• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Latveria crap compared to Wakanda

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
most comic book fans, i assume, would agree that Victor has an overall greater mind than T'challa

so why is Latveria a 3rd world country compared to Wakanda? i never got this

does Doom not care?

Well Latveria is based on the actual country of Latvia which isnt a very rich/developed country.

Wakanda is just pure fantasy, i'm not 100% sure but I would be surprised if anywhere outside of Arab Africa is more developed than Eastern Europe so it makes sense they would turn the fantasy level up to an obscene level.

IIRC the social reason is because Doom deliberately keeps Latveria as a feudal society. Both because it keeps the place easier to control and as a way of maintaining it's culture and history.

Also it's a bit of a misnomer to suggest that Latveria is awful. I mean, it's not the best, but it's no worse than any other Eastern European country and honestly probably better than a lot of them. Hardly any pollution, universal education and health care. It's even pretty wealthy relative to it's size. The problem is that it's all in the service to Doom and subject to his whims.

LordRaptor

Yeah, its because Wakanda is vibranium rich and Latveria is Estonia-level rich.

If you want Vibranium in the MU, you're either getting shitty low quality antarctic vibranium with a risk of being eaten by dinosaurs, or paying top dollar for primo wakandan vibranium.

tkscz

It's a reflection of their leaders.

Only if you count the older comics. Not too long ago T'Challa was quite an awful person, even got banned and his sister took over. While Doom loves the shit out of his people and would do anything for them. Latvarians legit love Victor. Which bugged the shit out of me when they claimed recently there were no schools or hospitals in Latvaria. I get that after Doom left there was war for who'd rule Latvaria, but they made it seem like Doom left them with nothing, when he would give them all he could.

No it comes down to resources. Because of Dooms self image, places never want to do trade with him, thus his people live on what they have. Wakanda has vibranium and advanced tech because of vibranium. I would bring up Atlantis, but someone committed genocide on them after the events of AvX.

Yeah, its because Wakanda is vibranium rich and Latveria is Estonia-level rich.

If you want Vibranium in the MU, you're either getting shitty low quality antarctic vibranium with a risk of being eaten by dinosaurs, or paying top dollar for primo wakandan vibranium.

Sense when was the antarctic virbanium considered crap?

LordRaptor

Sense when was the antarctic virbanium considered crap?

Wakandan vibranium can absorb and dampen varying types of energy - like, the industrial applications alone for that are huge.
Antarctic vibranium IIRC does that for a bit, but then dissolves any nearby metal.

not so generally useful.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
So is it true that alot of Wakanda's success is a result of luck

that a rare alien material happened to land in their country?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
If you consider it luck to resist colonization, protect resources and invest correctly while isolating from the world

So, no

right...............but also having an alien material helps as well

generally speaking isolationist civilizations don't really develop as much as those in contact with others

but its works differently in comic book world

Latveria a 3rd world country ?

IIRC Latveria is a country with a god emperor (Doom) but there are no problems other than it´s leader, i mean, in Fantastic Four comics, the country is very gloomy, but there is no:

- Poverty
- Famine
- Unemployment
- Although it look like a feudal state, there´s actually very high tech in the country (mainly used by Doom )
- The population (save for the more younger generation) really like their hard but fair leader.
- Rampart/crazy mutants

You just have to make sure you are not one of his castle technicians, other than that your would be very glad to live there.

Also, there was the unusual alien/cosmic entity that Doom would lure to try steal it´s powers (almost levelling the country in the process) but it would be for the greater good.

right...............but also having an alien material helps as well

generally speaking isolationist civilizations don't really develop as much as those in contact with others

but its works differently in comic book world

No shit its comics. The same reason Doom is a sorcerer super scientist who travels to hell to rescue his mother’s soul, extraterrestrial metals tend to fall out of the sky into isolated countries

Honestly I think Doom loves his people more

Someone should do a political intrigue thriller centered on Latverian society. An interesting cast of Doom's advisers, aggressive foreign influence from traditionally 'heroic' groups, and a lot of plotlines centered on the minutiae Doom deals with while also holding off the most powerful entities in Marvel and the support staff that allows him to do so would be exactly my jam.

Top Bottom