• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

kinda offtopic but I find it curious that a tolkien-lover/power metal-listener/fantasy art pseudo-geek friend of mine just "liked" the first season and got bored with AGOT (the book) and hasn't finished yet, saying GRRM has convinced her yet. And here I thought she was going to love it and would be dying to read the books one after another.

Opinions, it seems, truly are like arseholes.

kinda offtopic but I find it curious that a tolkien-lover/power metal-listener/fantasy art pseudo-geek friend of mine just "liked" the first season and got bored with AGOT (the book) and hasn't finished yet, saying GRRM has convinced her yet. And here I thought she was going to love it and would be dying to read the books one after another.

Opinions, it seems, truly are like arseholes.

To be fair there are many fantasy fans who don't like Martin. And Tolkien fans might be especially sensitive to claims that Martin is the "anti-Tolkien" and thus eliminating the various tropes of LOTR

I can especially see why a huge Tolkien fan of world building fantasy might not like ASOIAF.

Altazor

To be fair there are many fantasy fans who don't like Martin. And Tolkien fans might be especially sensitive to claims that Martin is the "anti-Tolkien" and thus eliminating the various tropes of LOTR

I can especially see why a huge Tolkien fan of world building fantasy might not like ASOIAF.

I AM a huge Tolkien fan and I love ASOIAF :lol

q_q

I don't think it's so much the world-building aspect as it is the fantasy aspect. GRRM does quite a bit of world building in AFFC and ADWD, but the fantasy element of his series is minuscule compared to most fantasy in the vein of LOTR. So I think a person looking for high fantasy in this series may be a bit disappointed when it comes across much more like a historical epic.

StuBurns

Banned
Why is it that you never see one person direct every episode of a television season?

Is it just too much work?
Episodes aren't produced in isolation typically, you have second units working on other scenes, which make up the majority of an episode at any given time. You just can't have a single director on most shows. You could for something like a sitcom though.

I'm looking for a few volunteers to help answer questions from the No Book Spoilers thread via PM. Basically, if someone over there had a question that's spoilerish or needed clarification on something from the show, there will be a list of GAFfers that are ready and able to provide answers. The intent is to free up the No Book Spoilers thread for new viewers to enjoy and discuss and to not have constant chatter from book readers over there.

Please only volunteer if 1) you really want to do this 2) you're on GAF a lot and have the time to answer questions 3) you're very familiar with the books and are ready to provide useful and correct information. If you match that criteria, send me a PM and let me know that you're up for it. Thanks for your help.

Puddles

Banned
I kinda feel bad for the original actress who was supposed to play Dany, Tamzin Merchant. She isn't bad looking at all, but she isn't in the same ballpark as Emilia, and I've read rumors that this was the main reason the part was recast.

It must suck to hear the equivalent of "Yeah, we're going to replace you in this role because the fans don't think you're pretty enough, and we realized they're right."

I kinda feel bad for the original actress who was supposed to play Dany, Tamzin Merchant. She isn't bad looking at all, but she isn't in the same ballpark as Emilia, and I've read rumors that this was the main reason the part was recast.

It must suck to hear the equivalent of "Yeah, we're going to replace you in this role because the fans don't think you're pretty enough, and we realized they're right."

Nothing against that actress, but at this point I cannot fathom anyone but Emilia playing Dany. They definitely made the right call.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Funny the show runners didn't mention this during the commentary. :lol

Pollux

Could you explain this a little more? I have no idea why someone who loves Tolkein would dislike Martin...and I can't really think of a good reason.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I disagree. If you're not hooked by "the things I do for love," then you're not going to enjoy this show. That sentiment has held true for all of my friends and family who have given the show a chance.

People will likely disagree but I actually thought the delivery of that line was pretty flat. I love jaime's actor, and that incident was shocking I'm sure, but I still thought that particular line left a lot to be desired in its performance.

Could you explain this a little more? I have no idea why someone who loves Tolkein would dislike Martin...and I can't really think of a good reason.

The opposite is true for me. Martin and Abercrombie are the only fantasy writers I like. Tolkien is tres boring to me.

StuBurns

Banned

Clarke is too attractive at times. While it's a fantasy setting, and you don't want rotten teeth or anything like a medieval real world would have, it is kind of distracting at times. The men all look like grizzly manly men as they should.

I'm looking for a few volunteers to help answer questions from the No Book Spoilers thread via PM. Basically, if someone over there had a question that's spoilerish or needed clarification on something from the show, there will be a list of GAFfers that are ready and able to provide answers. The intent is to free up the No Book Spoilers thread for new viewers to enjoy and discuss and to not have constant chatter from book readers over there.

Please only volunteer if 1) you really want to do this 2) you're on GAF a lot and have the time to answer questions 3) you're very familiar with the books and are ready to provide useful and correct information. If you match that criteria, send me a PM and let me know that you're up for it. Thanks for your help.

I'll do it, sure.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I can also help answer questions in the other thread. It should be noted I've only completed the first two books.

scosher

Clarke is too attractive at times. While it's a fantasy setting, and you don't want rotten teeth or anything like a medieval real world would have, it is kind of distracting at times. The men all look like grizzly manly men as they should.

Clarke looks better IRL than she does on the show imo. I don't dig the platinum blonde hair. She was a perfect Dany though, and if anyone, the actress that played Doreah was probably "too attractive" since imo she caught my eye more than Dany when they were in scenes together.

The largest complaints I've heard from Tolkien fans concerns Martin's world building and overall narrative arc. As a fan, I'd argue his world building is solid, especially in the last couple books. But Tolkien created entire languages for races, and detailed histories that go back thousands of years. Sure, Martin has some of that in terms of family histories, and often says he likes telling a story backwards and forwards so readers know how the world began. Yet it's safe to say the sheer detail doesn't match Tolkien's work. Martin would definitely agree with that assessment as well.

In terms of narrative arc some people prefer the simple, consistent story of LOTR over the more scattered one Martin has created.

Finally there's the argument over prose and writing in general. Tolkien was a linguist and master of the English language, many of his fans would argue his works are simply better written than Martin's.

(personally I like ASOIAF more than LOTR)

The largest complaints I've heard from Tolkien fans concerns Martin's world building and overall narrative arc. As a fan, I'd argue his world building is solid, especially in the last couple books. But Tolkien created entire languages for races, and detailed histories that go back thousands of years. Sure, Martin has some of that in terms of family histories, and often says he likes telling a story backwards and forwards so readers know how the world began. Yet it's safe to say the sheer detail doesn't match Tolkien's work. Martin would definitely agree with that assessment as well.

In terms of narrative arc some people prefer the simple, consistent story of LOTR over the more scattered one Martin has created.

Finally there's the argument over prose and writing in general. Tolkien was a linguist and master of the English language, many of his fans would argue his works are simply better written than Martin's.

I bet a lot of LOTR fans prefer their stories to be good vs. evil and are turned off by all the grey matter in ASOIAF.

They mention the pilot was shot on film and the new stuff is digital. I would like to see the pilot sometime.

Also I didn't like Jaime's accent in the 1st episode. I think it got better as the series went on.

StuBurns

Banned
Clarke looks better IRL than she does on the show imo. I don't dig the platinum blonde hair. She was a perfect Dany though, and if anyone, the actress that played Doreah was probably "too attractive" since imo she caught my eye more than Dany when they were in scenes together.
It's a difficult thing to articulate, they need to be attractive certainly, but for example, the woman from the North they 'capture', she's provocative, it makes sense in the context of the show, but she's not exactly beautiful. She looks like what I imagine a woman from a couple of hundred years ago should look like. Not some pristine model. The guys are handsome too, but they're scrappy looking.

I have no issue with sexuality in TV, when it feels like it's in service of the story, but a lot of scenes in GoT felt like they were for titillation. Having exceptionally beautiful women in those roles really enforced that for me.

gutshot

I'm pretty sure you can tell the old stuff in the pilot. There's shots of like Tyrion in the Bone Zone that look way grainier than even Jamie's reax shots.

Also Sean Bean's hair looks approximately 23948723 times better. Still bitter about him cutting his hair and then having to wear that horrible wig.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm pretty sure you can tell the old stuff in the pilot. There's shots of like Tyrion in the Bone Zone that look way grainier than even Jamie's reax shots.
The scene where Cersei calls Sansa up to the table and asks her a bunch of questions is actually half original pilot and half episode 1. Sansa's half is the original pilot and she is younger than her other parts and Cat/Cersei is episode 1 because they recast Cat from the pilot. Also, Robert and Ned in the crypt is the original pilot.

I was watching "Winter is Coming" yesterday and I did notice some grain in scenes. Had no idea that was from an entirely different shoot on film. Makes a lot of sense now.

Just a remind that HBO is airing Baelor tonight at 10pm ET.
With Sansaʼs life in danger, Ned makes a fateful decision. Catelyn brokers an unsavory deal with the slippery Walder Frey. Tyrion acquires a mistress and is forced by his father to fight on the front lines.

I'll do it, sure.
I can also help answer questions in the other thread. It should be noted I've only completed the first two books.
Added you both.

apana

How far, full book series?

I think it is revealed by accident that one of the characters lives up till ADWD. Other than that I can't remember too many spoilers. It's mostly George talking about how the books got started and his work in television along with talk about the filming of the current show. Some of the cast members tell which character they think is most like George. I've only finished the first two parts.

Doesn't he read a chapter from TWoW in that?

Oh shit I think you are right. The first two parts are safe I think but I would still not watch unless you have read the books. With these kinds of interviews you can never tell what someone will say.

KingK

The actress that plays Doreah is stupidly hot.

My god, yes. Hottest girl in the show, imo. That scene with her and Viserys in the hot tub was just...*shudders*

I can help. I read through all the books just over a year ago, and most of it is still fresh in my head.

Pollux

Got it.

I've heard the complaint from a couple LOTR fans that ASOIAF isn't even what they consider "high fantasy".

I bet a lot of LOTR fans prefer their stories to be good vs. evil and are turned off by all the grey matter in ASOIAF.

This is part of the thing that turns me off with LOTR, that it is so cut and dry and good vs. evil. The only characters in that series that are even remotely complex would be Boromir and his father.

Dragon

Banned
This is part of the thing that turns me off with LOTR, that it is so cut and dry and good vs. evil. The only characters in that series that are even remotely complex would be Boromir and his father.

I'd add Wormtongue and Saruman as well. But yeah it's definitely absolute on one side or the other.

UraMallas

I love Lord of the Rings but that is definitely something I like about Martin's work with ASoIaF compared to LotR. The grey area makes for a more interesting read, for me.

Arment

I like that they don't smack you across the head with the fantasy elements. They're rare enough that when they happen you pay attention and know it's a big moment.

UraMallas

I like that they don't smack you across the head with the fantasy elements. They're rare enough that when they happen you pay attention and know it's a big moment.

Agreed. It makes the magic more impactful than something in, say, Gardens of the Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom