• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG: No handheld-only Switch at launch.

TheJoRu

The dock is probably so cheap that making a SKU with only the handheld is kinda worthless until they can do other stuff like make it smaller.

I'm sure Nintendo will offer different form factors down the line. It's important that they start with the hybrid unit first because that's the main selling point of the device. I seem to remember Iwata saying multiple form factors of the same hardware was Nintendo's eventual goal though.

Think about the cost though. If they sold a PSTV-like device without a screen, it would be significantly cheaper.

Saves money for people who will never use it as a handheld?

That's fair. Though from Nintendo's perspective, it does run the risk of devaluing the primary sku if it's sold significantly cheaper, and confusing the market.

Either this hypothetical TV-Only option is not named the Switch at all, which makes it sound like a wholly separate product that might not run Switch games, or it's a system with the word Switch in it that doesn't actually switch.

Ooh, that's a pretty good idea actually. I'd definitely like one extra one for another room.

I think it could still connect to a TV (or else it would lose what makes it the "Switch"), but the dock would probably be sold separately.

You may be right, but my opinion is then that it may cause Nintendo financial complications/concerns where people may buy the Switch mini and mini dock cheaper than the OG Switch. I don't think Nintendo wants a scenario like that. They will most likely keep it more simple than that when offering a handheld version.

Neoxon

Not surprising given the whole point of the Switch. Though this may mean that you need the dock to play on your TV.

The dock is probably so cheap that making a SKU with only the handheld is kinda worthless until they can do other stuff like make it smaller.

Making it smaller would also be pretty worthless if the cost doesn't come down with the size, which I doubt it would anytime soon.

pastrami

I can't see it being that expensive. Its really just a charging dock with tv out adapters

We are talking about the same Nintendo that didn't bother including a charging cable for the New 3DS right?

Personally, this seems like a move to increase the MSRP of the product in two ways. First off, you offer "value" with the dock, justifying a higher MSRP. And secondly, by emphasizing the console aspect of the product, I think it becomes easier to charge more for the product. We've seen what happens to $249 handhelds. But a $249-$299 console? Much easier to swallow.

LewieP

How is it in a compromised manner?

Remove the battery, screen, click in controllers and portable form factor and you'd have a more powerful home console for the same price. Or a similar home console for cheaper.

Design it just to be a handheld and they could reduce the screen size/resolution a little, make it one solid device rather than a convertible, and improve the battery life a reasonable amount.

I think all three of these form factors would make sense, and obviously they would all share the same library of games.

LakeEarth

I'm surprised this was even an option at launch, Nintendo is clearly actively trying to avoid confusion. Offering a TV or handheld-only option would do just that.

jmizzal

I'm just happy we didnt lose the best feature from the WiiU

Off TV play, being able to play games and watch tv at the same time is great
Now can go to another tv with the Switch, so even if I dont use it outside the house it can be valuable

JoeM86

Remove the battery, screen, click in controllers and portable form factor and you'd have a more powerful home console for the same price. Or a similar home console for cheaper.

Design it just to be a handheld and they could reduce the screen size/resolution a little, make it one solid device rather than a convertible, and improve the battery life a reasonable amount.

I think all three of these form factors would make sense, and obviously they would all share the same library of games.

I disagree that these mean it's a compromised machine. You're just wanting Nintendo to adopt a "me too" policy. Look at the Vita, that was essentially the handheld you describe and it bombed hard.

Nintendo shouldn't just do the same as the rest, they need to do other things to stay relevant because they can't throw as much money at things as Sony & Microsoft can.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I sure hope they sell docks by themselves, even if just in Nintendo's part store, so I can put one on each TV in the house.

Schnozberry

That's fair. Though from Nintendo's perspective, it does run the risk of devaluing the primary sku if it's sold significantly cheaper, and confusing the market.

Either this hypothetical TV-Only option is not named the Switch at all, which makes it sound like a wholly separate product that might not run Switch games, or it's a system with the word Switch in it that doesn't actually switch.

It would also completely eliminate the major hook for the product and the reason for it's namesake. It would be Wii U levels of confusion all over again.

Later down the line Nintendo could have a Switch TV and Switch Handheld. Marrket them as console only and handheld only and mark it plainly on the box.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, the way Vita TV performed even by comparison to Vita really forces the hand of Nintendo into making a screen-less version. /s

This is "Wii U without gamepad" again and we know how that turn out. But good luck with it!

Later down the line Nintendo could have a Switch TV and Switch Handheld market them as console only and handheld only and Mark it plainly on the box.

Say those names in loud voice, maybe you'll realise the logical contradiction.

I'm just happy we didnt lose the best feature from the WiiU

Off TV play, being able to play games and watch tv at the same time is great
Now can go to another tv with the Switch, so even if I dont use it outside the house it can be valuable

It's even better now because the image isn't being streamed. That means none of the artifacting that was seen on the game pad screen. Assuming it is a 720p screen as rumors suggest, that too is a nice feature because you get HD on the go as well.

LewieP

I was under the impression that the tablet had an HDMI out and the dock was just an accessory. o_O

It's not a question of including a dock, it's about an entire device designed to be a handheld rather than a hybrid.

Key differences would be it would be smaller, have longer battery life, not have any removable parts, and be cheaper.

Obviously these are somewhat inferences based on available information and simple logic about the given limitations of various components.

I disagree that these mean it's a compromised machine. You're just wanting Nintendo to adopt a "me too" policy. Look at the Vita, that was essentially the handheld you describe and it bombed hard.

Nintendo shouldn't just do the same as the rest, they need to do other things to stay relevant because they can't throw as much money at things as Sony & Microsoft can.

It is obviously compromised. I think for a large section of the audience Nintendo is targeting, the benefits gained from those compromises are worth it, and it will probably prove a successful strategy.

Do you think the Vita would have failed to the same extent if it had the entire output of all of Nintendo's developers available on it? And you could play all Vita games on a PS4 with just one purchase?

I'm not saying the Switch as announced is a bad idea, I'm saying that the approach they have taken, especially with using Tegra chips, grants them a degree of flexibility which suits a strategy of offering a variety of form factors with a shared software library. It would be madness to not capitalize on this flexibility.

Taker666

Why on earth would they sell the handheld separately if it's just a "dumb dock" that's purely for video out/power in?

You'd be looking at a price of well under $10 (probably well under $5) for a piece of plastic with input/output ports. Any savings from removing the dock would be negligible...you'd likely be looking at an rrp of $240 vs $250. Utterly pointless to have an additional SKU when the price difference would be so small.

The only major savings that could be made would be on home console only SKU without the added cost of the 720p touchscreen, dock, speakers etc.

Nice to know Nintendo gave some thought to not confusing people. Game store employees will be glad to not have to explain things like "this is not a DS with a 3D screen, it's a whole new system" and "the Wii U is not a Wii accessory."

I'm like 90% sure handheld and console only Switches will come down the line. Right now they need the big idea of the Switch to be crystal clear. Still keep in mind this is the same company that came out with a 3DS without the 3D so it's plenty plausible to release a Switch without the Switch part.

This suggests the dock is very cheap to manufacture, which is a good thing in my opinion. I'd love to be able to buy extra docks for $10-20 for other rooms of my house.

This is something I'm very excited about. I have two XBox One's for my living room and my office.Being able to quickly pick up and move the system to another display is really nifty.

I imagine there will be a pocketable switch in the future thats cheaper and doesnt have separate joycons thats for kids akin to the 2ds.

Anth0ny

Of course they wouldn't at launch. too confusing.

I really see a cheaper Nintendo Switch Go and Nintendo Switch Home happening at some point, though.

Bert

Honestly though, what would be the point? If the handheld is that useless to you, then permanently leave it in the dock and use the pro controller. It's Nintendo, a hypothetical TV-only version isn't going to be like the PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio of the Switch, it'd just be a version of the system missing features.

If it knocks $50-100 off the price, it's worth it. No battery, no screen, no docking hardware or mechanism, it's going to be considerably cheaper.

It would also completely eliminate the major hook for the product and the reason for it's namesake. It would be Wii U levels of confusion all over again.

Yep. Folks like us that post on GAF have a significantly higher understanding of what's going on than the majority of the market that Nintendo's shooting for. When grammy is at the electronics section in Walmart to buy Timmy's Christmas gift. She's not gonna understand wtf she needs to buy if there are three different skus, if those skus are all branded as being Nintendo Switches, or if only one of them is, but the games are all branded as Nintendo Switch games. It's absurdly unclear, which was their biggest problem through the last gen.

I'm like 90% sure handheld and console only Switches will come down the line. Right now they need the big idea of the Switch to be crystal clear. Still keep in mind this is the same company that came out with a 3DS without the 3D so it's plenty plausible to release a Switch without the Switch part.

This is what I'm thinking as well. For now it's important that they have a successful launch around the core concept of the Switch. Later they can release additional form factors if the market is there.

tkscz

What's really needed later is TV-only.

... why? No seriously. Had an argument to a friend about this. If you don't want to use the handheld, then don't. Leave it in the dock and poof, it's a console now. Never have to remove it. It is now TV-only. Even if they did make a TV-only version, I doubt it would be much cheaper, if not cheaper at all.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
The Switch is a Home Console first and foremost. Not sure why there would be an option for portable only. it is called Switch for a reason.

Vena

Its promising (and sad) that we're pleasantly surprised that they will be keeping their messaging on-point.

That being said, I don't think the dock actually costs more than like ~5$ to make. Its just ports and connectors, the guts are all in the Switch core unit.

Rappy

So replacing Wii U? Yeah, that's slightly better. Totally worth the brand fuckup.
This info is specifically talking about brand confusion at launch and people are hoping for other models down the line. Because the 2DS really fucked up the 3ds brand right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This info is specifically talking about brand confusion at launch and people are hoping for other models down the line. Because the 2DS really fucked up the 3ds brand right?

So what you would do later? Launch a tablet-less sku and call it Switch Noswitch? Call it something totally different and add stickers on the game boxes?

BadWolf

Having a home unit without the portability component would require them to design a new 'console'.

Selling the handheld unit without the dock wouldn't make much of a difference in the end. The dock can't cost much if all it is is a dock with HDMI out.

In either case the Switch name stops making sense, and what makes the product unique gets taken out of the equation.

So yeah, Nintendo should just keep selling the complete package. No confusion, no hassle.

Are we forgetting the fact that the 3DS kind-of tanked out of the gate? It's hardly the example to use when talking about avoiding brand confusion. For fuck's sake, the thing launched at a time that Nintendo was still selling the DSlite and DSi, making the 3DS look like the next iteration and not the true successor. It took a while for people to realize what was going on.

This is going to be Wii U levels of confusion isn't it?

Damn Nintendo needs to get their stories straight. This was supposed to be the fresh start....

Top Bottom