• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Any recommendations on new TVs, folks? Around $1500, for our loungeroom so not really for gaming but obvs the better quality in general, the better. Also, has to be smart, with all the catch-up stuff and Netflix.

Cerity

Rather than putting so much emphasis on the 'smart' part of a tv, I'd look into the little android boxes you can get.

The xiaomi mi box is great for netflix and other catchup apps, has a great remote too. Only downside is that it's not great for 4k even though it is advertised as such. You can also look into the other S905x based boxes (mecool, odroid and other weird sounding brands) and install libreelec on them to get a much more capable playback device.

Both options will be much better than the hardware/software that comes with a smart tv.

Any recommendations on new TVs, folks? Around $1500, for our loungeroom so not really for gaming but obvs the better quality in general, the better. Also, has to be smart, with all the catch-up stuff and Netflix.
You don't have an old PlayStation you could use for the catch-up stuff, Netflix, Youtube, Blu-Ray playback, etc.? I know it's an odd question, but this is GAF :)

Well, it's probably for the best that at least one thing in the house is smart.

hqdefault.jpg

How the fuck does medicare work

"You have not answered enough questions correctly"

Does this mean I have to stand in line at centrelink for 5 hours or some bullshit now since apparently the information medicare has on file is incorrect and I can't tell what it is so I can't link it to mygov?

Quasar

Does this mean I have to stand in line at centrelink for 5 hours or some bullshit now since apparently the information medicare has on file is incorrect and I can't tell what it is so I can't link it to mygov?

I'm not sure. Surely you can log into the medicare site and update data? I've only ever logged in once just to link a bank account so its all automated.

I'm not sure. Surely you can log into the medicare site and update data? I've only ever logged in once just to link a bank account so its all automated.

I eventually figured it out, but no, I didn't have a medicare online account to begin with so the site asked me to match what they had on file. Turns out they had outdated records for my address but I had to trial and error over a period of 20 minutes.

5 years since I tried to link my Medicare account on MyGov. Still not fixed. Glad to hear they are outsourcing Centrelink call centre! Sure to work out great for everyone who isn't Turnbull's mate who runs a shitty company!

Shaneus

You don't have an old PlayStation you could use for the catch-up stuff, Netflix, Youtube, Blu-Ray playback, etc.? I know it's an odd question, but this is GAF :)
Not really an option, we're getting a new TV so it can be wall mounted. The fewer devices to plug into the thing, the better.

And besides, we already have a Fetch that does that, but by the time the wall mounting happens, there won't be anywhere to sit it :)

Right now I think the Sony X85E/X8500E is in the lead at around $1800, at least for the living room. The wife is hesitant to go the Hisense 55N7 or whatever given the brand, I think that might be the next TV for the PS4 in the study.

Ignignort

5 years since I tried to link my Medicare account on MyGov. Still not fixed. Glad to hear they are outsourcing Centrelink call centre! Sure to work out great for everyone who isn't Turnbull's mate who runs a shitty company!

Do a search for the myGov helpdesk, you’ll get through to someone quickly. Explain you want to link your Medicare account and need a linking code, they’ll ask some basic ID questions and then you will get a linking code to enter on myGov.
I don’t work for these guys but I had the same issue and couldn’t verify my details.

Anyone else in rural NSW run out of water yet? Gone 4 years without running out and we're down to about 5% (5000L), the last time was just before the Blue Mountains went up in smoke and we had to evacuate, just hope the Army don't go off testing explosives in a drought/heatwave again.... 4 week wait for water cartage. 3 kids to keep clean and hydrated and a newly separated friend staying whilst he works his shit out, a friend I might add who has no concept of tank water and thinks the shower is a magic water creating device.... oh well, when the water finally runs out it might encourage him to sort his shit out and get an apartment.

Sorry just need to vent.... How's everyone else's day?

Quasar

ouch. and here I've been complaining about so little rain my lawn has died off and its just all concrete like bare ground thats all cracked. I doubts its repairable without expensive professional landscaping.

ouch. and here I've been complaining about so little rain my lawn has died off and its just all concrete like bare ground thats all cracked. I doubts its repairable without expensive professional landscaping.

Think it depends what type of grass it was, some of the hardy species will come right back as soon as it rains. My lawn is fine because we get a lot of morning dew here in the mountains, just no bloody rain. I'm torn to be honest, if it rains my internet dies due to Telstra's shitty non-waterproofed pit connections. So, personal hygiene or internet.... I can't decide!!!

Not really an option, we're getting a new TV so it can be wall mounted. The fewer devices to plug into the thing, the better.

And besides, we already have a Fetch that does that, but by the time the wall mounting happens, there won't be anywhere to sit it :)

Right now I think the Sony X85E/X8500E is in the lead at around $1800, at least for the living room. The wife is hesitant to go the Hisense 55N7 or whatever given the brand, I think that might be the next TV for the PS4 in the study.

I have an Sony X800D (last years model) and I would struggle to go back from a "Smart" TV. Netflix button, native apps, pretty reliable voice recognition through the remote. One of my favourite things is to get a group of friends around, open up Youtube on the TV, and everyone queues up songs using their phones while we drink. It's really had a huge impact on our entertainment consumption.

Just aggressively stalk Ozbargain for a good deal.

Does anyone here smoke? When you buy cigarettes/tobacco from a supermarket, does the cashier hand over the product before they receive the money?

I ask because a small part of my job is selling these. The policy I am required to follow is to hold onto it, or for it to be in a bag they can't just grab, or for it to be put aside. But today a customer ordered me to hand it over before it was paid for and when I said that I'm not allowed to, she snatched it from me and told me that I'm the only person who doesn't hand it over and that it's very rude of me. I know what the policy where I work is and that the people I work with also follow the policy, but is it a common policy for cigarettes?

Do a search for the myGov helpdesk, you’ll get through to someone quickly. Explain you want to link your Medicare account and need a linking code, they’ll ask some basic ID questions and then you will get a linking code to enter on myGov.
I don’t work for these guys but I had the same issue and couldn’t verify my details.
Thanks I'll give them another try when I get a chance

Does anyone here smoke? When you buy cigarettes/tobacco from a supermarket, does the cashier hand over the product before they receive the money?

I ask because a small part of my job is selling these. The policy I am required to follow is to hold onto it, or for it to be in a bag they can't just grab, or for it to be put aside. But today a customer ordered me to hand it over before it was paid for and when I said that I'm not allowed to, she snatched it from me and told me that I'm the only person who doesn't hand it over and that it's very rude of me. I know what the policy where I work is and that the people I work with also follow the policy, but is it a common policy for cigarettes?

Sounds like they're a cranky addict.

Depends on what kind of store. If it was a 7/11 I'd expect payment first since you're passing them over a barrier you can't get passed if they do a runner.

Thanks I'll give them another try when I get a chance

Sounds like they're a cranky addict.

Depends on what kind of store. If it was a 7/11 I'd expect payment first since you're passing them over a barrier you can't get passed if they do a runner.
It's one of those kinda boxed in affairs where I would need to head in the opposite direction to get out and wouldn't catch anyone.

PS thieves please don't read this.

legend166

Okay, no offence to Gaz, but we all agree Golf Story is the best Aussie game ever right?

I'm right in the middle of one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a video game. It's just too good.

legend166

Channel Ten without the Simpsons? Never thought this day would come.

They play too many of the crappy seasons. I hope whoever gets the rights just plays seasons 1-9 on a loop.

I think this is just Rupert throwing his toys out of the cot after not getting to buy Channel 10.

They play too many of the crappy seasons. I hope whoever gets the rights just plays seasons 1-9 on a loop.

I think this is just Rupert throwing his toys out of the cot after not getting to buy Channel 10.
It was the same recently with the Formula 1 coverage (no more F1 GPs on free-to-air TV, apart from the Australian GP). I assume they're trying to make 10 a poison pill for CBS.

So I'm looking into getting aircon asap before the heat truly sets in. Probably split system.

Are there any brands to dodge?

I'd avoid Carrier since two separate family members had them for years and no end of trouble.

I've had good experiences with Mitsubishi, Fujitsu General and Daikin.
A good installer is also important.

Shaneus

I have an Sony X800D (last years model) and I would struggle to go back from a "Smart" TV. Netflix button, native apps, pretty reliable voice recognition through the remote. One of my favourite things is to get a group of friends around, open up Youtube on the TV, and everyone queues up songs using their phones while we drink. It's really had a huge impact on our entertainment consumption.

Just aggressively stalk Ozbargain for a good deal.
Quality wise in general, would you say it's pretty good? It's basically the one I'm looking at getting.

Gazunta

Okay, no offence to Gaz, but we all agree Golf Story is the best Aussie game ever right?

I'm right in the middle of one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a video game. It's just too good.

It's one of the games I am most looking forward to getting a Switch for. Mario Golf GBC was like black tar heroin in my veins, can't wait to get stuck into this!

In other news, NO MORE SIMPSONS ON CHANNEL 10 GOD DAMN IT THIS COUNTRY'S STUFFED

Oh yeah I'll need a professional installer. How does that work? Should I be looking for an installer first, or for the product first?

Either or. Get some quotes that include a split system and note which brand, they might be getting wholesale price for the unit.

Remember, need electrician AND plumber! Ideally the contractor can do both rather than having to involve 2 separate trades.
Also make sure your electrical switchboard can take the additional amps.

Quasar

I'd avoid Carrier since two separate family members had them for years and no end of trouble.

I've had good experiences with Mitsubishi, Fujitsu General and Daikin.
A good installer is also important.

Intetesting. My Carrier has been going for years with no trouble. Daikin seems to be the popular brand though.

Jintor

golf story is cute and definitely the most aussie game i've played in... basically forever, but it's a palette cleanser game for me i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom