• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Pinewood

I think I like the AMG sport one the most, but the pics arent excactly comparable since they are under different angles. Just the ridges will probably be way more comfortable + that non-shiny leather/perforated leather. And Im a sucker for flat bottoms.I do agree it has a shitton of buttons.

Anion

Oddly enough I can't disagree lol.

I dunno if I mentioned this before but in March I spent about 2-3 weeks at an Infiniti dealer doing photography and I actually really disliked how the real Infiniti's have a hollow feel when you shut the hood, while the QX30 had a solid and satisfying thump.

That said though, I'm gonna pass on the QX30. One of the reasons why I like the CLA is it's looks(it doesn't look like your bog-standard Merc), it's price(used examples can be had for less than $24k), and yeah I don't want a crossover lol. As much as I want to keep two cars, it's gonna be impractical as hell so my Miata's gonna have to go unfortunately so I still need some semblance of fun in a car.
Do it! Join the force. The ones with the red brakes have the sport plus package. Meaning they have the red brakes, red belts, red vents and exterior strips...etc.
Performance improvements over the regular sport are the AMG Steering flat bottom wheel, AMG Steering column (which is a nice to use in twisty roads), AMG suspension, AMG shift software for the dual clutch...and AMG exhaust. And man, this car makes a lot of noise when it's cold and going slow. Regardless, I would prioritize the Sport plus package as it is a must if you wanna enjoy driving the car.

Fuel economy really depends on how you drive. It's supposed to be 26/37. I get 18 😂

I honestly don't understand why people think the AMG45 version is trash. The first 2014 models had issues with shifting and had shitty huge bezels screens - which I totally get. But if you sit in a 2015+ model, I can't see what the other complaints are. Especially the steering one, the AMG steering is wonderful. Enough stiffness with accuracy without being too heavy. Matt Farrah calls this car the Mercedes Evo in one of his review videos for the AMG 45

The car does have some issues, unlike any other Merc in the market - it does have road noise. I have gotten used to it, but the moment I sit in my parents CLS 550 or even the R class, you will realize how silent those cars are. It's not like loud, but it's not "Mercedes quiet". That being said, it still does have carpeted wheel hubs and some undercarriage coverings. Also the plastic pieces in the interior. I'm not talking about the physical buttons and console parts, I'm talking about the pieces that are located elsewhere but you can hear them creak as you are driving on bumpy roads. I anyways have the pano roof open, so I don't hear it much - but it's kinda odd. Never cared to figure out where the noise is though.

Definitely drive the sport plus version and make sure you are in S mode. E mode is way too grandma like. S mode is more like how a GTI dsg shifts. I installed a diverted valve (Gfb DV+) on my car and it shifts way too fast now in S mode at like 4-5x rpm...E mode is now pretty good too.

I actually really disliked how the real Infiniti's have a hollow feel when you shut the hood, while the QX30 had a solid and satisfying thump.
Haha that's definitely an MB thing infinity absorbed with the GLA/QX30 agreement

There is a guy on the forum selling his almost similarly spec-ed CLA 250 sports plus and he has some better pictures than I do http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/43...-cla250-4matic-sport-less-than-500-miles.html

matmanx1

Do it! Join the force.

Also the plastic pieces in the interior. I'm not talking about the physical buttons and console parts, I'm talking about the pieces that are located elsewhere but you can hear them creak as you are driving on bumpy roads. I anyways have the pano roof open, so I don't hear it much - but it's kinda odd. Never cared to figure out where the noise is though.

I've quoted this only partially so I can respond to it better. As to the first bit, I've always liked the CLA45 AMG car. Even the flawed first year one. To me it still had the Mercedes class but with a welcome brashness and youthfulness that I find missing in most of their other models.

Now as to the second thing, my Dad's 2012 328i does this also but my 2004 Lexus GX does not. Apples to oranges certainly but it's both impressive (that a 13+ year old Lexus still doesn't have any creaks or rattles) and depressing (that newer, more sophisticated luxury cars often have creaks and rattles when they really shouldn't).

Futaba

2018-Mercedes-S-Class-4.jpg
Oh wow how much is the cardboard foot mat optional extra?

(I kid, i kid)

In other news, I'm kinda in the mood to buy a DR30
Had been tempted by this, but I'm tight on space sadly. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/246810713
Really nice example of a midnight purple GT-R though!

kharma45

I don't mind the full digital dash of the F10, it looks nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp73YdhsPRI

Drive one and you'll see how boring it is, especially the CLA45. Understeering pig and it doesn't even sound that good except the crackling upshifts.

I'm not overly keen on the BMW digital dash. Graphics are nice but I don't see the point on the fixed plastic rings on the 5 and the 7 series. Makes it a lot less flexible. I really like how Audi's virtual cockpit is more scalable and customisable

I do quite like the Merc's double screens, but the UI just doesn't sit right. Ugly and getting dated already but far from bad that being said.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Oddly enough I can't disagree lol.

I dunno if I mentioned this before but in March I spent about 2-3 weeks at an Infiniti dealer doing photography and I actually really disliked how the real Infiniti's have a hollow feel when you shut the hood, while the QX30 had a solid and satisfying thump.

That said though, I'm gonna pass on the QX30. One of the reasons why I like the CLA is it's looks(it doesn't look like your bog-standard Merc), it's price(used examples can be had for less than $24k), and yeah I don't want a crossover lol. As much as I want to keep two cars, it's gonna be impractical as hell so my Miata's gonna have to go unfortunately so I still need some semblance of fun in a car.

Oh my bad, I thought you said GLA.

I don't like CLA's in base form, tbh. The only one I'd look at would be the 45AMG.

Nooo, Mazda's US warranty isn't transferable to Canada.

I want an ND Miata but I might move back north in 2-3 years, which would spoil my warranty fun...

matmanx1

I got behind a blacked out Audi RS7 yesterday on the way home from work. I think traffic must have been moving too slowly for him because he stomped on it and veered into the next lane and disappeared quickly up the road.

It was a very good looking car but I don't think it was $110,000 worth of good looking (or whatever Audi is asking for them these days)!

SliChillax

I do agree it has a shitton of buttons.
I don't have a problem with the buttons, I'd rather have more buttons than touch screens. The issue is the size of the buttons and how huge both sides are, it's unnecessary.

I'm not overly keen on the BMW digital dash. Graphics are nice but I don't see the point on the fixed plastic rings on the 5 and the 7 series. Makes it a lot less flexible. I really like how Audi's virtual cockpit is more scalable and customisable

I do quite like the Merc's double screens, but the UI just doesn't sit right. Ugly and getting dated already but far from bad that being said.

I agree about Audi, it's way more functional but some the plastic rings are there to give it that slight analogue touch to the display. It does limit it's functionality though true.

KRaZyAmmo

Doug Demuro made a good video on the Maserati Ghibli. I really dislike the Ghibli just due to the fact I see a lot of them. I also generally don't like the overall shape of the car. It's very meh and generic to me.
Video here

compared to the other cars above? The Duck Garden ones I have a hard time dealing with. But it's okay if RE Amemiya does it?

Some of those are pretty awful too. Jeez, you guys are a tough crowd sometimes :D

Doug Demuro made a good video on the Maserati Ghibli. I really dislike the Ghibli just due to the fact I see a lot of them. I also generally don't like the overall shape of the car. It's very meh and generic to me.
Video here

I had a grey one parked next to me on the ferry the other day. I looked at it and saw the badge and I was like "Damn, that's a Maserati? They sure look like generic sports cars these days. What happened to them?"

KRaZyAmmo

Some of those are pretty awful too. Jeez, you guys are a tough crowd sometimes :D

I had a grey one parked next to me on the ferry the other day. I looked at it and saw the badge and I was like "Damn, that's a Maserati? They sure look like generic sports cars these days. What happened to them?"

Depends on how the car is modified for me. Like time attack cars, some stance cars, vip, bosozoku, and even clean subtle ones.

The Maserati Gran Turismo still looks great to me. I vastly prefer that over the Ghibli.

Video here

My neighbor's friend bought one and it was delivered when he was out of town, so I had one next to my house for a week. I went on a few rides with my friend, but I have to agree with the video. The Ghibli is unimpressive and feels really dated. Ok for 30K but not $75K+

But it was funny saying "Hey honey, we have a Ghibli in our driveway again!"

Pinewood

Video here
Its a Ferrari engine though.

Been recently thinking how a 3200/4200 would be a cool car to own.

bigJP

Is your current car a lease or financed to purchase? Plenty of good cars out there for $400/month

financed. i know its not a smart move to sell now (8k resell value, 13k remaining to pay) but im tempted by newer cars. is my first car and would have leased if i knew better

SliChillax

It's a Ferrari engine in a piece of shit though. Maseratis are tasteless garbage for clueless people desperate for status.
Old Quattroporte and GranTurismo had Ferrari engines but I didn't know the new turbocharged V8s were from Ferrari. I don't think they are tbh

AlphaSnake

Video here

This is something we covered a number of times in the past thread. And Doug basically recycled his own article from Jalopnik. The Ghibli is a shit car.

Evo X

I think the one thing we can all agree on despite our tastes and differences is that the ghibli is a huge piece of shit. Lol

Because they're generally faster, bench seat + cornering at higher speed = disaster

Right, of course.

Question for you guys: which do you prefer

Honda Accord or Mazda 6?

I am mildly annoyed with my Honda's interior because the plasticy centre console is sooo annoying and cheap.

Then I look at the Mazda and it's sooo premium looking with the leather gear stick and coverable cup holders.

Also, where is its hand brake? Is it a button/switch?

Are those any good?

I still love my Honda's exterior.

v1lla21

Mazda 6 but I prefer the Mazda 3. I really like the interior in the car and it just looks real nice overall. Love my buddies Mazda 3s look.

The current gen Mazda6's are definitely much more premium than an Accord(except if it's an Accord in Touring trim).

I had a rental 6 a few months ago and it was perfect, my only issue with it was that it had an automatic and it was front wheel drive lol. Other than that, it feels a lot more upscale compared to the other cheaper brands out there. I wouldn't say it's as upscale as a BMW or any of those brands, but it's pretty damn close.

Also the driving dynamics are killer. It might be FWD, but it definitely handles better than an Accord and most brands... I'd actually say it drives about 75% like my Miata. The biggest difference is that if you push the Mazda6, it'll tell you no(due to FWD) whereas the Miata would do it and some more if you're not careful lol.

Do it! Join the force. The ones with the red brakes have the sport plus package. Meaning they have the red brakes, red belts, red vents and exterior strips...etc.

Working at that MB dealer before, I've actually driven a few Sports plus packages... they even had an Edition 1 that was all kinds of bonkers with yellow stripes and shit in the seats. It was your boy racer MB and I had an disgusting like to it lol.

I never had the chance to drive an AMG45 though... there wasn't really any interest to it back when I still worked there last year.

Tbh, I dunno if I can do it though... but mostly because I really want another stick. As mentioned numerous times, I don't get bothered driving 60 miles a day in stop-and-go traffic with a stick, and I really do it prefer it that way since it actually does keep me more engaged as I'm going through the motions.

Hell, I've taken a different route to my job since Monday that has a few twisties on the way... it adds like at least 10 mins of travel time, but I'm usually awake when I get to the office now haha.

Duck Gardens NC Roadster RHT NightingGale

Gaudy but tbh, this is what I wish the Fiata looked like instead lol.

Oh my bad, I thought you said GLA.

I don't like CLA's in base form, tbh. The only one I'd look at would be the 45AMG.

Yeah, I'd rather drive a fully loaded Civic/Mazda3 than a base CLA... it'd pretty much cost the same too lol.

GHG

Gold Member
Their entire lineup is shit, not just the Ghibli.

I actually quite like the GT and think the Quattroporte GTS has a place in this world. You can pick up a QP GTS at bargain bin prices (relatively speaking) due to depreciation and have a great time with a Ferrari v8 in comfort. I have a thing for cars that can do Jekyll and Hyde well and the QP GTS is one of those cars by all accounts. Plus, they sound the business. If you buy a Maserati new though... I don't know what to say.

Oh and speaking of all the talk of screens Vs dials/knobs/buttons on cars. While it can be argued that it looks cleaner without buttons etc, good luck owning some of these newer cars out of warranty when you are fully dependant on a touch screen to get even some of the basic functionalities like AC working.

I couldn't imagine being in some of the temperatures that we suffer here in Dubai and not being able to set the AC accordingly if the screen should ever decide it wants to stop being responsive. The new panamera looks like it will be a nightmare later down the line.

AlphaSnake

Its a Ferrari engine though.

It's a Ferrari engine in a piece of shit though. Maseratis are tasteless garbage for clueless people desperate for status.

It's not a true Ferrari engine. It's spec'd by them, as they claim (which doesn't mean much, really).

But the block and components are from Chrysler's plants in Michigan and Indiana. Then shipped to Modena to be assembled and installed. Is the motor actually being built and sourced with true Ferrari hardware? Nope. They probably had some Ferrari engineer do some CAD work for a generic 3.0L, and another engineer who worked on parameters to make it sound good.

Imo, at the end of the day, no matter how much PR hyperbole Maserati spins at it, the motor is sourced and cast from Chrysler plants. Therefore, it's more Chrysler than Ferrari.

GHG

Gold Member
It's not a true Ferrari engine. It's spec'd by them, as they claim (which doesn't mean much, really).

But the block and components are from Chrysler's plants in Michigan and Indiana. Then shipped to Modena to be assembled and installed. Is the motor actually being built and sourced with true Ferrari hardware? Nope. They probably had some Ferrari engineer do some CAD work for a generic 3.0L, and another engineer who worked on parameters to make it sound good.

Imo, at the end of the day, no matter how much PR hyperbole Maserati spins at it, the motor is sourced and cast from Chrysler plants. Therefore, it's more Chrysler than Ferrari.

This is true for the v6 power plants across the Maserati range but the V8 twin turbos are Ferrari engines.

Pinewood

Isnt it basically a copy of a Ferrari block cast by Chrysler?

Wouldnt mind a new Crossfire with that engine

Top Bottom