• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Let's Lagoon 40 - 58

Well, things are getting intense now that the island is disappearing. I just hope that all four of them can make it off.

Zweizer

Banned
Oddman 11 ch30

Poor Setsu. Let's hope she won't gain any unfortunate after effects from this. Well, outside of some trauma.

05d8szm.jpg

Good old Chouko stays the same, lol.

Beastars ch51

Kinda weird how Louis went from "I want to die!" to "I want to live!". He went down quite a dark path however.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch61

Time for the siblings to sort out their issues.

Kin no Kanojo, Gin no Kanojo 1 - 26

Been reading this, and I like it quite a bit. Its about some nobody high school student who likes the most popular girl in the school, who is pretty much a princess. Well, she hates her sheltered life and through stuff that happens, she splits into two versions of herself. And of course wackiness ensues.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 42

At first I was like

CQTFoGw.png

but then I was like

ifKFwdu.png

I'd add 'master of disguise' to the list of the princess's harmful talents, but it's already on there like 3 times.

Fancolors

Beastars 51
I bet deer boy gets increasingly obsessed with meat consumption as a way of feeling as powerful as the strong carnivores he envies and political reasons. The desire for flesh and power will mix with his feelings for the bunny and he will try to eat her.

new game 63 - 64

Its sad now that Kou is gone. Though it seems like she won't be leaving the manga, so thats a good thing.

Also, Aoba got to go on stage and talk to a bunch of people, something I'm sure she'll have to get used to.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch187.5

Goddang at that last panel.

New Game! ch63-64

Pretty sad that she's gone, even if temporarily. Poor Rin is all alone now.

A Kiss and White Lily ch35

Kurosawa faced quite the existential crisis. Good thing Shiramine's competitiveness drives her forward.

Car Graffiti JK ch20

Haruka really wants to dress Miki up as a maid, huh.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch42

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

Tachibanakan To Lie Angle ch15.5

Hanabi certainly is a rare breed. She's even got an additional gift this year!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Beastars 51
Louis, boy,wtf. His will to survive is too strong, now it bite him in the ass.

New game 63-64
Quite bold for the mangaka to quickly change the status quo and still keep going. On other manga,this pretty much epilogue arc

Hinamatsuri latest
I cam't believe i'm laughing at a kid with legit dependency problem due to her being stranded for years in an abandoned island. Man, i am going to hell for this

Viz Weekly Shonen Jump 9/25/17

Food Wars 232

I will admit this is the round I'm really not sure how its going to go. My initial reaction was Soma and Megumi would win while Takumi would lose, but I have a hard time seeing the final 3 on the counsel being Tsukasa, Rindo, and Eizan. I hate the idea of Megumi being a sacrifical lamb but I guess it's completely possible we'll be left with the top 3 vs the resistance where it becomes a battle of endurance for the top members of central.

One Piece 879

This battle with Katakuri is easily the most excited I've been since the time skip for One Piece. A foe that really matches up well with Luffy and will actually force him to push past his limits. Yeah its standard shonen 101 but its the shit I love.

Promised Neverland 56

I'm glad the series found a way to introduce another unpredictable adult character who by all intents and purposes should be as if not more intelligent then the kids. Also a clever way to ditch the rest of the cast while letting us focus on the leads again.

We Never Learn 32

My eyes almost rolled out of my skull when it was revealed that Asumi is bad at a subject and wants to go into a profession in that bad subject. I'm just glad she has a genuinely good reason for why she wants to pursue this career unlike the other girls. It makes takamoto feel really out of place with her "I'm athletic and bad at everything" since I don't recall the series really giving her a main goal besides get Yuiga inside of her.

Black Clover 126

I really hope Finrall's brother doesn't turn out to be straight evil, the final page got me worried. The flash back was really enjoyable and elevated Finrall up the ladder of characters I like in this series.

Robot X Laserbeam 26

So our boring main character is amazing at literally anything he applies himself to? *gag*

Dr Stone 28

The two page spread of Suika having glasses for the first time was incredible. It really does capture the feeling of putting on glasses the first time and it should have been the end of the chapter. Fuzzy eyes being a plot thread is interesting surprised it's not been brought up before.

Yu Gi Oh Arc V 26

Top deck to survive? Check
Insane multi turn ahead strategy? Check
Exactly as keikaku counter? Check

Great ygo chapter

So it's been a while since I read One Piece and I have finally caught up with the Zou arc.

I can't be the only one who thinks that the Zou arc lifted the meh feeling of everything after the time skip. While Fishmen island and Punkhazard weren't trash they were kind of average. Dressrossa had some really good high points, but damn did it drag a lot. With Zou it reminded me of the old One Piece I loved. I do not know why, but the twists and all the information given imo brought the series back to form. It was a short and consistent arc. I loved it more than Dressrossa.

The minks were great and got some really good character development as well as the Samurai's.

Innocent Devil 9
Yep, that's about as co-operative as I figured she'd be initially. I'm assuming it's something about the kid's dual personality that ticked her off enough to change her mind. The encounter between two lovable assistants went significantly better than I expected given the whole attempted murder thing from a few chapters back. Also I totally understand Akane's cheek-pinching compulsion.

So it's been a while since I read One Piece and I have finally caught up with the Zou arc.

I can't be the only one who thinks that the Zou arc lifted the meh feeling of everything after the time skip. While Fishmen island and Punkhazard weren't trash they were kind of average. Dressrossa had some really good high points, but damn did it drag a lot. With Zou it reminded me of the old One Piece I loved. I do not know why, but the twists and all the information given imo brought the series back to form. It was a short and consistent arc. I loved it more than Dressrossa.

The minks were great and got some really good character development as well as the Samurai's.

Zou is pretty widely liked.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Kimetsu no Yaiba - 1 to current Since people were talking about it last page, I figured I'd give it a read cause I'm in a shonen mood and maaaaaaan you guys oversold it. The manga isn't bad per say but I have so many gripes with it all over the place and I don't feel like the good ever really elevates past the bad in significant enough a way for me. To it's credit, it did get a hell of a lot better the further in, both in terms of story, fights, and art (this shocked me because I was half sure the art would continue to be rough to bad).

I think a lot of my complaints boil down to "The author didn't actually take time to think this out enough" and I feel that everywhere (especially the early parts of the manga). I think the best example is when they make an enough of a deal about breaking and repairing the sword and then he ends up throwing it away essentially the next arc. Flame Pilar guy is a lot of fun when he shows up, but it makes the mistake of thinking it can build enough of an emotional connection in just one arc (To its credit though, it makes a damn fine attempt). And don't even get me started about the fucking sister character who, despite starting off on the same physical level as the MC (Who I kinda hate tbh) is regulated to "Don't get involved in the fight! You'll get hurt!" She's got super healing kind of jackass! Let her atleast get a punch in if you're going to lug her around everywhere! Again, it does get tremendously better as the series goes on, but I thinnk the framework it's built on is bad and holds it in a lot of ways.

Though to its credit, a lot of arcs are justt straight up good like the spider one, a lot of the demons have interesting gimmicks that make the fights fun, and a lot of the side characters are pretty freaking great. Special shout out to boar guy Who I thought I would hate but ended up loving every second of.

zroid

Banned
Bungo Stray Dogs is pretty good

I really like the art in particular. The premise is kind of... generic but in a weirdly unique wrapper? I don't really get the point but I suppose it's fine otherwise.

Zou is pretty much universally praised

Chase17

One Piece 879
Enough time has been spent on Pedro's death that I'll be a bit disappointed if he is alive. Even with the whole no one dies in one piece thing.

Promised Neverland 56
Dropping all the non main kids. Venturing out with this guy should make for some interesting chapters.

We Never Learn 32
"Call me Dad" lol. Suppose we have a fourth girl in the study group now.

Black Clover 126
Finral backstory is enjoyable. Series kind of dropped the ball with making Kirsch have some sort of compelling characteristics/drive and so far hasn't fared better with Langris.

Good Yami usage.

RxL 26
At some point we will find out that Robo is amazing at basketball and it will merge into a Kuroko sequel. Interestingly Kazama has more of a presence lately than the regulars (minus maybe Rion).

I was looking forward to the training camp since the series really needs to flesh out the regulars. That said, Suzaku rolling in on a helicopter to invite Robo to watch Yozan's tournament is more interesting/hilarious. Ideally they will have a good substitute for the training camp afterwards.

Dr. Stone 28
Good chapter. The Suika getting to see/tearing up was good. Glad she seems to be keeping the goofy helmet design though. Not sure how I feel about the development that Ginro (or Kinro can't keep track) needs glasses to. Hopefully it is resolved relatively fast.

Usobuko

Banned
The new Crime and Punishment is taking it too far without the nuances of The World Is Mine.

This Crime and Punishment is just bizarre and repulsive without any meaningful.

jonjonaug

Kin no Kanojo, Gin no Kanojo 1 - 26

Been reading this, and I like it quite a bit. Its about some nobody high school student who likes the most popular girl in the school, who is pretty much a princess. Well, she hates her sheltered life and through stuff that happens, she splits into two versions of herself. And of course wackiness ensues.

It's not really a "good" manga but it's amusing and has a charm to it that's similar to a lot of old late 90s and early 00s romantic comedy manga.

Kieli

We Never Learn is so bad, but I enjoy it so much.....

It's practically the only reason why I remained subscribed to Viz lol...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Tokyo Ghoul Ch142: In general: Oh Shit! Also, Uta wearing a very Miro-like mask there. xD
Why does thr author keep announcing in big bold letters the MC has no idea what's going on guys!!!!!! After each chapter

It's not are fault you've abused a trope to such a ridiculous degree that readers expect a trope you've used again and again and again.

hajime no ippo 1192 & 1193:

giphy.gif

this fight has dragged on long enough....please just end it! the dempsy roll is not neeeded to finish this guy!!!

but out of control Ippo is the best Ippo!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
hajime no ippo 1192 & 1193:

giphy.gif

this fight has dragged on long enough....please just end it! the dempsy roll is not neeeded to finish this guy!!!

but out of control Ippo is the best Ippo!

This dude is going to die if the Dempsey even grazes him. Like, he's half dead from eating punches he's blocking. The hell is going to happen if something connects?

Promised Neverland

I think the only reason to split up is that the writer and artist probably cant keep handling keeping all these kids around, too much work. Like Don and Gilda have done nothing of note since the house moment.

We Never Learn

Id like this more if perhaps he was as attractive as Ichijou [Nisekoi]. That was like the main reason to read that, here, I cant find myself liking him week after week.

Chase17

Kimetsu no Yaiba 78
Some solid Inosuke screentime. Hopefully Uzui gets moving before Tanjiro dies lol.

Muscle mice are the MVPs of this arc. Coming in clutch again.

Shudan 13
Figures that the most innocent looking kid would be a demon on the field. Interesting that he used to play on Roku/Soshi's team. Nice art this chapter.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Black Clover 1 -22 Continuing my shonen kick and finally picking this up. Holy shit this is so good! When I talked about thought put into its arcs, this is what I meant! Just finished the arc in the ruins with the gem guy and I was honestly floored by the end of it!

If there is one thing I really did legitimately love about Fairy Tail, it was its magic guild setting and I'm glad it existed so at the very least it could clearly inspire this!

Also Juno is bae. Literally a combination of my two favorite things: Deadpan and wind bullshit.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuzumori-san ch23-24, 13.5, 19.5

That was pretty heart-breaking. Stupid Mimika.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch647-649

There's no need to follow these muscleheads' footsteps.

phaze

Why does thr author keep announcing in big bold letters the MC has no idea what's going on guys!!!!!! After each chapter

It's not are fault you've abused a trope to such a ridiculous degree that readers expect a trope you've used again and again and again.

I dunno but it's bloody awful.

who was yomo talking to? .
In all likelihood, Uta.

also tokyo ghoul is giving me the same excitement i got while reading naruto weekly

Not sure if praise or reproof lol.

RIP
Ape&Dog
Again.

Usobuko

Banned
Top Bottom