• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Shadow780

The text on the PSP and PS3 images now use the background color for the GAF dark theme. It's unreadable. :p

I have my PS3 connected via Ethernet and will have my PS4 connected via Ethernet as well. Ethernet used to be the way to connect devices a few years ago.

You mean use ethernet to connect their PS3/4 to the internet? Seems pretty sensible to me, especially for the PS3. And that leaves the console's wifi free to handle remote play, it gives the best results all around.

Me, can't stand Wi-Fi, ethernet all day every day.

No I mean connect the Ethernet directly from your landline/internet box without a router, don't most people connect that cable to WAN to the router?

Unless I misunderstood the picture.

Vashetti

Banned
No I mean connect the Ethernet directly from your landline/internet box without a router, don't most people connect that cable to WAN to the router?

Unless I misunderstood the picture.

Ah, you are misunderstanding, it just means connect the PS3/PS4 to the router via ethernet.

driver116

Can someone confirm if PS3 with direct connection to Vita can use its WiFi module to connect to the web [no LAN cable attached]? I think that PS3 dedicates entire WiFi module just for Remote Play in that case.

Just tested it. The PS3 can still connect to the wireless router and download/browse etc.

androvsky

I don't know how I would test that since the PS3 goes to a black screen saying that remote play is in use. Or do you mean use the Vita remote playing to fire up the browser and connect to something? Does the browser even work with remote play?

I have a few minutes before I go to work, I'll fuck around with it and report what I find.
Yes, iirc the browser works through remote play, I think I used it once while on my PSP because the PSP browser is so bad. Or, just use Remote Play to play a game that has online multiplayer... if there is one. Maybe try streaming a video over the network.

As I recall, it won't work. The PS3's wifi module can only make one connection at a time, so if the PS3 uses wifi to connect to the internet, you'll lose internet if you start up direct remote play. You might be able to use both if you connect through your router though.
Just tested it. The PS3 can still connect to the wireless router and download/browse etc.
Interesting. Are you connected directly or through the router for remote play?

I just changed my ps3 internet to wireless (because I usually have it wired) and started up remote play. It gave me two options "remote play over internet" and "remote play over private network." I did over private network. It worked... the ps3 was still online (friends list, used the browser and the home page loaded).

Is this what you're asking? If there's something else you want me to check I have a few more minutes before hopping in the shower for work.

I will say, however, that it's much laggier. I used remote play for God of War 2 HD and it was pretty smooth - but that was with my ps3 wired.

idlewild_

Thanks for the info. One thing, several of the graphics are unreadable when using the Dark Theme, was pretty confused on what those images were for until switching to the normal light one.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yes, iirc the browser works through remote play, I think I used it once while on my PSP because the PSP browser is so bad. Or, just use Remote Play to play a game that has online multiplayer... if there is one. Maybe try streaming a video over the network.

As I recall, it won't work. The PS3's wifi module can only make one connection at a time, so if the PS3 uses wifi to connect to the internet, you'll lose internet if you start up direct remote play. You might be able to use both if you connect through your router though.

So, if someone don't have means to spread his LAN cable from the router to the distant PS4, he wont be able to play MP games when RP is active. Because of this, I've added "Use LAN cabble" in Direct Connection image in OP.

When someone confirms that only 1 WiFi connection is possible [either Internet or RP], I will add more clear text into OP.

driver116

No, I removed my access point on the PS Vita so it would connect to my PS3 directly. The PS3 was connected to my wireless router using WiFi. When started to remote play, I looked at my downloads (TLoU patch was downloading albeit slowly) and I fired up the browser and watched some shows on ITV player - all fine.

androvsky

I just changed my ps3 internet to wireless (because I usually have it wired) and started up remote play. It gave me two options "remote play over internet" and "remote play over private network." I did over private network. It worked... the ps3 was still online (friends list, used the browser and the home page loaded).

Is this what you're asking? If there's something else you want me to check I have a few more minutes before hopping in the shower for work.

I will say, however, that it's much laggier. I used remote play for God of War 2 HD and it was pretty smooth - but that was with my ps3 wired.
"Remote Play over private network" makes it sound like a direct connection isn't even an option if you're using wifi to connect to the internet. I'd check myself, but I'm at work. :(

No, I removed my access point on the PS Vita so it would connect to my PS3 directly. The PS3 was connected to my wireless router using WiFi. When started to remote play, I looked at my downloads (TLoU patch was downloading albeit slowly) and I fired up the browser and watched some shows on ITV player - all fine.
Or I'm wrong. I could've sworn that used to be an issue... do you have a newer PS3?

isn't a little earlier to make thread?...
anyway nice OP you put a lot of effort in the info and pics :D

you should add Sony's official pic there too:
img_vita.jpg

PS: I have a feeling that this is going to become a heavy gif thread

DieH@rd

Banned

OK, so both Internet and remote play can work if PS3 is not using LAN cable. Thanks for testing.

Thanks for the info. One thing, several of the graphics are unreadable when using the Dark Theme, was pretty confused on what those images were for until switching to the normal light one.

I totally forgot about dark theme, I will try to fix the graphics today or tomorrow.

"Remote Play over private network" makes it sound like a direct connection isn't even an option if you're using wifi to connect to the internet. I'd check myself, but I'm at work. :(

Sounds like Driver found a way around that (deleting his home network from his vita) and it still worked.

So i think we have our answer... for the ps3. I don't think we can say with 100% certainty that this is how it will work on the ps4, but it's a clue - atleast.

driver116

OK, so both Internet and remote play can work if PS3 is not using LAN cable. Thanks for testing.

I totally forgot about dark theme, I will try to fix the graphics today or tomorrow.

Yes, and it pretty much confirms my theory which I mentioned in the other thread (TGS Killzone) - when using remote play, the PS3 will prioritise remote play packets in and out of the WiFi module - over all other network traffic (downloads/video streams/p2p connections etc.)

DieH@rd

Banned
isn't a little earlier to make thread?...
anyway nice OP you put a lot of effort in the info and pics :D

People need to get informed. And for pics... I banged this up together really quickly, but the most difficult one was tub gif, which nobody comented on. :D

witcher-in-tub8bqgg.gif

:D

Yes, and it pretty much confirms my theory which I mentioned in the other thread (TGS Killzone) - when using remote play, the PS3 will prioritise remote play packets in and out of the WiFi module - over all other network traffic (downloads/video streams/p2p connections etc.)

I wonder if Remote Play will become compromised if PS4 is downloading bigass game from PSN in the background.

With speedtests like this:

oiokH7C.png

I'm starting to get somewhat excited that this will work over the internet for me, assuming where i am has a good connection also. For latency friendly games, atleast.

Why is november like 19 months away?!?!?!

DieH@rd

Banned
With speedtests like this:

oiokH7C.png

I'm starting to get somewhat excited that this will work over the internet for me, assuming where i am has a good connection also. For latency friendly games, atleast.

Why is november like 19 months away?!?!?!

Before you go to work, remember the IP address of your home PC. Then at work, ping it to see latency between your work and home. :)

Heck, everyone should test their "away from home" latency numbers before PS4 arrives. :)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Co-op on two TVs (with Vita TV) CONFIRMED! YES! YES! FUCKING YES!
It will still be the same viewpoint so you gain nothing except you can sit away from the person you're playing coop with because they smell.

Edit: Well, it isn't nothing. Games that don't have an online coop mode can be made online by using a Vita as the second player. A game like Outland or Guacamelee is suddenly network aware.
(Depending on how it all works with the account system on PS4 and what preparations for remote play pairing need to be done first.)

DBT85

It will still be the same viewpoint so you gain nothing except you can sit away from the person you're playing coop with because they smell.

If it means you can play coop on say Rayman with your kid while you are away on a business trip, that would be considered gaining something.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If it means you can play coop on say Rayman with your kid while you are away on a business trip, that would be considered gaining something.
"Dad, why are you missing all these jumps?"
Then you think to yourself 'Fucking lag is fucking messing up my timings' and say "Shut up Jimmy and press continue."

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remote Play is a major, major plus for me. I've been a Vita owner from the start and I've been waiting for something like this.

Why doesn't the PS4 support 802.11ac?

Remote Play is a major, major plus for me. I've been a Vita owner from the start and I've been waiting for something like this.

Why doesn't the PS4 support 802.11ac?

Not a terrible demand for it on the consumer end, and they were trying to keep the price lower. N 300 is good enough for 90% of people.

CamHostage

So, if someone don't have means to spread his LAN cable from the router to the distant PS4, he wont be able to play MP games when RP is active. Because of this, I've added "Use LAN cabble" in Direct Connection image in OP.

When someone confirms that only 1 WiFi connection is possible [either Internet or RP], I will add more clear text into OP.

This came up in a previous post about Remote Play and I think where we got was that we don't know how capable PS4 is, but router technology has come a significant way since PS3 launched. (But also, PS3 can do some simultaneous local and networked functions; I just tried my PS3-to-Vita and it allows me to see my PSN friends list and messages but did not allow me to browse PSN store.) A modern router or network card will carry support for something like WiFi Direct or have some other plan for allowing multiple simultaneous connections. Here's some info on the WiFi Alliance's version of the technology:

http://www.wi-fi.org/download.php?f...oads-public/faq_20101021_Wi-Fi_Direct_FAQ.pdf

The problem we have now is that we don't know how powerful the PS4's router is. Sony has not confirmed the PS4 to be WiFi Direct-enabled machine (not that this makes or breaks the power, WiFi Direct is a certification rather than a special chip.) Until we know that (or until Sony addresses the range of possibilities,) we won't know what the PS4 can and cannot do in Remote Play that PS3 could not. That said, it feels like it'd be foolish for Sony to allow a bottleneck in this aspect of the system.

Curiously, of the two, Xbox One has announced that its online system uses WiFi Direct (its controllers actually connect to the box through WiFi rather than Bluetooth, although that still doesn't explain why PS4 only supports 4 controllers when PS3 was also BT and did 7 players.) It is not a feature listed in the PS4 specs, which are thus far very limited as it is .I have not seen Sony comment or been asked to confirm/deny WiFi Direct integration (might be worth an ask?)

Wii U also uses WiFi Direct for its GamePad sharing (weird, I always thought it was some custom signal like what DS had for its local play, but whatever.) And they seem to be pretty happy with the results there...

FYI, you can actually buy a mouse for your home PC that connects via WiFi instead of BT or a USB peripheral.

DieH@rd

Banned
can't wait for this.
so many PS3 games I'll rather play on my Vita :X

Remote Play for PS4 will not support PS3 games [PS4 does not have PS3 emulator]. Online cloud based system Gaikai will offer PS3 streaming from distant Sony servers in NA during 2014.

You can illegally rig PS3 to stream a lot of games to Vita, but you need CFW for that [and PS3 Remote Play is not perfect].

driver116

Or I'm wrong. I could've sworn that used to be an issue... do you have a newer PS3?

FAT PS3 - No BC.

To be clear - if all you have is wireless, your PS3 can remote play whilst retaining an Internet connection.

I wonder if Remote Play will become compromised if PS4 is downloading bigass game from PSN in the background.

Well with PS3 I found downloads to be slow while remote play was running, also video streaming was slow too. I reckon there will be some type of QoS system in place to ensure that PS4 remote play is prioritised at all times hence download speeds reducing etc.

what about Blu-Rays?

Currently remote play on PS3 does not allow playback of Blu-rays of DVDs. No idea if this will be the case with PS4 (thinking licensing/copyright/drm).

although that still doesn't explain why PS4 only supports 4 controllers when PS3 was also BT and did 7 players.)

Personally I think 4 controllers will be fine, however there must be additional channels for a remote control for example (Like PS3).

Q: Can I play PS4 couch coop game on more than one Vita via Remote Play?
A: Yes. Up to four Vitas can grab same gameplay feed from one PS4. All vitas can have their own PSN accounts.
Whaaaaa?

So, if a game offer 4-way, split-screen, local co-op, you can connect four Vitas and each player gets their own, un-split view? Or is this more for shared-screen multiplayer? (I imagine a split screen on a Vita would be mostly useless.)

Edit: Nice GIF! ^^^

fi1ip

Amazing OT. So much useful information about remote play.

We'll have to wait and see if Sony can deliver on this promise, not just with the technology but with some smart ways to use it as well.

Top Bottom