• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity:Complete Edition|OT| The perfect chance to revisit Raedric's Hold

Anno

That was the plan yeah, to surround myself with DPS. Awesome, glad I'm on the right track, thanks :)

The only thing I might suggest is dumping some of that Res back into Int. Paladins greatly benefit from the increased aura radius and spell durations. But if it's working for you then have fun.

I've got this on order so hopefully it'll turn up soon, can anyone recommend a starting class for someone who has not played this before?

Really excited to try the console version, I just hate playing these types of games with a mouse and I think it's a big reason why I disliked this on PC.

Anno

I've got this on order so hopefully it'll turn up soon, can anyone recommend a starting class for someone who has not played this before?

Fighter is probably the best all around new player class. Tanks well, deals good damage, not a ton of active abilities until mid to late game if you want.

Rangers could work well too. Just send in your pet whole you plink from the back lines.

Fighter is probably the best all around new player class. Tanks well, deals good damage, not a ton of active abilities until mid to late game if you want.

Rangers could work well too. Just send in your pet whole you plink from the back lines.

Thanks for that, I I'll go for a fighter and see how I get on.

Anno

The only issue with going fighter is that the best companion (IMO) is a fighter so if you're like me and have a pathological fear of doubling up on party roles you'll miss out.

Yeah that's a bit of a bummer. Fighters are pretty versatile and can stack well in a party but I know a lot of people don't like doing it.

Really excited to try the console version, I just hate playing these types of games with a mouse and I think it's a big reason why I disliked this on PC.

You hate "these types" of games with a mouse? The whole genre exists because computers had a mouse and they were molded around it. They didnt even exist on consoles until last year. How does one hate to play them with a mouse when they only ever existed in this form ?

Balphon

The only issue with going fighter is that the best companion (IMO) is a fighter so if you're like me and have a pathological fear of doubling up on party roles you'll miss out.

Yeah, he's one of the best optimized of the story companions in addition to being available early. He's also a grounded and pretty likable member of an NPC cast full of weirdos.

Though since this includes TWM there will be one story companion of each class, and as such there's no way to avoid "doubling up" in that regard.

Cipher or Paladin, imo. The npcs of those classes are farther into the game, plus they're easy to roleplay. Cipher especially is a great fit for the story.

Cipher or Paladin, imo. The npcs of those classes are farther into the game, plus they're easy to roleplay. Cipher especially is a great fit for the story.

Thanks for the information, can't wait to dive in now, not sure whether amazon are delivering tomorrow or at the end of the week, hopefully it's tomorrow as I'm away at the weekend.

Estellex

How well did this game sell? I remember Obsidian was about to go under and they took up this project to to try to save the company.

Was it enough to keep the studio running?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
How well did this game sell? I remember Obsidian was about to go under and they took up this project to to try to save the company.

It sold 500k by Oct 2015, plus Kickstarter pretty much covered the costs, so I believe It did decently for the company

Anno

Quite well for what it is. Enough to keep the company afloat and begin work on a pretty ambitious sequel. It also kept the lights on long enough to land another large publisher contract for an as-yet unannounced game.

Super excited for this -- just need to wait to purchase this soon. I gotta get this and Destiny 2, but this game will be mine sooner or later. Gonna sub to this post to keep tabs on it hopefully.

I'll be grabbing this first thing tomorrow. I won't be starting it for a bit but I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is for CRPG titles on console.

IvorB

This looks really cool but I have to finish Divinity: Original Sin first. I hope it has a better story and tone than Divinity though. The forced whimsy in that got a bit grating after a while.

Would this be recommended for someone who's never really played much of the old Infinity engine games? I tried jumping into BG once, but I have never played DnD and it was kind of just overwhelming having so much to consider right out of the gate just in terms of the minute to minute play.

Anno

Would this be recommended for someone who's never really played much of the old Infinity engine games? I tried jumping into BG once, but I have never played DnD and it was kind of just overwhelming having so much to consider right out of the gate just in terms of the minute to minute play.

Yeah for sure. Some classes still have a lot of abilities from the get go and it's still a pretty complex game but it's a far easier start than either BG game with no D&D knowledge.

Lister

Banned

D&D 2nd edition was inscrutable even to nerds like me. This features much more noob friendly on-boarding. It's a challenging game though. It's not going to hold your hand, unless you play on story mode.

Nikodemos

Well, BG1 is 'easy' in terms of mechanics because you have fuckall skills to manage in the beginning. But it's a hard game because anything can kill you in a single hit early on.

Pillars is more complex than BG1, but it's the 'good' kind of complex mainly because the underlying system isn't as obtuse as 2.5 Edition D&D.

Altazor

I was a complete DnD noob when I first played BG2 a couple of years ago - I found this much easier/intuitive.

It's not really "pick up and play! anyone can do it!" but it's not ultra obscure either. You just have to keep in mind that the battle system is called real time with pause for a reason, that the positioning of your party members really matters, that there's both per encounter (reset after every fight) and per rest (reset after you rest) abilities and that you don't need to grind because you get XP as you fill the bestiary and not every time you fight monsters.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Some tips for choosing your starting class and not doubling up with a recruitable NPC.

Late late game, aka The White March Expansion, has the following 3 companions:

Monk
Rogue
Barbarian

These classes can be gotten in act 2, which depending on how much you focus on the main story can be reached relatively quickly, or if you take your time, pretty deep in:

Cipher
Ranger
Paladin
Druid

You get the following classes in act 1, very early, so if you play as one of these classes you're pretty much guaranteed to double up for the first chunk of the game:

Fighter
Wizard
Chanter
Priest

It's also worth noting that for a small gold fee you can roll your own companions with the classes/skills you want if you choose to fill some gaps in your party or if you prefer rolling your whole party Icewind Dale style.

Yeah for sure. Some classes still have a lot of abilities from the get go and it's still a pretty complex game but it's a far easier start than either BG game with no D&D knowledge.

D&D 2nd edition was inscrutable even to nerds like me. This features much more noob friendly on-boarding. It's a challenging game though. It's not going to hold your hand, unless you play on story mode.

I was a complete DnD noob when I first played BG2 a couple of years ago - I found this much easier/intuitive.

It's not really "pick up and play! anyone can do it!" but it's not ultra obscure either. You just have to keep in mind that the battle system is called real time with pause for a reason, that the positioning of your party members really matters, that there's both per encounter (reset after every fight) and per rest (reset after you rest) abilities and that you don't need to grind because you get XP as you fill the bestiary and not every time you fight monsters.

Great - thanks for the feedback. Think I'll be adding this one to the list, as I have heard plenty of great things but unfortunately don't currently have a PC to play on.

Lister

Banned
Lucky, I wish I could re-experience this game again. Imagine having the power to wipe your brain of a game you played and experiece it a new.....

I guess that would be bad 'cause I'd probably still be playing Baldur's Gate 1 and Morrowind forever.

Anno

So, no reviews yet?

Someone reviewing the game in another thread mentioned that reviews wouldn't be out until sometime tomorrow.

From what we've heard though the game controls surprisingly well and that's the major difference between these ports and the main game that has like an 89 MC.

Staf

So probably a dumb question, but what is the bar on the left side of the portrait? Haven't seen any indication of what that could be from the tutorial.

So probably a dumb question, but what is the bar on the left side of the portrait? Haven't seen any indication of what that could be from the tutorial.

That's your health. PoE uses a kind of two stage health system. You have a total health represented by that bar, and then a per encounter endurance which is a portion of that total characters can lose before passing out shown by the portrait turning red..

danowat

Banned
I don't think this has been answered, but is there any Pro specific enhancements?, 4k?

Also, as it's £5 more on the PS4 than the XBO, any major performance differences between the two?

I don't think this has been answered, but is there any Pro specific enhancements?, 4k?

Also, as it's £5 more on the PS4 than the XBO, any major performance differences between the two?

Weird, it's $30 more expensive on Xbox live here for some reason.

Top Bottom