• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

SliChillax

New F90 M5 pics leaked, looks great to me. Love those seats
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
New F90 M5 pics leaked, looks great to me. Love those seats

It looks...90% the same as the F10? More like a facelift than a new car.

I'm pretty sure I even prefer the overall look of the F10 more than this F90/G30. I hate how the headlights touch the grilles now. Looks awful

golem

I'm pretty sure I even prefer the overall look of the F10 more than this F90/G30. I hate how the headlights touch the grilles now. Looks awful

Yeah the design looks just about the same to me. The more pronounced grill and lights remind me more of a M 760i also.

lord pie

Maybe lease an i3 till the i-pace or some other alternative is out?

Sorry I was just having a bit of a rant about the state of electric cars.

I'm looking at what will be available in the next ~ 18 months and I've been severely disappointed. The model S has been out for over *5 years* now and there still isn't any significant competition in the premium electric sector - with the one exception of the ipace (which looks damned near perfect, yet likely won't be an option for me 😟).

It's so odd. I'd have thought the luxury brands would have been falling over themselves to take advantage of electric's awesome performance, responsiveness, quietness and (especially) space saving. Yet it's almost exclusively economy cars that we're seeing, all trying to sell themselves on their low operating cost - which given the current high development and production cost for batteries and rock bottom petrol prices I wouldn't have expected.

I don't know about other people, but if I end up deciding to spend $60k+ on a new car, fuel/electricity costs won't be an especially big factor in what I choose.

Ash_69

Has anybody ever used car wow? On the cusp of buying a merc 250d amg line premium. I've waited a year to see how much they depreciate to see if I could get a steal but they seem to hold their value beyond belief. Car wow has offered a new car at the SAME PRICE as a 2016 with 15k on the clock. 16% saving off rrp. Crazy. Anyone think that sounds fishy? It's with an official Mercedes garage.

matmanx1

Sorry I was just having a bit of a rant about the state of electric cars.

I'm looking at what will be available in the next ~ 18 months and I've been severely disappointed. The model S has been out for over *5 years* now and there still isn't any significant competition in the premium electric sector - with the one exception of the ipace (which looks damned near perfect, yet likely won't be an option for me 😟).

It's so odd. I'd have thought the luxury brands would have been falling over themselves to take advantage of electric's awesome performance, responsiveness, quietness and (especially) space saving. Yet it's almost exclusively economy cars that we're seeing, all trying to sell themselves on their low operating cost - which given the current high development and production cost for batteries and rock bottom petrol prices I wouldn't have expected.

I don't know about other people, but if I end up deciding to spend $60k+ on a new car, fuel/electricity costs won't be an especially big factor in what I choose.

We're still a couple of years out from significant competition for the Model S. I know the Porsche Mission E is due in 2020 and I believe several other companies have premium offerings due around that time also.

Electric is coming and it will be strong but we've still got a ways to go yet before their are a couple of decent offerings in all of the normal market segments.

Any mk7 GTI experts in here?

Got a couple of questions for y'all.

1 - Is there a visual tell on the car that says it's the performance package?

2 - How does their trim hierarchy work? Is it S>SE>Autobahn?

I was in Austin this past weekend and I was in a previous gen Mazda3 with the 2.5L trying to keep up with one in the twisties... and I was getting smoked in the straights(I also had 4 other people in the car with me lol) but I was fast enough to keep up on the twisties.

And I'm not gonna lie, after that stint... I kinda want one now. I ragged on it before after a lukewarm test drive at my old job, but I think I really need to give it a proper TD to really understand it.

ameratsu

I was in Austin this past weekend and I was in a previous gen Mazda3 with the 2.5L trying to keep up with one in the twisties... and I was getting smoked in the straights(I also had 4 other people in the car with me lol) but I was fast enough to keep up on the twisties.

And I'm not gonna lie, after that stint... I kinda want one now. I ragged on it before after a lukewarm test drive at my old job, but I think I really need to give it a proper TD to really understand it.

1 - front and rear GTI badges will be red instead of silver (like this), the front brake calipers are larger and have GTI printed on them, front and rear brake rotors are vented (rear discs on non-pp are solid).

2 - not sure as available trims are different in Canada, but that sounds correct.

I was thinking the same thing.
I'd be hard-pressed to tell the two apart on the road.

sfedai0

Banned
Thoughts on the 5th gen Prelude? Im still looking for my AP2 S2k but was looking at Honda golden era lineup and realized I never considered the Prelude.

Laws00

Went to get my oil change. While I was there I walked around the show case they had a Type R and SI

Talking to the guy that sold my Civic he said they're only getting 2 Si and 2 Type Rs. If they want more they have to sell all 2 models of their cars to get more. There are 9 people already in line reserved.

I didn't like that for the Type R they added like 11k worth of dealership crap on the damn car an illumination package

Si
IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

Type R

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

HKYH3541_1.jpg

Makki

Type R is niche market in the US which only will sell to enthusiasts,daddy money or youtube fame for the first year. Hopefully they make em for 2-3 years so it gets hit with a good discount since unlike the RS or R, once the hype dies there aint AWD to sell it to the northerners.

AlphaSnake

Helped a friend drop off his Alfa Romeo 4C at the Italian Concorso for Monterey Car Week yesterday. Got to walk around before the craziness started.

Never seen a Renault Clio V6 in person before and the Lamborghini Miura is still the most beautiful car ever.

So the owner of that Ferrari P3/4 found and replied to the photo on my Instagram. Turns out, it's a replica! But an all Ferrari-sourced one.

I asked about the specs and running gear. Check out his response: https://www.instagram.com/locking_diff/

Sorry for forcing you to the link, I don't think there's a way to embed IG posts and quotes on GAF.

matmanx1

Went to get my oil change. While I was there I walked around the show case they had a Type R and SI

Talking to the guy that sold my Civic he said they're only getting 2 Si and 2 Type Rs. If they want more they have to sell all 2 models of their cars to get more. There are 9 people already in line reserved.

I didn't like that for the Type R they added like 11k worth of dealership crap on the damn car an illumination package

Black really is the best color for the Type R. It helps hide the plastic body kit that much better. For the right price I wouldn't kick one out of my garage.

Yeah, black on black is definitely the right color for the CTR. I've said it before and I'll say it again, artificial scarcity is not the way to go with these. It's a pretty damn good car on its own merits, ignoring the styling (which does absolutely nothing for me because I'm not a kid looking for attention any more.)

1 - front and rear GTI badges will be red instead of silver (like this), the front brake calipers are larger and have GTI printed on them, front and rear brake rotors are vented (rear discs on non-pp are solid).

2 - not sure as available trims are different in Canada, but that sounds correct.

Thanks!

I just looked at Autotrader right now and there's only one used GTI with the performance package in all of Texas.

So I guess the better question is, is the PP necessary?

I know the lighting package is a necessity but what about the PP?

ameratsu

Thanks!

I just looked at Autotrader right now and there's only one used GTI with the performance package in all of Texas.

The PP adds, in order of importance:

- Electronically-controlled LSD
- Larger front and rear brakes (from the Golf R)
- 10 hp bump

The big selling point is that buying all that stuff separately would be much, much more expensive than speccing the PP to a new GTI. If any of that matters is up to you.

v1lla21

Ima be honest and say you only really need the PP for the LSD if you'll be tracking the car. Otherwise the stock brakes are fine and you can just upgrade pads.

Akim

Banned
tell me the truth boys, how bad is a base cayman vs a cayman s (981)?

All the S versions in the years I want (2014/15) are going out of my price range. I don't want to regret getting a base later.

Makki

Thanks!

I would say yes, only because installing a diff later if necessary would be a pain.Now, if you never turn off traction control and only apply brakes strongly to avoid an accident, then no its not worth it for you.

All the S versions in the years I want (2014/15) are going out of my price range. I don't want to regret getting a base later.

I have a base 2015 Cayman. It's the same exact car with a smaller engine. The base engine is plenty quick for surface driving, although YMMV depending on what you're used to hauling around in.

I personally don't think it's worth the 10-15K price difference for the bigger engine. Especially with the new 718 being faster anyway. Best advice I can give is go drive one and decide for yourself. Not a head turner in the acceleration department but you can take hard surface street right turns at 30 MPH without so much as a groan from the tires.

Cayman is all about the handling more than anything. You're primarily buying a ticket for the chassis, not the engine. Remember that.

I have a base 2015 Cayman. It's the same exact car with a smaller engine. The base engine is plenty quick for surface driving, although YMMV depending on what you're used to hauling around in.

I personally don't think it's worth the 10-15K price difference for the bigger engine. Especially with the new 718 being faster anyway. Best advice I can give is go drive one and decide for yourself. Not a head turner in the acceleration department but you can take hard surface street right turns at 30 MPH without so much as a groan from the tires.

Cayman is all about the handling more than anything. You're primarily buying a ticket for the chassis, not the engine. Remember that.

The Base model isn't much of a straight line accelerator compared to more powerful cars, but the S model is no slouch. It gives the 718 Cayman Base a run for its money, maybe even quicker.

But I agree, the Cayman is all about handling and going around corners. This car is an enabler. In Base and S models, it keeps urging you to drive faster and harder because it can handle it. The engine sound is just as much of a reward as the actual cornering itself.

You know, I wonder where Evo X is? It's been pages without a post from him. I'm used to seeing his posts about Porsche and cars in general. I feel like he would have great input on these cars since some people have been asking about them in the last several pages.

J-Rzez

I have a bit of experience with the 4C as a good friend has a launch edition. Car is awesome, turns heads, sounds good with the upgraded exhaust in the package. Steering is very, well, there's no power assist. Ride isn't livable enough, and that's a lot coming from me. Its a true track event/cruise/etc car. Day to day, its rough.

It was very easy to get to the ECU to swap. The intake kit, heh. And there some mileage service thing training the chassis/tub bolts. The car can't be jacked like a normal car without risk.

That said. Its really an awesome, unique car. Would buy.

Anion

Gosh I hate car keyers. I purposely park far away from everyone in my apartment complex on a side where no one can park next to me on at least two sides.
Today I go my car and see a key mark from the front passenger handle to the rear passenger door. Its a single white line that I was able to rub off except in two places where the guy pressed hard.

What is frustrating is that the individual had to go out of their way to get to my passenger side as that had no parking spaces next to it.

Any guesses as to how much this would cost? I'll take better pictures later

Edit
Updated pictures

img_1040gmlac.jpg

img_1039rzytg.jpg

matmanx1

Base care is awesome. S version just has more grunt and that is most noticeable in the torque. Like everyone else has said though those cars are more about handling than acceleration and the handling even in the base car is great. The 2.7l flat 6 has plenty of power for the base car and you will have more fun flinging the base car around a corner than you would accelerating in a straight line with even the S version (my opinion, of course).

You can't go wrong either way so just buy the best car you can for your budget.

The PP adds, in order of importance:

- Electronically-controlled LSD
- Larger front and rear brakes (from the Golf R)
- 10 hp bump

The big selling point is that buying all that stuff separately would be much, much more expensive than speccing the PP to a new GTI. If any of that matters is up to you.

Lmao 10hp. Joking aside I feel like that LSD is gonna be really useful at the end of the day even though I don't plan on tracking a lot.

I really like the wheels too, much better looking than the flat dish with the standard GTI's.

Ima be honest and say you only really need the PP for the LSD if you'll be tracking the car. Otherwise the stock brakes are fine and you can just upgrade pads.

This sounds like the Civic Si/Sport conundrum lol.

I'm still looking at Si's as well, and might test drive one this week so we'll see how it really is.

I would say yes, only because installing a diff later if necessary would be a pain.Now, if you never turn off traction control and only apply brakes strongly to avoid an accident, then no its not worth it for you.

I do tend to drive balls out most of the time so I'd probably need it lol.

We'll see I guess. Gonna go test drive one this weekend while waiting for my bumper to get fixed.

v1lla21

I was reading today that it's possible to enable full off (among other things) with vagcom or obd eleven.
Yup, haven't done any vagcom related stuff to my car though. Might try obd eleven. I've read that it works well and you can do a lot with it.

I think the mk7 doesn't spin the inside wheel as much as the mk6 does when cornering even without the LSD. I hate it so much in the mk6 but LSDs are pricey.

AlphaSnake

Balls to the wall driving and taking fast corners? Definitely get the PP then lol. It does make a difference in those situations.

I drive my GTI with traction control off majority of the time but the shitty part is that it's never really off all the way.

Goodbye Ferrari California T, hello Ferrari Portofino.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/feast-your-eyes-on-the-stunning-new-ferrari-portofino/

c322aaa6d2206ddb029e0b33400642fc.jpg

Wow.

It also has a screen where it belongs, the center console. So that's a massive win.

burgerdog

Gosh I hate car keyers. I purposely park far away from everyone in my apartment complex on a side where no one can park next to me on at least two sides.
Today I go my car and see a key mark from the front passenger handle to the rear passenger door. Its a single white line that I was able to rub off except in two places where the guy pressed hard.

What is frustrating is that the individual had to go out of their way to get to my passenger side as that had no parking spaces next to it.

Edit
Updated pictures

https://abload.de/img/img_1040gmlac.jpg[/ig]
[img]https://abload.de/img/img_1039rzytg.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]

God damn assholes, I hope it doesn't end up being too expensive :/

Edit
Updated pictures

img_1040gmlac.jpg

img_1039rzytg.jpg

Wow, that is absolutely brutal... I hope it doesn't cost much or insurance covers for it... Why do people even do stuff like this? It makes no sense.

https://youtu.be/U1TSsS-mB6c

I'm with Stolz here.

ZOONAMI

I'm surprised you could keep at all lol. GTI has what, 100 horses on a 2.5 Mazda? The GTI is all about that APR flash. Will give the car another 50hp or so and another 75-100lbs of torque, for like $600.

I would just get a base GTI and do the APR. But yeah you might want to upgrade the pads. I have a tiguan with the APR tune and honestly even with nice pads the car feels like it needs better brakes so I kind of have to be careful. The stock braking distance on a tiguan is already pretty mediocre (although I believe the brakes are the same as the 2009 GTI which actually downgraded the rear brakes in 2010). But yeah there is a 700lb weight difference.

Anion

Wow, that is absolutely brutal... I hope it doesn't cost much or insurance covers for it... Why do people even do stuff like this? It makes no sense.

God damn assholes, I hope it doesn't end up being too expensive :/

I just can't comprehend either, I always park far away from everyone as I can. Funny thing is that there quite a few cars in the parking lot that cost double if not more than my car. Lots of Mercedes CLSs and 5 Series BMWs. The only reason is that mine is bright red.

If that scratch is down to the metal I bet the entire panel has to be repainted.

I'd say around 300-500 a panel depending.

Sadly I think it's much deeper than I thought it was initially and it's across both front passenger and rear passenger.

I'm having a detective take a look at the footage so we will see what he can find. Not too hopeful tbh :/

Laws00

So the Z4 concept comes out and everyone is saying how we should look to it for the design of the Toyota Supra.

Shouldn't they just name the thing the Z5 by now? I thought they were retiring the 4

ameratsu

Selling my dc2 gsr is making me hate people.

No trades prominently in your ad? How about a jetski bro?

Random text: "Lowest price for your Integra". That's not how negotiation works you asshole.

At this point I'm basically expecting someone to come drive it and offer me some shatter as a trade.

Balls to the wall driving and taking fast corners? Definitely get the PP then lol. It does make a difference in those situations.

I drive my GTI with traction control off majority of the time but the shitty part is that it's never really off all the way.

Yuuup. Balls to the wall driving is one of the reasons why I love my Miata.

Just earlier a Scooby WRX thought he was hot shit for swerving like a tool in the highway, but as soon as he got behind me, I dropped it to 5th and hit 100mph and dude was too much of a little bitch to keep up lol.

I'm surprised you could keep at all lol. GTI has what, 100 horses on a 2.5 Mazda? The GTI is all about that APR flash. Will give the car another 50hp or so and another 75-100lbs of torque, for like $600.

I would just get a base GTI and do the APR. But yeah you might want to upgrade the pads. I have a tiguan with the APR tune and honestly even with nice pads the car feels like it needs better brakes so I kind of have to be careful. The stock braking distance on a tiguan is already pretty mediocre (although I believe the brakes are the same as the 2009 GTI which actually downgraded the rear brakes in 2010). But yeah there is a 700lb weight difference.

Lol a 2.5 MZR has around 170hp, it's only down around 40-50hp to the GTI... just chalk it up to driving skills I guess. :p

Anyway, that's definitely something I'm considering as well... a non-PP GTI with the lightning package should probably be enough for spirited daily driving but I'll wait to test drive a non-PP GTI and see how that is first before deciding.

Selling my dc2 gsr is making me hate people.

No trades prominently in your ad? How about a jetski bro?

Random text: "Lowest price for your Integra". That's not how negotiation works you asshole.

At this point I'm basically expecting someone to come drive it and offer me some shatter as a trade.

If only you weren't in Canada...

Akim

Banned
So my insurance company quoted me 1744 for a 6 month premium for insurance on a 2013 Lotus Evora. Does that seem crazy high to you guys?

I'm 30/male, no accidents, no tickets.

edit: fixed

v1lla21

Yuuup. Balls to the wall driving is one of the reasons why I love my Miata.

Just earlier a Scooby WRX thought he was hot shit for swerving like a tool in the highway, but as soon as he got behind me, I dropped it to 5th and hit 100mph and dude was too much of a little bitch to keep up lol.
Lol yeah, fun messing with guys in scoobies thinking they're automatically better drivers because they have awd and more power. Funny when they are too scared to go any faster on corners. There's a chicane going to the theater by my house and people who try and race constantly slow down way too much while I take it at high speeds and leave em behind.

MisterNoisy

I just can't comprehend either, I always park far away from everyone as I can. Funny thing is that there quite a few cars in the parking lot that cost double if not more than my car. Lots of Mercedes CLSs and 5 Series BMWs. The only reason is that mine is bright red.

Sadly I think it's much deeper than I thought it was initially and it's across both front passenger and rear passenger.

I'm having a detective take a look at the footage so we will see what he can find. Not too hopeful tbh :/

Yeah. There's a fair bit that is going to require sanding, possibly some filler and a respray/blend. Sucks.

I haven't had any problems in my apartments, mostly because everybody already knows me as 'the friendly guy that's always washing his car on Saturday and does shrimp boils every now and then' and we all get along really well. Also, the complex is fairly pricey for the area and tends to have mostly older (30+) residents.

Top Bottom