• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: The Forza 7 PC pre-load is an utter mess

How can the Windows Store still be such a mess - this has been going on basically since forever, hasn't it? How can a small company like CD Projekt launch one of the best stores on PC while a massive company like Microsoft still can't get it right after, what, nearly ten years of trying to make a viable PC download store?!

Hey at least you'll be able to buy hardware in the Windows Microsoft Store soon!

WindowsStore-1-06951cea42aa3476.jpg

How fast to download ram from MS hardware store?

LordRaptor

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if incremental additive downloading / file diff is deliberately disabled as part of the UWA specification as a security measure against mitm attacks.

The purpose is to get people into the UWP app ecosystem. Steam does not allow these, you must deliver your game as a win32 program. Microsoft considers win32 deprecated, but the way things are going it's not going away any time soon.

Its actually the other way around; Steam allows basically anything, there are multiple titles that are Flash, or HTML, or Java.
Its the Windows appstore that requires things to be UWA.
Steam doesn't have any mandate about what format your game comes in outside of it working.

If someone really wanted to make a UWA and put it on Steam, they easily could.
Nobody particularly wants to.

Currently on my third attempt at pre-loading Forza 7. Both previous attempts failed on attempting to resume after pausing it. Considering that we're talking about 95Gbs here, not being able to pause the download is a bit of a problem.

c0de

The store reaaally is a mess. It takes ages sometimes to update the store apps - they seem to start but only download around 800kb and then stall for minutes. Sometimes it ends up being updated, sometimes I get an error and have to trigger the update again. In 2017.

Domstercool

It's a shame this keeps happening.

Thankfully, for me, Forza 7 downloaded without any issues last night when it auto kicked off the pre-load.

Durante

Wait for //build/
You stole my post :p

Its actually the other way around; Steam allows basically anything, there are multiple titles that are Flash, or HTML, or Java.
Its the Windows appstore that requires things to be UWA.
Steam doesn't have any mandate about what format your game comes in outside of it working.

If someone really wanted to make a UWA and put it on Steam, they easily could.
Nobody particularly wants to.
That's an important point to clarify. Steam lets developers mostly do whatever they want. No one wants to make a UWP game.

Vidal

I'm really starting to think it is "intentional", in the sense:

yes, it is all available for PC, just get it! Oh, and by the way, On the Xbox One X everything actually works!

Qassim

yes, it is all available for PC, just get it! Oh, and by the way, On the Xbox One X everything actually works!

This is a stupid theory for so, so many reasons.

KageMaru

How is shit like this still happening after all this time?! They have some of the best engineers in the world but can't bring the store up to standards?

Probably UWP issue... not Forza 7.

How anybody can buy games in this shit is out of my mind.

I've never once ran into issues with the store, so I have no issues buying from it. Though if I ever run into issues described here and elsewhere, I know I'd be incredibly frustrated and could cause hesitation with future purchases.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

It's to force those having problems to buy a XBO/XBOX and play first there ;)

shandy706

I have an Xbox One, a gaming PC, and an Xbox One X heading my way.

I'm not sure if I'll start my Forza 7 career until the One X gets here. Although, my PC is certainly capable of doing 4K Forza 7.

LordRaptor

How is shit like this still happening after all this time?! They have some of the best engineers in the world but can't bring the store up to standards?

I've said it before, but I think the blame lies at the feet of the people who decided to put high performance desktop software in an untested application format on a mobile app store, not the people who built the mobile appstore that they were asked to build.

KageMaru

I've said it before, but I think the blame lies at the feet of the people who decided to put high performance desktop software in an untested application format on a mobile app store, not the people who built the mobile appstore that they were asked to build.

I'm not sure that's really the problem. If that were the case, I shouldn't be able to consistently download 50-100GB games without issue (so far). I understand there being issues with a new format and new store, we saw issues with other stores early on with established formats. However Windows 10 has been out for more than 2 years and people are still experiencing issues like this. That's where I'm shaking my head wondering how this is possible.

rrs

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if incremental additive downloading / file diff is deliberately disabled as part of the UWA specification as a security measure against mitm attacks.
even so, the game is most likely in a bunch of files like FH3, just per file encrypted to unbreakable levels. It still can't explain why the store keeps choking for a noticeable number of users.

dmix90

At this point i wonder if that's their problem lol. Windows store is an over-engineered PoS built on an over-engineered PoS API's and instead of starting from scratch they will build even more PoS API's on top of existing ones in an attempt to fix original issues...

Mivey

If UWP is supposed to be a successor to Win32, then shouldn't it set a base minimum goal of being as easy to use, as resilient and plain and simple "just work"?
It's not up to consumers to accept bad software, because Microsoft has to reinvent the wheel. Look at a good (well, better at least) OS: Most Linux operating systems have switched to a more secure sandboxing environment, without having to rewrite everything in a new API. Sure, it does take some work, but it's additive. And from I gather, with Wayland support growing, close to "done" at this point.
At the same time, Windows 10 keeps breaking basic things for this all the time, and even with a tool that helps to transform Win32 into UWP, I don't see any big push from 3 parties (think browsers, production tools, and so forth) offering UWP versions. Having a well functioning store, with a central working update mechanism would help bring Windows to the 21 century. But alas.

OmegaDL50

Well I'm almost done.

I had a few issues though. I believe I found the trick with the downloads error-ing out.

Hitting the restart button (round circular thing) does absolutely nothing. It will attempt to resume where it left off and error out again.

The trick is to hit the X and close out the download. Then go into the store for the game. And pick the option Update.

It will then say "Working", close it out then re-open the store for the Game Page and it will start the download. It will APPEAR to start the download from 0, however this is not the case. It is actually scanning your HDD for currently downloaded portions and doing a file verification. This can take some time depending on how much you downloaded but it will resume where you left off. It was verifying the download in chunks of 1GB at a time.

It eventually resumed and as of me finishing my post I download just finished a few seconds ago. I hope this info is useful and works for you as it did for me.

LordRaptor

even so, the game is most likely in a bunch of files like FH3, just per file encrypted to unbreakable levels. It still can't explain why the store keeps choking for a noticeable number of users.

I assume because whats downloaded from the appstore is a compiled package, not individual files, and the 'install' step unpackages to individual files.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I bought a blu-ray drive about 5 years back because I predicted this trend of 40+ gig games (let alone 100+ gigs, damn!), but knew that ISPs would not keep up with bandwidth demands (I'm in Canada, lol), but thought that at the very least that publishers would offer physical versions.

How wrong I was.

What I really hate is this trend of putting a game on one disc, but making people DL what would be another disc's worth of content. There was no problem releasing multi-disc games in the PSX era.

The cost of packaging, shipping, and retail space is high, but the cost of putting a second BR disc in there is negligible compared to that because the packaging, shipping, and retail space is almost exactly the same. A slightly different case and slightly more weight -and yet they never do it. Is burning 2x the discs that much more expensive than the bandwidth and server costs to send out that data?

Skyr

I have an Xbox One, a gaming PC, and an Xbox One X heading my way.

I'm not sure if I'll start my Forza 7 career until the One X gets here. Although, my PC is certainly capable of doing 4K Forza 7.

Might aswell try? It's crossbuy anyway so you can just continue on the one x if you are unsatisfied on PC.

I feel like the windows store doesn't just download files it's somehow binding itself to windows so much that if one of those 100 ties is iffy it will bring the whole thing down, and a lot of this windows stuff is out of the hands of the user.

If the windows store just downloaded files without having to register downloaded packages, tie everything to your gamertag and also incrypt itself into the app work bench it would be 100 times better off but Microsoft want total control, they want to be in charge of everything even your rights to running the app you just paid for all the way down to its bones.

In short, don't support this behaviour in any way.

Mrbob

They designed the windows store for small apps, not fully fledged programs and games like this. They are now shoehorning these games onto the Windows store instead of building a new one that is actually designed to handle applications of this size.
True, but how long does this take to fix? I heard about this reason last year with Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 download issues. At some point you have to start wondering how big a priority this is for MS.

That's a hilariously bad excuse. How short sighted can you be?
Very. Testers informed them the Store was broke two years ago.

Any downloads download to the primary drive before installing to the install drive.

If you install it to a primary drive, then move it a data drive, on update, it will spit out an error code.

This stuff has been reported but they are too busy making junk like My People and Punished Skype.

Blam

If you guys are having this many problems downloading you can use Fiddler to get the link of the game while it's downloading and use that to install and this allows you to just download it through whatever is most convenient, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

OmegaDL50

If you guys are having this many problems downloading you can use Fiddler to get the link of the game while it's downloading and use that to install and this allows you to just download it through whatever is most convenient, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

I never knew about this. Will probably try this for the next major MS release instead of fidding around like I did on the Windows Store.

rrs

The cost of packaging, shipping, and retail space is high, but the cost of putting a second BR disc in there is negligible compared to that because the packaging, shipping, and retail space is almost exactly the same. A slightly different case and slightly more weight -and yet they never do it. Is burning 2x the discs that much more expensive than the bandwidth and server costs to send out that data?
Yes, 50 GB of data costs <$2 in server and bandwidth

TikeMyson

Today in my break I started the download a fourth time. Wondering if I see an error when I come back from work in about an hour...
I paid 100 € to play this fucking game on friday with some extras. If this doens't work till tonight I'm trying to refund it and buy Project Cars 2. Because if it doesn't work later today there's no way I can finish a 100GB download with my bad 16 Mbit connection till friday.

Kiraly

I am not buying this game because of Windows Store.

Fuck you Microsoft for the biggest piece of shit software I have ever had the displeasure of trying to use.

It's completely insane to me that they sill don't have these kind of problems under control. The Windows Store has been around since 2012 for consumers and 5 years later it's still a mess, because they didn't have the foresight to deliver huge applications like this through that channel. How was this not on your road map since day 1, if the plan was to replace Win32 with Metro/Modern/UWP apps?

They designed the windows store for small apps, not fully fledged programs and games like this. They are now shoehorning these games onto the Windows store instead of building a new one that is actually designed to handle applications of this size.

I don't think this is entirely true, the platform/store at first may supported only small apps, but that was a self-imposed limit that Ms lifted a couple times (until removing it completely) as soon as they were delivering platform features to support big packages.

But even small apps sometimes error during update/install, for instance, not even a week ago there was a widespread issue for many that couldn't install or update some apps: https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/09/22/unable-update-windows-store-apps-windows-10-mobile-pc/. And that's not even exclusive to PC, I also had once or twice trouble updating apps on xbone as well.

It's absolutely ridiculous that something like that still happens after all this time, at the very least there's some way to break the store even if the user isn't actively trying to mess with it, and this absolutely shouldn't be happening, nor it should take that long to fix. But, it doesn't seem to be because of the size of the package, more like just a consequence of being in download for a longer time and get more exposure time to bugs and whatnot.

AlStrong

Any downloads download to the primary drive before installing to the install drive.
That seems an odd oversight if the primary drive has no space but plenty on the other drives.

If you install it to a primary drive, then move it a data drive, on update, it will spit out an error code.

hm... just anecdotal evidence on my part, but I recently swapped out my primary drive (cloned to new one) and then moved Gears 4 to the secondary, and it still works fine?

Usually when I get issues with the WinStore, I just clear out the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Maybe they ought to make the Store Reset button an actual feature within the Store App (currently just in the Windows Settings -> Apps -> Store -> Advanced Options).

Top Bottom