• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

farisr

I honestly thought the steelbook would be a separate collectible case that's just limited at launch or something (as other games have done that before).

If the steelbook is the only case in that edition and there's no standard case alongside it, then I'm just gonna change over my order to the regular edition.

Think I'm done with EB Games for a while. Went to buy a new, sealed copy of a particular game yesterday and the employees were giving me a hard time because I refused to by one of their "new" shelf copies. I said I wasn't interested in buying a "new" game with a case that had been sitting on the shelf and handled multiple times.

Like, should I really have to defend my game-buying preferences?

Went and bought the game someplace else.

Dazzler

Think I'm done with EB Games for a while. Went to buy a new, sealed copy of a particular game yesterday and the employees were giving me a hard time because I refused to by one of their "new" shelf copies. I said I wasn't interested in buying a "new" game with a case that had been sitting on the shelf and handled multiple times.

I'm not defending the practice by any means here, but if the store is down to their last few copies, those on the shelf ones are likely all they have

It's common practice to "gut" new games to put the empty boxes out on shelves to display

I used to do it every Monday night @ HMV to put the new release games out for Tuesday. I'd gut as many copies of the game as I needed to display, and these would only be sold once all the fresh, sealed copies had been sold

Seik

Banned

I went through the same shit.

Guy was like ''Why don't you buy it? It's brand new.''

''No, it's not new, the shrink wrap has been removed and most likely you or other employees played with it. A new copy hasn't been removed from its plastic shrink wrap and I don't see the value of buying this copy as a new one as its clearly not new from my point of view.''

Then they looked at me as if I was some weirdo while I left, fuck them.

farisr

Reading stuff like this I'm glad my ebgames and the many many folks who have worked there have been chill/good and never pull this shit (at least with me).

Manager and another employee were even outside in the switch line telling us the warranty for the games wasn't worth it.

Only downside is, they're really really knowledgable and up to date with company promotions, so you don't get the "I just used the double up switch promotion to buy a cheap game and every other game that I was trading in had its value doubled as well and they just put all of that extra amount on my edge card" type stuff happening here.

Iced

I have no issue with them trying to sell it to me - in fact I think I purchased a display Katamari Damacy back in the day, out of desperation - but I don't see why they can't be upfront about it and call it what it is: an opened game. We all know why they do it. Just don't call it "new".

I'm not defending the practice by any means here, but if the store is down to their last few copies, those on the shelf ones are likely all they have

It's common practice to "gut" new games to put the empty boxes out on shelves to display

I used to do it every Monday night @ HMV to put the new release games out for Tuesday. I'd gut as many copies of the game as I needed to display, and these would only be sold once all the fresh, sealed copies had been sold

Yes, I know EB Games has done this for a while, which is why I always straight-up ask if they have a sealed copy before deciding to buy. I get that it's a cost-savings to use their last copy as the shelf copy, but I shouldn't be condescended towards if I'm not interested in buying that copy - especially at full price. I know my tastes are particular, but they should at least be respected.

Glad to see other people have had more pleasant experiences at their own locations.

Find a better EBgames. There's two around my house that are like 8km away from each other and they are worlds apart when it comes to how they handle their business. One tries to upsell their warranties and push "new" and recycled games and even card upgrades on people while being clueless about games in general. The other one is great for just trying to help you get what you need. They even helped me get the best deal out of my switch trades lol.

Dazzler

Yes, I know EB Games has done this for a while, which is why I always straight-up ask if they have a sealed copy before deciding to buy. I get that it's a cost-savings to use their last copy as the shelf copy, but I shouldn't be condescended towards if I'm not interested in buying that copy - especially at full price. I know my tastes are particular, but they should at least be respected.

Glad to see other people have had more pleasant experiences at their own locations.

That's more of an issue with the staff at your local EB being assholes than anything else :)

Grimsen

Speaking of EB, they're getting Switch consoles today.

My mom managed to snag one for me while I'm at work. Hurray for awesome retired parents! :D

Mikey Jr.

EB Games are hilarious.

Went to go buy Dishonored 2. Cashier is taking to some dad about that stupid $2 disc protection thing for Borderlands collection for PS4. EBGames guys is like "You should get this plan. I tried installing the DLC for the game and it wasn't working".

Of course poor dad got suckered, probably doesn't know what the fuck he was babbling about. But it was $2, so fuck it I guess.

Is it smart to preorder Mario now, or wouldn't it be better to wait for e3 Promo and get 30% off?

There's no point waiting; just cancel and re-order if a better deal appears.

There wasn't any 30% off E3 though to my memory, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

EDIT: oops missed the word LAST E3

Magnus

I think this qualifies as a deal for Hearthstone players in Canada:

Get your expansion preorder in on an Android tablet or phone and pay $49 CDN instead of $69 CDN via Apple or PC platforms. Big savings.

I would imagine the same principle applies to buying other pack denominations too, but haven't compared prices there.

farisr

I was out of the country for 6 months during the last e3, did they really no longer have the 30% off deals?
Nope. IIRC, last e3 was 20% off from amazon, and reward points bonuses from best buy. It sucked. Only good preorder deals that happened were certain games (like Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2, FFXV) going down to 49.99 for a period of time.

So yeah, better to just make a preorder now. If it ever drops down in price, it'll get adjusted automatically.

Might be interesting to see how Amazon handles it this year though. We didn't have Prime 20% off last E3. Maybe they just open the Prime 20% to everyone for the week, but then it wouldn't be anything special for prime members. So maybe they boost it to 30% for prime members during the week? That might be dreaming though...

Maximus.

Might be interesting to see how Amazon handles it this year though. We didn't have Prime 20% off last E3. Maybe they just open the Prime 20% to everyone for the week, but then it wouldn't be anything special for prime members. So maybe they boost it to 30% for prime members during the week? That might be dreaming though...

I feel like we won't see any discount promotions. Amazon now has the discount with Prime and Best Buy with its new store layouts, don't seem to care for games as much anymore.

To me it's a fine line between them selling used games that look good as new and new lol, used to always piss me off paying full price for an already opened game that had horrible stickers all over the front.

I feel like we won't see any discount promotions. Amazon now has the discount with Prime and Best Buy with its new store layouts, don't seem to care for games as much anymore.

The Best Buy near me just set up a really good gaming section.

It's looked like shit for months.

Saint-bruno store had them at 11:45, they still had stock at 12:30.

Longueuil store was expecting stock at around 1, I didn't check to see if they have it.

Thanks so much for this tip!! I walked over to my local EB Games in Toronto and got the last Switch console they had in stock.

iphys

I bought one of those "new" games once, and it was a DS game with a save file from someone already having played it. Never again.

Moltenix

Shiit, there's probably gonna be no Switch's left anywhere by the time I get off work. Assuming we have any new stock anywhere in Calgary today...

FN-2187

Sale Sale Sale

20% discount if you use masterpass on Indigo Chapters. Today only.

Thanks for posting! I took advantage of this to buy some books and toys for my kids for Easter and an upcoming road trip. They have some pretty good toy sales on right now, which stack with this offer.

Too bad they don't carry many video games anymore. I bought my New 3DS XL when they had a similar deal with Visa Checkout a year or so ago.

jet1911

Anyone knows if the Play Anywhere codes besbuy US sells work in Canada too? I guess they do but I just want to be sure before throwing 50$ bucks away.

Max_Po

Banned
Apple refurb I assume?

They do educational discounts, but I don't know how much they are.

I can get 150 off from the current price through Work Discount.

At Staples its on sale for 2299.99 and I can get it for 2302 same model Apple Store online with option to make payments in 3 months....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom