action with zero need to find targets. That's it, it doesn't go deeper than that. People just like to shoot stuff.

Because they let you rank up quickly. Come on, son. No one would purposely pick Shipment in HQ in CoD4 FOR CAPTURING THE HQ/PTFOing. They use it for PEW PEW PEW KILLSTREAK AIRSTRIKE UNLOCKED. PEW PEW AIRSTRIKE UNLOCKS THE HELICOPTER! NO COVER! NO ESCAPE! +10! +10! +10! in CoD4, they use Nukehouse for the same reason in CoD7 and 9.

Fantasmo

And where are so many of you getting the idea that people only like Nuketown for the XP?

Hardpoint in Nuketown is greatest thing EVER.
You know what sucks? Hardpoint in every other map. I can't even make it to the Hardpoint because you have hundreds of thousands of people trying to be the next Youtube star and they spawn camp and you have no choice but to give up or start your own Youtube team. I'm 32 and work full time. No thanks. Nuketown is small enough where even if you lose it's fun, and even if you suck, you can take some people down. It's the perfect equalizer. It's a great way to unwind, it's a goddamn blast and I essentially can't even play it now. I'd have to spend hours on a forum or in pre match lobbies grabbing people and adding them to my friends list and hoping they stay instead of letting matchmaking dictate that for me. No dedicated servers means no Nuketown. It's useless.

Because they let you rank up quickly. Come on, son. No one would purposely pick Shipment in HQ in CoD4 FOR CAPTURING THE HQ/PTFOing. They use it for PEW PEW PEW KILLSTREAK AIRSTRIKE UNLOCKED. PEW PEW AIRSTRIKE UNLOCKS THE HELICOPTER! NO COVER! NO ESCAPE! +10! +10! +10! in CoD4, they use Nukehouse for the same reason in CoD7 and 9.

I have a saved draw in Theater mode on Hardpoint mode in Nuketown. It was the most fun I've had in a game in years. It reminds me of Longest Yard in Quake 3. Once I have my perks and my go to weapons I don't care anymore about XP and that happened already by this past Wednesday. It's actually a decent map and it plays fast. I died way more than I lived but I was blowing things up and shooting guys up. Is that supposed to make me a strange person?

Acheron

Banned
You people act surprised.

It's Activision for gods sake.

But there's really no winning conclusion for Activision.

Even if they put up the map on marketplace, the pre orders still have it, so there's no additional revenue they are missing nor additional costs they are incurring from running the playlist. All they've done is needlessly piss of people, and that's sloppy.

Top Bottom