• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Jon of the Wired said:
Eh, it's not really the same thing. Goombas and mushrooms may have similar appearances, but they're actually different sprites. The bushes are literally the same sprite as the clouds, just with a palette swap.

Yeah I just realised that, but as mr.nothin said it's just missing one row of pixels so it's pretty obvious they used the same model.

Great Rumbler said:
The swastika has been around for thousands of years and has a wide variety of meanings depending on which religion or ancient culture you're talking about.

And apart from (or before) the Nazis, those meanings are pretty much all positive.

jman2050

Oblivion said:
If you're impressed with that, Olimar is supposed to be Mario spelled backwards.

To be fair, anyone without a basic knowledge of Japanese wouldn't catch that at all, so it's not quite the 'obvious' revelation the cloudbush thing is.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Could be a complete coincidence (probably is), but it's interesting to me that the overworld for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past kinda resembles the Imperial Palace of Kyoto when viewed from above.

light_world-1.jpg

ImperialPalaceKyoto.jpg

Log4Girlz

Clouds re-colored to make bushes? Its this frugality that makes Nintendo what it is today. They took gamecubes and re-tooled them and created the Wii. Amazing.

Jon of the Wired said:
Eh, it's not really the same thing. Goombas and mushrooms may have similar appearances, but they're actually different sprites. The bushes are literally the same sprite as the clouds, just with a palette swap.

Speaking of Goomba, they are actually supposed to be living chestnuts, as their Japanese name is Kuribo, with the Kuri being chestnut.

Other facts of interest:

Kirby's sprite was originally meant to be a placeholder.

All the maps of the Pokemon handheld games(no spin offs) are based on parts of Japan (with Diamond and Pearl's Sinnoh region similarity to Hokkaido being the most obvious)

Pac-Man was originally going to be called Puck-Man, but there was worry that the arcade cabinets could be vandalized to have the title end up as something very vulgar.

"And apart from (or before) the Nazis, those meanings are pretty much all positive."

As far as I know all the positive meanings are pointing in a different direction than the swastika.

jman2050

Log4Girlz said:
Clouds re-colored to make bushes? Its this frugality that makes Nintendo what it is today. They took gamecubes and re-tooled them and created the Wii. Amazing.

(neutral) Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(Today, 11:47 PM)
Reply | Quote

Oblivion said:
Seriously, though guys. Is the cloud/bush thing that big a deal? I mean it's not that surprising assets would be reused during those times.

If you're impressed with that, Olimar is supposed to be Mario spelled backwards.

So they call him "Ramilo" in Japan?

JzeroT1437 said:
So they call him "Ramilo" in Japan?
No, it's the katakana spelled backwards. Ma-ri-o becomes O-ri-ma. Rs and Ls are interchangeable in Japanese, as they pronounce them as a kind of combination between the two letters.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"And apart from (or before) the Nazis, those meanings are pretty much all positive."

As far as I know all the positive meanings are pointing in a different direction than the swastika.

That is true, when the Nazis took the symbol they rotated it differently.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This thread went from a slow fizzle to awesome, and now with the London 2012 logo it's turned back into a turd.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Something i read on a interview with one of the Deus Ex designers.

When you are in liberty city, you can see new york in the background, but you cant see the world trade center towers . People complained to the devs about it, and their response was :

When people complained, we just explained that it had been destroyed by terrorist attacks. We start the game with the Liberty Island statue having been destroyed by terrorists a few years before. We just said that the towers had been destroyed too. And this was way before 9-11. Years. That's kind of freaky.

Deus Ex was released about 1 year before the real attacks.

MIND BLOWN.

jman2050

ratcliffja said:
No, it's the katakana spelled backwards. Ma-ri-o becomes O-ri-ma. Rs and Ls are interchangeable in Japanese, as they pronounce them as a kind of combination between the two letters.

Furthermore, the katakana also has an extra dash at the end to draw out the last 'a'. This is generally the equivalent of a vowel+r combination in English. Thus the final name 'Olimar'

ninj4junpei said:
No way, I refuse to belive that is real. *spent hours as a kid looking online for how to catcha a mew*

R/B/Y is glitched to hell, seriously. You think Missingno is bad? That's only scratching the surface.

Take a look: http://tasvideos.org/1671S.html

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Tisan said:
What. That's insane.

The brands were licensed for "realism", but I think that at the time certain companies wanted less to do with videogames than they do now. Still it's weird they couldn't figure out a way of not paying for the license, I guess it's a terms thing, if you work within the term license it's not advertising and therefore you have to pay for it. I don't think they were that stupid though.

They were under Peter Moore btw.

Firestorm

Ezduo said:
WHAT THE FUCK?

I'd give anything to have my old copy of Red...

I didn't even believe it when I first learned it. I'm one of those people who did everything for Mew... Bill's Garden, Truck beside SS Anne... all for naught. Of course this happened after I lost interest.

Anyway:
MIND FUCKING BLOWN @ Mario Bros cloud/bush and to a lesser extent, clefairy thingy and Wild logo

Concept17

Kandrick said:
Something i read on a interview with one of the Deus Ex designers.

When you are in liberty city, you can see new york in the background, but you cant see the world trade center towers . People complained to the devs about it, and their response was :

Deus Ex was released about 1 year before the real attacks.

MIND BLOWN.

A friend and myself did barrel rolls with 747s in MS Flight Simulator (1995?) between the twin towers, often times running into them. =\ When we both heard about 9/11 we both just looked at each other like... "ohhh shit".

KevinCow said:
Series started on the SNES.

Eh, I know, but they didn't really get their "character" until SF64. Not to mention tons of other characters were introduced.

Link said:
You're forgetting the very first version, which became Devil May Cry. Also, the "gun juggling" in DMC was born from a glitch found in Onimusha during development.

Oh yeah, that too. RE4 went through a crazy dev process, and the very original somehow morphed into DMC. Now DMC is a completely separate franchise from RE, and a well-established franchise too.

Seriously awesome stuff in this thread guys, thanks for blowing my mind. :D

Ahhh and anyone else got shit scared when they noticed the 2 faces in Secret of Mana? I noticed one of them when I played for the first time 10 years ago and it freaked me out.

secret01.jpg

Why would they do that? Whyyyyy.

When I was young, I had this magazine that had the first screens of Chrono Trigger and one of them was a crystal like level/area that didn't make it into the final game. I remembered it well because it looked way cool back then. I had thrown the magazine away many years ago and surprisingly I can't find anything even remotely related to that on the Internet.

Google is failing me and it's sooooo frustrating. Ugh :mad:

Chris Michael said:
Hey, I've got another one.

Rockstar and Capcom seem to have a pretty close relationship.

Red Dead Revolver was originally a game completely created by Capcom - a Japanese company. It was cancelled by Capcom, but Rockstar - an American company - got the rights to make the game. As far as I know they changed the original concept of what the original Capcom game was supposed to be. Nevertheless, they essentially developed the game that Capcom had cancelled.

Not to mention Capcom publishes Rockstar's GTA games in Japan.

For some reason, international relations interest me the most. :lol

I will add that Akiman was the original character designer for Red Dead Revolver. I'm not sure if he still was working on the game when Rockstar took it over.

dionysus said:
Thank you, finally someone else on this forum that recognizes FFXII to be an abomination.

Not only does the story fall apart at 35%, but it was fundamentally flawed. The main character basically has nothing at all to do with anything happening in the world. There is nothing special about him and most of the characters don't even act like he is there in their interactions. The game would have been much better from Basch's POV.

He even says, "I'm just along for the ride."
Metalmurphy said:
:lol

Common man, just look at the size of that mouth, it's like Manuela Moura Guedes :lol

She doesn't have a hot body, the mouth ruins her "almost" pretty face.

5/10 :p

what kind of blows my mind is the fact that people who have actual importance in the industry visit and converse at the same site as the people quoted above.

Granted, I have a very tiny mind, so it's pretty easy to blow.

Anyway:

http://www.dosclassics.com/duke/1other.php
http://www.dosclassics.com/duke/2other.php

Eerie similarities between art in Turrican and Duke Nukem

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/a/bomber.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/nes/01/load.html

Meta-game continuity!

Odrion

Banned
A miniature version of Zelda I's map is in Zelda II.

The untouchable hidden levels they showed off in Banjo Kazooie as a way to hype people for the sequel are actually easily obtainable by punching in a secret password.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Concept17 said:
A friend and myself did barrel rolls with 747s in MS Flight Simulator (1995?) between the twin towers, often times running into them. =\ When we both heard about 9/11 we both just looked at each other like... "ohhh shit".

I used to do the same thing... minus the barrel rolls and trying to go between the towers. I used to piss off my technology teacher by purposely flying right into them. This was in 1996.

Ezduo

Banned
Firestorm said:
I didn't even believe it when I first learned it. I'm one of those people who did everything for Mew... Bill's Garden, Truck beside SS Anne... all for naught. Of course this happened after I lost interest.

Anyway:
MIND FUCKING BLOWN @ Mario Bros cloud/bush and to a lesser extent, clefairy thingy and Wild logo

Oh same here but I'd do this in a heartbeat if I had my old copy of Pokemon Red. Just to have Mew...an unfulfilled dream from my childhood. I'd be almost willing to buy a copy somewhere just to do this.

I remember being shocked by the SMB cloud/bush thing years ago when I figured it out. Why exactly isn't it obvious the first time you look at them?

XHitoshuraX said:
That there are people who actually believe Killer 7 had a bad story.

Or that it was a bad game, period.

Odrion said:
A miniature version of Zelda I's map is in Zelda II.

Has anyone noticed that OoT's overworld map looks kinda like Link?

The untouchable hidden levels they showed off in Banjo Kazooie as a way to hype people for the sequel are actually easily obtainable by punching in a secret password.

Whoa.

Those crazy Pokemon websites sucked the fun out of Pokemon.

Jesus Christ, they disassembled the gamecode and figured out how to manipulate it based on button presses. They can fuck with the game based on PRESSING THE BUTTONS.

Holy shit.

Mind Blown

Eteric Rice

FlightOfHeaven said:
Those crazy Pokemon websites sucked the fun out of Pokemon.

Jesus Christ, they disassembled the gamecode and figured out how to manipulate it based on button presses. They can fuck with the game based on PRESSING THE BUTTONS.

Holy shit.

Mind Blown

Do you not remember when Pokemon was highly popular in the USA?

Pokemon fans can be fucking rabid, seriously. Go look at the hardcore Pokemon game players.

woxel1

SDZeta said:
Ahhh and anyone else got shit scared when they noticed the 2 faces in Secret of Mana? I noticed one of them when I played for the first time 10 years ago and it freaked me out.

secret01.jpg

Why would they do that? Whyyyyy.
motivatorface.jpg

Top Bottom