• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces a new Mana game...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The-Grinch-Benz-and-a-Backpack.jpg
^
Kagari

D:

Xater

No matter what the platform is, a new Mana game would have sucked anyway. What is the last one that was good?

I think "Square Enix announced" + "thing you could conceivably want" + "it's not Eidos" usually implies a social/mobile/browser game, a title that will never be localized, or a sequel you probably didn't ask for.

I think this is how they design development projects now.

Jarnet87

Sqenix: iOS/Gree exclusive by 2014. FF14 and Loling Returns part 3 could be the last console games we get from this company. And people get mad when I say they need to go bankrupt so someone else can revise some of their great IPs.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a possibility this is a timed exclusive? Still pissed I can't play that SD1 cellphone remake, that's basically the original in color with some tweaks.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there a possibility this is a timed exclusive? Still pissed I can't play that SD1 cellphone remake, that's basically the original in color with some tweaks.

There's a SD1 phone remake? Is it the same game as Sword of Mana on the GBA?

Edit: Oh, original game with color?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
You could see this coming a mile away when reading the title

Ah well, at least they're trying to get the franchise to make some money

Mael

Doesn't mean that they can't update the artwork in some capacity. Look at Secret of Mana. It got a character artwork overhaul simply because of the iOS port.

no offense but the 2nd pic is closer to official art than the 1rst.
Seriously Secret of Mana isn't Earthbound.
heck it's the 1rst time I've ever seen this kind of artstyle for SoM

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
no offense but the 2nd pic is closer to official art than the 1rst.
Seriously Secret of Mana isn't Earthbound.
heck it's the 1rst time I've ever seen this kind of artstyle for SoM

The clay models were in the instruction manual of the SNES version. I'd consider it canon.

Qn0xN.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I have the PAL version and it's normal illustrations, so I guess the plush are promotional

That's a marked difference to what I received in my PAL version. I guess the French managed to get something more cartoonish.

jorgeton

So SE Japan is pretty much strictly mobile/browser games now? It's like watching something you loved slowly die away. It's like the new Michael Haneke movie Amour, video game company edition.

Mael

Wasn't that last mana game for the PS2 an abomination?

Even worse...it was that horrible DS game.
SD4 or Dawn of Mana was however probably the most boring game to ever carry the name Mana.
It's a cross between Kingdom Hearts, a drunk cameraman and a very boring game...
the music is lame despite the good parts in the soundtrack and the goddamn levels....

nasos_333

Come to think of it, judging by Bravely Default, FF Type-0 and Grand Knight HIstory, maybe this is better since there is a chance the game will come outside Japan

It is better to have a mediocre something, than an amazing nothing that is never released in US

Mael

Come to think of it, judging by Bravely Default, FF Type-0 and Grand Knight HIstory, maybe this is better since there is a chance the game will come outside Japan

It is better to have a mediocre something, than an amazing nothing that is never released in US

When was the last time a GREE game was released outside of Japan?

Cornbread78

I knew it was a mobile or browser game immediately. This is SE people, they don;t make console games anymore, they make crap....

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If I think of the Mana series now, they're pretty much crap now and are regulated to mobile phones.

This isn't surprising news though.

Achtius

Until they can make the next mana game feels and plays like Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3, I don't really care about the mana series. Children of mana felt really ..werid...for some reason.

Dali

But people should expect this kind of treatment from Square Enix by now!
Yeah really. I mean it was pretty obvious from the title: The fact that it was a Square announcement and the ellipses. How could anyone that clicked this thread not see what was coming?

Mael

People should stop dreaming, Mana is never, EVER coming back.
Ishii have been shipped out of Square Enix because of the World of Mana disaster, that's the guy behind every single Mana game too (well evidently except this one).
If you want an action rpg from them, their answer is pretty clear : Kingdom Hearts

Top Bottom