• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Really Dac?! REALLY?! It's like that now?! You're so removed from Scribblenauts Remix in an upcoming patch. :p

Universal app would go over 20mb limit currently.

NOOOOOO!!!

But, yeah, that definitely makes sense. I guess I'll just have to double-dip. :p

Edit: Ok, this game is awesome.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this guy got 30 seconds on Ch20 on Run Roo Run (iPhone) and I'm at 46 seconds. Dude is either cheating or finding some weird shortcuts

I'll report back in a few hours, I'm at work, and my iPad is at home.

So I tried the DJ Pauly D game, wow, it's horrible. I am truly confused why this game would get rated so high. For one, it doesn't even have any music, which for a game with DJ in the title, is pretty pathetic. It's just a really shitty runner that is super repetitive.

wondermega

titlescreen.png

gh2.png

gh23.png

gh22.png

some early WIP shots of our new title for iOS and XBLIG. Hoping to wrap-up by April/PAX.

vesp

Hero Academy is so awesome but lord does it need ELO. I'm like 30-4 ( 3 losses to Mr Foxdie who is awesome) and while I don't think I'm terribly good I do think crushing first time players is going to get boring

So I tried the DJ Pauly D game, wow, it's horrible. I am truly confused why this game would get rated so high. For one, it doesn't even have any music, which for a game with DJ in the title, is pretty pathetic. It's just a really shitty runner that is super repetitive.

It's probably rated highly because of all the fans of the show blindly rating it.

HBP

Really Dac?! REALLY?! It's like that now?! You're so removed from Scribblenauts Remix in an upcoming patch. :p

Universal app would go over 20mb limit currently.

Plenty of other apps get past that by downloading the remainder when you launch the app the first time, did you guys consider that?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this guy got 30 seconds on Ch20 on Run Roo Run (iPhone) and I'm at 46 seconds. Dude is either cheating or finding some weird shortcuts

I'm guessing I should keep progressing beyond Ch. 3.

Also, if you haven't gotten Puzzlejuice. Run and grab it. It is at $.99, and is as addictive as Dungeon Raid. I may get rid of every game on my iPhone but Puzzlejuice, Dungeon Raid, and Trainyard at this point. All I play.

Alright, I may keep a few others as well

I'd think he's cheating

And that reminds me that I need to start trying to regain #1 again

nyong

Banned
I can't believe how much time I've been sinking into my iPad. It's nearly replaced console gaming for me. Almost feels like a combined reboot of the 8 and 16 bit eras. I'm not a fan of virtual controls, but games that play into the device's strengths are fantastic (i.e. Jetpack).

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
What are the limitations with Dungeon Raid Lite? It seems i can keep on playing forever. Until I die, that is.

Also, anyone tried Crimson Gem Saga? People seem to be praising it, but complaining about bad controls at the same time. Looks interesting, but it's expensive.

I am confused with this app so I haven't tried it out yet. What was the whole hoopla about needing coins to play rounds?

It's a lil sketchy / strange but it basically boils down to this: every time you play a round or bring more than one "power" into a match you spend a coin. You earn a coin every ten minutes OR... you can buy them. I've been playing the game a LOT and have come nowhere close to needing more coins than I'm given. Don't let all the "hoopla" get in the way of trying it out. It's a very fun game.

Also, anyone tried Crimson Gem Saga? People seem to be praising it, but complaining about bad controls at the same time. Looks interesting, but it's expensive.
I tried Crimson Gem Saga, but gave up when I couldn't figure out how to make the menus do what I wanted them to do.

Bgamer90

Banned
That looks really annoying. Having to place blocks and form words at the same time? I'd rather just play SpellTower and form words.

It's fun. It can definitely get hectic but it isn't annoying. The game's music and overall presentation makes the game more calm.

Also, wow, Puzzlejuice is only $0.99 now? I got it for $3.00 a few hours after it came out :(

Oh well... it's a great game.

Jonnyram

I love Spelltower but just downloaded Puzzlejuice because that looks awesome also.
iOS is definitely the OS of choice for puzzle games.

It's one of the best RPGs on ios.

The menu controls are spotty and you definitely need to "learn" them, but once you do it's a really enjoyable game. It was very much worth putting up with the menu navigation.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Thanks for the input regarding Crimson Gem Saga! Might give it a go later on...

It's one of the best RPGs on ios.

The menu controls are spotty and you definitely need to "learn" them, but once you do it's a really enjoyable game. It was very much worth putting up with the menu navigation.

Good to know. I've had my eye on it for a long time but the negative comments have made me hold off on it.

wondermega

Is this just as hard as Contra games in general?

hard to say yet :) This is obviously an homage, but the days of 1-hit kills are definitely not welcome in the iOS era. You can't tell from these screenshots, but the control mechanic will be different than what has been done before. My whole purpose for trying to create a game like this is to make a game that controls properly on a touchscreen without frustrating the player (I can't stand virtual d-pads!) We've got a nice solution working, still WIP like I said but it definitely feels better than anything I've seen before, but I'll leave that up to everyone else to decide after it releases.

hard to say yet :) This is obviously an homage, but the days of 1-hit kills are definitely not welcome in the iOS era. You can't tell from these screenshots, but the control mechanic will be different than what has been done before. My whole purpose for trying to create a game like this is to make a game that controls properly on a touchscreen without frustrating the player (I can't stand virtual d-pads!) We've got a nice solution working, still WIP like I said but it definitely feels better than anything I've seen before, but I'll leave that up to everyone else to decide after it releases.

Any chance of it being a universal app and including iCade support?

wondermega

Any chance of it being a universal app and including iCade support?

the way the shooting will function, I don't think iCade will be a good idea; we'll probably try it out and see if it makes sense as we evolve the controls and design gameplay situation around how they work, so not out of the question. Universal, we will see! I have never done that before, so it will require some research as well.

dream

Mole Kart is free! Time to relive my fond memories of Mario Kart 64.

edit: OH GOD IT'S SO BAD DON'T DOWNLOAD IT

Bgamer90

Banned
Drinkin' that Puzzlejuice

AjlNQDxCMAAL3Ez.jpg

Could have had much more. Wasn't looking at the blocks; was too busy spelling words. Lost the game with a whole lot of space left.

Ranger X

Ok because if that's hard as a Contra you lose a sale from me.
As for touch controls... I hope you already played Mage Gauntlet? That's how all games should controls instead of virtual d-pads and joysticks imo.

wondermega

Ok because if that's hard as a Contra you lose a sale from me.
As for touch controls... I hope you already played Mage Gauntlet? That's how all games should controls instead of virtual d-pads and joysticks imo.

I will checkout mage gauntlet, been meaning to for a while

as for difficulty, rule #1 of iPhone development = every game must be approachable to casual players. At the same time, it should be challenging! This game will certainly not be simple, but you have plenty of firepower that should make the odds fair enough :) There's more to it than that of course, but that is all i will say for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom