• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers 4 title is a spoiler for Infinity War, the phases concept might be ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Two articles from the AV Club

Comic book universes tend to go through massive reboots every few years, literally wiping out all of reality in favor of one that, say, erases post-WWII storylines that no longer make any sense, introduces a fascist Captain America, or makes it so Batman has somehow had four different sidekicks in about as many years, but so far only the X-Men movies have tried to overtly alter the continuity like that without completely abandoning what came before. After Avengers: Infinity War and its untitled sequel, though, the Marvel Cinematic Universe might give the whole reboot thing a try.

Speaking with Collider, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige talked a little bit about the future of the MCU, and for the first time in a while, it sounds like the studio doesn’t have a whole lot of concrete plans. Feige says that Infinity War has “a sense of a climax if not a conclusion” to the many stories the MCU has been telling, and he thinks that whatever comes after Avengers 4—the aforementioned untitled sequel—will be “very different.” Up until now, the MCU has been divided into numbered “Phases,” but Feige isn’t sure if there will be a Phase 4 after Avengers 4. In fact, he thinks “it might be a new thing.”

http://www.avclub.com/article/marvel-studios-might-do-new-thing-after-avengers-4-254158

Looks like it’ll be awhile before we learn the actual name of the fourth installment of the Avengers movies. Yesterday, we reported on how Marvel might be looking to shake up its cinematic universe following the events of the next two films of its tentpole franchise, with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige discussing how whatever comes after Avengers 4 will be “very different”—studio speak for “we’ve got movie stars whose contracts will be finished.” And now, in a new interview with Cinema Blend, Feige confirms something that has been suspected for a while—namely, the reason the next film after Avengers: Infinity War doesn’t have an official title yet is because the one Marvel’s got is a massive spoiler.

The idea that the fourth film may include some surprising twists first took shape back when we learned the next two Avengers films were no longer titled Infinity War Part I and Part II. So, when asked point blank if the reason Avengers 4 still doesn’t have a title is because its actual title constitutes a spoiler for the events of Avengers: Infinity War, Feige replied, “Yeah, for sure.” This suggests that, even if the Thanos storyline that’s been teased since the ending of the very first Avengers film back in 2012 is still spread across two films, whatever happens in the first will create some significant narrative changes in the second.

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-good-reason-why-avengers-4-doesnt-have-titl-254180

I wonder, honestly, what would constitute a spoiler in a title.

Avengers: Do you Remember how Captain America died in the last Movie? Sucked right? He may be back in this one. Probably will be.

I wouldn't mind more Civil War and Thor Ragnarok type cross overs between characters. Not necessarily Avengers movies or even including all of them, but stories primarily focusing on one characters story and including the others in a natural way. Now that their backstories are all established, we don't need the rigid "Only so and so's characters and rogues appear in his movie". They've done it a bit with cameos, but the 2 I mentioned are the first real cross overs

Slayven

It's gonna be titled The End.

128417-18641-110006-1-marvel-the-end.jpg

I wonder if they're easing up on the planning and phases to give individual films and directors/writers more freedom and less pressure to work in the larger plans/connections

ZeoVGM

Banned
New Avengers would likely be the first one after the two Infinity War movies, guys.

The second part will still feature the main cast.

Also, they're not rebooting. I'm not sure why AV Club threw in that baseless speculation.

They'll probably have the title of the 4th one be the end credit stinger

Also it's totally Avengers: Pepper Potts Died Offscreen

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
My unlikely speculation is that its a heavily-altered version of Secret Wars with Thanos in the role of The Beyonder.

Corpsepyre

Banned
FUck the phases, jsut give us good standalone films. I want a Vision film based on the Tom King comic as well as Jeff Lemire's Moon Knight.

mjc

They'll probably contract out Evans, Hemsworth, and the like for cameo roles in future films instead of outright giving them sequels too I'd bet. (With a foot in the door to do a sequel or two down the road if they want)

I mean, they've said they have films sketched out through like 2027.

And the idea that the Avengers 4 title won't be announced until after Avengers 3 hits seems sort of ludicrous to me, honestly. I don't think that'll be the case at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom