• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

bloke

Sorry if this was already asked; is it possible to play Xenoblade via Dolphin using keyboard+mouse only...if so is it complete pain in the ass to play it that way, or somehow comfortable?

Thrakier

So, a couple of things I noticed last night:

1.) Thanks to Crunched. Turning off "Skip EFB Access to CPU" helped with the aiming and seemed to make the controls better in general. I transferred my save over to my Wii (which worked very well) and the controls felt the same to me.

2.) Realized I was running in DX9 mode, which was giving me the weird shadows. Running in DX11, that's not a problem though there is some odd, ghostly images of scenery that appear sometimes.

3.)Turning off "Skip EFB Access to CPU" meant that I had to lower resolution to 3x and only go for 2x AA in order to maintain 30 fps (system is i5 2500K @ stock, 8gb RAM, 560 ti x 2 SLI).

4.) This may or may not be of interest (I haven't read the entire thread since SS's release) but about halfway through my session I realized that my USB powered sensor bar wasn't plugged in. Plugging it in dropped me about 5 frames and the sword movement seemed jerkier.

2. Get rid of FSAA and the shadows will vanish. Go for 4xres instead

3. I see. Still weird that some of us are running the game with 4xres and 8xFSAA on way slower CPUs. Maybe it has something to do with the CPU architecture? I don't know.

4. That's weird.

elektrixx

Banned
Is there some thing I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to run Gecko codes for the PAL version of Skyward Sword but I'm getting an "Either a bad code or code is not supported" error when I start the game.

jediyoshi

Is there some thing I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to run Gecko codes for the PAL version of Skyward Sword but I'm getting an "Either a bad code or code is not supported" error when I start the game.
Lots of codes just aren't supported, especially the ones that allow you to toggle/do something when you press certain buttons.

Thrakier

Am I really the only one noticing some slight micro stuttering with Skyward Sword? It doesn#t happen all the time, seems to be pretty random, lasts about 1 or 2 seconds. It's not really bad, would just bei nice to get rid of it.

It's not a framedrop though, frames stay at 30. It's just a slight stuttering which occurs for a brief moment and then it goes aways again...

jediyoshi

New album up, Double Dash

http://dolphinsnacks.com/screenshots/mariokartdoubledash/

012.jpg

005.jpg

I've got SS up and running pretty well, but sometimes I notice a bit of ghosting.
4gkuC.jpg

Mainly near Link's arm. It looks worse during cutscenes. Any idea what could be causing it?

I'm running a PC with a i5 2500K which I think is at stock, though it might be overclocked. CPU-Z says 3.30GHz so. Graphics card is a 560ti, and the settings I'm using are from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32829468&postcount=5932

One exception might be about the graphics plugin, mine is DirectX 3D11, if that changes anything. (It doesn't have just DirectX 11 on the options)

Thanks!

I should replay both again, but when I bought Mario Kart Wii I thought Double-Dash!! looked better.

Hmm, yeah I thought the same thing. Maybe because I don't like TEH LIGHT BLOOMZ. And does MKWii have depth of field like DD? I can't remember.

Double Dash just looks cleaner, or something.

jediyoshi

Hmm, yeah I thought the same thing. Maybe because I don't like TEH LIGHT BLOOMZ. And does MKWii have depth of field like DD? I can't remember.

The next gen haze goes against everything fun about the art style. It's like it's anti color. I think the real tragedy is that they had 5 years, a more powerful platform and then ended up using the same models, which, without the more pronounced doubledash lighting, makes them look super flat.

7Ub4D.jpg

QoO38.jpg

rHPFP.jpg

YAtJH.jpg

V3zVc.jpg

MCD

Warm 2 is indeed better for anything PC on HDTV including the Dolphin emulator.

Zelda doesn't look as bright/blue as it was before.

Jintor

Christ, gettting my Wiimote controllers to work is a fucking bitch and a half, especially when the battery conks out halfway through playing.

Thrakier

Warm 2 is indeed better for anything PC on HDTV including the Dolphin emulator.

Zelda doesn't look as bright/blue as it was before.

Yeah, at least forZelda it's perfect. My monitor does 6500k while my TV is around 5500k, that's abit to reddish for normal PC usage. But in Zelda it just looks better.

@the ghosting in SS

I got that too. No idea how to fix that.

Jintor

You shouldn't have to manually add and readd the bloody Wiimote every time you start up Dolphin, right? I've gotta be doing something wrong...

jediyoshi

So the Skyward Sword Gecko codes don't work but I really want a way to speed up text and remove the black bars now.

Removing the black bars codes do work, there seems to be a few though so try each one individually before loading up the game. Seems the newest one gets rid of them altogether rather than leaving a few pixels still visible.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How does "non-3d" games work with dolphin? For example games like rayman origins. Also is dolphin the end all be all for wii emulation? Can you somehow emulate your vc-games via dolphin?

Gwanatu T

So I went on my Wii and copied all my Wiiware titles to the SD card, but I can only find lots of "content.bin" files under various folders on the SD card. How do I convert these to .wad files so I can use them with Dolphin?

jediyoshi

New album, Super Mario Galaxy

http://dolphinsnacks.com/screenshots/supermariogalaxy/

011.jpg

008.jpg

002.jpg

How does "non-3d" games work with dolphin? For example games like rayman origins. Also is dolphin the end all be all for wii emulation? Can you somehow emulate your vc-games via dolphin?
2D scales differently on a game by game basis. Some use higher res (than what the Wii can make use of anyway) assets that scale nicely like Muramasa and Trauma Team whereas others look only as good as they need to when rendered at a native Wii resolution. Dolphin can play VC games, but they'd still be better served on a platform specific emulator for specific features (different scaling features, etc), or even just a homebrew Wii emulator.

Xun

The next gen haze goes against everything fun about the art style. It's like it's anti color. I think the real tragedy is that they had 5 years, a more powerful platform and then ended up using the same models, which, without the more pronounced doubledash lighting, makes them look super flat.
Double Dash looks superior.

Mario Kart Wii was an incredibly soulless experience, and it summed up my feelings on the Wii.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
2D scales differently on a game by game basis. Some use higher res (than what the Wii can make use of anyway) assets that scale nicely like Muramasa and Trauma Team whereas others look only as good as they need to when rendered at a native Wii resolution. Dolphin can play VC games, but they'd still be better served on a platform specific emulator for specific features (different scaling features, etc), or even just a homebrew Wii emulator.

Thanks for the info, and lord almighty that looks ridiculous. You getting 60 fps? Which resolution are playing at?

Citizen K

So I finished skyward sword. The credits slowed to a crawl. I mean at the lower end of a 10-15fps range. Did this happen to anyone else?

Citizen K

New album, Super Mario Galaxy

http://dolphinsnacks.com/screenshots/supermariogalaxy/

011.jpg

008.jpg

002.jpg

Looks astonishing. Can you tell me what dolphin revision you use for mario galaxy? And settings? Think I'll play galaxy again :)

Mistle

So I finished skyward sword. The credits slowed to a crawl. I mean at the lower end of a 10-15fps range. Did this happen to anyone else?

I played on the Wii and this happened. Same thing happened to some other people too, I don't think it's a Dolphin issue.

The scrolling text never slowed down, but the background scenery panning was ridiculously slow.

Varna

So the Skyward Sword Gecko codes don't work but I really want a way to speed up text and remove the black bars now.

Pretty much every code works for me except for the most important one. Text speed. I get this every time I talk to someone. Anyone have any luck with this? I really want to try this game again.

Looking at the photo's in this thread makes me think nintendo really missed the boat not having 720P support..

Ohh well i can only hope with the much more powerful Wii U we can finally see what the talented nintendo graphic artists are capable of.

Thrakier

So, for everyone having problems with the accuracy of WM+ or with it acting strangely. I had a very weird thing happening. I'm using a wireless sensor bar. I thought it was working fine as always because the "on light" was working. I noticed that sitting in my normal viewing distance I couldn't get past the calibration screen for the pointer anymore. WM+ calibration screen was fine. I then noticed that I just have to come a bit closer to see the pointer cursor on screen. In the menu itself it was back to normal, working from normal viewing distance. In the game WM+ wasn't working very accurate. It worked but I had tons of problems which I didn't have before.

Long story short: I changed the batteries for the sensor bar and after that it was as smooth as it can be again without any need for recalibration. That's really weird isn't it? Because you would think that the sensor bar either works or it doesn't. the LED lamps are working or they don't and it's not battery dependent, just on or off if there isn't enough power. But it seems like it isn't that way. So for the people with problems, CHECK YOUR SENSOR BARS. They are actually very important.

jediyoshi

Some Skyward Sword footage with black bars removed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rebqb6Gaoc8&hd=1

How do I get my save game from Skward Sword into dolphin? It's the only thing stopping me from playing it now.

Use the Data Mangement on the Wii to copy it to an SD card. Get the data.bin file from it onto your computer. In Dolphin, Tools -> Wii Save Import, select the file

Thanks for the info, and lord almighty that looks ridiculous. You getting 60 fps? Which resolution are playing at?

It can hit 60fps if AA is off, otherwise it's still playable. All my screenshots tend to be 4x native resolution

7Ub4D.jpg

QoO38.jpg

rHPFP.jpg

YAtJH.jpg

V3zVc.jpg

Oh wow, geez...Haha. Thanks for the comparisons. That haze is awful! And the exact same models... What a shame. I suppose the ruination of the art style goes along with what they did to the gameplay, for me.

*fingers crossed for a much improved MK Wii U*

Jintor

Can anyone help me out with this? Enjoying Skyward Sword a tonne, only thing is that the Motion Plus seems to lose detection for a second every 10 minutes or so, bringing up the nag prompt to reconnect the M+ and nunchuc which lasts for about 5 seconds and then goes away again. Oh, and calibrating it with 'point the controller at the centre of the screen' seems to be nearly impossible and has no relation to the actual detection of the controller while playing the actual game.

reektann

I did a few tests last night switching between Dolphin and Wii with Skyward Sword. I've noticed that the '1:1' can have a little bit of glitching sometimes on Dolphin. It's generally as you move the wiimote further back slowly for a big swing sort of thing - on the Wii I don't see any slight judders at all and there is definitely a few ms less lag. I mean, it's incredible just the face the Wii Motion Plus even works on a PC ( I've tried a couple of different bluetooth adapters obviously ) but when it comes down to it - the trade off in visuals makes it 100% worth playing on the Dolphin rather than Wii - for me, anyway.

I've had a couple of crashes with Skyward Sword actually on Dolphin mentioning some issue with a 'rasterizer' .. curious. Not a great deal on google about it , just a bug report at some point.

Thrakier

I did a few tests last night switching between Dolphin and Wii with Skyward Sword. I've noticed that the '1:1' can have a little bit of glitching sometimes on Dolphin. It's generally as you move the wiimote further back slowly for a big swing sort of thing - on the Wii I don't see any slight judders at all and there is definitely a few ms less lag. I mean, it's incredible just the face the Wii Motion Plus even works on a PC ( I've tried a couple of different bluetooth adapters obviously ) but when it comes down to it - the trade off in visuals makes it 100% worth playing on the Dolphin rather than Wii - for me, anyway.

I've had a couple of crashes with Skyward Sword actually on Dolphin mentioning some issue with a 'rasterizer' .. curious. Not a great deal on google about it , just a bug report at some point.

Same distance or monitor/tv?

reektann

Yeah its quite a small room. I actually have the Bluetooth dongle right next to the chair where I'm sat ( about 1ft away )

It's things like sometimes if you try to perform a quick swing as the enemy shows a weakness, you might have your hand out right but need to go from left to right.. it'll end up registering the movement to get your hand left as a swing in itself. On the wii it seems less 'sensitive' maybe ? Maybe I need to be more deliberate with my moves to compensate on the PC.

Thrakier

Yeah its quite a small room. I actually have the Bluetooth dongle right next to the chair where I'm sat ( about 1ft away )

It's things like sometimes if you try to perform a quick swing as the enemy shows a weakness, you might have your hand out right but need to go from left to right.. it'll end up registering the movement to get your hand left as a swing in itself. On the wii it seems less 'sensitive' maybe ? Maybe I need to be more deliberate with my moves to compensate on the PC.

No, I meant if you are using the same display for both devices. :)

Turrican3

Guys, could you tell me if it is possible to get fullspeed emulation sacrificing resolution (I mean, I'm not aiming at fullHD or something even remotely like that) with the following specs?

Win7 Enterprise 64-bit
i7 2630QM 2.0 GHz 6GB RAM
Nvidia GE Force Optimus GT540M 2GB

Thanks

reektann

No, I meant if you are using the same display for both devices. :)

Ah ok - yeah sorry :) Yeah both outputting to the same TV. Basically if you stand still and slowly move the wiimote to your right and behind you, on Dolphin it doesnt seem to move as far and in some cases has a small little glitch in the animation. On the Wii it's quite flawless and moves almost perfectly 1:1.

Turrican3

I'd say no. The CPU is way too weak. Maybe on some games which aren't demanding at all, but no chance at the bigger titles.
Too bad... :(

Well, I guess it won't hurt to give it a try anyway, at least I already know I'd better keep my expectations low.

Thanks again.

Thrakier

Ah ok - yeah sorry :) Yeah both outputting to the same TV. Basically if you stand still and slowly move the wiimote to your right and behind you, on Dolphin it doesnt seem to move as far and in some cases has a small little glitch in the animation. On the Wii it's quite flawless and moves almost perfectly 1:1.

Ah, hm. Ok. Didn't notice that. Any differencein actual gameplay performance then?

EDIT:

Tested what you described, couldn't notice a difference between sword movement right before link and on the very outside. Seemd both the same, both are a bit sluggish though. As are the cursors. However, it's also a bit sluggish on wii. I get it has to because it can't be actual 1:1 movement, it just mimics it, obviously. So it's always just a interpretation of what you are doing. If there really is more latency on dolphin than on wii I guess it should also be there for buttn presses. I didn't notice anything though. You?

Top Bottom