• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 patch notes

The YouTube app is just that... it's an App and not a firmware update.

Email Google about that one.

So you think google really wanted to have an app on the XB1 six months ago, and just decided to skip out on the PS4?

Or, is it more likely Microsoft assisted in making that happen with google in time for the launch of the console?

Sounds like Tidux was just flat out wrong and is trying to save face. The few things he got right were vague and could've been guessed by anyone.

Yup

What about those of us who don't care about "sharing" or "streaming?"

Where's the Deep Color support?

Where's the option to select Super White?

Where's the YouTube app?

For those of us who use the browser, where's the Flash support?

Where's the fix that fixes the RGB Range issue?

1)Deep Color is not supported by the Blu-ray Specifications so it's not that important
2) It's there from the first day YCbCr Range: set FULL
3) youtube.com/TV
4) Everything on the internet is moving to HTML5 or at lest support both Flash and HTML5
5) What RGB range issue?

VanWinkle

So you think google really wanted to have an app on the XB1 six months ago, and just decided to skip out on the PS4?

Or, is it more likely Microsoft assisted in making that happen with google?

So you think Sony really just doesn't care about having Youtube on the PS4?

Or, is it more likely you see everything about the PS4 OS in an unnecessarily negative light?

casmith07

Some good steps forward. In due time they'll add a ton of great features.

Glad that they are keeping these updates coming relatively quickly.

Sounds like a good update. All they need is DLNA support, mp3 support and friend notifications.

Oh and organize the menu. : P Give apps their own section.

Maybe we should have a PS4 video share thread too since we can finally upload video outside of the awful Facebook video.

I know I will share more videos now that I can upload them to abload or YouTube or whatever

[*]Suspend / Resume would be a big feature to talk about, and I would imagine it would have taken a long while to get up and running, especially with stability incase to not lose data when using it or expect huge backlashes from frustrated gamers losing progress.

There is no excuse for not having suspend/resume ready day one. This company has two consoles with suspend/resume on the market and for the most part that feature was ready day one PSP and PSVita. I don't buy the it's new hardware and it would take time and all the other excuses given. It was a priority at the reveal and now it an after thought.

Korezo

What about those of us who don't care about "sharing" or "streaming?"

Where's the Deep Color support?

Where's the option to select Super White?

Where's the YouTube app?

For those of us who use the browser, where's the Flash support?

Where's the fix that fixes the RGB Range issue?

The RGB works like its suppose to, only with monitors not televisions. And how can I check if super white is working on the ps3? Because I never can tell a difference with it on or off. Anyway most of those display features you want are worthless if you have your TV set correct. A lot of places I see always say to disable those thing for correct picture settings. Those are probably more for monitors.

So you think Sony really just doesn't care about having Youtube on the PS4?

Or, is it more likely you see everything about the PS4 OS in an unnecessarily negative light?

Would you stop with your whining? I bought a PS4 the day it came out because I was excited about the platform. I want to see it be the best console it can be, and so far Sony has clearly let people down on the firmware front. It took them a long time to deliver this first update, and some of us are beginning to worry it's gonna be a long haul before we see some rather basic features show up.

USC-fan

Banned
Very weak update overrall

Like the dim option for led.
preloading is awesome
720p streaming and save recording is great.

No fixed for large patches
Suspend game missing still
streaming game demos
Still no friend notifications

Would you stop with your whining? I bought a PS4 the day it came out because I was excited about the platform. I want to see it be the best console it can be, and so far Sony has clearly let people down on the firmware front. It took them a long time to deliver this first update, and some of us are beginning to worry it's gonna be a long haul before we see some rather basic features show up.
how is this the first update?

There have already been a couple I know of... the last one adding wireless headset support.

VanWinkle

Would you stop with your whining? I bought a PS4 the day it came out because I was excited about the platform. I want to see it be the best console it can be, and so far Sony has clearly let people down on the firmware front. It took them a long time to deliver this first update, and beginning to worry it's gonna be a long haul before we see some rather basic features show up.

It's impossible for them to have not disappointed some people, no matter how many features they added. They can only do so much. This is an objectively substantial firmware update for a console. This first big update took awhile, but that doesn't mean that it's setting a precedent for timing. They have logically been working on a lot of fixes and features, and they waited until they have a good amount of them polished to release this update. But there's things they're still working on that AREN'T ready to release now. Maybe in a month. Maybe two months. Maybe more - who knows. It doesn't mean they are going to now only release one substantial update every six months.

A lot of us are disappointed that some features weren't in this update; friend notifications, themes/wallpapers, DLNA, local media playback, etc. I know I am, but I also know that they can't get everything out at once, and that maybe, to the broader gaming audience beyond hardcore gamers, Share and streaming improvements are a more pressing matter than themes and DLNA.

You realize their strategy of waiting to do big updates with lots of added features and enhancements on PS4 is probably a direct response to the endless criticism they received about the PS3 requiring updates too frequently, right?

spwolf

yeah, it does not work that way... software is not developed and tested in days. Most of these things have probably been in pipeline long before PS4 shipped. And so are other features that they are probably looking to add as well. There is no magic wand in software development.

vypek

yeah, it does not work that way... software is not developed and tested in days. Most of these things have probably been in pipeline long before PS4 shipped. And so are other features that they are probably looking to add as well. There is no magic wand in software development.

Well put. I have a feeling people think software development is easier than it really is.

how is this the first update?

There have already been a couple I know of... the last one adding wireless headset support.

How about the first update that matters? Stability updates don't count.

It's impossible for them to have not disappointed some people, no matter how many features they added. They can only do so much. This is an objectively substantial firmware update for a console. This first big update took awhile, but that doesn't mean that it's setting a precedent for timing. They have logically been working on a lot of fixes and features, and they waited until they have a good amount of them polished to release this update. But there's things they're still working on that AREN'T ready to release now. Maybe in a month. Maybe two months. Maybe more - who knows. It doesn't mean they are going to now only release one substantial update every six months.

A lot of us are disappointed that some features weren't in this update; friend notifications, themes/wallpapers, DLNA, local media playback, etc. I know I am, but I also know that they can't get everything out at once, and that maybe, to the broader gaming audience beyond hardcore gamers, Share and streaming improvements are a more pressing matter than themes and DLNA.

You are missing the entire point. We shouldn't even be discussing the color of the main UI being unchangeable six months after launch. Same goes for friends notifications. How about that suspend/resume feature Sony bragged about on stage in February 2013?

Sony chose to keep the firmware team locked away in a bunker in Japan once again, and this is the consequence of that decision. They're still based nowhere near the vast majority of their customers, seemingly unreachable in the age of social media.

They've come a long way from the early PS3 days, but they're still well behind where they should be.

You realize their strategy of waiting to do big updates with lots of added features and enhancements on PS4 is probably a direct response to the endless criticism they received about the PS3 requiring updates too frequently, right?

What you just said does nothing to explain obvious features still missing six months after launch.

Massa

Sony chose to keep the firmware team locked away in a bunker in Japan once again, and this is the consequence of that decision. They're still based nowhere near the vast majority of their customers, seemingly unreachable in the age of social media.

Source?

ethomaz

Banned
PS3 can do that?o_O
No.

I disagree... Sony never was so close to the customers like they are now... even Yosh answer and take all the feedback from what the PS4 users wants in the new firmwares... the PS.Blog the same... it is amazing how they are doing everything the users are asking.

They really using the social media to make a better system to us.

Just give time the features will come naturally... if you work with software development you know how hard is to put everything in one update.

Interviews with people like Yosp? I've definitely heard interviews with Sony people where they mentioned giving feedback to "the firmware teams in Japan".

They certainly would have made it known if they'd moved that responsibility to the U.S.

I hate to be that guy since something is better than nothing, but seriously I can't believe these are features that most people were begging for. It's like they didn't listen at all.

hawk2025

How about the first update that matters? Stability updates don't count.

You are missing the entire point. We shouldn't even be discussing the color of the main UI being unchangeable six months after launch. Same goes for friends notifications. How about that suspend/resume feature Sony bragged about on stage in February 2013?

They've come a long way from the early PS3 days, but they're still well behind where they should be.

What you just said does nothing to explain obvious features still missing six months after launch.

What consequence?

The first console to have proper preloading?

Great upgrades to streaming and video editing? Listening to people and letting us dim the lightbar?

It's fine to personally prefer other priorities; you'll excuse me for thinking it's more than a little silly to make grand statements based on your own personal priorities.

Massa

Interviews with people like Yosp? I've definitely heard interviews with Sony people where they mentioned giving feedback to "the firmware teams in Japan".

They certainly would have made it known if they'd moved that responsibility to the U.S.

I don't think they would, but to be honest I don't think it matters at all where the teams are based.

Speaking of feedback though, they're improving sharing and streaming functionality, adding support for pre-loads and even changing the dual shock 4 light bar. These are some of the most requested features for the system, so they're clearly listening to user feedback regardless of where the people writing code are based.

jeffyjaixx

kAGAxJh.gif

Jburton

Banned
This is more a case of give us what we were promised and paid for.

What where we promised that we don't have?

suspend / resume? ........ known before launch it was not ready, no date given.

mp3 / mp4 / dlna playback / support .......... nothing promised or stated, only assumptions and disappointments based on those assumptions ....... coming but no date.

Don't get me wrong, I want these things but I don't feel cheated, I knew before launch (as did all) that the things that are missing where so.

Raoh

You probably won't ever see that. Amazon Prime is exclusive to Amazon's Fire devices in the portable space.

That's disappointing, I at least get it on my iOS devices but not my android devices. Yet another reason for dlna support so I can stream those services from apps like PlayOn and Plex.

Top Bottom