• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox and Microsoft have come to terms over Killer Instinct trademark

Killer Instinct was never good. People only liked it because it looked graphically impressive at the time. Bring back Jet Force Gemini instead.

If i were to make a list of things that make a great fighting game, ki would have none of them but it still somehow manages to be amazingly fun. Probably because of how different it is compared to every other fighter ever.

lupinko

I don't know why this was an issue for MS, the Killer Instinct trademark has been around since the mid-90s.

Well it's good that it's over, hopefully KI comes back in some form.

Will always remember going to a local arcade, and seeing Killer Instinct for the first time.

Damn, was that looking good.

They could still do a good fighter out of what it had on characters and lore.

But I somehow worry, if contemporary RARE gets to do this new game....

Liamario

Banned
It will actually be something like this.
-Room goes dark.

-Killer Instinct announcer says "MS is proud to present.....KILLER INSTINCT!".

-Crowd cheers!

-Killer Instinct title screen appears and the crowd is still going crazy!

-Months later, game releases

-Sales disappoint

gaming_noob

Loved the original Killer Instinct in the arcade... back in the days of the "Ultra 64"
ULTRAAAAAA, ULTRAAAAA, ULTRAAAA, ULTRAAA, ultraaa, ultraa, ultra..............

Ultras were great, but Ultimate was the way to go!
The first time I pulled off an Ultimate was by accident... the voice over seemed so subtle in comparison to "Ultraaaa" but more of a brooding/evil sound.

Takuya

Banned
Ultras were great, but Ultimate was the way to go!
The first time I pulled off an Ultimate was by accident... the voice over seemed so subtle in comparison to "Ultraaaa" but more of a brooding/evil sound.

Eh, manual Ultra combos at the arcade was the shit.

NeoGIF

ikdivznne3phv-7499f6c6-original.gif

it1KvtP6zsfC.gif
i4y6qVOg33DQG.gif

Dat Orchid!

Screw you guys. I enjoy KI, and it holds up just fine for me. Sure, it's not a tournament-quality game but I find it fun to play.

I'm hoping for XBLA releases of 1+2, mainly.

stn

Make it happen. I want all the characters from 1, 2, and Gold. And new ones as well.

shuri

Banned
Why do I have the feeling that people posting in this thread never played the game at all when it came out? PoserGAF in full effect as usual

Killer instinct's impact in the arcade was gigantic. It made every other fighting game feel 'old' and primitive. The linups were huge and emptied the *sf2*, mk2 and neogeo cabs. It even manage to seriously take away from the thunder of the release of MK3 which came out a bit after, which THE arcade franchise at the time. VF2 was seriously hurt by it too. I remember that it came out at around the same

Fans are always bugging Ed Boon everyday about a KI vs MK game, so the franchise still has a following.

Of course the fighting engine feels primitive now, but back then it was pretty damn neat. I think the lore and characters need a refresh, they REALLY REALLY smells of the '90.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why do I have the feeling that people posting in this thread never played the game at all when it came out? PoserGAF in full effect as usual

Killer instinct's impact in the arcade was gigantic. It made every other fighting game feel 'old' and primitive. The linups were huge and emptied the *sf2*, mk2 and neogeo cabs. It even manage to seriously take away from the thunder of the release of MK3, which THE arcade franchise at the time. VF2 was seriously hurt by it too. I remember that it came out at around the same

Fans are always bugging Ed Boon everyday about a KI vs MK game, so the franchise still has a following.

Of course the fighting engine els primitive now, but back then it was pretty damn neat. I think the lore and characters need a refresh, they REALLY REALLY smells of the '90.

Gigantic is as hyperbolic as I've read. I frequented many arcades across Southern California a lot in the 80's and 90's. It was terrible and most around me agreed. It never earned its money back and as I said, was basically allowed to be played free at one arcade I visited often.

You may as well scrap most of the characters as they weren't that good. As you said, scrap it. Keep the name and try and sell it on whatever appeal it may have.

Killer instinct's impact in the arcade was gigantic. It made every other fighting game feel 'old' and primitive. The linups were huge and emptied the *sf2*, mk2 and neogeo cabs. It even manage to seriously take away from the thunder of the release of MK3 which came out a bit after, which THE arcade franchise at the time. VF2 was seriously hurt by it too. I remember that it came out at around the same

Of course the fighting engine feels primitive now, but back then it was pretty damn neat. I think the lore and characters need a refresh, they REALLY REALLY smells of the '90.

What? I'm sorry but the only Gigantic thing about KI was the cabinet.

FyreWulff

What's wrong with the PD port? The only issues I had with it was the input lag for online Co-op.

Some issues were patched later, but

- Releasing it with the original control scheme nowhere to be found, which is like re-releasing Street Fighter without a separate kick button. Even Halo and CoD have a Perfect Dark control scheme option. Didn't even have lefty swap either, which is a standard FPS feature (and an option you can set as default in the dashboard). Was eventually patched back in, although it's still broken for zooming and quick-weapon selection

- Online multiplayer only allowed to to search for games by yourself. The only way to go in as a party was to be in the same box. You had to all start search at the same time and hope you ended up in the same game. You were better off in private games.

- In private online games, you cannot select the team you are on, nor can the host assign teams. You can only select prefabbed (random) teams or configurations like Humans Vs Bots. WHY. (You can select and assign teams in offline/splitscreen games like the original game)

This the team options online:

G1TONbCl.jpg

Switch the lobby to local and suddenly you can actually select teams:

LnXnkoHl.jpg

wat

- Hey, we have a first person shooter that a lot of people wish they could have LANned back in the day. Let's omit LAN completely.

- Can't use cheats for private games online. If you want to play with infinite ammo no reloads or infinite laptop turret ammo, you can only do it in splitscreen. No DK mode, no Hurricane Fists, etc for online play.

I'll give them credit for cool stuff like counter-op matchmaking, the splitscreen option for online co-op (sounds strange, but it's a feature I really like and thought it was cool for them to include as an option, really helpful in coordinating speedruns) but otherwise, keep 4J away from porting Rare games ever again plz

Wonko_C

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I loved the franchise because of the unique combo system. KI 1 maybe not so much because it was a turtler's paradise: matches were reduced to the two players crouching for hours doing nothing because the defense system was practically "free parrying" from SF3. The combo system was convoluted because knowing which button continued the combo was totally arbitrary and restrictive.

The combo system became more logical in Killer Instinct 2 with the Opener--->lower strenght button for auto-double--->linker--->lower strength button for auto-double--->finisher, while still having some leeway for manual combos and juggles. And most of them were ground-based combos, not this pinball shit from UMVC3 (don't get me wrong, I like Marvel).

The combo breakers were simplified from "getting lucky guessing which one of the 6 buttons breaks the combo" to "break it with punch or kick depending on which one did the opponent used", which lead to some great mind games. And the defense was fixed so no more turtling.

KI2 on the arcades even had multiple endings per character depending on who you spared and who you killed. (Sadly absent in KI Gold for N64)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If all we get out of this is arcade-perfect ports of KI1 and KI2 on XBLA, then it'll be worth it.

I know of a Play N' Trade in Jensen Beach that has a KI1 cab set to free play, but I don't want to drive 45 minutes to relive some of my childhood.

You'd think they could have had a better photocopy than that. Looking forward to an eventual KI HD collection and maybe even a new game. I enjoy the craziness of KI absurdity.

I think I was too busy playing Mk2 in the arcade to remember playing the KI cabinet, but I do remember almost every one of my friends having that black SNES copy.

I'm sure someone can find numbers on how well it did.

RetroStu

Banned
I love the way the people feel the need to come into a thread for a game they don't care about just to tell us that they don't care about it, its so cool.

One of the few thing that will get me to get a 720 at launch. MS has a new customer if the can do this in as good quality as the MK reboot. :)

tsab

At least someone cares at Microsoft to sign a paper for the trademark claim :p
Now please DON'T make a Kinect Instinct

abadguy

Banned

SF2, KOF and Samurai Showdown was still far better than that shitty mash up of Street fighter and MK with it's "Dial a combo" crap( then MK felt the need to rip off that aspect in 3 for some reason). Don't even get me started on the awful character designs, which was a shame since for the most part at the time it had excellent graphics but Rare's art design killed it. Still many of my friends loved the game, i wasn't feeling it at all.

If KI is truly making a comeback it would need a massive overhaul for me to give a shit. Rare/MS should just handle the graphics aspects and hire someone like DIMPS to work on anything that has to do with gameplay and for the love of all that's holy hire a decent character designer!

There's definitely some KI game coming, no way would MS chase this down and spend money just to keep the patent in the archives.

SF2, KOF and Samurai Showdown was still far better than that shitty mash up of Street fighter and MK with it's "Dial a combo" crap( then MK felt the need to rip off that aspect in 3 for some reason). Don't even get me started on the awful character designs, which was a shame since for the most part at the time it had excellent graphics but Rare's art design killed it. Still many of my friends loved the game, i wasn't feeling it at all.

If KI is truly making a comeback it would need a massive overhaul for me to give a shit. Rare/MS should just handle the graphics aspects and hire someone like DIMPS to work on anything that has to do with gameplay and for the love of all that's holy hire a decent character designer!

Mk3 and KIs combo systems were completely different.

shandy706

I love the way the people feel the need to come into a thread for a game they don't care about just to tell us that they don't care about it, its so cool.

Yeah, it wouldn't fly in a lot of threads. Gotta love the stupid "Kinect" jokes too.

I absolutely loved Killer Instinct in the Arcades (and the poor console ports..lol). I would be all over HD remakes or a sort of "Ultimate Killer Instinct" with all the old characters and some new ones.

Of course I would like a new Perfect Dark and JFG too. Heck, I want a new Conker and Banjo to go with it too. I'll take any GOOD/AAA remake/sequel at launch. I suspect RARE is working on Perfect Dark...just based on who they have hired.

If people didn't the thread would be dead :(

Truth be told my memory of KI was fun for a day then I hated it because I sucked at it.

Top Bottom