• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Orville |OT| MacFarlane's sci-fi com-, wait it's a drama!? That can't be right

It's weird. I like 95% of it, but the last 5% is a struggle

Spoiler: that 5% is Seth Macfarlane. I even think with a better actor the jokes might be serviceable. But everything about him is struggle.
This is actually what's been pushing me away from watching it. I find him insufferable.

Ratings:

E1 Sunday after football: 2.7
E2 Sunday after football: 2.2
E3 Thursday after Gotham: 1.1

At least it did better than Gotham.
Gotham cratered, huh? Both shows stink though I've found the first two episodes of The Orville somewhat appealing for reasons I am unable to articulate.

Didn't like this episode. They took a relevant and interesting concept and ruined it with poor execution. Human morals > everyone else's? No gray area? Fuck that noise.

Seth continues to be the worst part of this show.

Ri'Orius

Just got done watching the episode. In the begining someone says a female is born every 75 years. With the witness they find and the guys partner both being born female,it's safe to say it's more common then that. I wonder if it's actually 50/50 and everyone gets the operation and never talks about it.

Yeah, I was sure the scanner settings the Captain requested was checking to see how many of the Klingons were genetic females. And I expected it to be 50/50: I don't think that makes sense, but it seemed like the cheesy sort of ending I'd expect from this show. "Your greatest writer was a female hermit" was better (although still super cheesy). And I do respect the court deciding the other way.

I'll admit I always find these sorts of episodes frustrating because everyone's making terrible arguments. "This female is strong! This male is dumb! What if the baby cures cancer!" And it could've been a great opportunity to build out the world: talk about how the history of how female prohibition became the norm, maybe have some data (of questionable accuracy) on female physical performance back when they were around, that sort of thing.

And also mention how in an increasingly integrated society a female may be shunned on the Klingon homeworld but could find friends and community in the Federation.

Why did MacFarlane put himself in the show? I'm sure Fox wouod have forked out the money for a decent actor.

If you had the chance to be captain of a starship on a TV show, would you turn that down? I've gotta imagine Seth has enough cash he can afford to have a flop, and I know if I were in that sort of position I'd rather be the captain than just write or direct or whatever.

That said, I do find the fact that it's Brian's voice distracting. I think the show would be better with someone else, but it's not a make-or-break detail IMO.

One final issue I tend to have with Trek that this show exacerbates: everyone is still super into 21st century pop culture. Quoting Beyonce, reality TV in the last episode, etc. Even in Star Trek you'd have people fixated on historical cultural interests like baseball, Shakespeare and Western movies. One of the few things I liked about the TNG pilot was that they didn't just go over historical despots, they also threw in some in the interim between now and when TNG takes place, which helped it feel like it was a show in the future, not just in space.

That said, I loved that Rudolph was the tipping point. Runs into the same sort of pop-culture and bad argument issues I have, but somehow that specifically worked for me. Best moment of the episode IMO.

DBT85

Have to I generally liked the episode. Felt it could have done with being a bit later once we knew a bit more about Bortus and his people.

Also like the ending.

However. Drop the divorce bitching, and once again the "comedy" is often falling flat. And calling the opposition a dick in a courtroom? Eugh.

I watch it. I liked a lot of it.

I’m just gonna repeat what I said last week. This show needs to pick what it wants to be.

The moments in the show, where it was just drama again were better than the ones with the jokes.

Ratings:

E1 Sunday after football: 2.7
E2 Sunday after football: 2.2
E3 Thursday after Gotham: 1.1

At least it did better than Gotham.

Curious if numbers rebound because people forgot. I know I did. I liked the 3rd episode too.

I personally found the entire claymation Rudolph shit hilarious. I liked the end too.

Just got done watching the episode. In the begining someone says a female is born every 75 years. With the witness they find and the guys partner both being born female,it's safe to say it's more common then that. I wonder if it's actually 50/50 and everyone gets the operation and never talks about it.
That's what I figured too.
Gotham cratered, huh? Both shows stink though I've found the first two episodes of The Orville somewhat appealing for reasons I am unable to articulate.

Gotham has been in that 1.0 or slightly above area since like season two.

Koomaster

My friend and I have been watching and forgot there was a schedule change, or we were never told, I don't know which. I guess they didn't want to compete against real Trek on Sundays. We caught up with it tonight though.

Anyway, we've been liking things so far, feels like alternate universe where Trek never happened or TOS was a sitcom which lead to future Treks being funny.

Morals wise I sort of agree with the aliens, when your whole society is male it's kind of fucked up to have a child have to deal with being born another gender when it's so rare. That lady alien from the cave didn't help. Oh your family had to raise you in isolation in a cave and this is a good thing?

I think the only question I came away with was that the robot said one female every 75 years, but clear examples of that cave lady, the guy's mate and their daughter. So that's 3 since cave lady was born at the very least. I'm just wondering if females being born are rare but are dealt with quickly/privately and actual numbers just aren't reported because it's considered shameful/embarrassing.

Edit
Guess I should have read more replies. Glad I'm not the only one wondering this. I doubt it's 50/50, that would be far too common to keep quiet. But even 1-5% could be a huge number, at least over saying only 1/75yrs.

Ri'Orius

Edit
Guess I should have read more replies. Glad I'm not the only one wondering this. I doubt it's 50/50, that would be far too common to keep quiet. But even 1-5% could be a huge number, at least over saying only 1/75yrs.

Come to think of it, "once every 75 years" isn't really a biology-based statistic. Realistically it would be some percentage of babies born. So it's possible that that number was accurate when their society started sex-changing babies, but since then the population has grown enough that a % which used to be "once per 75 years" has become "once per 25 years."

Kalentan

Come to think of it, "once every 75 years" isn't really a biology-based statistic. Realistically it would be some percentage of babies born. So it's possible that that number was accurate when their society started sex-changing babies, but since then the population has grown enough that a % which used to be "once per 75 years" has become "once per 25 years."

I think the idea is that most scientist outside of the Moclan probably only hear about a female being born every 75 or so years and since the Moclan don't seem to discuss it much, that's basically all the data they have.

So it's probably far more common but most cases are never heard about and the Moclan most likely never finds out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol..i just explained it that way to a friend. It's like i know that this is not real trek, and I know that the captain is the family guy, but somehow because of the tone (and very heavily copied music and story structure), it feels like a new season from a spinoff TNG show.

I have to say that I'm kinda loving it.

I wish that they'd stuck to their guns in the 3rd episode and kept pushing in the direction about the ethics of the humans pushing their morality on an alien species. Much more interesting. They took the MUCH easier way out...although that ending was that good kind of moral kleenex cheesy that only old-school television (or Dick Wolf) can deliver.

The only problem i have with this show is that it's not on every day. Trek should be daily. That's my memory of it, anyway...

It's funny because if it was Janeway, she would have found a way to nuke the planet because of their views and justify it by saying that she's right and everyone is wrong. :p

How long before they do a mirror universe episode? :p

You know MacFarlane is itching to put on a mustache and twirl it for the camera!

Epcott

Macfarlane sucks... but I enjoyed that third episode.

Episode 1: Garbolla
Episode 2: Predictable but better
Episode 3: Wow, much better. Some dialog was cringy, some was decent. Felt like a true parody TNG episode with less stupidity.

They better get Michael Dorn to cameo in the future.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Curious if numbers rebound because people forgot. I know I did. I liked the 3rd episode too.
It won't. Even if a ton of people forgot you also have to remember that it aired against repeats on all other networks. It starts to face actual competition (including Thursday Night Football this week) from here on out.

You know MacFarlane is itching to put on a mustache and twirl it for the camera!
He's also dying to put the female cast in slutty costumes.

The humor felt out of place again this episode, and the moral conflict felt like a copy of a copy of something from TNG. The development and the payoff felt a bit clumsy.

But I'll keep watching the show, because it's still delivering that comfy Trek feeling. I just like having an episode to watch weekly without the baggage of previous lesser Trek series.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The fact that we're all still watching this despite the fact that it sucks shows how thirsty we are for a god damned spaceships and martians show on TV. Why did it take so long for someone to just shamelessly rip off Star Trek and why the hell did it have to be Seth McFarlane. Discovery would have to be a SEVERE fuckin turd to not look like DS9 compared to this.

After these three episodes, I don't get how they are getting away with ripping of Star Trek like this. But I don't mind, it's pretty nice to watch. Nothing too high quality, but interesting enough to stay with it.

aliengmr

The fact that we're all still watching this despite the fact that it sucks shows how thirsty we are for a god damned spaceships and martians show on TV. Why did it take so long for someone to just shamelessly rip off Star Trek and why the hell did it have to be Seth McFarlane. Discovery would have to be a SEVERE fuckin turd to not look like DS9 compared to this.

Because Seth MacFarlane has been saying the same exact thing for years.

Jobbs

Banned
Episode 1 was a trainwreck on a level that was almost unbelievable.

Because I hate myself, I watched episode 2. It soared to the height of being awkward and mediocre.

I was still curious so I watched episode 3 and actually liked it. It felt like Star Trek Lite.. And since we haven't had Star Trek in many years, Star Trek Lite is pretty damn watchable.

If they continue on this trajectory it could end up being a solid show.

nOoblet16

You can have light hearted characters without having these space ship crew act like teenagers or making awkward sex jokes.

The one thing that bugs me the most is that due to the way they talk, their mannerism and everything is so...modern day. It doesn't feel like they are playing characters in a futuristic space ship, instead it feels like they are people from today just playing dresses up without a script and just winging it.

Now that would be fine if the show was an actual satire or comedy and not really a light drama. But in its current premise it feels off. Seth MacFarlane stick out during dramatic scenes though.

With that said, this was a good episode, especially the tribunal part near the end was very well done.

Wag

Surprised nobody else noted how what a blatant rip-off ep3 was off of The Left Hand of Darkness. I wonder what would happen if Usala K. Le Guin got wind of it- if she could sue FOX for plagiarism?

We all know MacFarlane loves his classic sci-fi, but that was a bit ridiculous.

Episode 1 was a trainwreck on a level that was almost unbelievable.

Because I hate myself, I watched episode 2. It soared to the height of being awkward and mediocre.

I was still curious so I watched episode 3 and actually liked it. It felt like Star Trek Lite.. And since we haven't had Star Trek in many years, Star Trek Lite is pretty damn watchable.

If they continue on this trajectory it could end up being a solid show.

This is where I have tracked and came to on the show as well. It has gotten better each episode, hope it continues.

Just watched the first episode. It feels A LOT like Star Trek. The one difference is that the various crews on the various Trek series had this constant, unwavering sense of professionalism, not only when they were on the clock, but also in their leisure time. That's not what this show is. The crew here feels more like a bunch of real life co-workers. I like it. I'll definitely keep watching.

Well, now that Discovery has started, it's clear that it's doing its own thing in a very cinematic direction, which is fine, but it also means that The Orville isn't redundant in any way. TV Trek was always different from movie Trek, but Discovery is decidedly more on the movie side.

zeshakag

Yeah, I've followed a similar trajectory as others. First episode is a weird overly silly Star Trek knockoff. Episode 2 is slightly better (with real moments scattered about) and finally episode 3, which literally feels like watching sindicated TNG. It's a very comforting feeling.

I like The Orville. What the hell?

There is still a ton of pilot-goofiness (not talking about the humor, which I feel is getting better).

I like that the show knows that humans can't just go around changing everyone else's morals successfully, while also having Seth's character slightly reconsider his own position.

The Rudolph movie felt really fast and contrived, and I kind of didn't like how the crew underhandedly tried to change his mind (I feel like this is something the crew would do in season 2 once everyone's really comfortable with each other). But TNG also pulled plot advancements on a dime. It had a good emotional payoff with the Rudolph doll at the end.

This show isn't afraid of pacing itself slower than other shows, and doesn't feel a need to be grimdark. This in itself is why I even made it past episode 1.

I hope the show continues to settle into its trajectory of quality. Hopefully the ratings gives the show enough network time to simmer and produce a more polished version of what Episode 3 was.

Well, now that Discovery has started, it's clear that it's doing its own thing in a very cinematic direction, which is fine, but it also means that The Orville isn't redundant in any way. TV Trek was always different from movie Trek, but Discovery is decidedly more on the movie side.

I just wonder in an era of peak TV how many people will watch two Trek-style shows a week. I've really enjoyed the show for the most part and working with directors who logged time on TNG has paid off in achieving a right feel but when the humor veers into absurdist from situational I think they run the risk of alienating people. The bit with the reprogrammed holodeck simulation in the last episode was intolerable.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm tempted to watch this because I hear Norm MacDonald is in it. Is it worth suffering through MacFarlane?

Norm's most recent appearance was the worst scene of the episode. It's a gross McFarlanian dick joke in an episode that otherwise tackles sensitive idpol issues in a surprisingly serious and well meaning way.

Also both of his appearances combined are a grand total of like 20 seconds of screen time. So if you're vehemently opposed enough to McFarlane that you can't suffer 4-6 dick n fart jokes over the course of an hour to watch a middling yet enjoyable Trek-like, I'd say skip it altogether.

I skipped straight to the third episode just because it was the most recent and I don't actually want to watch three hours of TV plus commercials just now. I found the story really heavy-handed and the ethical resolution lacking; honestly, Scrubs did a better job of this sort of thing when it did its episode on abortion. The humour felt really out of place, and relied entirely too much on pop culture references that make no sense when set in the future. Everything feels like a third-rate carbon copy of 90s Trek, but with the beat-you-over-the-head writing of 60s Trek.

So I'm kind of surprised to find that I don't completely hate it. The Orville's primary asset might actually be earnestness, which is not a thing I ever expected to see from Seth "never met a dick joke I didn't like" MacFarlane. Heavy-handed and simplistic as it might have been, the show nevertheless seemed to treat the central dilemma with the gravity it deserved (except maybe for the whole Rudolph thing, but I'd be willing to forgive that as an expedient way to get the character to change his mind on a dime in order to advance the plot). The interplay between him and his ex-wife first officer was surprisingly not awful; the initial characterization of "god my ex is such a bitch" seems to have given way to two people who can work together professionally and even be vaguely friendly while having that shared history. It's a level of maturity I honestly did not expect out of the writing.

It might be best for The Orville to stay away from the Very Special Episode template for a while until it finds its footing, and I think I'd like it to drop the dumb jokes and try to find its own character apart from Star Trek. Discovery still feels like the more interesting, better executed show. But The Orville is not as bad as I imagined it was.

The hilarious thing is that given the direction Star trek discovery seems to be heading this is the only star trek like show on at the moment.

...galaxy quest did all this better

JCHandsom

My Trek rankings are now TNG, DS9, TOS, Orville, Voyager and Enterprise.

iu

Hoping for a Normal MacDonald slime guy episode befoer it gets cancelled.

My Trek rankings are now TNG, DS9, TOS, Orville, Voyager and Enterprise.

I really wanted to like Voyager and hated that show. Too much Seven of 9 for me. Really loved Janeway, and Tuvok remains my favorite Vulcan.

Enterprise really started to grow on me. Really wish it wasn't a prequel show and just let it's wild nascent crew go off on their own adventures in parallel with TNG or something.

But Orville definitely fits right in. Like I said, my mind has made this part of Trekverse.

The hilarious thing is that given the direction Star trek discovery seems to be heading this is the only star trek like show on at the moment.

...galaxy quest did all this better
Assuming the "coming next on Star Trek Discovery" thing is a sign of how the show will progress, Discovery does look like it'll be "Star Treky" going forward.

The first two episodes just seem to be setup of the main character and what the main conflict will be for the overarching plot line.

Top Bottom