• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

Branduil

Use this thread to chew the fat about everything Shingeki no Kyoujin. No spoiler tags needed, just throw everything out there and let it all hang out.

MASSIVE SPOILERS Potato Girl is best girl.

ihD2UKZQzFBeC.png

iocBLGMAaaRCs.png

imzW4daDVEOil.png

ibjGXO89h4gj6n.png

iIRIyEgikfTQw.png

ibyIa2kIen9t3H.jpg

Also, everyone's a titan.

Dead

well not really...yet
damn

dat art looks like a high schoolers first attempt at making his own comic.

did he eat the potato tho

Lulubop

Caught up after I watched the first episode, I'm not a huge fan of the twist though how that poster on Fox predicted it was certainly impressive.

What are Gaf's theories on the ulterior motives of the Titans acting as spies? I imagine it goes all the way up to high ranking officials.

Branduil

I think the art works really well for the titans; they really do look incredibly disturbing and scary. Everything else, not so much.

duckroll

The instructor actually kinda looks like a Titan. Maybe he'll show up later on and transform too. Unless he already died, I can't even remember.

Defuser

At least he improve on later chapters. Stop giving him flak, theres plenty of big name mangakas whose art looks like crap but look amazing after a few years.

suzu

TITANS EVERYBODY IS A TITAN

The art is still amateur, but I think the panels/layout mostly work out fine. I'm sure the mangaka will improve as he goes along (like many seem to do).

Branduil

Caught up after I watched the first episode, I'm not a huge fan of the twist though how that poster on Fox predicted it was certainly impressive.

What are Gaf's theories on the ulterior motives of the Titans acting as spies? I imagine it goes all the way up to high ranking officials.

I think, at this point, a few things are obvious:

1) Every titan is a human. That's why cutting out their necks kills them, because there's a human inside of them. At the same time, it seems clear that most titans are not consciously and intelligently controlled by the human "pilots."

2) Reiner, Berthold, and Annie are doing what they do at someone else's behest, and they obviously feel the massive amount of murder they've committed is justified by whatever their goal is.

My theory is that the titans are some kind of advanced biological weapon gone horribly wrong, but we'll see.

Dresden

Eren's mom is a titan

As for the art, I don't know if he'll ever get the roughness or the erratic proportions down, but some of the action-work later on is superb. Good sense of motion and flow.

I wonder who the monkey guy is.

Also, I noticed they never show any humans when they kill the fodder Titans. So I think it's safe to assume they are unmanned while the more powerful ones are controlled like from what we've seen so far.

Branduil

I wonder who the monkey guy is.

Also, I noticed they never show any humans when they kill the fodder Titans. So I think it's safe to assume they are unmanned while the more powerful ones are controlled like from what we've seen so far.

I don't see why that's safe to assume. Otherwise, why would slicing their necks kill them? And remember, we know Conny's mom turned into a regular titan.

Uggh, why does this get it's own thread. Does this mean nobody's allowed to talk about it in the manga thread now? I hope so, because this is the worst new comic since Claymore, and I'm including Wolf Guy and The Breaker in there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53358462]Uggh, why does this get it's own thread. Does this mean nobody's allowed to talk about it in the manga thread now? I hope so, because this is the worst new comic since Claymore, and I'm including Wolf Guy and The Breaker in there.[/QUOTE]

Sanctuary Sanctuary Sanctuary

Kusagari

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53358462]Uggh, why does this get it's own thread. Does this mean nobody's allowed to talk about it in the manga thread now? I hope so, because this is the worst new comic since Claymore, and I'm including Wolf Guy and The Breaker in there.[/QUOTE]

Do you think GAF is ready for a TerraFormars thread?

I don't see why that's safe to assume. Otherwise, why would slicing their necks kill them? And remember, we know Conny's mom turned into a regular titan.

That's true. I'm just thinking since no human corpses have been discovered after all the Titans that have been killed in the manga. Unless humans that have awakened to the Titan ability disintegrate along with the Titan as well upon death.

Defuser

Reiner, Berthold, and Annie all come from the same village and Eren's dad injected something into Eren which maybe the cause of his titan form.

Have to be some kind of experiment that was performed on Reiner's village that went wrong and now conny's village. Doesn't explain why those 3 want Eren or Ymir.

And now monkey man who doesn't seem to be part of the inside.....

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You mean to tell me these fucking people can't build bigger walls because
they don't have bigger titans?
. I know this is a spoiler thread but Im not taking any chances.

At least, that's what I've heard.

duckroll

Reiner, Berthold, and Annie all come from the same village and Eren's dad injected something into Eren which maybe the cause of his titan form.

Have to be some kind of experiment that was performed on Reiner's village that went wrong and now conny's village. Doesn't explain why those 3 want Eren or Ymir.

And now monkey man who doesn't seem to be part of the inside.....

We know that there is a village or city of titan-people somewhere. I don't think they're related to the Ape titan who seems to be leading his own army. The Ape titan also doesn't know about the technology which the people behind the walls have been using, while those who sent Annie and the other out are totally aware of it since they were specifically meant to infiltrate into the army.

But who cares anyway, it's all going to be more garbage in the end because the author sucks at telling a compelling story at all. Fast forward, flash back, fast forward, flashback. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I know what's inside the basement: It's the author's big fat ass asking us to pull the ending out of it for him while he keeps farting.

You mean to tell me these fucking people can't build bigger walls because
they don't have bigger titans?
. I know this is a spoiler thread but Im not taking any chances.

At least, that's what I've heard.

But then the other side would just have to build a bigger titan to knock down that bigger titan wall, necessitating an even bigger titan wall, and the next thing you know your economy is collapsing because you're spending all your money on researching how to build bigger titans.

Branduil

We know that there is a village or city of titan-people somewhere. I don't think they're related to the Ape titan who seems to be leading his own army. The Ape titan also doesn't know about the technology which the people behind the walls have been using, while those who sent Annie and the other out are totally aware of it since they were specifically meant to infiltrate into the army.

But who cares anyway, it's all going to be more garbage in the end because the author sucks at telling a compelling story at all. Fast forward, flash back, fast forward, flashback. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I know what's inside the basement: It's the author's big fat ass asking us to pull the ending out of it for him while he keeps farting.

LOL

Maybe it's just the incredibly low expectations I have for shounen in general, but I don't have a big problem with the storytelling in the manga. I mean just the fact that the author has a clear enough plan from the beginning to put in all that foreshadowing shows me that he has an idea of where he wants to go with the story.

Lulubop

The King is gonna be a Titan and stuff.

Also yea, I thought Ymir was a dude. I don't mind the crappy art too much.

Maybe it's just me. But the titan that supposedly munched on Reiner/Berthold's family looks completely different from Titan Ymir. Maybe the artist changed Ymir's titan design later on but if I remember correctly the only thing they shared in common was black hair.

Branduil

Escalation.

We start building bigger walls and they start making bigger Titans. We start carrying semi-automatics and they buy automatics.

You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the people that, like, a farmer and his family will be murdered, or an entire squadron of scouts gets eaten by a titan, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when I say that one little old wall will get smashed, well then everyone loses their minds!

duckroll

LOL

Maybe it's just the incredibly low expectations I have for shounen in general, but I don't have a big problem with the storytelling in the manga. I mean just the fact that the author has a clear enough plan from the beginning to put in all that foreshadowing shows me that he has an idea of where he wants to go with the story.

Oh I don't have a problem with his plan. It's not a poorly planned manga. It's just awfully written. The direction of the actual narrative is just so bad, it makes the events less enjoyable and more annoying to read. All I can think of now is "oh, he's doing THAT again, lame." every single time he pulls the same formula:

- short time skip
- vague details about how the situation has changed since the timeskip to keep the reader in the dark
- show some scenes of supporting characters talking to each other about something, this might or might not be out of context

- present the new OBJECTIVE of the characters
- the characters go about on this objective

- SURPRISE THE OBJECTIVE IS A NARRATIVE FOIL, IT DOESN'T MATTER OR IT WAS A PLOY BY THE CHARACTERS ALL ALONG!

- flashback to the point just before the time skipped period
- show the main characters talking in detail about stuff the reader knew nothing about because of the shitty narrative style the author likes to use
- suck all the tension out of the events because it's not REALLY a surprise or twist, because it was planned all along!

RINSE. REPEAT. x9999999999999999999999

Branduil

Oh I don't have a problem with his plan. It's not a poorly planned manga. It's just awfully written. The direction of the actual narrative is just so bad, it makes the events less enjoyable and more annoying to read. All I can think of now is "oh, he's doing THAT again, lame." every single time he pulls the same formula:

- short time skip
- vague details about how the situation has changed since the timeskip to keep the reader in the dark
- show some scenes of supporting characters talking to each other about something, this might or might not be out of context

- present the new OBJECTIVE of the characters
- the characters go about on this objective

- SURPRISE THE OBJECTIVE IS A NARRATIVE FOIL, IT DOESN'T MATTER OR IT WAS A PLOY BY THE CHARACTERS ALL ALONG!

- flashback to the point just before the time skipped period
- show the main characters talking in detail about stuff the reader knew nothing about because of the shitty narrative style the author likes to use
- suck all the tension out of the events because it's not REALLY a surprise or twist, because it was planned all along!

RINSE. REPEAT. x9999999999999999999999

I guess he hasn't abused it enough to annoy me yet. At least the recent reveal was novel, LOL.

Top Bottom