• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tretton: PS4 Announcement This Year Would Be Distracting, PS3 Just Hitting Its Stride

2010 Hardware shipments: 14.4 million
2011 Hardware shipments: 14.1 million

I guess he didn't say if they were striding backwards or forwards.

Well, he cant say - Guys, we are announcing PS4 later this year -
So, consumers will stop buying PS3. I still expect it to be revealed, maybe at TGS.

Mengetsu

I don't think it matters as much for Sony.

As long as Microsoft goes, that puts some level of pressure on Nintendo, which is all announcements this far out are really meant to do.

This. Honestly at this point I think Sony and MS are not threatened at all by the WiiU. They see Nintendo playing catch up to current gen. Best believe we won't see announcements for "Next Gen" consoles until E3 2013 or late 2013. Companies are still making games for the current gen while a very small percentage may have dev kits/final specs ready to go to start working on launch games for them.

This. Honestly at this point I think Sony and MS are not threatened at all by the WiiU. They see Nintendo playing catch up to current gen. Best believe we won't see announcements for "Next Gen" consoles until E3 2013 or late 2013. Companies are still making games for the current gen while a very small percentage may have dev kits/final specs ready to go to start working on launch games for them.

No way. Both Micro and Sony will have their next system out by holidays 2013. The Wii U isnt getting more than a year head start.

Guevara

220px-Left_Behind_DVD_cover.jpg

DarkPanda

PS3: It only does everything (including hitting its stride every year!)

Microsoft needs the year lead on Sony, otherwise if pricing is equal Sony will regain #1. I fully expect full xbox 3 announcement at e3 with possible playable games on the floor and fall 2012 launch. They know they need to get out before PS4 hits.

Not really MS is going into next gen very strong and if they continue with the same tactics they used this gen (super aggressive moneyhatting) plus make Kinect 2 standard, Sony will have to do a lot more than just match the price of Xbox3 to be on equal footing.

Apeopleman

Doesnt this make some people glad? I dont want to to have to dish god knows what price they ask for for the ps4.

I want to see at least God of war 4, Final Fantasy 13 vs, Jak 4, and yeah Kingdom Hearts 3 all come put before ps4 is even anounced. Call me a dreamer.

Strike

This is news? They're still dealing with the launch of the Vita. There's no reason to expect anything from them or Microsoft until next year.

thuway

This is all pissing in the wind. Launching six to twelve months after the Xbox Version 3 would be suicide. Vita is amazing, but I want Sony to listen loud and clear to me:

They need to offer the end user a compelling reason to buy both the PS4 and the Vita. Both consoles need to be interlinked the likes never seen before. Give me some fucking Remote Play, Cross Play, Transfarring, Wii U-Esque Support, and every goddamn feature under the sun.

Oh and one more thing - price drop the Vita by atleast 100 dollars in a year. Vita + PS4 = Sold as a unit, is essential to the PlayStation Ecosystem.

Strider_Hiryu_(character).jpg

Clearly the Playstation 3 will *stop* hitting it's Stride when Capcom actually get around to making a Strider game for it.

BELIEVE.

I just cant see them giving more than a year head start to both Nintendo and possibly Microsoft for the new gen.

Didn't some other Sony bigwig (might've been Hirai) say that they really don't want to be the last ones in the market this time around? Seems like that's exactly where they're headed if they're dragging their feet this much.

Honestly, I don't know what they're trying to accomplish. Come E3 people are going to have new-console fever right after Nintendo hypes everyone up with the WiiU, and Microsoft won't take long to have an answer. So Sony lost a ton of money with the PS3 and they're starting to make it back, good for them. But they're not going to get back in the black by sticking with what will be an outdated system in likely less than 2 years. They really should just cut their losses and start over again. Feels to me like Sony's waiting for that one big year where they'll sell gangbusters even though it's pretty obvious that's not going to happen anymore.

This is all pissing in the wind. Launching six to twelve months after the Xbox Version 3 would be suicide. Vita is amazing, but I want Sony to listen loud and clear to me:

They need to offer the end user a compelling reason to buy both the PS4 and the Vita. Both consoles need to be interlinked the likes never seen before. Give me some fucking Remote Play, Cross Play, Transfarring, Wii U-Esque Support, and every goddamn feature under the sun.

Oh and one more thing - price drop the Vita by atleast 100 dollars in a year. Vita + PS4 = Sold as a unit, is essential to the PlayStation Ecosystem.

Agreed with everything except the $100 drop. $50? Sure. But yea, waiting is suicide. Also, folks who dont want to buy the PS4 until 2015, nobody is forcing you to day one it. You do know that, right?

Sheikh

Banned
most important region??

SONY sold the most ps2s in the PAL region . PS3 sells almost 1.5x - 2x as much as x360 in the PAL region . Producers make more revenues from PAL region too. PS2 sold over 65m in the PAL region and i am sure PS3 will go close to that number when all is said and done

most important region for MS you meant? which is USA/NA - the only region where it sells the most and it sells very well there no doubt

an x360 arcade costs 200$ in US and around 150$ outside NA , as opposed to a 250$ ps3(at the least )

thuway

most important region??

SONY sold the most ps2s in the PAL region . PS3 sells almost 1.5x - 2x as much as x360 in the PAL region . Producers make more revenues from PAL region too. PS2 sold over 65m in the PAL region and i am sure PS3 will go close to that number when all is said and done

most important region for MS you meant? which is USA/NA - the only region where it sells the most and it sells very well there no doubt

an x360 arcade costs 200$ in US and around 150$ outside NA , as opposed to a 250$ ps3(at the least )

The difference is Sony dropped the ball so hard this generation, its not even funny. It will be very scary what MS can do. They can throw money around like no one's business. What Sony did to Sega, don't be surprised if MS does to Sony. I say this as a loyal PlayStation customer. Sony needs to stretch its wings as far as they can reach next-gen.

Which is why I think this Last of Us, God of War IV, Little Big Racers bit is pure stupidity. These games should have been launch window PS4. Missed opportunities.

Sony has some amazing studios, but they need to CRACK the whip.

i-Lo

Perhaps they should rename the the next Playstation, PSStrider. That way perhaps the donkey can at least finally eat the carrot that's been always at a distance no matter how many forward steps it took.

Which is why I think this Last of Us, God of War IV, Little Big Racers bit is pure stupidity. These games should have been launch window PS4. Missed opportunities. [/B]

Dont agree with LoU. Generally the first game in a franchise is the weakest in terms of sales number. It grows as its reputation proliferates. Perhaps it's the reason why ND are setting up a new franchise on a system with an established and large install base (i.e. lowest risk). LoU2, if there was to be one, would be on PS4.

The difference is Sony dropped the ball so hard this generation, its not even funny. It will be very scary what MS can do. They can throw money around like no one's business. What Sony did to Sega, don't be surprised if MS does to Sony. I say this as a loyal PlayStation customer. Sony needs to stretch its wings as far as they can reach next-gen.

Which is why I think this Last of Us, God of War IV, Little Big Racers bit is pure stupidity. These games should have been launch window PS4. Missed opportunities.

I have to disagree. Sony needs to cut its losses and release the next system either before or at the same time as Microsoft AND have some of their key IP's available at launch.

Mrbob

The Last of Us and Little Big Racers are a bit of a head scratcher when you think about it. 6 years into the console's life span and Sony is bringing out new IP games. Makes me wonder if Sony isn't bluffing in terms of their next system not being on the horizon. You would think The Last of Us would be saved for PS4 if the system is coming out any time soon.

UberTag

I'm not expecting any kind of PS4 acknowledgement from Sony this year. They will be last to the next-gen dance after Nintendo (this fall) and Microsoft (in 2013).

What I do expect from them is some duplication of Wii U's tablet functionality to be implemented in key multiplatform third-party titles via PS3-Vita connectivity and a big remote play push for later this year.

thuway

If Sony wants the PS4 to succeed they must, Must, MUST stop with the stupidity.

First Party
-

- All First Party Studios, that includes you Polyphony, must have first party titles in the launch window. Set your best foot forward.

Gran Turismo is an established seller, but the damn thing needs to be in launch window. NOT FOUR YEARS INTO THE GENERATION. Protip Kaz, it's nota crime to outsource. #squanderedopportunity

Both the first Little Big Planet and Mod Nation Racers; two games aimed at the 14 and under demographic, were obscenely difficult. Both games frustratingly tough whether it be AI, wonky controls, or an overall lack of cohesiveness. These titles could have cemented Sony into the Pokemon market, but once again- #squanderedopportunity

Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, and Naughty Dog must have next generation experiences Day 1. Killzone came out two and a half years into the generation, Uncharted 1 came as the most barebones package ever, and God of War 3 was released in mid generation with relatively little fanfare. #squanderedopportunity

All this talk about Little Big Racers, God of War IV, Sony Smash Brothers, and the Last Guardian is stupid. Push the damn things to PS4 as early titles and establish these franchises into the ground at the outset of the next gen.

Also is it too much to ask for a Pokemon clone from Japan Studio with a little help from SCEE in terms of tech and design. Vita + PS4, gimme my RPGs :(.

Sheikh

Banned

Totally agree with you on the games which should be saved for PS4..i am sure all will be saved except LOU,which is OK since its the first game of the series.

Unlike last gen , they should not overpromise something which they cant deliver . MS this gen has promised and delivered . People are a tad unhappy with the probable wii2 and xbx3 specs . However, both MS and Nintendo now have solid chunks of casual customers,so they could be more focused on motion control and similiar devices,aimed at the casuals.

I have always been saying this and i will say this again, SONY should launch PS4 with a very powerful HW. Thats one way to go with all guns blazing next gen , with some decent launch game titles.

First Party
-

- All First Party Studios, that includes you Polyphony, must have first party titles in the launch window. Set your best foot forward.

Gran Turismo is an established seller, but the damn thing needs to be in launch window. NOT FOUR YEARS INTO THE GENERATION. #squanderedopportunity

Both the first Little Big Planet and Mod Nation Racers; two games aimed at the 14 and under demographic, were obscenely difficult. Both games frustratingly tough whether it be AI, wonky controls, or an overall lack of cohesiveness. These titles could have cemented Sony into the Pokemon market, but once again- #squanderedopportunity

Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, and Naughty Dog must have next generation experiences Day 1. Killzone came out two and a half year into the generation, Uncharted 1 came as the most barebones package ever, and God of War 3 was released in mid generation with relatively little fanfare. #squanderedopportunity

All this talk about Little Big Racers, God of War IV, Sony Smash Brothers, and the Last Guardian is stupid. Push the damn things to PS4 as early titles and establish these franchises into the ground at the outset of the next gen.

completely agree on this too

Dont agree with LoU. Generally the first game in a franchise is the weakest in terms of sales number. It grows as its reputation proliferates. Perhaps it's the reason why ND are setting up a new franchise on a system with an established and large install base (i.e. lowest risk). LoU2, if there was to be one, would be on PS4.

First year to 18 months is usually a good time to launch a new IP, the big players are usually still on the old system still to take in that bigger userbase. It's easier to get attention as the bigggest game of the new system compared to fighting it out amongst the other mega franchises.

This is a little different thou as you said but I think for diferent resons, first Naught Dog probably has a big enough reputation to do well in the timeframe of Halo, CoD, etc and also the way CoD and Assasins creed can be pumped out yearly probably means there will be versions of those 2 big franchises close to the launch of the next systems so it wouldn't be completely smooth sailing for new IP's as it has been in alot of other luanches.

thuway

The Last of Us, as much as I want it too, probably won't be on PS4 for one main reason- its running on the Uncharted engine. ND has stated publicly they are working on a new engine for next generation. The Last of Us will be limited by whatever limitations were drawn into the Uncharted engine.

PS4 needs to ship with an ND product, Uncharted or the Last of Us, its anybody's guess, but launching a new IP at the beginning of a generation is usually a smart idea. Which is why I hate to see the LOU come out for PS3 :-/. It probably won't get the recognition it deserves.

Bgamer90

Banned
With the way Sony is introducing new IP's this late into the gen, maybe there won't be a PS4 anytime soon.

Who knows... ::shrugs shoulders::

Bgamer90

Banned
...but launching a new IP at the beginning of a generation is usually a smart idea. Which is why I hate to see the LOU come out for PS3 :-/. It probably won't get the recognition it deserves.

Exactly. A new IP gets more attention when it's released during the early part of a console's life due to the game being tied to a fresh new console, thus causing the game to be a reason to get the console. From that, the new IP has a better chance at being a successful franchise.

I understand why ones are disappointed at the lack of new core oriented exclusive IP's on the 360 at the moment, but what I don't understand is why many who feel that way don't get what I stated above. MS is playing it smart.

thuway

With the way Sony is introducing new IP's this late into the gen, maybe there won't be a PS4 anytime soon.

Who knows... ::shrugs shoulders::

You can't ride the coat tails of the PS3 when the Wii U, and the NextBox come slamming straight into your face. These games will be overlooked, sell less, and be forgotten before they even came out.

Glix

WiiU wins Japan by default, with a multiyear head start on Sony, and no one willing to buy a 720?

Sounds like the perfect time for Dreamcast 2...

PS4 and the Nextbox will be out holiday 2013 at the latest. Nextbox might come out sooner, but Sony will release soon after. There will be max 3 month difference between the launches.

Everdred

I think it would be interesting for Sony to release the PS4 2 years after the successor to 360. Throw in adequately more powerful hardware and I would be much more compelled to purchase a PS4 and all the multi platform titles on it. Think about it... Better graphics, framerates, and it would make Xbox 3 look a little out dated, etc.

I think it would be interesting for Sony to release the PS4 2 years after the successor to 360. Throw in adequately more powerful hardware and I would be much more compelled to purchase a PS4 and all the multi platform titles on it. Think about it... Better graphics, framerates, and it would make Xbox 3 look a little out dated, etc.

Suicide.

Bgamer90

Banned
You can't ride the coat tails of the PS3 when the Wii U, and the NextBox come slamming straight into your face. These games will be overlooked, sell less, and be forgotten before they even came out.

Yeah I totally agree. It's just with everything that Sony is doing now, all signs are pointing to Sony releasing the PS4 after the new xbox & (obviously) the Wii U.

I guess the question is how soon after will it be. A month? A year? Two years?

Sheikh

Banned

indeed. You can tell that the interest for this gen is waning . Yes, the ps3 price cut below 200$ will provide some acceleration , but the battle for next gen will be lost for SONY , even before the launch of PS4

SONY should focus on shrinking the ps3 further so that they could go for another price cut and save all their games for next gen.

whats the funny part? if PS4 and Xb3 launch at the same time ,ps4 will win . SONY will tout HD victor in europe and asia months after release ,which will affect the xb3 image ww. As for NA ,it is a tough call with xb3 having the advantage since it will acquire some momentum from x360's success in NA

if SONY is coming out with PS4 a year later than xb3, then they need to make sure that the HW is significantly more powerful than xb3's. Otherwise what would be the incentive to buy a PS4 when there is already something similiar with a year span of gaming library.

Bruce_warns.gif

Don't go there dude...

Eternia

most important region??

Yet how badly the PS3 has done in NA and how strong it is in Europe as a whole, sales between the two regions are fairly close. I'd say Sony should continue pushing for mindshare in NA next generation since the most potential growth in their brand would be there while it seems Europe has shown to be extremely loyal for whatever reason.

First Party
-

Gran Turismo is an established seller, but the damn thing needs to be in launch window. NOT FOUR YEARS INTO THE GENERATION. Protip Kaz, it's nota crime to outsource. #squanderedopportunity

Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, and Naughty Dog must have next generation experiences Day 1. Killzone came out two and a half years into the generation, Uncharted 1 came as the most barebones package ever, and God of War 3 was released in mid generation with relatively little fanfare. #squanderedopportunity

Also is it too much to ask for a Pokemon clone from Japan Studio with a little help from SCEE in terms of tech and design. Vita + PS4, gimme my RPGs :(.
All first party studios having a title at launch window is excessive but they definitely need a good number of titles to spread over the first year. Perhaps 4-6 depending on the size. Then studios can begin to alternate their output as they did half-way through this gen and you'll have a steady stream of content. Otherwise they would have a barren wasteland right after launch and that's not too great either.

Bgamer90

Banned

It would give the new xbox a really good sized head start especially since the xbox brand has good 3rd party support. A lot of people will be so tied in to the whole "xbox system" (Live, DLC on Live, Arcade games, etc.) after 2 years that the average consumer may not see the need in getting a PS4 due to them spending so much money for Xbox stuff/content over the 2 year gap.

It just wouldn't be smart. But again, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happening considering the fact that Sony's still treating the PS3 as if this were year 3 of this current gen (i.e. 2008) mainly via new IP's.

Top Bottom