• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My oldest credit cards closed due to no activity. 15 years of built up credit gone.

LQX

I received notices that two of the first cards I ever applied for were closed due to no activity for two years. They did not even send me any pre-notices and they were not due to expire until years from now. Over the years I got better cards that offered better incentives so I neglected using them and sort of designated them for emergency use. They were close to 15 years old and had tens of thousands of credit on them. I did not think it would hurt this bad seeing as how I really don't need them, but them being closed sort of hit me in the gut and I imagine it will also hit my credit score which is over 800.

I also called to get them reinstated and they said nope, but I can reapply for a new credit card. Never.

Yeah it’s a bit crummy that the act of closing a credit card will hurt a credit score. I have a very basic credit card with a low limit and no extra benefits that I opened up before college, but now its only purpose is to cover my Netflix bill.

$10.80 paid every month to that card just to keep it alive and to make sure it doesn’t hurt my credit. It is what it is I suppose.

Leunam

Chase closed my first ever credit card once the balance hit $0.00 after I paid it down. The limit was $500 and it was never raised but I still held onto the account until they closed it without warning. Like you I've gotten better credit cards since but I'm still pissed about losing my oldest account.

Yeah, I have small automatic subscriptions spread out over my credit cards so they are always in use. I would recommend something like that for any other cards you don't use regularly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've had cards I never used and never had that happen. Hell, I even lost the physical card for a long time.

Weird.

Sucks but yeah, they likely put something in an updated Terms notice they sent either when you first got the card or years later that they could close it after a period of time with no activity.

Happened to me on an old Best Buy card.

It won't hurt you at all in reality. My credit lines are considered "young" and still have a credit rating over 800, which is still higher than anyone needs.

That might not affect your credit much. It depends on 2 things:

1. How much did your total credit amount decrease from closing these 2 accounts
2. How much did the average age and the absolute age of your credit decrease.

If these cards didn't change those 2 factors by much, then you should not worry

cameron

"15 years of built up credit gone" is not true.

The hit, if any, on your credit score will probably be insignificant.

"15 years of built up credit gone" is not true.

The hit, if any, on your credit score will probably be trivial.

Everyone says this but its not necessarily true. If OP opened up say a new card 2 years ago and ditched his old card then he will take a decent hit. He is also losing tens of thousands of available credit which will have an effect as well.

hack646

The closed card will stay on your report for 10 years. I would be shocked if it significantly affects your credit score.

Wvrs

If it makes you feel better, my credit score is abysmal (like, sub-200), because I spent my earliest adult years in financial shit without any help from parents, was forced to get my own place when I was barely 17 years old, stayed in full-time education alongside working a job, and did what I could to survive in that time. It's gradually climbing up now because I've become a lot more savvy, and fortunately I'm now a recent graduate and just started earning a decent salary, but so far lack of credit has not really affected me too much. I'm not sure I even want a mortgage, and if I buy a house it'll be in a country where prices aren't absurd. I've never felt like I need a credit card, only have one now so I can get back in the green.

KHarvey16

The closed card will stay on your report for 10 years. I would be shocked if it significantly affects your credit score.

It will remain but the average age and open credit factors will reflect it being closed. If these cards counted as the large majority of the OP's credit history or open credit it will negatively impact the score.

And mine dropped a few points recently because I spread some purchases out on two cards I hardly ever use instead of adding to my primary one.

Fun.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am still scared to check my credit score - when I moved to the States in 1996 it was non existent, which is actually WORSE than a bad score. I had to slowly build it up over almost two decades. I'm pretty sure it's great now, but I always get irritated when I go to the "free credit score" site (the legit govt one, not the lookalike scam ones).

shockdude

I am still scared to check my credit score - when I moved to the States in 1996 it was non existent, which is actually WORSE than a bad score. I had to slowly build it up over almost two decades. I'm pretty sure it's great now, but I always get irritated when I go to the "free credit score" site (the legit govt one, not the lookalike scam ones).
Some credit cards offer legit credit score reports, look into that.

A lot of credit cards and banks will just give you your actual credit score from one or all three bureaus. It's a jolly candy-like button on Amex's site next to your balance, for example. You don't really have to do an end-run around for a "free credit report" or go looking through sketchy sites anymore.

My credit score is constantly around 780 and I'm so annoyed that nothing I can do is getting it over 800. I think it's because of my car loan.

I pay it off weekly. Not just monthly, every week! I have two cards with over 10,000 of credit on each one. My credit score constantly swings up and down by like 15 points but never cracks 790.

It's extremely frustrating but, also, pointless.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Use Credit Karma to get a free Vantage score that's refreshed weekly.
Discover and some Citibank cards get you a free official FICO score with your statement each month.

The govt site is just to get your free credit report from the 3 providers.
I grab one every 4 months alternating the providers. As I'm sure you noticed, you can also pay to get the FICO score for like 8 bucks, or just get it for free from the cards I mentioned earlier.

I know nothing about credit and using a credit card, I just pay mine off when I have to. The idea that closing a card effects your score negatively is strange to me.

SeanC

My oldest has about a 4k limit but I buy something or pay for dinner on it every few months and pay it off to keep it active. Had it forever. I have way better cards now with cashback and all so as much as I want to get rid of it, I can't.

I'm 30 and have never had a credit card. What should I do?

Yup. Specifically, get a points rewards card so you get paid for using it.

Amazon's gives you 5% back on purchases there, for instance.

Probably won't get a rewards card with no credit history.

I work in banking and I'll tell you what I tell everyone who is new to credit: Use it for needs and pay it off every month. If you're just looking to establish some credit maybe use it for gas or groceries and pay it off. Make sure you don't exceed 50% of your limit, that'll knock your score down quick, but simply paying enough to drop it below 50% picks it up.

As for the OP, it sucks that they closed them on you, but even still you should be fine. 800+ is a very high score and I imagine you have a long history of credit to your name so it shouldn't hurt you much, if at all. Even if your score dips below 800 it shouldn't impact future loans/cards or the rates. A score in the high 700s is still excellent.

EDIT: I would be upset about losing the large limit, though. Not just for the ratios, but also because it's nice to know you have a cushion in case an emergency crops up. I have an older credit card that I rarely use, I just have a monthly subscription tied to it and pay it every month just to prevent the card from being closed.

I know nothing about credit and using a credit card, I just pay mine off when I have to. The idea that closing a card effects your score negatively is strange to me.

You can close, or have cards, closed. The issue is your first card is the start of your credit history. Once it falls off your report it looks like you didn't start establishing credit until the next oldest one was opened. The rule of thumb is you should never close your first card. It won't make a huge difference if you've been using credit for other things. Like Credit Cards, Auto Loans, Mortgages, etc.

It's not closing the card itself that will fuck your credit score, it's the act of lowering your overall available credit. Credit to debt ratio is a fairly important factor in determining your score. So now with those cards closed, his debt ratio goes up, potentially lowering the credit score.

The age of your credit is a big factor though too, so that should soften the blow big time. I doubt you have too much to worry about OP.

Drensch

CC companies do that. That's why you should try to grab a cup of coffee or whatever once in awhile, just to keep the card active. Or put something like Netflix on it.

Aselith

Yeah it’s a bit crummy that the act of closing a credit card will hurt a credit score. I have a very basic credit card with a low limit and no extra benefits that I opened up before college, but now its only purpose is to cover my Netflix bill.

$10.80 paid every month to that card just to keep it alive and to make sure it doesn’t hurt my credit. It is what it is I suppose.

It's not closing it that affects it, it's because it's based on the age of your oldest card partially. A more recent card wouldn't have effected except lowering available credit.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!

Hate to be a broken record, but just reiterating some of the points others have made.

My Discover, American Express, and First National Bank of Omaha cards have credit scores built into them, and Chase has a separate account you use to check credit scores, pleas there's both Credit Karma and Credit Sesame as well, all of those free. They might give you differing scores because they use different scoring models, but it'll give you a good idea of where you're at.

I've had one closed due to inactivity after a couple years but I already had a better card and didn't need want to close it myself. I still had a much longer history with another card anyway.

sangreal

It will remain but the average age and open credit factors will reflect it being closed. If these cards counted as the large majority of the OP's credit history or open credit it will negatively impact the score.

FICO doesn't differentiate between open and closed accounts for average age

VantageScore does but who cares

Joni

Great system. You only get better credit by spending more money. That guy must be patting himself on the back.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A lot of credit cards and banks will just give you your actual credit score from one or all three bureaus. It's a jolly candy-like button on Amex's site next to your balance, for example. You don't really have to do an end-run around for a "free credit report" or go looking through sketchy sites anymore.

Huh. Not seeing it on my statement. Corporate card mind you. But it's my credit affected by it.

I don't think losing those accounts will hurt you much just based on their age. However the loss in the amount of available credit might hurt.

cakely

It was my understanding that open, unused credit actually counts against your credit score.

So, maybe this is a good thing? I wouldn't sweat it.

You should be able to call your banks and request to increase the credit limit on your existing cards to try to push your total credit close to where it was. That is probably the most you can do to minimize the hit to your credit at this point.

I need to get around to do this just to push average utilization down. Stuck in the low 800s because of it.

Top Bottom