• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 System Software Firmware 4.20

PS3 System Software version 4.20 will be released on June 26 2012. This update will introduce a number of new features including:

- When the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) is connected, you can now adjust the sidetone level for microphone audio. Select [Sidetone] under (Settings) > (Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings].
--o Off: Disable microphone audio from the headset
--o 1-5: Enable microphone audio from the headset

- You can now set the amount of time until the system automatically turns off. Under (Settings) > (Power Save Settings) > [System Auto-Off] you will be able amend the time for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features]:
Video/TV/Music/Photo - After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
Game/Other Features - After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
--o If you enabled [System Auto-Off] in system software prior to version 4.20, the selected time will be set for both [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [Game/Other Features].
--o The default settings are [After 4 Hours] for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [After 1 Hour] for [Game/Other Features].

- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
--o You cannot use [Copy Multiple] to select data that is copy-protected.
--o Some saved data cannot be copied.
--o The upper right corner of the screen displays:
===== the number of saved data items that are selected
===== the total number of saved data items
===== the total file size of the saved data items that are selected

source?

Durante

So six years later we finally get this. Does anyone else find that a bit strange? It took Sony this long to implement such a common feature of filecopying? Their update methodology is random and quite dumb. All of these little things people have been asking for should have been in one huge ass update several years ago.

It's in the vein of "YAY, I GOT A BLIND FOR MY WINDOW 6 YEARS AFTER MOVING IN."
It's just software engineering in any large project. Steam just got custom icons for games 5 years after people started asking for it.

8byte

Banned
And still we won't be able to see who's online with a PS Vita because of "memory limitations".

Figure out your shit, Sony.

I guess we can look at Vita for a reference.

So you're saying it'll basically be just as half assed? :p

I wonder if this will apply to multi-selecting PSP saves too. I have so many to sift through when I connect it to my PS3... Definitely wouldn't mind hitting 'select all' and be done with it.

androvsky

I wonder if this will apply to multi-selecting PSP saves too. I have so many to sift through when I connect it to my PS3... Definitely wouldn't mind hitting 'select all' and be done with it.

That reminds me, I'd love to see cloud saves support PSP, minis, and PS1 saves. And PS2 saves if they up the storage limit (the PSN releases use two 8MB memory cards per game, apparently).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Locked saves are like a chastity belt ensuring the trophy system's purity.

<3 trophies

Which has been gotten around for AGES on 360 AND PS3. So no excuse to do it anymore. Time to unlock them before next-gen happens.

I'm joking. I hate locked saves because I can't use my retail GT PSP's saves on my digital version on the Vita. :(

I know that feel bro. PSP changes are locked for that as well.

So six years later we finally get this. Does anyone else find that a bit strange? It took Sony this long to implement such a common feature of filecopying? Their update methodology is random and quite dumb. All of these little things people have been asking for should have been in one huge ass update several years ago.

It's in the vein of "YAY, I GOT A BLIND FOR MY WINDOW 6 YEARS AFTER MOVING IN."

SCEJ should not be any near of software updates from now on. SCEE or SCEA are much more competent.

patsu

And still we won't be able to see who's online with a PS Vita because of "memory limitations".

Figure out your shit, Sony.

I doubt that's due to "memory limitations". Where did you read it from ?

So you're saying it'll basically be just as half assed? :p

It is indeed half assed in some areas (power, dev time, blah). As usual and regrettably, the asses will only focus on these weaknesses.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I doubt that's due to "memory limitations". Where did you read it from ?

I think Yoshida tweeted or mentioned it in an interview

VITA can do stuff PS3 is limited to, most likely PS4 and VITA will be even leveled, but VITA OS/Memory situation outshines PS3 even though they share the same network

mollipen

Hey Sony... LET US SORT THESE DAMN INSTALLER BUBBLES YOU JERKS!

You guys broke the entire system. It used to work perfectly, now it doesn't.

Edit: Any yeah, what is the source of this info?

Diablos

It's probably because the XMB is a bit of a mess, they started cutting down on its ram usage (from 120+ to 40+ now iirc) and didn't work in these features like cross game chat before they had too little ram to do it, things like trophies were put in what, 2 years down the road into an already bloaty OS that they have tried to trim down.

I imagine at this point they prefer not doing anything drastic to the XMB from fear of it falling apart.
I'm no programmer or engineer, but wouldn't introducing the copying of multiple items simultaneously require only a few extra lines of code? Surely that could fit into a tiny 40MB memory footprint no matter what?

It's just software engineering in any large project. Steam just got custom icons for games 5 years after people started asking for it.
Yes but even copying multiple files is more fundamental than custom icons. Every OS/filesystem under the sun supports this. There was really no excuse.

Probably because SCE Japan deals with it all. They need to hand it all off to SCE London or something.

SCEJ should not be any near of software updates from now on. SCEE or SCEA are much more competent.
Good point, but then again at least SCEJ is smart enough to let their PSN users change their Online ID's whenever they want. I'm still waiting to change mine, as I'm stuck with a name I don't want. I know around the time of the PSN outage admins hinted at this coming, but over a year later it's still nowhere to be seen. Come on, Sony...

theBishop

Banned
First useful features in a long time. While they're re-jiggering headset shit, why not fix the desperately broken BT headset configuration? Why can't I mute, or adjust volume from the "Quit Game" menu?

androvsky

VITA can do stuff PS3 is limited to, most likely PS4 and VITA will be even leveled, but VITA OS/Memory situation outshines PS3 even though they share the same network

He talked about showing Vita trophies on the PS3 on Podcast Beyond recently, but didn't go into much detail as I recall. About all he said was that it was more difficult that people would expect. The memory limitations quote was about cross game chat, and even that wasn't really a direct quote.

As far as what the problem with showing Vita trophies and online status on the PS3 is, about the only thing I can come up with is they're saving room to expand what the Vita and PS4 do later on that the PS3 won't get, and don't want to take it away from the PS3 when that happens.

I thought Yosp said that is not possible on PS3?
Even trophy websites don't have any trouble with Vita trophies, all indications are they're not handled any differently from PS3 ones (except for the platform tag). It's definitely possible (if not trivial), Sony's just choosing not to do it for some reason (my guess is above). Actually, this is the first real PS3 firmware update since the Vita launched in the West, so I'm still slightly optimistic.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ugh, no way. I don't want random trophies filling up my list. That would make some people play less demos.
Not if they have a own "game" in the trophy list that is called 'Demos' or something. And all game demo trophies gets added under this "game" instead of having seperate addings for each demo. I've thought about this idea as well.

6 years later, we finally got ourselves a WebKit browser, and this. ^_^

Usability enhancement does seem very low in their priority. 8^(

But to be fair, in 6 years, we got PSP Minis support, in-game XMB, 10 or so media apps, 3D gaming, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray DTS, PS+ Cloud support, clock fix, PSOne and PS2 compatibility, assorted security fixes to counter the big hack, etc.

You forgot about THE REALLY BIG FONT font that we also got :(

Yes but even copying multiple files is more fundamental than custom icons. Every OS/filesystem under the sun supports this. There was really no excuse.

They have these strange difference between game files and non-game files.
You could copy&delete multiple videos, pictures etc. from the beginning (?) but not savegames.
Similar to how you can't delete games folders or view their size or even sort the games within alphabetically (all possible with video folders etc.)

patsu

yosp mentioned that trophy sync is very complicated. He didn't say Vita's or PS3's memory is the problem.

OTOH, he did say cross game chat on PS3 is a memory problem.

On Vita, they still need to work out a smooth flow for an "always connected" experience. Right now, they give priority to power consumption, so network will be disconnected when no one is using it.

FWIW, I used to think Japan team is weak. But if they got PS2 emulation up on PS3, and also spearheaded the PS Mobile effort, I figured they should be pretty solid. Not many companies in this world can emulate PS2 on a PS3 without full hardware support.

What they lack seems to be proper product marketing.

Respawn

Banned
I'm tired of these stupid updates.

s6tnS.gif

Utako

Banned
Joining the chorus of praise over save copies.

It took me hours to upgrade my PS3's HDD when it should have taken minutes.

GraveRobberX

I don't see any reason why we can't see Vita trophies on PS3.

All data is stored online. If my PS3 can show someone's Max Payne 3 trophies, it should be able to show Gravity Rush trophies as well.

Even amateurs can access that data: http://psnprofiles.com/Kyoufu

The thing is how would you section it

On ViTA we have to 2 tabs, 1 = VITA trophies, 1 for PS3 trophies

You can't just jumble all the VITA trophies onto the PS3 list, it would be pure chaos. also the synch time would increase immensely

I know you can have double/triple/quadruple dip titles, but how do you get Gravity Rush onto that PS3 list and state it as VITA title (you know make it stand out)

Also does Sony want to go through the trouble doing it

Hell most of GAF goes cuckoo for coco puff and hates trophies and achievements, so it's would be a lost cause to most, and we would get a thread of I cou'dn't care less, locked saves = trophies, and always the original, virtual e-peen = no life

Diablos

They have these strange difference between game files and non-game files.
You could copy&delete multiple videos, pictures etc. from the beginning (?) but not savegames.
Similar to how you can't delete games folders or view their size or even sort the games within alphabetically (all possible with video folders etc.)
Right. All the more reason why this couldn't have been too hard to implement. It's not like introducing this would have made XMB memory usage jump from 40 to 70MB or something.

Again, I'm no programmer/engineer, but surely this only required a few lines of code.

Goldrusher

The thing is how would you section it
No need to section? Why would you need to section?

On ViTA we have to 2 tabs, 1 = VITA trophies, 1 for PS3 trophies
Yeah, and it doesn't make sense. It's not called PS3 trophies, but PlayStation Network, as if the Vita trophies aren't part of the PlayStation Network.

You can't just jumble all the VITA trophies onto the PS3 list, it would be pure chaos. also the synch time would increase immensely
Why?
For example someone with 10 PS3-games and 5 Vita-games, has a list with 15 games. How would that be "chaos" compared to someone with 200 PS3-games ?

I know you can have double/triple/quadruple dip titles, but how do you get Gravity Rush onto that PS3 list and state it as VITA title (you know make it stand out)
Every game has its own unique logo, simply add an overlay with the system logo.

GraveRobberX

Right. All the more reason why this couldn't have been too hard to implement. It's not like introducing this would have made XMB memory usage jump from 40 to 70MB or something.

Again, I'm no programmer/engineer, but surely this only required a few lines of code.

Printer Support was more important!, gamers were demanding it

Also how many photo apps have we gotten so far, 3+ no

People in SCEJ sure have their PS3 feature priorities all right

spats

Official post is up.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/25/ps3-system-software-update-v4-20/

As mentioned in our previous blog post, system software update (v4.10) added a feature that enabled you to hear your own voice through the Wireless Stereo Headset when playing multiplayer modes. This type of audio feedback is known as &#8220;sidetone.&#8221; Based on your comments, system software update (v4.20) will improve sidetone audio performance by giving you the option to select one out of five levels for microphone audio, or turn the feature off completely. For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.

This update will also allow you to set the amount of time that the system will wait before turning itself off automatically for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features].

Additionally, saved data management has been improved. You will now be able to select multiple saved data items and delete or copy them as a group.

NateDrake

For doubters, it is confirmed: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/25/ps3-system-software-update-v4-20/

Tomorrow we will be releasing a new system software update (v4.20) for PlayStation 3 which will include a few minor updates in order to strengthen functionality and improve your overall experience.

As mentioned in our previous blog post, system software update (v4.10) added a feature that enabled you to hear your own voice through the Wireless Stereo Headset when playing multiplayer modes. This type of audio feedback is known as “sidetone.” Based on your comments, system software update (v4.20) will improve sidetone audio performance by giving you the option to select one out of five levels for microphone audio, or turn the feature off completely. For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.

This update will also allow you to set the amount of time that the system will wait before turning itself off automatically for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features].

Additionally, saved data management has been improved. You will now be able to select multiple saved data items and delete or copy them as a group.

More details will be available here tomorrow once the system software update is live.

Goldrusher

Another new feature:

For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.

Its up on the blog:

PS3 System Software Update (v4.20)

+ Posted by Eric Lempel // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Tomorrow we will be releasing a new system software update (v4.20) for PlayStation 3 which will include a few minor updates in order to strengthen functionality and improve your overall experience.

As mentioned in our previous blog post, system software update (v4.10) added a feature that enabled you to hear your own voice through the Wireless Stereo Headset when playing multiplayer modes. This type of audio feedback is known as “sidetone.” Based on your comments, system software update (v4.20) will improve sidetone audio performance by giving you the option to select one out of five levels for microphone audio, or turn the feature off completely. For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.

More details will be available here tomorrow once the system software update is live.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/25/ps3-system-software-update-v4-20/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They just posted it

PS3 System Software Update (v4.20)

+ Posted by Eric Lempel // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

androvsky

Another new feature:
For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.
Holy shit, that was the one thing holding me back from buying a Playstation Headset. Thanks for spotting that, I glazed over the headset stuff. :)

patsu

Holy shit, that was the one thing holding me back from buying a Playstation Headset. Thanks for spotting that, I glazed over the headset stuff. :)

How much is the wireless PS headset ? I was shopping for one, but didn't pick any in the end. Does this wireless headset support Bluetooth ? Can it be used for iOS devices also ?

In support of Wario64...

It was a joke

It was a joke

It was a joke

androvsky

How much is the wireless PS headset ? I was shopping for one, but didn't pick any in the end. Does this wireless headset support Bluetooth ? Can it be used for iOS devices also ?

In support of Wario64...
It uses a usb dongle so as far as I know, just ps3 and pc. Stereo only on pc. $99 normally, $85 on amazon. The headset coming out this fall will support more devices, but it's $149.

Top Bottom