• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not Enough Shaders: ACKKStudios claims gaming site fished for Nintendo bashing answer

shuri

Banned
Of course gaming sites will ask 'hard questions' to new studios.

They are such pussies and afraid of losing access to those promo screenshots and dat free fedexed overnight copy of upcoming games that they would never dare to ask tough questions to EA or other giant studios.

edit: oh god at the kotaku drama bomb, AGAIN

freddy

Banned
Wow! It's not every day you get anonymously accused of this sort of thing. This is about me and Kotaku, yes.

I'm disappointed that the developers of that game chose to bash me to another reporter instead of asking me why my story hasn't gone up. If they had asked me, I would have happily told them that the story was pushed back because I didn't want it to get lost among the influx of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Wii U, holiday gift guides, and all the other big stories we've been covering over the past few weeks. I would have told them that their story is not particularly timely, so I wanted to hold it for a time when they could get more attention.

I would have also happily told them how excited I am about the Wii U and how psyched I am to hear that indie developers are doing well on it. I said as much in a podcast recorded yesterday, coincidentally (which you can check out Wednesday over at GameTrailers TV).

Anyone who follows me on Twitter, reads my work on Kotaku, or saw my thoughts on BBC last week knows that I am very high on this system.

I'm also disappointed that the author of this article didn't reach out to get my side of this story. Reporters should not treat other reporters this way.

It's always weird when stuff like this goes public. I still intend to run this story, but now I guess there's more to the story than what I was originally going to run.

So you're denying the questions were slanted?

Striek

Wow! It's not every day you get anonymously accused of this sort of thing. This is about me and Kotaku, yes.

I'm disappointed that the developers of that game chose to bash me to another reporter instead of asking me why my story hasn't gone up. If they had asked me, I would have happily told them that the story was pushed back because I didn't want it to get lost among the influx of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Wii U, holiday gift guides, and all the other big stories we've been covering over the past few weeks. I would have told them that their story is not particularly timely, so I wanted to hold it for a time when they could get more attention.
Manufactured controversy probably garners even more attention for them.

I would have also happily told them how excited I am about the Wii U and how psyched I am to hear that indie developers are doing well on it. I said as much in a podcast recorded yesterday, coincidentally (which you can check out Wednesday over at GameTrailers TV).

Anyone who follows me on Twitter, reads my work on Kotaku, or saw my thoughts on BBC last week knows that I am very high on this system.

I'm also disappointed that the author of this article didn't reach out to get my side of this story. Reporters should not treat other reporters this way.

It's always weird when stuff like this goes public. I still intend to run this story, but now I guess there's more to the story than what I was originally going to run.

iEZtUHlkaLsEB.gif

Hey now, no one mentioned Kotaku! Author of the article bashing author of the article baiting for hits to get hits? That's some meta shit!

I'm disappointed that the developers of that game chose to bash me to another reporter instead of asking me why my story hasn't gone up.

Tbf its clear this was not a shout out but they'd talked privately to someone.
Whether or not the studio should have been named is questionable.

Tbf your personal feelings are not under question but whether you were fishing specifically for negatives; which the dev obviously felt was the only reason you were interviewing them.

Why they felt this way is only natural to be questioned. Hopefully you can answer either here or when the interview goes up.

Probably "WTF EMILY" - dev probably should have been kept anonymous in that. Since they obviously weren't on the record.

Shurs

As said above, if you were lead to believe the interview was about the game you made and it turns out it isn't, then this is clearly not okay. Especially for a small indie studio who needs the exposure! That's simply exploitation.

You're only getting one side of the story, filtered through a "game journalist" who shepherded the game to Nintendo.

Edit: I see Jschreier has responded. He does make an excellent point about not being asked to comment on the situation.

Sorry interviewer, but where there's smoke, there's fire.

This indie dev would not make this accusation if there was not some truth to it. He has no reason to.

For shame.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Feel bad for the developer, hope they still get their fair shake by Kotaku in the future.

@jschreiner
Props, for clearing things up ASAP.

Hero

So you are denying the accusations of how the interview went down? Is it also common practice to not have an interview posted after three weeks without giving an ETA on when it will be online?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Just noticed this shocking revelation.

So you admit to pulverising WiiUs and snorting it in powered form for kicks?

Woffls

All we're going to take away from the dozens of pages ahead is that it didn't take much for us to believe this in the first place, so there's a problem somewhere.

To be fair, Mr. Schreier, your comments exacerbate the situation. Provided your questioning did provide a negative slant, that would have given you a story that could have gone up at that time. However, as you did not get that, the article was held...

That's but one explanation, however.

EDIT: More of a guess, really.

If anyone ever asks about the state of gaming journalism, refer them to this thread. It's all amateur hour up in here. Kotaku and Not Enough Shaders both.

Mr. Schreier probably should have sent a heads up to his interviewees. Sure he's not obligated to but professional courtesy.

And I have pretty much had it up to here with the blog/enthusiast scene. Hey Emily, always try to get the other side - it makes for better stories.

Click on that.

Corto

There's been nothing cleared up at all.

The fact the interview wasn't published yet it's certainly cleared up. The accusation of a slanted interview was not as that depends on the publishing of the interview in the first place, so we can decide for ourselves. A new platform from Nintendo is launching, with a new online store with new policies. It's only natural that an interviewer asks to a developer releasing in that platform how is that going, if there are any bumps in that process.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All we're going to take away from the dozens of pages ahead is that it didn't take much for us to believe this in the first place, so there's a problem somewhere.

The gaming media has such a negative reputation that we'll believe any negative said about them. But who is at fault for giving them such a negative reputation? I know I'm totally innocent so they better not go blaming me for this situation.

Maybe they were just pissed off that the line of questioning had a very negative tone? Some of the Wii U reporting has been nothing short of a disgrace (not Kotaku). Although maybe they could have brought up these issues during the interview....

watershed

Banned
Emily Rogers pulling the article is a stupid move. It says that she doesn't stand by her own work.

However I hope that when the original interview is posted, it will be posted in its entirety so that we can judge whether the questions were slanted or not. Now the interview is sure to get more hits than if it were just another Nintendo bashing article.

madmackem

No surprise it seems shitting on nintendo is hot right now, on the back of the doritos dew thing and the eurogamer thing i dont really trust many so called gaming press at the moment.

Ydahs

Wait... I thought she spoke with the developers... This is more awkward than the time I couldn't get it up.

*cue to Family Guy-esque clip*

As I said before... Bad Karma for ACKKStudios!

Probably asking for their permission to publish the article. Seems both parties are have been left in the dark here.

Wait... I thought she spoke with the developers... This is more awkward than the time I couldn't get it up.

She speaks with them; just didn't ask about writing the article evidently.
She didn't need to speak to them just say 'developers I've spoke to'; naming them was bullshitty and basically burns all the bridges shes been building.

People might still do on the record interviews with her; but I certainly wouldn't speak confidently thinking I have anonymity.

Top Bottom