• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Roto13

Just might break my rules of buying games I already have on cartridge, for Ecco.

Does anyone know if it's going to be as ludicrously unfairly difficult as the genesis version?

Unless you turn on Super Dolphin mode, which makes you an invincible fish who doesn't need air.

I'm not only amazed by the port quality of 3D Sonic, but also from the fun I'm having with this game after all these years! It's probably the first game I've ever played in my life and yet I'm not coming back to this game as much as I do for Mario or other old gems. I sucks to say that retro games were better than most modern games but when I play things like Sonic... just wow.

I'm not only amazed by the port quality of 3D Sonic, but also from the fun I'm having with this game after all these years! It's probably the first game I've ever played in my life and yet I'm not coming back to this game as much as I do for Mario or other old gems. I sucks to say that retro games were better than most modern games but when I play things like Sonic... just wow.

It is great. I will go nuts if they announce Sonic 2 in this series....one of my favorite games.

IronLich

Holy shit. Playing through Galaxy Force II for the first time. Went in on full 3D. Big mistake. The 3D in that game is too good. Quite dizzying. But that game certainly has its place in arcade history.

AmyS

Many of you are going to need to spend some time in the settings screen to get the controls and screen settings to work to your liking for Galaxy Force II, especially when using the Circle Pad Pro (which is fucking awesome for GFII).

Adjusting things might be confusing but the options that you have seem to be well thought out. There's a little trial & error involved with what combination of control & screen settings are best but I pretty much got things to where I want them. There's something for everyone when it comes to control options.

Still testings things out and unfortunately I would not be the best person to write a little FAQ for the GFII controls but if I find one that someone else does, or links to, I'll edit this post and put it here.

Anyway, 60fps SEGA Super-Scalar rotation & scaling PLUS Nintendo 3DS parallax barrier autostereoscopic 3D ?
It's like SEGA & Nintendo got married then a child together. M2 introduced the two to each other.

Congrats. LOL Awesome.

Empty

Holy shit. Playing through Galaxy Force II for the first time. Went in on full 3D. Big mistake. The 3D in that game is too good. Quite dizzying. But that game certainly has its place in arcade history.

yeah normally i have the 3d turned on full for everything as i'm not really sensitive to it but galaxy force is so intense i kinda had to tone it down as it was hurting my brain.

All these Galaxy Force posts are getting me so HYPE! Can't play it for another couple of hours but keep it up guys!

Are you sure? I only see options to change the entire game sound (music and sound effects) or the separate arcade noises.

Haha wow you're right!
Clearly I can't read so I guess I just assumed one was for effects... and somehow convinced myself the effects had changed...?
I guess I just got used to it eventually but you're right, a separate option for effects would've been nice.

I've played Sonic and Space Harrier, is Galaxy force definitely worth it? I definitely prefer Sonic to SH, but GF looks absolutely mental, so I'm tempted.

Also after playing Sonic with 3D, I need Sonic 2. 3D just works amazingly well for 2D games like this.

AmyS

I've played Sonic and Space Harrier, is Galaxy force definitely worth it? I definitely prefer Sonic to SH, but GF looks absolutely mental, so I'm tempted.

Also after playing Sonic with 3D, I need Sonic 2. 3D just works amazingly well for 2D games like this.

I have 3D Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Altered Beast and now Galaxy Force II.

3D Space Harrier, as an auto-stereoscopic version of the 1985 coin-op arcde game is awesome, but as a game in general, I like Galaxy Force II a lot more than Space Harrier. The same for Super Hang-On as well as After Burner II, ( 3D AB II is coming to the Japanese eShop on Dec 18th) You really ought to buy 3D Super Hang-On because it's so awesome.

I was pretty disappointed with 3D Altered Beast because, first of all, it is based on the MegaDrive / Genesis console version, not the System 16 arcade, and it does not have a very good auto stereoscopic 3D effect outside of the console version's parallax scrolling layered backgrounds, which according to the interview were added to for 3DS but so far I don't see any extra layers. So I'm not sure if I should buy 3D Sonic The Hedgehog right now because I question whether or not its 3D effect makes it worthwhile, since it too runs on M2's MegaDrive emulator, called GigaDrive, funnily enough, the codename for Saturn in 1991-92. That said, I'll have to buy Sonic eventually anyway to show my support for SEGA and M2 (I want 3D After Burner II and whatever other games are gonna be part of that second series) but I dunno if I'll end up spending a lot of time with it.

3D Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and Galaxy Force II are all worth $5.99 / €4.99 / £4.49 a piece.

I have 3D Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and now Galaxy Force II.

3D Space Harrier, as an auto-stereoscopic version of the 1985 coin-op arcde game is awesome, but as a game in general, I like Galaxy Force II a lot more than Space Harrier. The same for Super Hang-On as well as After Burner II, ( 3D AB II is coming to the Japanese eShop on Dec 18th) You really ought to buy 3D Super Hang-On because it's so awesome.

I have 3D Altered Beast but because it is based on the MegaDrive / Genesis version, not the System 16 arcade, and does not have a very good auto stereoscopic 3D effect outside of the console version's parallax scrolling layered backgrounds, I'm not sure if I should buy 3D Sonic The Hedgehog right now because I question whether or not its 3D effect makes it worthwhile. I'll have to buy it eventually anyway to show my support for SEGA and M2 (I want 3D After Burner II and whatever others games are part of the second series) but I dunno if I'll end up spending a lot of time with it.

3D Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and Galaxy Force II are all worth $5.99 / €4.99 / £4.49 a piece.

I bought Sonic first and I was a bit dissapointed with the 3D, the port is amazing and the effect is still quite good. But in some stages like Marble Zone the effect is not really noticiable. Is still a good plataformer and it was one of my first games (also never completed it without cheatin) so I thing, overall, it was worth the money. Is also a bit cheaper so is ok, I guess.

Gagaman

I love how they keep joking about Thunder Blade in the interviews, and the part in the Galaxy Force II one about them considering re-creating the feeling of awkward eye contact with other people while playing the super DX machine. That bit is hysterical.

I am in love with how the Galaxy Force II port looks in 3D. Honestly makes this game far more playable than it was originally, especially in the cave sections. I own the Saturn port but that had a pretty low frame rate making it harder to play well. Glad they went for the enhanced graphics from the PS2 Sega Ages release as well.

I have 3D Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Altered Beast and now Galaxy Force II.

I was pretty disappointed with 3D Altered Beast but because, first of all, it is based on the MegaDrive / Genesis console version, not the System 16 arcade, and it does not have a very good auto stereoscopic 3D effect outside of the console version's parallax scrolling layered backgrounds, which according to the interview were added to for 3DS but so far I don't see any extra layers. So I'm not sure if I should buy 3D Sonic The Hedgehog right now because I question whether or not its 3D effect makes it worthwhile, since it too runs on M2's MegaDrive emulator. That said, I'll have to buy Sonic eventually anyway to show my support for SEGA and M2 (I want 3D After Burner II and whatever others games are part of the second series) but I dunno if I'll end up spending a lot of time with it.

Cool then, I'll definitely pick 'em up soon. Also for what it's worth I quite liked the 3D effect in Sonic, made the foreground a lot easier to distinguish from the backgrounds, which made the platforming feel more fluid. I think there' some 3D pictures on the store page, you should have a look at those to see what they're like. I definitely noticed a lot more details I never did the first time anyway, so it was well worth it for me.

AmyS

Is shinobi out in Europe? Couldn't find it on the eshop

Announcing Prices and Release Dates for SEGA 3D Classics on Nintendo 3DS

Each of these titles will be priced at $5.99/€4.99/£4.49 and available for download in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. Release dates for the titles are as follows:

3D Space Harrier, 3D Super Hang-On – 11/28/2013
3D Sonic The Hedgehog, 3D Altered Beast – 12/5/2013
3D Ecco the Dolphin™, 3D Galaxy Force II – 12/12/2013
3D Shinobi III, 3D Streets of Rage – 12/19/2013

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/10/30/an...e-dates-for-sega-3d-classics-on-nintendo-3ds/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, how good is galaxy force? During the fortress parts it's practically creating a full 3D level for you to fly through just out of a few scaled sprites (ok, a lot of scaled sprites). Is this the high mark of what sega did with this tech?

I'm two thirds of the way reading the interview for 3D Galaxy Force II and my mind had already been blown multiple times. M2 are gods.

Slermy

I love how they keep joking about Thunder Blade in the interviews, and the part in the Galaxy Force II one about them considering re-creating the feeling of awkward eye contact with other people while playing the super DX machine. That bit is hysterical.

I am in love with how the Galaxy Force II port looks in 3D. Honestly makes this game far more playable than it was originally, especially in the cave sections. I own the Saturn port but that had a pretty low frame rate making it harder to play well. Glad they went for the enhanced graphics from the PS2 Sega Ages release as well.

I have the PS2 release and love it to death; Totally didn't draw the link that M2 handled both ports, so of course this one should have all of the features of that one as well. Can't wait to go home and download it!

Downloading Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II as I type this.

I may get Streets of Rage at some point, but eh, right now I'm good with these two.

Bring on season two (and OutRun).

Ugh, can't buy from US eShop... I bought Sonic from a $6 previous balance I had (which I can't remember how I got it), but now I tried to buy Super Hang-On and it wouldn't take my credit card.

Anyone know if the games are out on the Brazil eShop and how much are they?

GooeyHeat

Everything except Streets of Rage. SoR2 is great, SoR1 feels like a euro PC bootleg of Final Fight or something. The music is great, though.
Are you seriously recommending Altered Beast over Streets of Rage?
Streets of Rage is a competent beat-em-up with incredible music. 2 is much better gameplay-wise, but 1 is absolutely still worth it.
Altered Beast's only redeeming qualities are the hilariously low-quality voice samples and the slightly homoerotic "more power = less clothing" system, both of which can be experienced on Youtube.

CLEEK

Despite growing up with access to a bunch of arcades which had most of the main Sega cabinets, I've never encountered Galaxy Force II before. Either in the arcade or as a port.

It's really good. Incredible what they could do with the sprite scaling tech in 1988. The variety in the stages is really something. The 3D in this version is sweet.

Roto13

Fun fact: Altered Beast is one of only a few games that has a lower entertainment-to-money-spent ratio than a movie. The game's only about 15 minutes long, if that.

Streets of Rage is still a decent brawler.

SOR2 is much better, though. Is kinda similar to Sonic situation. Sonic 1 is good, but Sonic 2 is probably the best one in the series. With SOR happens the same thing.

i'm playing galaxy force 2. it sure looks good. amazing sprite scaling. did starfox 64 steal its fire level from here.

i'm not sure what i'm doing though. how are you supposed to use the touch screen throttle and steer with the pad and shoot? also how do you manage the energy bar?
I've put vulcan fire on auto and switched missiles to Y, also putting deceleration on B for thumb toggle (this is all in Neo-Classic widescreen, too). The 3D effect is immense in this port, and figuring out the best control scheme is equally satisfying. That first level alone is one of the greatest I've ever played in an arcade game, constantly building on the score-attacking and level navigation in a way that demands one's utmost concentration. Can't wait for the next four planets!

Horii's a soul mate of mine: I like Super Thunder Blade a good deal, so it'd be great to finally play a superior port of the arcade original. That whole interview is gold, easily the most playful, interesting, and essential out of the series so far. I'd grab a beer with Okunari...

Damn, how good is galaxy force? During the fortress parts it's practically creating a full 3D level for you to fly through just out of a few scaled sprites (ok, a lot of scaled sprites). Is this the high mark of what sega did with this tech?
System 32 goes fucking overboard with layering sprites this way, one example being Jurassic Park in 1992. It's an amazing aesthetic because of how it defies expectations; players normally seeing sprites on a single plane in detail instead scroll by into 3D space too damn quickly to fully process. This gives GFII an really dense aesthetic that works well to this day. I'm not sure if it's possible given what lengths M2's gone to for this title (ignoring sound emulation/using streaming to save processing), but Outrunners would be the holy grail of 3D ports. Even Rad Mobile is ambitious because the road itself's made out of individual sprites for depth, not simply a flat ground surface like in Outrun and SHO.

Check out the Miiverse communities for GFII and Ecco, as people have been posting 3D screenshots (If they have the 3D enabled). Even in the screenshots, GFII's 3D effect looks amazing.

robot

Streets of Rage is still a decent brawler.

SOR2 is much better, though. Is kinda similar to Sonic situation. Sonic 1 is good, but Sonic 2 is probably the best one in the series. With SOR happens the same thing.

I love Street of Rage 2 but I'm glad they're releasing the 1st. Sega always jumped right into the sequel when doing rereleases, I haven't played the original in a loooong time.

bjork

Are you seriously recommending Altered Beast over Streets of Rage?
Streets of Rage is a competent beat-em-up with incredible music. 2 is much better gameplay-wise, but 1 is absolutely still worth it.
Altered Beast's only redeeming qualities are the hilariously low-quality voice samples and the slightly homoerotic "more power = less clothing" system, both of which can be experienced on Youtube.

They're about on an even level, tbh. Youtube experience doesn't really matter, because you could do that with any game ever.

CLEEK

So glad people get to experience the amazingness of Galaxy Force II in 3D. Said it before, and I'll say it again: Best display of 3D on the 3DS by far.

Top Bottom