• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

Either this:

51GMKNSJ9GL._AA160_.jpg

or later, this:

41E9aLAUXgL.jpg

Honorable mention to Super Mario World, although I did not have it myself until Super Mario Advance 2.

Levyne

Banned
1995.jpg

Only not on XBLA. I had a binder than had official (i think) maps that showed where all the secret rooms were, I vaguely remember some leading to secret bosses but I don't remember if that was in the original or Spear of Destiny.

And this

256px-One-must-fall-cover.jpg

i played so many games across so many system..

i'm 30 in feb 2012 so i'm older enough to have played atari right up to now..

i had a master system and phantasy star i did own.. and yes it ruled.
Nes i played Final fantasy 1 a ton.. and dragon warrior.. river city ransom..mario's
snes i played the crap outa mario, mario kart, zelda, final fantasy, secret of mana.. Soooo many more
n64 goldeneye and perfect dark, international super star soccer, ogre battle 64
PSX Resident evil 2, parasite even, ff7, ff tactics etc etc
Ps2 and gamecube .. well gamecube i played alot of smash bros, ps2 baulders gate dark alliance :p

PC i played all the classics from the last 15+ years.. from tie fighter to day of the tenticle.. from under a killing moon to leisure suit larry.. sierra classics, lucasarts magic games! DIABLO2! put hundreds of hours in diablo 2

EVERQUEST 1.. thousands of hours..
WOW pre cataclysm.. lots

today... i've been playing fire emblem for gamecube and now starting on the wii version.

YES my gaming life has rocked.. name a great game and chances are i've played it.

my #1 game of all time is too hard to say.. even as a child there were so many i loved for different periods. Everquest 1 was pretty amazing raiding back in the day being a top 20 ranger server wide for awhile was pretty awesome. I'd never be able to do that again with a family and kids.. way too time consuming.

but i'll never stop gaming.. as much as i drive my wife crazy sometimes :)

angelfly

Pokemon Red and Blue were that game to me but before that:

Police Quest
o34lv.gif

A side effect was I became a better typer at a young age.

It's a tie between those

Elite_org_cover.jpg

The_Eidolon_Coverart.png

KoronisRift-OpeningScreen.png

Really engaging experiences and I would also list Rescue from Fractalus, but that had just the jumpscare gimmick, while the above three games had some really deep mechanics.
Only saw the last level in Eidolon once or twice, but the black crystal cave was mind-blowing after all those "grey" caverns.

Good times

Theonik

Megadrive: Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Super Hang-On and Columns.
My parents bought me a Megadrive II and a cart with all these was bundled
PS1: Spyro 2/3. My PS1 came with a demo of Spyro 1 and after that i really wanted the game and ended up picking Spyro 2 the next day. These two games are probably my most played that gen.

DeSo said:
You know, the game that you couldn't put down, everything about it just blew your mind, it defined your future gaming taste.

Has to be Secret of Mana on the SNES for me. This was the best thing I'd ever played. The whole leveling up, playing with a mate, working our way towards the end goal. The epic music. The story. That's where my love of JRPGs began.

Secret of Mana. Best game ever made and has not been topped since. id give anything for a remake/XBLA game with Bastion graphics and everything else being the same.

-KRS-

Super Mario Bros. 3
Pokémon R/B/Y

Yeah, I think those two might be it actually. These two games were HUGELY influental on me.

Edit: Oh right, Daytona USA.. It was actually one of the first 3D racing games I played and it changed my expectations of what a racing game could be. Now that I think of it, lots of Saturn games were like that. The Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter series are other examples of games that totally changed my expectations.

Edit again: Ah fuck how could I forget Super Mario 64?! Well put that on there too because that was REALLY mindblowing at the time.

Depends on how young were talking here.

5-9: Ghost House, Transbot, Altered Beast, Mario Bros 3, Sonic

10-14: Sonic 3, Shining the Holy Ark, FF7, Panzer Dragoon Saga, SOTN

There are others of course. You know I sometimes hate retrospectives, reminds me how much more I like the old games over the new ones, lol.

GaussTek

Definitely Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap for the Sega Master System. It really left me an impression because of it's graphics, excellent music, level/world design and boss fights.

Super Mario Allstars (SNES, I was 7 when it released) was the game of my childhood I played the most.
Super Mario 64 (N64, I was 10 when it released) however was the game that "blew my mind", and of which I have the fondest nostalgic feelings.

-KRS-

Phat Michael said:
Secret of Mana. Best game ever made and has not been topped since. id give anything for a remake/XBLA game with Bastion graphics and everything else being the same.

Holy shit I came

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game, on PC. I thought that game held the answers to life itself at the end, I was that obsessed.

...needless to say, decades later when I actually finished it, it was a bit of a damp squib.

Bruce Lee-

brucelee_p1.gif

Drelbs (I used to dream making boxes in the game-

252091-drelbs-atari-8-bit-screenshot-gotta-move-quicklys.png

and Montezuma's Revenge-

Montezumas_revenge_atariXL.png

All on the Atari 800. Man, that had some great games.

Top Bottom