• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Takes Down Videos And Patreon From Creator Of Mario 64 Online

Link.

Only a few days ago we reported that an avid fan had created a mod that allowed online play for Super Mario 64. It would seem that Nintendo weren’t too keen on their IP being used without permission and, according to the creator, his videos and Patreon have been closed. When you try and watch any of the videos a message pops up saying that the video contains content from Nintendo and that they have blocked it on copyright grounds.

Nintendo has also filed two DMCA complaints about uploads on his discord channel.

kulapik

I can understand taking down the Patreon, but you still need a legal rom of the game to run it. At least it's out there.

Also, to make it clear: The actual projects are not shut down. Kaze sends out raw code for the emulator in order for other people to modify it. As it's emulator based, they really can't stop that. They CAN stop his development videos USING SM64 with the code though

The dude set up a Patreon so he could essentially make money off of Super Mario 64?!

Quelle fucking surprise it got taken down.

Nibel

"Expected", yes, but what a unnecessary draconian measure for what is a niche and harmless mod of an old game. Hope he'll continue to make his mods, dude is incredibly talented

Good decision. This may have generated interest around their IPs and make people excited.

Ah yes, the Mario IP lives and dies by its N64 rom hack community

gogogow

"Expected", yes, but what a unnecessary draconian measure for what is a niche and harmless mod of an old game. Hope he'll continue to make his mods, dude is incredibly talented

Ah yes, the Mario IP lives and dies by its N64 rom hack community

He had a Patreon, thus getting money for the project.

Is there legal grounds for this or is it just Patreon and YouTube working with Nintendo? Patreons are just donations and it's for the development of a mod for a console exclusive game that is 21 years old now (within a series that has never offered online co-op).

I'd imagine if there were legal grounds to shut down the project, they would've done that too.

The project continues on since they can't take down coding, but he's said he was gonna lay low for a while and try not announce so many SM64 projects literally during Odyssey season.

These things always happen when a milestone Nintendo game is about to release.

MUnited83

For you.
The dude set up a Patreon so he could essentially make money off of Super Mario 64?!

Quelle fucking surprise it got taken down.
Nah, he was making money of his own mod, with code that is ,100% his. This wouldn't stand in court but people don't want to challenge them.
He had a Patreon, thus getting money for the project.
Which is entirely his right. He owns the code of the mod. There is no Nintendo code on the mod.

Nintendo is a joke. I'd really like to support them but this kind of stuff makes it really hard.

If you were a company and someone was using your IP to make money without your consent, what would you do?

Taking down youtube vids wasn't needed, but we know Nintendo has an ass-backwards mindset when it comes to youtube and their property.

Kouriozan

Ah damn, I saw on his youtube channel Nintendo took down 2 of his video before, and interestingly it's only when he started doing Mario 64 online stuff, hmmm....
I understand why they took down his Patreon though.

nynt9

They can take down the videos because they show footage from a nintendo game (even though they're clearly transformative) but how do they take down the patreon? The guy is just distributing his code and he is not sharing any material or assets that belong to Nintendo.

MUnited83

For you.
If you were a company and someone was using your IP to make money without your consent, what would you do?

Taking down youtube vids wasn't needed, but we know Nintendo has an ass-backwards mindset when it comes to youtube and their property.
Lots of companies let fan artists and creator's have donation pages. Only asshole companies go after them.

orava

Agreed mostly on the patreon thing in it's current form. But he did not really distribute anything that nintedo actually owned or didn't actually sell anything. The software basically just edits memory at runtime. Including "super mario 64" in the name is a mistake though.

He should make the program more generic. "Rom Multiplayer Enabler". Maybe even add support to more games as a plugin type thing.

I will support him in any case though.

Nev

Banned
Nintendo, the most aggressively rigid company of them all, and somehow still regarded as the last hope of gaming, "they just want people to have fun" or whatever.

big_z

Nintendo is a joke. I'd really like to support them but this kind of stuff makes it really hard.

might want to read up on why companies do these type of take downs. there is a valid reason behind it and its not just a money thing.

faint.

might want to read up on why companies do these type of take downs. there is a valid reason behind it and its not just a money thing.

Don't waste your time, brother. GAF will forgive them when EAD announces their SM64 remake with online multiplayer.

orioto

Good Art™
The Patreon thing is interesting cause it's really a grey area here.. Technically a Patreon doesn't sell anything, but reward people who donate.

Now in most case, any claim or frighting mail sent by a copyright owner to patreon or any kind of site who hosts user content like that will have that immediate effect, without any need for legit legal action.

In that case the problem is pretty obvious. I mean the guy is developing basically a counterfeit of their own product.. Come on..

Renna Hazel

Nintendo, the most aggressively rigid company of them all, and somehow still regarded as the last hope of gaming, "they just want people to have fun" or whatever.

banning fan mods and youtube videos may be silly, but it's not really related to why people love Nintendo. I dunno about the last hope of gaming or whatever, but they're certainly one of the few companies that still maintains a gameplay first approach with their video games. That's a big deal for a lot of us.

Top Bottom