• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more

DSc

Hey guys, sorry for the self-promotion but thought this was worthy of being posted. We had an anonymous tip off about details discussed at Sony's internal annual briefing and there's some good stuff in there! :D

To sum it up:

• LittleBigPlanet PSP has been in development for 4 months
  • MotorStorm is coming to PSP
  • Price cuts coming in March
  • PS3 outperforming 360 in PAL territories
  • PSN getting huge investment
  • Uncharted 2 coming - Aztec location?
  • God of War 3 looking amazing

http://www.dpadmagazine.com/2008/11/22/huge-sony-info-blowout/

In attendance at the Sony Computer Entertainment Staff Annual Briefing held yesterday in London, an anonymous source going by the alias of ‘Legends’ has just tipped us off on all manner of huge PlayStation news. We must make it clear that D+PAD weren’t in attendance and that we have no reason to doubt the validity of Legends’ claims, but treat this as rumour until confirmed.

* Price cuts coming in March, PS3 performing better in Europe than 360

Our source tells us that SCEE President David Reeves took to the stage to discuss the current economic climate and how it shouldn’t affect PlayStation business, though was quick to mention that SCEE will be getting more competitive on price from March 2009 onwards. Our guess is that we’ll be seeing price cuts to PS3 around Easter to tie in with the release of Killzone 2…

Reeves then went on to say that the PS3 has a bigger install base than the 360 in PAL territories, and that the install base gap will significantly increase in 2009. Apparently SCEE is the success story of the SCE divisions, generating more profit than SCEA and SCEJ. 2008 sees it ‘in the black’ in profit our inside man revealed. Apparently there are more technological innovations to come for both PS3 and PSP, but details weren’t disclosed.

* Growth of PSN

PSN will be getting much more investment in the future, and having generated £150m in 2008, it’s considered a huge success for Sony. Sony Studio titles will also begin their life with a Blu-ray release and the franchises will be expanded with online content.

* LittleBigPlanet & MotorStorm coming to PSP

Our source also confirmed that LittleBigPlanet PSP is definitely in development and that Media Molecule have been working on it for four months. Footage was shown to attendees, though Alex Evans allegedly wasn’t prepared to show it himself because it was such an early build. “It looked good, obviously not PS3 good, but missing the level of detail that you get in a final release” says Legends.

MotorStorm PSP is on the way and ‘target footage’ was shown. No more details on that one.

* Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 & God of War 3 info

A 30 second clip of in-game footage of Uncharted 2 was shown displaying Drake being shot at, followed by an explosion. No full title or location was revealed though our source tells us that he did spot a wall with a line of 4 or 5 Aztec masks. Don’t expect a huge graphical leap though - “Looks the same as Uncharted 1, no bad thing”, says our source.

The intro to Killzone 2 was also shown off which “showed the character from the original trailer and a Helghan leader”. “Paints a picture of the world a bit more,” says Legends.

Finally our source revealed that God of War 3 was “masterfully shown at the end”, and that it looked so good our source wasn’t clear whether it was CGI or not!

The trailer showed Kratos wielding his swords and fighting hoards of skeletons and Cyclops’s, before catching a ride on an eagle, and killing it when he got dropped off. The final scene showed Kratos looking up to a long dark, deep cavern, presumed to be Mount Olympus.

“Some of it looked like it could be in-game action because of the camera angles, but it all looked so good that it couldn’t be. CGI or not, everyone was pumped up by this. The anticipation is growing. God of War 3 could be amazing.”

So there you have it. Technological innovations inbound, PS3 price cut early next year, LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm coming to PSP, Uncharted 2 and an “amazing” looking God of War 3. What more could you want?

Doesn't that go against what Microsoft just said? The PAL thing, i mean.

edit. nevermind entirely.

Not sure if a March price cut would be soon enough... guess we'll have to wait and see.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wait...

UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif

RAWR.
angry.gif

hc2

Sounds like a typical corporate "keep up the morale" staff meeting. I'm giving this a >50% chance of being correct.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
_leech_ said:
Not really sure how Motorstorm would work on the PSP...
It's not like there weren't any fun offroad games during the PS2/Dreamcast era.

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if Uncharted 2 had Metroid Prime style puzzles?

Doesn't sound very reliable. It looks like a compilation of rumours that have been floating around now for quite some time (particularly LBP PSP and Aztec Uncharted 2).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also, I think most people assumed they'd be doing price cuts in Feb/March for Killzone 2's release...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It all sounds pretty plausible to me, whether or not it's actually reliable. I hope we get to see something from Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 soon.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
golem said:
pretty sure LBP PSP hasnt even reached the planning stages and this is flat out wrong.
That's not true at all actually. Though it's still extremely early for sure.

But I thought LBP was impossible without an HDD and Blu Ray? :p

On a serious note though, Motorstorm as it exists now is impossible on PSP, there would have be to major downgrades, moreso than the ones in the now-canceled GT portable.

Cesar

Banned
"Don’t expect a huge graphical leap though - “Looks the same as Uncharted 1, no bad thing”, says our source."

Although Uncharted still looks good, I would be a bit dissapointed if Uncharted 2 looks just like the original but in a different location.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cesar said:
"Don’t expect a huge graphical leap though - “Looks the same as Uncharted 1, no bad thing”, says our source."

Although Uncharted still looks good, I would be a bit dissapointed if Uncharted 2 looks just like the original but in a different location.

Really, all they need to do is lock down vsync to make me happy.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
CurseoftheGods said:
Sure, if you want a neutered version of the PS3 game.
Come on, that's like saying you won't play NSMB because it's a neutered version of Galaxy.

Uncharted 2?!?!?!? gimme a sec while I re-read that line 100x.
Yep it says Uncharted 2! Little surprised it'll look the same but honestly it is right behind KZ2 and Gears 2 for best looking game this gen. #3 and a year old is impressive.

Fizzle

How can they be making both Rag Doll Kung Fu for PSN and LittleBigPlanet for PSP?!

Media Molecule sure do boggle the mind!!

Elios83

This has some credibility, the event they're talking about is real.
It was also cited as a reason for not being able to solve immediatly the e-mails hiccup with Home invitations on the official message board.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Elios83 said:
This has some credibility, the event they're talking about is real.
It was also cited as a reason for not being able to solve immediatly the e-mails hiccup with Home invitations on the official message board.

It was?

Haunted

McBacon said:
I was just watching a bit of The Mummy and thought a Uncharted 2 was necessary
I tried watching Mummy 3 to get myself in the mood for some Tomb Raider Underworld but the movie was so bad I won't even touch TRU now.

Elios83

Nafai1123 said:
If the price cut is going to coincide with KZ2 being release, then wouldn't it be in Feb and not March?

March makes more sense because it is at the end of their fiscal year so it won't impact the results for this year a lot.
Moreover March is also about Resident Evil 5 (and FFXIII demo in Japan), so the timing would be really good on a worldwide level.

Top Bottom