• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 posts in 4 years.

Truly these threads are something special.

I think the admin should start looking at post history as the bitching in the thread is becoming a bit extreme...
Devs are praising the ram... though, some here are acting like their livelihood ... is invested in this thread to bash this ram thing. Im not pointing fingers or naming names. But admin, keep an eye out in this thread....

If it turns out this DF report is wrong and the number is actually 6GB it'll have been pretty crazy how the information has evolved and all the unnecessary drama involved all over RAM.

noobasuar

Banned
Now that Microsoft is doing it also those threads seem to have disappeared....

Yeah, obviously. I thought they were going to have a huge advantage (IMO) and it turns out they don't. So why would I make any threads about it? I don't see what that has to do with what I said earlier but okay.

How much RAM does a dev need to do this?

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

ibp2LYnmQJjEkC.gif

That is the only amount I care about.

A good pc.

Becky

Banned
If it turns out this DF report is wrong and the number is actually 6GB it'll have been pretty crazy how the information has evolved and all the unnecessary drama involved all over RAM.

6GBs will be fine. Sony will have more for games and still match anything MS can do on the OS end. Perfect.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Err
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

Int main ()
{
Double * buffer1;
Unsigned int size1 = 2000000000;
Buffer = (double*) Malloc (size1);

... Repeat for buffer2,size2 ... Buffer4,size4

Return 0;
}

Voila ! I mean you can waste memory if you want to ...

Do you work for Bethesda? ;P

V1cK dB

Banned
I think the admin should start looking at post history as the bitching in the thread is becoming a bit extreme...
Devs are praising the ram... though, some here are acting like their livelihood ... is invested in this thread to bash this ram thing. Im not pointing fingers or naming names. But admin, keep an eye out in this thread....

You guys seem really obsessed with titles and post counts. I don't see how my post count and the fact that I've been a member since 09 has anything to do with what I'm actually saying.

Takuya

Banned
If I had to take a stab at what I think the real numbers are I would say:

- 6GB Game RAM allocation
- 1.5GB OS allocation
- .5GB "flex" RAM

Of course, this is straight from a Goomba's ass so don't quote me on it.

I'm going to go with:

- 5.5 dedicated (Game)
- 0.5 flex (Game)
- 1.5 dedicated OS
- 0.5 (reserved - can be freed later on)

StoopKid

Yeah, obviously. I thought they were going to have a huge advantage (IMO) and it turns out they don't. So why would I make any threads about it? I don't see what that has to do with what I said earlier but okay.

Your post earlier just makes you sound like a hypocrite.

That's all.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
People saying 5Gb is less or 6-2 split is better are saying as if they have acquired years of experience in hardware scene lol.

Just enjoy the games coming. Why do we need to take headache for all this?

One has nothing to do with the other- they're two different OS's on two different machines.

The sluggish behavior of in-game XMB is a clear indicator of how memory-starved the PS3 is when running a game.

In-game XMB barely runs with limited functionality even after they shrunk their OS footprint. But hey- if you're sitting on the real reason why those features never made it to the PS3, I'm all ears. Don't be coy- lay it on us.

If MS was able to do more using less memory, they probably had better OS coders.

Sony's Statement:
We would like to clear up a misunderstanding regarding our "direct" and "flexible" memory systems. The article states that "flexible" memory is borrowed from the OS, and must be returned when requested - that's not actually the case.

The actual true distinction is that:

"Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
"Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.

Why? What does this mean??? Whats the benefit of this? Why not have it all in the normal direct memory?

Troll

Banned
Considering the Xbox One is running three OS' that would be a lot of bloat for one OS. Let's see how this plays out.

You guys seem really obsessed with titles and post counts. I don't see how my post count and the fact that I've been a member since 09 has anything to do with what I'm actually saying.

No ones pointing fingers at anyone. I trust the admin to weed out the Rent-A-Fan type folk in any case. Its just weird these kind of users were exposed as astroturfers a little while ago. All very intrigueing how they work all undercover beating dead horses and moaning over nonsensical shit. Again, I trust admin to weed those guys out :)

I'm going to go with:

- 5.5 dedicated (Game)
- 0.5 flex (Game)
- 1.5 dedicated OS
- 0.5 (reserved - can be freed later on)

Agree with this entirely.

People saying 5Gb is less or 6-2 split is better are saying as if they have acquired years of experience in hardware scene lol.

Just enjoy the games coming. Why do we need to take headache for all this?

Because a lot of the people freaking out are either too young or too sheltered to have actually been through any kind of real crisis or hardship. They actually think that the difference between 5 and 6 gigs of available memory in a video game console is worth losing their heads over...

Buckle up, kiddies. Life's going to have bigger curve balls than this to throw at you.

V1cK dB

Banned
No ones pointing fingers at anyone. I trust the admin to weed out the Rent-A-Fan type folk in any case. Its just weird these kind of users were exposed as astroturfers a little while ago. All very intrigueing how they work all undercover beating dead horses and moaning over nonsensical shit. Again, I trust admin to weed those guys out :)

Got it. I just came back to these forums because with new systems launching for the first time in a long time I wanted to get info as quickly as possible. I know this forum will do that for me. I haven't had a need to do that in a long time. Not sure why I'm explaining myself but I'm sure it makes sense.

Still not sure what the obsession with titles like "juniors" matter. So some people have posted on these forums for a while. How does that make any opinion more valid than another's? Debate what is being said don't just attack the person.

DC1

Why? What does this mean??? Whats the benefit of this? Why not have it all in the normal direct memory?
Likely for OS allocated game functions (on the fly in game downloadable content, background calculations that does not impact live game functionality (persistent words in SP mode) and some other super features that I have no concept of.

Just my thoughts ...nothing confirmed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom