• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepads are region locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Then give me one GOOD reason why someone needs a controller outside of their region?

Whatever the reason is, you'll probably just not deem it as a "good" one.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Regardless of the size of the issue, whether the game pads are on sale or not, "region locked controllers" is one of those ridiculous sounding things I never though I'd hear.

This news, alongside how the "stolen pad" thread developed, and the fact that the system supports a second pad theoritically but no firm plans of their rollout were shared, have almost convinced me that Nintendo doesn't consider it as a peripheral at all but an integral, inseperable part (Which is *just* as silly, tbh).

miksar

Then give me one GOOD reason why someone needs a controller outside of their region?
Well, I actually bought a GameCube controller from Play Asia once as there were no new US/European controllers available.

But I ask those of you who say it is an issue. Please tell me what I need to do in order for it to become an issue for me right now. So far the only thing that came to my mind was breaking the original GamePad, travelling to USA or Japan and stealing one there. And I suspect there is something wrong with it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Imagine getting a 2nd hand controller off ebay, you have no idea which region it came from!
I would expect the seller to list the region since it's important in this case, like it is for games, or I wouldn't buy it.

Impressive, I know.

Ok what if Japan gets a super cool controller that doesn't come out anywhere else.
Wouldn't you be pissed off then?

There are many situations where this could be a problem or an annoyance.
Why are people being so obtuse?
If I go to the length of importing a super cool controller it's likely for collection purposes... I can collect it even if I can't use it. I can also collect a super cool Japanese Wii U and super cool Japanese Wii U games, if they ever arrive, much like the controller. But yeah, hypothetical problems like this have hypothetical solutions like that, when someone presents a practical issue a consumer actually encountered we'll see how/if it can be resolved.

I mean, yeah, I can somehow understand the "lol what" comments but the trolling and this being a reason for not purchasing it and piling on with completely unrelated shit like what people think of what's under the hood, games, the company, etc, nope.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Glad this wayward company is being pissed on by at least the PAL market. They've taken region locking to such new anti-consumer heights it just seems like the next underpowered hardware they'll punt out on the cheap will clamp electrodes to testicles on activation and let rip.

Why would they even code this in, its madness.

Regardless of the size of the issue, whether the game pads are on sale or not, "region locked controllers" is one of those ridiculous sounding things I never though I'd hear.

This news, alongside how the "stolen pad" thread developed, and the fact that the system supports a second pad theoritically but haven't released firm plans of their rollout, have almost convinced me that Nintendo doesn't consider it as a peripheral at all but an integral, inseperable part (Which is *just* as silly).
Well, it does match up to what their marketing has been telling consumers so at least there's a bit of consistency there.

Banjo

Here you are!

Message on the TV:

The update cannot be completed with an overseas Wii U GamePad.
Please look at your GamePad's screen.

If you have the GamePad that came with this system, press the sync button on the system twice after rebooting to register the GamePad.

If no Wii U GamePad is connected, please turn off and on your system using its power button.

Message on the GamePad screen:

The update cannot be completed with an overseas Wii U GamePad.

If you have the GamePad that came with this system, press the sync button on the system twice after rebooting to register the GamePad.

[RESTART]

So its just for the update that you need the Gamepad of the same region?
Maybe they can try with a game (i dont know if they already made that).
But one way or another, i dont see a real reason why nintendo did something like this, aside from the price differeces between regions

jimi_dini

I already gave one 2 pages ago.

I had to import a white PS3 controller, because stupid Sony didn't sell those in Europe. There you have your reason. Nintendo ever creating a Pokemon controller and only releasing it in Japan? There you have your import reason.

Hell, crazy people paid premium to import a SNES Wii controller from Japan before.

Yeah but when they start to sell them separately, its going to be a massive mess.

Imagine getting a 2nd hand controller off ebay, you have no idea which region it came from!

I can't believe people are defending more Nintendo stupidity.
Then inform yourself by reading the description of the seller or ASK him.

I don't see the point complainig about a potenial problem in the future, which probably isn't a problem at all.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Why are people seeing this as an issue at all? This isn't Nintendo being evil or greedy. In the US at least, the consoles and the Gamepads fall under a metric TON of FCC regulations. One example is the fact that Nintendo is not licensed to use the radio frequencies the system uses to communicate with the Gamepad outdoors, which is one of the reasons for the limitation of how far the signal reaches. There are other laws regarding the amount of shielding that is needed in the controllers, laws about which frequencies can be used, and even laws about how much interference the controllers should accept from other sources.

That's just the US. I'd be pretty dang sure Japan has its own, different rules and regulations, same with Europe. This is most likely the biggest reason for the region locking.

This is also a very good point, and adds to the fact that we have no working knowledge of the legalities under which the GamePad operates. Again, I state that it is irresponsible of us to assume Nintendo's position.

It is best for us to seek out a proper explanation and take no stance on this unless it directly affects you. Those who assume the worst are simply doing so to generate negativity and have no 'logical' reason to be angry.

Glad this wayward company is being pissed on by at least the PAL market. They've taken region locking to such new anti-consumer heights it just seems like the next underpowered hardware they'll punt out on the cheap will clamp electrodes to testicles on activation and let rip.

Why would they even code this in, its madness.

In what way is following the laws of each region anti-consumer?

tkscz

Whatever the reason is, you'll probably just not deem it as a "good" one.

Ok then, let me rephrase it for you. Give me a reasonable one. Something where I would absolutely need to buy a controller from outside my region, where buying it within my region wouldn't work.

The only time you'd need to do that is if you bought a WiiU from outside your region, and the gamepad for that one broke, but I'm pretty sure a VERY small majority will do that.

I already gave one 2 pages ago.

I had to import a white PS3 controller, because stupid Sony didn't sell those in Europe.

Would the black one not work?

iGMWxFirpZy2o.gif

dan2026

Then inform yourself by reading the description of the seller or ASK him.

I don't see the point complainig about a potenial problem in the future, which probably isn't a problem at all.

Ok what if Japan gets a super cool controller that doesn't come out anywhere else.

mAcOdIn

But I ask those of you who say it is an issue. Please tell me what I need to do in order for it to become an issue for me right now. So far the only thing that came to my mind was breaking the original GamePad, travelling to USA or Japan and stealing one there. And I suspect there is something wrong with it.
It's not that you need to do anything for it to become an issue or not, most will never have an issue. However, imagine that someone liked the Wii U enough to own two, one for their home region and say one for Japan, since it's fucking region locked, and they break one of their gamepads. With anything else they could just use the other contro...err.gamepad but now they can't. It does suck.

That said, I'm not really bitching about this as I don't know why it was like this nor do I think a large amount of people will ever be inconvenienced by it but it's still silly.
I would expect the seller to list the region since it's important in this case, like it is for games, or I wouldn't buy it.

Impressive, I know.
I dunno, would every seller even know or think a controller's region locked?

farnham

Banned
So does this mean the GamePad firmware can be updated? It could just be a safeguard. I remember when a few people bricked their Wiis importing Super Paper Mario (using a modchip to get round the region lock) as the game wanted a firmware update (Wii menu version on disc was a higher number so ask for update) and went and installed the US menu on EU Wiis leading to an Opera error message (why it happened).

That said the other reasons are interesting. Does this mean other consumer electronics with transmission capabilities are similarly region locked? Would it mean having to pay more (this tends to Nintendo's reason)?

Not really. Japanese firmware used a different filesystem that supported unicode filenames. A memory card imported would need formatting then work perfectly as any other. Is it region locking if it only works in one region at any time?

Heck, if you played Japanese games using a freeloader you could use the same memory card as everything else...unless the game had a unicode filename (e.g. Donkey Konga, Mr. Driller) in which case you could not save at all (and trying to do so would format it).

That said this makes me awfully curious about the Korean Gamecube. Was Japan region but had games in English...I guess unicode filename Japanese games would save fine.

Korean Gamecube was just the japanese model imported by a company called daewon i think.

Yeah but when they start to sell them separately, its going to be a massive mess.

I can't believe people are defending more Nintendo stupidity.

"Dear ebay seller,

I see you have a Wii U Gamepad up for sale. I am interested in purchasing it, however, I am living in North America (the US) and I would like to know which region the game pad is? You may, or may not, be aware that the firmware in the gamepad restricts controllers to systems of the region they were produced for/purchased in, so if the controller is from a different region, it will be useless to me.

Sincerely,

An informed consumer"

Aeana

If you're considering making a post referencing GAF as a single entity, or making broad strokes about other users, I would advise against it. Please respond directly to the people with whom you disagree, and try to have a little bit more respect for your fellow posters. Don't immediately assume that they're blindly anti-Nintendo (or pro-Nintendo) and toss away their opinion just because they have a specific stance on an issue. There is a debate to be had on this subject, but it won't go anywhere with people assuming everyone else has some sort of agenda.

What if we get the controller too, wouldn't you be happy?

cakefoo

I don't own a Wii U now or for the foreseeable future. However, if I were to buy one I'd probably get it while in Japan.

If games started to come out that utilized multiple controllers, or my controller just stopped working for whatever reason, I'd have to wait until I went to Japan again or import a controller. It just seems so unnecessary.

I'm honestly not outraged. I have no intentions of getting a Wii U any time soon, but I could see why people who have imported the system already would be greatly annoyed. It's just a stupid decision that doesn't seem to benefit anyone. It certainly doesn't benefit consumers.

There are a heap of stupid anti-consumer decisions with the Wii U, though. This is just another one on the massive pile.
If you can afford to travel country to country, why can't you afford to import a Wii U gamepad if/when they become available for purchase?

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
"Dear ebay seller,

I see you have a Wii U Gamepad up for sale. I am interested in purchasing it, however, I am living in North America (the US) and I would like to know which region the game pad is? You may, or may not, be aware that the firmware in the gamepad restricts controllers to systems of the region they were produced for/purchased in, so if the controller is from a different region, it will be useless to me.

Sincerely,

An informed consumer"

This is another great comment. It implies, again, that we as humans have reasonable ability to inquire about our surroundings. Obviously this hasn't been a problem as no one has actually contacted Nintendo. If it were to become a problem, I am willing to bet that Nintendo's customer services would provide a solution.

Until that point comes in which they have no solution, there is no reason to be outraged by this. But again... lol GAF.

miksar

It's not that you need to do anything for it to become an issue or not, most will never have an issue. However, imagine that someone liked the Wii U enough to own two, one for their home region and say one for Japan, since it's fucking region locked, and they break one of their gamepads. With anything else they could just use the other contro...err.gamepad but now they can't. It does suck.
This is fair reasoning, thank you.

Given some of the reactions in this thread I take it's impossible to love Nintendo games and yet still sit back and go "Wow... just wow." when they make a completely batshit insane move?

tkscz

Given some of the reactions in this thread I take it's impossible to love Nintendo games and yet still sit back and go "Wow... just wow." when they make a completely batshit insane move?

That's what no one here is helping me understand. How is it that bad of a thing when you don't NEED to have a controller outside your region? How many people will have an actually issue with this in the future?

That's what no one here is helping me understand. How is it that bad of a thing when you don't NEED to have a controller outside your region? How many people will have an actually issue with this in the future?

Very few.

That still doesn't stop it from being batshit.

cakefoo

This is the whole problem with competing with other egotistical assholes on the internet.

chiablo

I work for a wireless component manufacturer. Japan has much stricter rules regarding wireless communication standards. Assuming they are using 2.4GHz for the rf on these, the Japanese version will have significantly shorter range due to a power limitation. The US and European ones will also have the appropriate certification labeling (FCC and EU).

If you want to find out more, you could look up the FCC ID on the game pad on the FCC's website and read the test report. It might mention why it's region locked.

This is the whole problem with competing with other egotistical assholes on the internet.

There's not much to understand honestly.

It will affect very few people. The fact that it affects anyone is the problem. First region locked controller in gaming history. Won't hurt many, but why set the precedent?

We can't call it "batshit" as long as we don't know the reason. If it is following the specific protocols of each region, for example, it is completely understandable.
Unless there are significant hardware differences between each regions controller this should be a problem fixed with syncing and firmware updates.

It should not be a problem in a consumer model product.

miksar

I work for a wireless component manufacturer. Japan has much stricter rules regarding wireless communication standards. Assuming they are using 2.4GHz for the rf on these, the Japanese version will have significantly shorter range due to a power limitation. The US and European ones will also have the appropriate certification labeling (FCC and EU).

If you want to find out more, you could look up the FCC ID on the game pad on the FCC's website and read the test report. It might mention why it's region locked.
I'm sorry, but you're too reasonable for this thread. You should have posted a laughing gif, write "lol nintendo" and mention underpowered hardware, mountains of Wii Us on shelves or a stupid gimmick controller.

http://rocketnews24.com/2012/12/25/279608/

Having read this article, it does say the US pad will sync up with a Japanese Wii U, but that it requires the firmware in the US pad to be the latest Japanese firmware for it to sync, however, it won't [yet/ever] download onto the US pad.

The article also ends stating that it may be possible for it to work, depending on the method.

It will affect very few people. The fact that it affects anyone is the problem. First region locked controller in gaming history. Won't hurt many, but why set the precedent?
I guess this is looked down on because Im defending it or whatever but the controller is more than just a controller. im not a tech guy or nothing but wont it be some issues if the controller can run something like Nintendo Tvii NA application and the something wont work if its running Nintendo Tvii Japan version? That looks like it could matter to me.

cakefoo

I'm in inquiry mode, where I would like to know why they did it too. But until I know, I'm not going to be arm-chair ceo and say it was a stupid decision. Not saying you're a dogpiler, but I suspect that some people are drive-by dog-piling because they don't like Nintendo right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom