• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not buying a Switch for my kid till QA impoves

Coxy100

Banned
I'm intending to buŷ one for Christmas. Really hoping that these issues are rare and it's just the way that forums always show a disproportionate amount

I went through 12 Xbox 360s, most during the first 18 months or so. Microsoft extended warranty ($60 at the time) replaced them.

My first PS3 was bad out of the box and so was my first Xbox One. Both wouldn't play discs.

Now, I usually try to wait a bit.

Manzanas

Neo Member
I went through 12 Xbox 360s, most during the first 18 months or so. Microsoft extended warranty ($60 at the time) replaced them.

My first PS3 was bad out of the box and so was my first Xbox One. Both wouldn't play discs.

Now, I usually try to wait a bit.

You must be extremely unlucky.

big_z

Is the wifi worse than what the og PS4 had?

I kind of want to wait for a revision but I'm not sure there will be one considering nvidia gave nintendo a straight off the shelf chip. I'm sure there will still be silent hardware tweaks just like Sony does with the PS4 but it will be a nightmare tracking serials when different parts of the console can be from various factories.

spekkeh

Banned
I think the thing just feels too premium to give to kids. From what I see from vids it's actually much more durable than you think. But it would feel like a damn shame if it got scratched. Conversely ugly ass 2DS I'd give to my kids no problem. Wreck this son, I don't care.

My dock is warped and it's really annoying. Has been warped since day 1. Should probably have Nintendo replace it

Just got my switch today. My only gripe is that the wifi is horrendous.

Mine is as well

Is the wifi worse than what the og PS4 had?

I kind of want to wait for a revision but I'm not sure there will be one considering nvidia gave nintendo a straight off the shelf chip. I'm sure there will still be silent hardware tweaks just like Sony does with the PS4 but it will be a nightmare tracking serials when different parts of the console can be from various factories.

Seems like it to me but then again The PS4 isn't portable so it's difficult to compare

brian577

Banned
Kid's rough with your system and you blame quality control? OK...

There's no such as thing as a childproof console and there never will be.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think the thing just feels too premium to give to kids. From what I see from vids it's actually much more durable than you think. But it would feel like a damn shame if it got scratched. Conversely ugly ass 2DS I'd give to my kids no problem. Wreck this son, I don't care.

Yeah...i dont think the current Switch is designed to be used by children on their own - its a 300 dollar device at the end and just came out.

Young Adults and Families are the market right now as long as they are still selling 3DS systems.

oneils

Played mine damn near every day since launch. No scratches, no issues. But I take care of my stuff.

LOL! Go figure, an children's toy is fine in the hands of a responsible adult. Did you read the op? I'm sorry but this reply made me laugh :p

Shiggy

Yeah...i dont think the current Switch is designed to be used by children on their own - its a 300 dollar device at the end and just came out.

Young Adults and Families are the market right now as long as they are still selling 3DS systems.

Kids use iPads on their own, which can cost even more and feel more premium than the Switch. We are not at a time where kids can only use Fisherprice toys.

I've only experienced issues with the Joy-Cons and the wristband attachment as well as connectivity issues. Had to put on a screen protector though as Nintendo didn't go for industry-standard gorilla glass.

cw_sasuke

LOL! Go figure, an children's toy is fine in the hands of a responsible adult. Did you read the op? I'm sorry but this reply made me laugh :p

Not that you are wrong...but i dont see it as a childrens Toy at that price point though. I would assume a Switch Mini or whatever will replace the 3DS will take that spot and be designed more kid-friendly.

Kids use iPads on their own, which can cost even more and feel more premium than the Switch. We are not at a time where kids can only use Fisherprice toys.

Switch isnt an iPad. Docking and undocking the console, taking off the Joycons and handling of the Analog Sticks can result in problems over time for children on their own. The iPad is just a bigger Smartphone - obv. a child can handle it, since there isnt much you could damage, especially if you sue anytype of cover.

Using the Parents iPad or whatever at home or when the parents are around is different than giving a 6/7 year old his own iPad to play around with outside the house like Kids would with a handheld like the 2DS.

Shiggy

Switch isnt an iPad. Docking and undocking the console, taking off the Joycons and handling of the Analog Sticks can result in problems over time for children on their own. The iPad is just a bigger Smartphone - obv. a child can handle it, since there isnt much you could damage, especially if you sue anytype of cover.

Using the Parents iPad or whatever at home or when the parents are around is different than giving a 6/7 year old his own iPad to play around with outside the house like Kids would with a handheld like the 2DS.

True, but that's mostly a design issue with how (cheaply) Nintendo built the sliding mechanics. Even I'm always a bit anxious when removing the joy-con straps. Or how they have not taken care of users being able to put the joy-cons the wrong way onto the Switch.

Not sure how the analog sticks would create problems though. Kids were able to use them on previous Nintendo systems.

Lot of kids have their own iPads.

Dremorak

Banned
Holy shit, sounds like you got the worst luck. I dont think its a widespread problem tho, and I still havent seen anyone without a screen protector getting scratched

tzare

I am also waiting a bit to see if Nintendo fixes the issues switch has been having.

The fact that is a portable and has detachable parts makes it more sensible to small manufacturing or design issues that are more important because of the form factor, but those should be ironed out with time.

I think it should come with a screen protector by default until they dock thing gets fixed btw

cw_sasuke

True, but that's mostly a design issue with how (cheaply) Nintendo built the sliding mechanics. Even I'm always a bit anxious when removing the joy-con straps. Or how they have not taken care of users being able to put the joy-cons the wrong way onto the Switch.

Not sure how the analog sticks would create problems though. Kids were able to use them on previous Nintendo systems.

Lot of kids have their own iPads.

I wrote can result in issues not will. For everything the OP brought up there are probably hundreds of other examples of children handling the Switch as a device just fine. The likelyhood of damaging a Switch over time for children is just higher compared to a Phone/Tablet or a 2/3DS,

I agree things like putting and taking off the joycon straps for example need to be streamlined in future revisions - very clunky for a Nintendo console.

brian577

Banned

Which makes his complaints all the more silly. We're long past the days of sturdy Gameboys or neigh indestructible Gamecubes. Today consoles are too fragile to stand up to the abuse the average child will place on it. If your child can't handle expensive electronics without wrecking them, either wait till they're older or be prepared to replace them regularly.

^ Perfect examples of people not reading OP and posting.

No it's not completely overblown. I've seen these issues pop up a lot and I'm not comfortable about it. Just because you have a good one doesn't mean we brush it off.
Haha! I read the OP just fine, thanks for your concern. And for pretending I'm just speaking from my personal experience.

oneils

Which makes his complaints all the more silly. We're long past the days of sturdy Gameboys or neigh indestructible Gamecubes. Today consoles are too fragile to stand up to the abuse the average child will place on it. If your child can't handle expensive electronics without wrecking them, either wait till they're older or be prepared to replace them regularly.

You know that and I know that, but I don't think the "complaint" is silly. Aunt Sherry and Grandpa Joe aren't going to know this when they buy switches for the kids this Christmas.

WhsDhSe.jpg

Is there a dock that ever passed the infamous coin test? As far as I know, they're supposed to be bent slightly inwards. Perhaps some are more bent than others?

Dremorak

Banned
Is there a dock that ever passed the infamous coin test? As far as I know, they're supposed to be bent slightly inwards. Perhaps some are more bent than others?

Mine failed the test and yet hasnt scratched my switch at all in the 100s of times ive put it in and out. Funny that.

Forkball

I haven't had any problems with it outside of the terrible wifi. I don't blame anyone for waiting for revisions though, we all know they're coming eventually.

Got a launch unit. My only issues are with left joycon and the wifi. Wifi is total ass. Not a deal breaker but wifi is bad enough i would consider a revision if it can improve it.

Deft Beck

Any less premium than an iPad?

I don't know what everyone is doing to their Switches because I've had absolutely no major problems with mine.

fireflame

I would actually recomend waiting. You may get a new model with a lower price and opportunity to get more games for your kid;)

I personally avoid buying anything at launch.When you buy at launch you are like a soldier on the first line who takes all the bullets, that is how i feel it at least.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Pack it up here folks, ZAMtendo and his fiends experienced nothing of the sort. You should be ashamed of yourself OP.

I haven't used my switch much (clearing out other backlog) but I got a glass screen protector when I heard about dock issue. Knock on wood, I hope nothing else happens.

I'm just saying this is a one off issue and shouldn't represent a general issue around the board. How many people here have experienced the dock scratching issue, for example? I still haven't found a single person with that issue and I work in the games industry. #fightfearfolks

Had mine since day 1.

No screen protector , no scrateches of any sort , perfect dock, and both joycons work next room through a wall with the switch behind a TV and next to a wifi router.

Just my two cents

I am also waiting a bit to see if Nintendo fixes the issues switch has been having.

The fact that is a portable and has detachable parts makes it more sensible to small manufacturing or design issues that are more important because of the form factor, but those should be ironed out with time.

I think it should come with a screen protector by default until they dock thing gets fixed btw

There are no widespread issues. If you really want one go and buy one. You just chose to believe the narrative that fits your mental schema of the world.

I've only experienced issues with the Joy-Cons and the wristband attachment as well as connectivity issues. Had to put on a screen protector though as Nintendo didn't go for industry-standard gorilla glass.

Industry-standard gorilla glass breaks if dropped in a certain way. Plastic will not but is more prone to scratches.

mugwhump

luOrw2R.jpg

This recent accessory might convince me to allow my son out of the house with the Switch in tablet/table top mode with Joy-Cons detached only. The Hori play stand that I have is not sturdy enough for my son as the system can freely fall off of it.

Which one is this? I can't find it.

edit: nvm found it. Looks like it's not releasing until July 28 though.

Industry-standard gorilla glass breaks if dropped in a certain way. Plastic will not but is more prone to scratches.

This. You shouldn't put a glass screen in a device that is used by kids. They drop shit all the time (sometimes literally).

My wife's week old Honor 7 dropped once to the floor and the glass screen broke completely.

I have dropped my Switch a couple of times (knocked the dock over when reaching for cords, it is a bit too light for my tastes) and there hasn't been a single scratch.

How damn hard is it to understand that Nintendo made a great decision with plastic screen? Just get a glass protector if you don't like plastic. Other way round your screen could break under the protector if it hit the floor side first.

And the Switch bends like hell, not when you hold it and maybe twist it, but one if the videos showed that it bends A LOT when it hits the concrete. Helps to keep it safe too, too rigid frame would just make it easier to break when impacted.

It's basically the best and most premium feeling thing Nintendo have ever made. QA probs aren't big enough I think to make Nintendo make major changes.

Usually their stuff is really cheap and 80s retro looking, the Wii U tablet seemed like it came from an era 20 years before the Ipad.

Dropped my Switch, nothing happened thankfully. I also toss it into pockets all the time, I expect eventually there will be small scratch, but I think that's an okay price to pay for being able to use it conveniently.

Certinty

One of the reasons that made me sell my Switch was the scratching with the dock. Still honestly can't believe how something so simple wasn't fixed before launch.

I play the Switch somewhat regularly with my 4 year old and she's yet to damage it at all. I also take the console with me to work to play on the bus and other than the screen being smudged a bit sometimes I've had no issues.

Linkified

I'm sorry but has all the hardware issues of orange and blue screens, the high pitched whines of the system, the flickering pictures has Nintendo addressed any of these? as I'm thinking of going halves with my Godsons parents on the device - and they don't need the hassle of having to send the system.

MoogleMan

I'm sorry but has all the hardware issues of orange and blue screens, the high pitched whines of the system, the flickering pictures has Nintendo addressed any of these? as I'm thinking of going halves with my Godsons parents on the device - and they don't need the hassle of having to send the system.

It's a crapshoot, as with any mass-produced device. Your chances of getting a defective unit now vs waiting 3+months down the line are pretty much the same.

No issues with my launch unit.

sensui-tomo

Is be more worried about what the 8 yr old is going to do to the switch than Nintendos QA.

its an 8 year old, not exactly what i'd consider a dumb kid when it comes to electronics (maybe losing it being the worst thing). I mean hell i had a gameboy(original phat) at 4 years old and that sucker never saw damage.

Apart from the left joycon being designed poorly and adding an optional glass screen protector i'm really happy with my switch, the brackets are still holding the joycons really tight and i've played it at night time a lot.

One of the reasons that made me sell my Switch was the scratching with the dock. Still honestly can't believe how something so simple wasn't fixed before launch.

Because its not so simple when you are mass producing products. You are probably in the 0.001% who has problems. You should just have asked kindly for a return. Im sure any one with this problems would get their machines changed since there are so few defective units

How soon you guys forget the xbox 360 launch LOL

Apart from the left joycon being designed poorly and adding an optional glass screen protector i'm really happy with my switch, the brackets are still holding the joycons really tight and i've played it at night time a lot.

That was totaly overblown by the press as always.Those kind of stories get more clicks because it makes people angry. If the left joyc con was so porrly designed I would not be able to use it in another room.

Cuningas de Häme;237477918 said:
This. You shouldn't put a glass screen in a device that is used by kids. They drop shit all the time (sometimes literally).

My wife's week old Honor 7 dropped once to the floor and the glass screen broke completely.

I have dropped my Switch a couple of times (knocked the dock over when reaching for cords, it is a bit too light for my tastes) and there hasn't been a single scratch.

How damn hard is it to understand that Nintendo made a great decision with plastic screen? Just get a glass protector if you don't like plastic. Other way round your screen could break under the protector if it hit the floor side first.

And the Switch bends like hell, not when you hold it and maybe twist it, but one if the videos showed that it bends A LOT when it hits the concrete. Helps to keep it safe too, too rigid frame would just make it easier to break when impacted.

The bending thing is too hard to comprehend for most people. Just look at how trees bend when its windy... such poor design!! LOL

I have dropped my switch a lot and its just fine.

Godon

Neo Member
Honestly think the switch hardware is great! No issues from my end at all! Im sorry to here about the scratching though!

Top Bottom