• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After BOTW, what do you want from Red Dead Redemption 2?

"Red Dead Redemption 2" is the next big open-world game on the horizon that I'm excited about. Aside from it just being a larger, more detailed sequel to "Red Dead Redemption", I'd really like to see some campfire cooking like what's on offer in BOTW. Being able to concoct your own soups and medicines as you sit around the fire - either alone or with your gang - would be atmospheric and immersive.

Owning property and being able to name and board horses at those properties as well as stables in towns would be a nice addition. Being able to climb most things [mountains, buildings, etc ] would make exploration more fun.

Maybe Rockstar can improve the weather in Red Dead Redemption 2 over the original game. The original Red Dead Redemption still has the best rain I've ever seen in a game. It is handled very realistically - similar to BOTW. It starts in varying degrees of rainfall, whether that be heavy or light rain, it forms puddles as the rain continues, makes everything wet in a gradual fashion and you could also see it raining off in the distance and ride into it, just like in real life.

There's a lot of things from BOTW that Rockstar could utilize and improve upon, so what are your wishlist features and thoughts on this?

Peterc

I hope developers stopping being lazy and work more on gameplay than ony focus on story based and prefab almost everything.

Cleve

Pistols that break after 15 rounds, and some sort of mechanic that forces you to stop what you're doing depending on the weather.

Seriously though? I want rockstar to continue to evolve the open world in their own direction that they've been working on for decades.

I want it to be like red dead redemption. I don't need botw design in my western open world. If anything far cry can learn from botw because those two have something in common.

Something else than the western setting and the story because Red Dead Redemption is boring to me if you exclude those things

Lol what's wrong with that?

Watch any Western film and at some point most likely, you'll see them cooking over a campfire, making coffee etc. From what I remember, in the original Red Dead Redemption you could not do this.

That won't make the game any better... just pads in more unnecessary hours of finding shit and crafting. Jrpg can keep that, western developers don't need to learn anything from Japanese developers. Their games will still sell more regardless.

Better hunting quests and more dynamic animal A.I. would be great. BotW borrowed and improved upon what RDR did, and I'd like to see them up that with current technology.

Also likeable side characters who aren't the biggest fucks in western history

A relative lack of barriers. It's not like Zelda is the open world by which all open worlds going forward will be measured, per se, because so much of what it does is in line with Zelda...but the biggest takeaway, that would be a nightmare for other devs but also worth it, is the lack of barriers.

I don't find the stamina/climbing etc particularly fun in BotW but the way it actually fulfills on Todd Howard's "See that mountain? You can go there!" in a way that Skyrim did not.

anddo0

-Better locomotion, R* always struggles with this
-More wildlife, for survival purposes maybe
-Swimming and fishing
-No sticky cover or conveniently placed walls etc..
-A map that's non-intrusive

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What would you want then lol?

Improvements on the systems they already implemented with the first game.

How does cooking up food or potions add anything to RDR2? Just because you have seen it in films?

How does climbing anything make sense with a more realistic approach that RDR usually goes after?

There are things that BOTW absolutely nailed and things that Rockstar could take from it and improve upon. As good of an open world game as BOTW is, there is still room for improvement and if Rockstar can nail the things that BOTW got right and also add in what it was missing, it could top it as the best open world game ever made.

I mean my biggest take of what BotW got right is that the towers you climb don't mark your map with waypoints, the player does. RDR doesn't even have towers so that is off the table.

The God

Kind of a weird question. The games are so different from each other I don't see why someones expectations for Red Dead would be different after playing Zelda.

It's like asking "after Witcher 3, what do you want from Persona 5 ?"

Considering I enjoyed RDR more than BOTW I would say the only thing I want them to implement is the gameplay freedom that BOTW has. Like different ways to accomplish the same objective in creative ways.

Just an example from BOTW, I need to cross a raging river, I can either climb this mountain to my right, use my freeze ability to freeze the water and hop across, or use this leaf I have in my inventory to make this raft move across.

Things like that.

atr0cious

RDR was the original open world refresher for me with the random encounters so i hope they just develop that further and not have a Mexico like drop in quality of the narrative happen; just got really boring and impersonal.

anddo0

Kind of a weird question. The games are so different from each other I don't see why someones expectations for Red Dead would be different after playing Zelda.

That's a terrible analogy..

They share a lot of similarities.. Red Dead is more cinematic

jonno394

I'd love to see RDR lift the temperature system from the game, as well as using campfires for warmth, and having to use clothing and torches etc. Also the cooking system.

Oh and swimming and enemies in the water (ie gators)

MaKTaiL

I want RDR 2. Just that. I don't want any influences from Zelda to be honest. Two completely separate games.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
RDR doesn't really need to take anything from BotW. It already had a great open world. You don't wabt your cowboy to be climbing cliffsides and cooking. They first and foremost need to worry about this protagonist living up to John, and improving the gunfighting in a GTA4 > GTA5 kind of way.

To me Breath of the Wild set a new bar for Open World game design and it would be a damn shame if games like Red Dead just ignored it. There are many things developers can learn from BotW but you can just shrug it off as Zelda fanboys being annoying if you want to.

Like what, in particular?

daman824

I don't want any climbing in rdr2.

Zelda was amazing, but rdr is still the best game I've ever played. Give me more interesting characters, an interesting and powerful story, a beautiful world, more outstanding music and sound effects, and make sure the second half of the game is every bit as good as the first half.

jayu26

What would you want then lol?

A decent story and proper character motivations, considering those of some of the most celebrated aspects of Red Dead Redemption. Also, it's a western, I don't want to be stuck inside a dungeon or a shrine in a fucking western.

Silvard

Guns that explode after a handful of rounds fired, to promote variety.

A stamina bar for the player character this time.

Towers.

calder

Of the things that BotW fans mention as strengths of the game I can't think of a single thing that I'd want Rockstar to take for RDR2 honestly. Very different games in (arguably) the same basic genre.

Fishing and cooking for buffs, mining...
Bartending, I want to tend bar.
Maybe be a bouncer for some extra coin.

Good ideas all.

That game really is that good tho, whats bad about devs using some of the best parts themselves to improve their games?

Nothing at all. I'm sure Rockstar will look at BOTW for at least some of their ideas. Currently, it's the industry darling and all game devs are looking at it either to be inspired by it, or to pick it apart and fix what the game didn't do well for content in their own games.

They're both open world and I really love the way that Nintendo handled the open-world in BOTW. Rockstar is known for making some of the best open-world games and I really think that there are things they could take from BOTW and improve upon them.

HeatBoost

I want it to have weird, fantastical single player campaign DLC like Undead Nightmare, and not multiplayer DLC

So I'm probably outta luck

Like what, in particular?

Like meaningful open world design, rewarding the player for breaking the boundaries and exploring using free flowing abilities and offering an almost infinite amount of possibilities and solutions. Having freedom behind the forefront of the structure and providing a feeling of discovery that seems lost in the majority of modern releases.

I don't think Red Dead needs to be as open as Zelda in story missions but Rockstar could certainly adopt a few traits when it comes to rewarding the player and variety in how you approach a scenario.

7roject28

I don't want any climbing in rdr2.

Zelda was amazing, but rdr is still the best game I've ever played. Give me more interesting characters, an interesting and powerful story, a beautiful world, more outstanding music and sound effects, and make sure the second half of the game is every bit as good as the first half.

No climbing? That's not even realistic.

Top Bottom