• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Slayven

Those are terrorists.

When I say evangelical religious nutbags, I mean those dudes that stop you in the street and ask you to pray to god or else you're going to hell. Or maybe that friend you have that keeps pushing you to go to church with them to eventually convert and when you say no they give you bullshit thinly veiled insults. Or they tell you you're stupid for not believing in God. The shit I see in GAF by many atheists in religious threads or things even hinting at God come across exactly the same. Thinly veiled personal insults(sometimes not thinly veiled at all), where if you don't take the atheist ideology as truth you are a dumbass who can't use reason. It's tiring and insulting, to try and force people to see shit your way when they just have a different perspective of life than you. I consider myself agnostic at best, but it generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth when anyone tries to force their ideologies down peoples throats, religious or not. It's pretty much why I stay away from religious threads in general. If they're not hurting anyone just let people live their life.

Of course criticisms on the systematic/structure of religion is fair game, but I find that many times on GAF it's usually goes beyond that into the personal realm, especially so once a thread starts going into the 3+pg range.
You are so well spoken.

Imm0rt4l

the "evangelical religious nutbags" that atheists "hate" generally do things like use bombs, protest gay rights, try to pass off supernatural claims as facts (often in schools), attempt to limit women's rights, etc.

Is there an actual parallel you have in mind with these things? Or are you equating "snarky message board posters" with "evangelical religious nutbags"?

discussing ideas that hold an incredible amount of influence over tons of human beings, how they behave, and how they view the world around them, and also has a strong influence on Black Culture (gotta stay on topic, heh) = arguing over nothing. Hmm.

Word.

For what it's worth, Neil Degrasse Tysons sentiments mirror my own in regards to religion. Although me labeling myself agnostic is a sort of cop out, fact of the matter is I don't particularly care for arguing till I'm blue in the face over semantics. And lets keep it 100, people do perceive you a certain way if you are on either side. The apprehensiveness just makes people more prone to lowering the discourse.

As far as religion threads go on gaf, I don't bother with them. Shit's an exercise in futility.

Slayven

Word.

For what it's worth, Neil Degrasse Tysons sentiments mirror my own in regards to religion. Although me labeling myself agnostic is a sort of cop out, fact of the matter is I don't particularly care for arguing till I'm blue in the face over semantics. And lets keep it 100, people do perceive you a certain way if you are on either side. The apprehensiveness just makes people more prone to lowering the discourse.

As far as religion threads go on gaf, I don't bother with them. Shit's an exercise in futility.

You play the contrarian in the threads. Seems like that league is always growing.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Those are terrorists.

When I say evangelical religious nutbags, I mean those dudes that stop you in the street and ask you to pray to god or else you're going to hell. Or maybe that friend you have that keeps pushing you to go to church with them to eventually convert and when you say no they give you bullshit thinly veiled insults. Or they tell you you're stupid for not believing in God. The shit I see in GAF by many atheists in religious threads or things even hinting at God come across exactly the same. Thinly veiled personal insults(sometimes not thinly veiled at all), where if you don't take the atheist ideology as truth you are a dumbass who can't use reason. It's tiring and insulting, to try and force people to see shit your way when they just have a different perspective of life than you. I consider myself agnostic at best, but it generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth when anyone tries to force their ideologies down peoples throats, religious or not. It's pretty much why I stay away from religious threads in general. If they're not hurting anyone just let people live their life.

Of course criticisms on the systematic/structure of religion is fair game, but I find that many times on GAF it's usually goes beyond that into the personal realm, especially so once a thread starts going into the 3+pg range.

handclap.gif

Lebron

the "evangelical religious nutbags" that atheists "hate" generally do things like use bombs, protest gay rights, try to pass off supernatural claims as facts (often in schools), attempt to limit women's rights, etc.

Is there an actual parallel you have in mind with these things? Or are you equating "snarky message board posters" with "evangelical religious nutbags"?

discussing ideas that hold an incredible amount of influence over tons of human beings, how they behave, and how they view the world around them, and also has a strong influence on Black Culture (gotta stay on topic, heh) = arguing over nothing. Hmm.
It's nice you think there's actual discussion going on. Sure, you have a few trying to keep things civil and just debate. But like I said, to the lurker looking on, all you see is idiots making themselves look like idiots arguing over who's right or who's wrong(aka nothing). It's no different than trying to argue about racism in those trap threads. There's a time and place for such things, but GAF ain't it. But all power to you if you wish to waste a fuck, I rather do something more productive like waggle my mouse clicker around the screen.

Word.

that's cool. There's no requirement to participate in every religious discussion or whatever (I find them personally interesting for the reasons I mentioned previously, but it's not for everyone) The issue I had with Tyson's sentiments is that he:

1) says he rejects labels -> labels himself an agnostic (even though this label doesn't actually accurately describe his stance on the question, as you kind of admitted above)
2) says he doesn't want to be associated with negative atheist stereotypes -> perpetuates negative atheist stereotypes

I posted in the other thread, but here's an interesting video where NDT basically makes the same point I've been making: A Story of Race. It's interesting to see how he realizes that he can fight against negative stereotypes in one area, yet he perpetuates negative stereotypes when it comes to another.

onemic said:
Those are terrorists.

When I say evangelical religious nutbags, I mean those dudes that stop you in the street and ask you to pray to god or else you're going to hell. Or maybe that friend you have that keeps pushing you to go to church with them to eventually convert and when you say no they give you bullshit thinly veiled insults. Or they tell you you're stupid for not believing in God. The shit I see in GAF by many atheists in religious threads or things even hinting at God come across exactly the same. Thinly veiled personal insults(sometimes not thinly veiled at all), where if you don't take the atheist ideology as truth you are a dumbass who can't use reason.

I would agree that reason isn't being used by theists on that specific topic (they may very well use reason in other areas though). Of course, I don't think Republicans use reason for lots of their views either. Or faith healers, or millions of other things where I think I'm correct, and someone else is incorrect, *shrug* I'm curious if that would be considered "thinly veiled personal insults", or just the standard "I think my position is correct, and here's why" approach that come up in any other discussion.

And of course, relatively mild criticism is often elevated to "insulting" simply because of the social stigma against criticizing religious beliefs.

It's kind of similar to how some perceive black men as "angry", simply because we may not be smiling. When all it means is...we're not currently smiling. Nothing more. Atheists can be perceived as "angry" or "insulting" in a discussion, when they simply treat a religious claim the same way they treat any other claim about the world.

All that said, I don't dispute that there are snarky non-believers who probably say stupid shit like "lolz religious people are 100% dumb". But what effect on the world do they really have, and why should I pretend that's somehow equivalent to the very real effects mentioned in the article I posted?

There's plenty of black folks who say all sorts of stupid shit that I disagree with, but that doesn't somehow mean I need to suddenly start pretending that "black folks saying stupid shit sometimes sure does remind me of that institutional white privilege they claim to hate!"

It's tiring and insulting, to try and force people to see shit your way when they just have a different perspective of life than you.

discussing on a message board is "forcing people to see shit your way"? Also, describing theism as a "different perspective of life" seems like calling invisible spirits "a different perspective of life". Religious beliefs almost always make claims about the world we all live in, not just a subjective belief. I'm not sure why they get to be off the hook in a mutual discussion by saying "that's just my perspective". It's not a subjective, personal taste discussion.

I consider myself agnostic at best, but it generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth when anyone tries to force their ideologies down peoples throats, religious or not. It's pretty much why I stay away from religious threads in general. If they're not hurting anyone just let people live their life.

Again with the "Force their ideologies down people's throats", lol. We're on a voluntary message board with numerous posts for people to click on, and ignore buttons to use. Again, it seems like you're elevating religious criticism waaaay above what it actually is.

It is actually kind of fascinating how people can deal with snark and smugness in every other topic on GAF, but not with religion. Not saying that snarkiness is always the best way to go about a discussion, but in the grand scheme of things, it seems relatively harmless (again, in comparison to the very real things mentioned in that article I posted)

Sure. I'm just not sure why that warrants a "stfu atheist-gaf" (shout out to DY-Nasty who got me all crunk now! lol) as opposed to a response to the posters in whatever individual thread someone's reading. Or clicking a different thread. Or doing pretty much any other thing besides telling a diverse group of people to stfu. *shrug*

That said, it's bedtime for me. I'm all atheisted out. Thanks for the discussion, and back to lurking this thread, haha.

o1hzrw.jpg

@PG_inaba We've heard all the rumors on the net. What do you guys think? Too bad it got cancelled, huh?

Not black, but if this is some kind of troll...

the difference is at least those nuts believe in God!

Oldschoolgamer

Soul Creator said:
And of course, relatively mild criticism is often elevated to "insulting" simply because of the social stigma against criticizing religious beliefs.

C'mon son. You know damn well that's not what went on with the majority of the threads based on this particular subject. It had little to do with social stigma, and more to do with someone taking the childish route with ad hominem tactics and schoolyard jokes. Both sides were at fault, but most of the time it was caused by someone straight up resorting to name calling or being cute with their "criticism" of religion. It got so bad in OT with religious threads that the mods had to step in to keep things separate for a long while. :/

If you can't debate with someone without calling them irrational thinkers or whatever cute terms a lot people were using, then you should come up with a better way of having the discussion, imo. Goes for both sides. I'd enjoy the threads a lot more if it had more leveled discussion and less artsy ways of an atheist calling a theist irrational, or a theist calling an atheist an idiot heathen.

At any rate, platinum games is filled with marvelous trolls. :(

C'mon son. You know damn well that's not what went on with the majority of the threads based on this particular subject. It had little to do with social stigma, and more to do with someone taking the childish route with ad hominem tactics and schoolyard jokes. Both sides were at fault, but most of the time it was caused by someone straight up resorting to name calling or being cute with their "criticism" of religion. It got so bad in OT with religious threads that the mods had to step in to keep things separate for a long while. :/

If you can't debate with someone without calling them irrational thinkers or whatever cute terms a lot people were using, then you should come up with a better way of having the discussion, imo. Goes for both sides. I'd enjoy the threads a lot more if it had more leveled discussion and less artsy ways of an atheist calling a theist irrational, or a theist calling an atheist an idiot heathen.

how can there be rational discussion when only one side is rational? maybe the word you were looking for was peaceful?

Lebron

Ah the Nets, I remember back when they were the Bills of the NBA Finals. The new logo looks better than the ass one they use to have, at least.

DominoKid

in those days the East was so dogshit (and the West was so stacked) that they wouldnt have even been a top 6 team playing in the West.

im so glad things are a little more balanced these days.

masud

Banned
I gotta see the jersey beofe I pass judgement. But im glad the nets dropped the red white and blue, that shit screams "We have no fans in our home town so we're gonna be America's team..."

in those days the East was so dogshit (and the West was so stacked) that they wouldnt have even been a top 6 team playing in the West.

im so glad things are a little more balanced these days.

There's a conspiracy going on, i know that much. Dwight is down for the count, Rose tears an ACL, Shumps tears an ACL, then Amare karate chops fire extinguisher glass? LeBron and Rondo better make sure their insurance is up-to-date because the East is going through some Final Destination-esque shit right now.

There's a conspiracy going on, i know that much. Dwight is down for the count, Rose tears an ACL, Shumps tears an ACL, then Amare karate chops fire extinguisher glass? LeBron and Rondo better make sure their insurance is up-to-date because the East is going through some Final Destination-esque shit right now.

If anything, it is a conspiracy to get Lebron and the heatles into the finals without difficulty. When was the last time regular season MVP won Finals MVP? Jordan? Stern has this shit planned out.

Edit:Forgot about Duncan. Still, it has been almost a decade.

onemic said:
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

moved my responses here if you happen to feel like discussing some more

Oldschoolgamer

Gotta pass Soul. Apologies.

The Nets logo looks like a present for Beyonce, more than something legit. He should have hired a graphic designer to just rework the entire thing, imo. We'll see how it looks on a jersey...

Okay question time. How many of you are mixed? And I realize you're pretty defaulted to black because of how America works but do you grow tired of that? Like despite the obvious "you're black" shit that are there parts of your local or other racial culture that you'd like to identify with without people doing a double take?

I'm not mixed and get mistaken for being mixed because I'm light. Pisses me off. I have to keep telling people Africa is a large continent. Not every looks like Wesley Snipes

Lebron

I've been told I have a white nose and jaw, weirdest being by my Anthro professor a while back(I have white in me obviously). I feel special that they accept me.

But yes, the whole what makes someone "black" is an age old battle. I still remember the black woman aren't attractive thread from here a while back and the whole "they ain't black though!" for certain black females. Still the lowest I've seen GAF.

Okay question time. How many of you are mixed? And I realize you're pretty defaulted to black because of how America works but do you grow tired of that? Like despite the obvious "you're black" shit that are there parts of your local or other racial culture that you'd like to identify with without people doing a double take?

Well my mother's mother's mother's mother, was the result the raping of a black woman by an Irish man. That's as much as I know. Hasn't stopped me from playing the Irish card the few times that it has benefited me but I've never identified with anything outside of just being one of the coolest black people on the planet.

Well my mother's mother's mother's mother, was the result the raping of a black woman by an Irish man. That's as much as I know. Hasn't stopped me from playing the Irish card the few times that it has benefited me but I've never identified with anything outside of just being one of the coolest black people on the planet.

You can be my Irish brother from another mother.

I've been told I have a white nose and jaw, weirdest being by my Anthro professor a while back(I have white in me obviously). I feel special that they accept me.

But yes, the whole what makes someone "black" is an age old battle. I still remember the black woman aren't attractive thread from here a while back and the whole "they ain't black though!" for certain black females. Still the lowest I've seen GAF.

You never saw the thread when GTA:SA was revealed...let's just say half the thread are still banned from that

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

i have spanish relatives, but im not sure how far back the divide goes.

You never saw the thread when GTA:SA was revealed...let's just say half the thread are still banned from that

Yeah, the whole "I won't be able to relate to him" lines lol.

that thread to this day is so mindblowing to me

Oldschoolgamer

I've got Irish coursing through my gene pool (great grandmother & grandmother). Feels like it explains my high tolerance for liquor, love for corned beef, and potatoes.

Slayven

I am probably the only one in this thread, but does anyone watch Jerseylicious? They are getting a black spinoff called Chicagolicious

Top Bottom