• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

crecente

What's your take on the controls? Is it a game that needs to be played with motion or is using a Pro Controller good enough?

Pro controller is absolutely fine. I tried it with both the Joy-Cons detached, one in each hand, and the pro controller. After a few minutes of play, I could hardly notice a difference.

Dyle

What's going on with that mirror? Mario is a vampire confirmed? Or does it prove that Cappy has possessed Mario's soulless husk of a body and that the Mario we know and love has actually been replaced by a monster haberdashery phantom?

Deepest lore indeed

Regarding the spoilers, I bet that
the Mushroom Kingdom is made of Peach's Castle from 64 faithfully recreated where every painting sends you to a small level reminiscent of the N64's levels with the same music/themes but with 1 or 2 moons in each.

Here comes the fear, the same fear I had with BOTW and it turned out to be true. Exploration over well designed linear gameplay sections. Focus on just collecting random stuff than actual challenging gameplay moments.

I loved Mario 64, but I liked galaxy more. And Mario 64 had plenty of hardcore platforming challenges. In 3 hours they say there is little to no platforming skill challenge that scares me.

Hopefully this won't disappoint me like zelda did but these previews are not easing my fears. I would have loved to see that in these big worlds they entered a bunch of challenging levels, so far that is not the case.

Korgill

will blow the minds of Super Mario 64 fans.

Hmm, new Mario game about a hat, Mario 64's best feature was a hat that let you fly...

Bob-Omb Battlefield is back!!!
Calling it here.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Peach's Castle confirmed.

Fully explorable, full of secrets?

3db.gif

From the Metro preview. oh shit

Not really a spoiler, but I'm gonna' tag it anyway.

"For each demo we had a Nintendo rep hovering over us, telling us when to stop and what we absolutely could not do or talk about. For example, portraits in each stage seem to work as quick portals between kingdoms, and one of them let us get a sneak peek at one that’s not yet announced. We can’t say what it is but it looks amazing, and will blow the minds of Super Mario 64 fans."

Give me this game.
If there's a
kingdom im going to lose my goddamn mind.

Wamb0wneD

Here comes the fear, the same fear I had with BOTW and it turned out to be true. Exploration over well designed linear gameplay sections. Focus on just collecting random stuff than actual challenging gameplay moments.

I loved Mario 64, but I liked galaxy more. And Mario 64 had plenty of hardcore platforming challenges. In 3 hours they say there is little to no platforming skill challenge that scares me.

Hopefully this won't disappoint me like zelda did but these previews are not easing my fears. I would have loved to see that in these big worlds they entered a bunch of challenging levels, so far that is not the case.

Isn't that always the case with earlier Mario levels? There was barely any skill involved in the first 64 levels as well, and you still progress throgh the game in a rather linear fashion, so later kingdoms having more demanding platforming sections isnt't something we should write off for now. Since galaxy it seems they know what endgame people want in their Mario games.

That wasn't really the main point of that post. It's
the unannounced kingdom that will blow the minds of Mario 64 fans

It's totally the
Mushroom Kingdom
which we already know exists, but the question then is how much of
Mario 64
is actually recreated in that?

Imagine if it's not just
Peach's Castle, but also several of the worlds from 64 too...

There are Void levels which are similar to those pure platforming levels from Sunshine.

It's totally the
Mushroom Kingdom
Mario 64

Imagine if it's not just

Perhaps it's gonna be like Banjoland from Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts in that it's a big mashup/tribute of old levels from Mario 64? That'd be neat.

Monumma

It's totally the
Mushroom Kingdom
Mario 64

Imagine if it's not just

whatever this is i dont think they are talking about the
isle that looks like a mushroom

They showed the press
3 worlds
and they cant talk or show 1 of those. What's more in the Kinda Funny video they let it slip that they are talking about
Cap Kingdom

They showed the press
3 worlds
and they cant talk or show 1 of those. What's more in the Kinda Funny video they let it slip that they are talking about
Cap Kingdom

We know the portraits connect various kingdoms together based on the Direct (Metro Kingdom portrait in the Sand Kingdom) so it's very possible there was a portrait that led to the
Mushroom Kingdom
, though they didn't know it was a separate kingdom at the time.

You're literally asking a 64-inspired game to not be a 64-inspired game. The focus on this game is not going to be linear platforming sections and we've known this since January. Koizumi has gone out of his way to state that this game is not like Galaxy.

entremet

Isn’t this a preview thread? Why the spoiler tags? Presumably those on blackout and such would avoid the thread, no?

Maxrunner

Really? ive died many times on BOTW and i think its a really good game too which makes me consider it a challenging game...no necessarily for its bosses but the general enemies can kill you easily...

It's totally the
Mushroom Kingdom
Mario 64

Imagine if it's not just

There are Void levels which are similar to those pure platforming levels from Sunshine.

Oh thank god.

To be fair it looks like this game has way more variety than BOTW, I doubt it will do constant repetition like that game did. So I am still very optimistic.

Really? ive died many times on BOTW and i think its a really good game too which makes me consider it a challenging game...no necessarily for its bosses but the general enemies can kill you easily...

I was describing what they were saying about Mario. Zelda was challenging finally, but it lacked dungeons and the interesting level design of past games.

I mean at this point it's obvious what you like and don't like, and what you don't like seems to be sandbox environments with characters that controll wonderfully with tons of things to see and do.

And that's fine, like BoTW, I imagine this game won't be for you. At least here, there are mini, smaller more condensed platforming sections.

But we know what the game as a whole will be like, you don't really need to "fear" anything. And we also really don't need more novella length essays about it, the crux of the issue is straightforward.

And we've had Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land AND 3D World, all within the last decade, you can't act as if you've not be satiated. Quite the opposite really, Nintendo have spoilt fans of brilliant, tight, linear platformers for the last 10 years. Not even bothering to list all the 2D ones because then it just gets ridiculous.

Now it's just a new direction. And it looks amazing.

Platy

Regarding the spoilers, I bet that
the Mushroom Kingdom is made of Peach's Castle from 64 faithfully recreated where every painting sends you to a small level reminiscent of the N64's levels with the same music/themes but with 1 or 2 moons in each.

While I really hope you are right, this is "How to be set for dissapointment : the post" =P

They showed the press
3 worlds
Cap Kingdom

I wanna clear this up a bit, since I was there and played it... the spoilers aren't anything that isn't in these previews.

We were shown three Kingdoms - the three you're seeing in these previews -
food, beach and cap themed. The cap one is more like a tutorial level, but I suspect you'll return there later in the game for a 'full' level.

Beyond that, however, this was a rather complete version of the game and so if people went off the beaten path they could see not-yet-revealed stuff, and that is under embargo.

In particular, one of the three worlds we're allowed to talk about today
features a Mario 64 style living painting thing that features an image of a world that's not announced. It seems like the game does this a lot - has hidden paintings that give you an enclosed glimpse at future worlds or lets you view worlds from a different angle, since another world featured a painting that showed New Donk City. The thing being teased is one of the paintings, but we can't say anything more about the paintings other than what I have.

Oh thank god.

To be fair it looks like this game has way more variety than BOTW, I doubt it will do constant repetition like that game did. So I am still very optimistic.

Here's a screenshot, should alleviate those fears: https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/2017010723393300-8aedff741e2d23fbed39474178692daf.jpg?w=480&h=270&crop=1

I dunno if there are people in here who don't want to be spoiled on some things so I'm putting it in as a link instead of an embedded image.

Astral Dog

its not like 3D LAND/World were that challenging anyways, and remember the simplified controls in those games, Odyssey will be a fresh change of pace for the series/genre.with brand new mechanics dont be worried ;)

Monumma

I wanna clear this up a bit, since I was there and played it... the spoilers aren't anything that isn't in these previews.

We were shown three Kingdoms - the three you're seeing in these previews -
food, beach and cap themed. The cap one is more like a tutorial level, but I suspect you'll return there later in the game for a 'full' level.

Beyond that, however, this was a rather complete version of the game and so if people went off the beaten path they could see not-yet-revealed stuff, and that is under embargo.

In particular, one of the three worlds we're allowed to talk about today
features a Mario 64 style painting that features an image of a world that's not announced. It seems like the game does this a lot - has hidden paintings that give you an enclosed glimpse at future worlds, since another world featured a painting that showed New Donk City. The thing being teased is one of the paintings, but we can't say anything more about the paintings other than what I have.

Ok, so I was the one that got it wrong. Good to know, thanks for clarifying it. I guess it makes sense that the
painting takes you to the mushroom kingdom, and that the level is based on peach castle then

Only reading the blurbs in the OP (and the rest of this thread). This is the same level of prerelease info I did with BOTW and that was perfectly appropriate.

This is going to be a really special game.

Top Bottom