• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Definitely a possibility. DUP need to reflect as it was a poor night for them. If they want devolution to work Arlene has to show some pragmatism and, temporarily at least, step aside.

That'd be nice, even many DUP members want her to step aside for stability.

I have no idea how Good Friday is going to survive Brexit.

Well, UK law can be read into the EU law the Good Friday Agreement mentioned, but Northern Ireland has a significant agricultural component to its economy that is going to be hurt badly by Brexit and losing the European market access. It's a bigger deal for Northern Ireland than it is for Scotland economically, in actual fact.

It also has a huge, meandering border that will become an external EU border and require customs checks. That's complicated. Yes, it's just ~2 million people and has a significant public sector (which doesn't make money nor is expected to make money) that won't be affected per se, but the overall economic effect will be large. Hopefully everything I've just mentioned doesn't cause significant problems.

Mr. Sam

The timing of this grammar schools business baffles me. I understand May wants to get the focus back on the domestic side of things but 1) it's a stupid policy, which you can find out by asking anybody in the teaching profession, which leads to 2) there might even be enough Tory MPs opposed to it to harpoon it in the Commons.

Edit: Oh, and William Hague is calling for a snap election - for some reason.

Uzzy

New polling figures out today.

Conservatives: 44% (no change from Guardian/ICM two weeks ago)

Labour: 28% (up 2)

Ukip: 11% (down 2)

Lib Dems: 8% (no change)

Greens: 5% (up 1)

Conservative lead: 16 points (down 2)

There's also figures on economic competence: Who would be better able to manage the economy.

Theresa May and Philip Hammond: 43%

Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell: 12%

Neither: 29%

Don’t know: 17%

Conservative lead: 31 points

Not looking good for Labour really.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The timing of this grammar schools business baffles me. I understand May wants to get the focus back on the domestic side of things but 1) it's a stupid policy, which you can find out by asking anybody in the teaching profession, which leads to 2) there might even be enough Tory MPs opposed to it to harpoon it in the Commons.

This is something I'm rather in two minds about, particularly comparing the schools round here with the education that I had (got into grammar school, which then turned comprehensive a year later - so essentially had best of both worlds, grammar school education and social mix of a comp - though the social mix wasn't that big a thing being as it was in South Wales).

The negative side is of course selection at a young age, and the correspondent branding of people as successes/failures at about 11. The positive side is that, for those selected especially in poorer areas, it can be a huge and effective engine for social mobility.

I think much of the opposition to grammars, and it is sensible opposition I don't deny it, is that they favour the children of rich pushy parents who bang up house prices in the catchment areas and exacerbate social divisions. That's true in much of the South East I guess, and was so even in the southern suburbs of Manchester in the 70s and 80s.

Where I see things much more positively is in the predominantly poorer areas where there really aren't enough rich pushy parents around to monopolise the grammars. South Wales, South Yorkshire, West Lancashire, Cornwall, much of the old industrial Midlands and the urban South West and probably more.

A lot comes down to what selection is based on, and on how narrow the selection is.

This policy seems to be being pushed as "supporting the top 10%", and that seems to me just misguided and built to attract pushy parents. Where I grew up i was more like 50%. It seems to me that really what's happening is being able to exclude the bottom 10-20% of disruptive blighters who spend their lives fucking up teachers. If classroom discipline is occupying 80% of teachers' energy then there is something seriously wrong - and that is more or less what is happening in my town now. And it saps the ambition from otherwise smart kids who are keen to learn.

(Sorry if this sounds like an incoherent rant. It probably is - just trying to work my thoughts out. To try and clarify, there are four comprehensive schools here sharing the same catchment area and if I had a wish I would not turn one of them into a grammar, I would turn three of them).

Edit: Oh, and William Hague is calling for a snap election - for some reason.

For mandate for Brexit to scupper the Lords possibly? Or it could be just for pure political advantage ...

Audioboxer

New polling figures out today.

There's also figures on economic competence: Who would be better able to manage the economy.

Not looking good for Labour really.

1N0UjV3.jpg

Labour is wasted, and they didn't do much to increase their popularity north of the border either.

Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell: 12%

kmag

This is something I'm rather in two minds about, particularly comparing the schools round here with the education that I had (got into grammar school, which then turned comprehensive a year later - so essentially had best of both worlds, grammar school education and social mix of a comp - though the social mix wasn't that big a thing being as it was in South Wales).

The negative side is of course selection at a young age, and the correspondent branding of people as successes/failures at about 11. The positive side is that, for those selected especially in poorer areas, it can be a huge and effective engine for social mobility.

I think much of the opposition to grammars, and it is sensible opposition I don't deny it, is that they favour the children of rich pushy parents who bang up house prices in the catchment areas and exacerbate social divisions. That's true in much of the South East I guess, and was so even in the southern suburbs of Manchester in the 70s and 80s.

Where I see things much more positively is in the predominantly poorer areas where there really aren't enough rich pushy parents around to monopolise the grammars. South Wales, South Yorkshire, West Lancashire, Cornwall, much of the old industrial Midlands and the urban South West and probably more.

A lot comes down to what selection is based on, and on how narrow the selection is.

This policy seems to be being pushed as "supporting the top 10%", and that seems to me just misguided and built to attract pushy parents. Where I grew up i was more like 50%. It seems to me that really what's happening is being able to exclude the bottom 10-20% of disruptive blighters who spend their lives fucking up teachers. If classroom discipline is occupying 80% of teachers' energy then there is something seriously wrong - and that is more or less what is happening in my town now. And it saps the ambition from otherwise smart kids who are keen to learn.

(Sorry if this sounds like an incoherent rant. It probably is - just trying to work my thoughts out. To try and clarify, there are four comprehensive schools here sharing the same catchment area and if I had a wish I would not turn one of them into a grammar, I would turn three of them).

For mandate for Brexit to scupper the Lords possibly? Or it could be just for pure political advantage ...

The problem is is that all the evidence suggests grammars are ridiculously poor at promoting social mobility and overall standards for the education, and just end up severely punishing those who aren't selected (the unworthy poor hence why Tories love the notion) They're basically private schools for the middle classes who can't afford private schools, but even the middle classes end up hating them when little Jill and Jack can't get in despite the coaching.

No one can come up with any decent non-anecdotal evidence of grammars actually raising attainment across the system. Typically the concentration of resources into grammars simply lowers standards elsewhere in the system.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh I don't know about that. There's a whole lot of interesting stuff behind the scenes in the Conservative Party, and the LibDems, and UKIP, and the SNP, and the NI parties, and with the dear old House of Lords. Everywhere except Labour really.

Budget on Wednesday might be have some entertaining moments too.
It's really more like the only interesting stuff in Labour is behind the scenes. But the PLP seem to have given up on their strategy of leaking every bit of bad news possible so we don't get to hear any of it.

I'd love to know how the foam-flecked Hard Brexiters managed to twist May's arm into flinging herself into the worst possible Brexit too.

Mr. Sam

I'd love to know how the foam-flecked Hard Brexiters managed to twist May's arm into flinging herself into the worst possible Brexit too.

The complete lack of pressure on May's left flank. I think those expecting a pivot post-Article 50 are going to be disappointed.

Uzzy

Queen's Sapphire Jubilee should be marked with a bank holiday.

The UK should mark the Queen's 65th year on the throne with a bank holiday, a Conservative MP has said.

Romford MP Andrew Rosindell said it would be a "missed opportunity" not to have a national day of celebration.

He will present his Queen's Sapphire Jubilee Bill to the Commons on Tuesday, in a bid to set aside a day in June this year for commemorative events.

Finally a Tory proposal I can get behind.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The freest of free market trading.

Then after that we can UNxit.

Farage has top men working on Earthxit.

Top men.

Like astrophysicist and Nobel Laureate Paul Nuttall.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also somebody pointed out to me today that Tim Farron is an anagram of Minor Fart. Once this knowledge goes viral, the Liberal Democrats will be finished.

mclem

Also somebody pointed out to me today that Tim Farron is an anagram of Minor Fart. Once this knowledge goes viral, the Liberal Democrats will be finished.

I find it unfair that his name isn't Tim Farnon; it's just that one substitution away from being an anagram of "informant".

I think the whole grammar thing works better in the tripartite system it was originally presented in (and in the time, admittedly). We only see grammar schools as doing very well and comps doing comparatively badly because there's absolutely no provision for those who aren't academically minded (and granted, not many are academically minded at the age of 10, but still).

If it were actually a system that, for want of a slightly better term, "sorted" people into appropriate schools for whatever aptitude they had thus far shown (with some room to manouvre afterwards for those incorrectly sorted), then I don't think the siphoning off of the upper middle classes into the more academic sphere would actually be a problem. That said, expecting a school system to keep in step with the job needs of the next ~50 years is unreasonable. I say all this as a grammar school boy.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Interesting listening to Heseltine in the Lords on Brexit.

I'll get back to the grammar schools thing later this week, got a hell of a cold at the moment.

Pancake Mix

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well if the PM can wait a year, this hasn't been the end of the world in over 100 years. It can delay the timetable completely which is big, but still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_Acts_1911_and_1949

The Lords can only delay things 1 year at maximum if the House of Commons won't budge.

Right, but if the Lords hold out for a whole year and negotiations take the expected two years, you're smack bang on a general election just a month or two after the deal is concluded. That could put May in a really difficult position.

Pancake Mix

Right, but if the Lords hold out for a whole year and negotiations take the expected two years, you're smack bang on a general election just a month or two after the deal is concluded. That could put May in a really difficult position.

Well, that's the problem with running referendums that will have enormous consequences are aren't remotely evenly supported between levels of government and across the sovereign state in general.

It can potentially work, but it will be incredibly challenging. This is just the start, this is nothing.

They're asking for a snap general election wherein she will win a majority of sufficient size that they can't readily oppose it. Hard to see what their goal is at the mo.

Pancake Mix

They're asking for a snap general election wherein she will win a majority of sufficient size that they can't readily oppose it. Hard to see what their goal is at the mo.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/downing-street-rejects-snap-election-calls-as-not-in-countrys-interests-a3483441.html

Seems like the perfect time as it would allow her to wait out the House of Lords comfortably with plenty of time to spare, as well as gaining more seats due to Labour's poor leadership right now.

But really, all for a couple more years they will probably get anyway and a few extra seats from a Labour that is relatively tolerant of Brexit at the moment? I can see why it may not be wise.

Uzzy

Budget day today. Sky News are suggesting that it could be record breakingly short, so it's probably going to be a bit dull.

Budget day today. Sky News are suggesting that it could be record breakingly short, so it's probably going to be a bit dull.

Due to Hammond moving it to November there's going to be 2 budgets again this year so I'd imagine the November one will be more substantial.

Lagamorph

The Driverless technology joke about Labour was legitimately amazing.

"We will also invest in driverless technology, a project the Labour party knows something about"

Ashes

Banned

It was pretty brief. Barely got any buzz words in there too.

Biggest surprise for me was taking a few bob from company directors. That's Tory heartland isn't it?

jelly

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/solar-industry-budget-2017-800-per-cent-tax-increase-green-renewable-energy-a7618191.html?amp

Britain’s solar industry is facing devastation and consumers could see energy bills rise after the Chancellor Philip Hammond refused to listen to pleas to cancel a planned tax hike of up to 800 per cent on rooftop solar schemes.

The Solar Trade Association described the Government’s refusal to bend over the increase – due to come into force in April – as “nonsensical” and “absurd”.

Bizarrely, state schools with solar panels will be forced to pay, while private schools will remain exempt.

Print medias headlines for tomorrow are not impressed with the budget at all. You do not cut the brakes on the White Van Man.

You have to think this govt has gotten so full of itself that they could avoid critical headlines from the Brexit loving right wing papers.

Also shows the utter idiocy of their pledges at the last election, because they're having to break their own manifesto they're getting bad headlines from something that economists say makes sense.

Mr. Sam

Like I've said before, May's government is borne aloft by a total lack of opposition from the left rather than any relationships it's cultivated with the press or any particularly broad support from Tory MPs, and her grasp on power is therefore more tenuous than one might think. Unfortunately for, well, the country, that means she's more likely to pander to the far right to keep that wing of her party - and the right wing press - onside (as we've seen with her nonsensically prioritising a "clean Brexit").

Like I've said before, May's government is borne aloft by a total lack of opposition from the left rather than any relationships it's cultivated with the press or any particularly broad support from Tory MPs, and her grasp on power is therefore more tenuous than one might think. Unfortunately for, well, the country, that means she's more likely to pander to the far right to keep that wing of her party - and the right wing press - onside (as we've seen with her nonsensically prioritising a "clean Brexit").

Exactly. Despite her tiny majority, she's hardly against the ropes. Given the Tory poll lead, Corbyn's ineffectiveness and Labour's fear of a general election, there's really no better time to do the things that they think are "unpopular but necessary". Save the giveaways and good headlines for when they need it, I guess.

Uzzy

The image of laughing Tories while they announce a National Insurance increase, thereby breaking a manifesto pledge, should be a nightmare for them. The front pages of the papers today should have them panicking.

But instead they'll be fine. 'White Van Man' won't vote for Corbyn even if he promised the world.

Didn't you hear? Raising NI for the self-employed is fair!

Let's ignore the fact that they don't get any job security, sick pay, pension scheme, or maternity / paternity leave.

Fairness for all!

Number45

Didn't you hear? Raising NI for the self-employed is fair!

Let's ignore the fact that they don't get any job security, sick pay, pension scheme, or maternity / paternity leave.

Fairness for all!
Not wanting to jump to their defence, but not all of this accurate right? They specifically said that they believed this was warranted precisely because some of those benefits are now available to the self-employed (a pension at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom