• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware wants your feedback on gameplay to make Dragon Age Inquisition fun

Xilium

Easy though it was, it was FUN to kill shit in Amalur: Reckoning.

I actually liked Reckoning's combat system. It got pretty repetitive but it was a generally fun system that didn't take itself too seriously. I just kept switching up my weapon/class to keep it interesting.

spirity

Severance was great.
Dark Messiah... Eh, it was mostly ok for a first person melee combat, but I would argue that first person melee combat isn't a great idea in the first place.
Also, Mount & Blade was stellar.

Chivalry is pretty enjoyable, if a bit limited. Though I don't know if thats really just my glee in decapitations and gore.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I actually liked Reckoning's combat system. It got pretty repetitive but it was a generally fun system that didn't take itself too seriously. I just kept switching up my weapon/class to keep it interesting.

I think you're equating that immediate feedback loops make for good combat. That combat needs to be more action to be good. I look at WRPG combat like I look at board games or RTSes or turn based strategy games. It's more thinking than it is reflexes, or that's what I want.

Setting traps, triggering a fight then pulling a large selection of monsters into a narrow field, so they get blown to smithereens due to my planning ahead > 100 hit combos. Temple of Elemental Evil > Devil May Cry. For me. The more pausing and planning I do, the more rewarding I find the end results.

Please add an option/mode where the best items are automatically equipped for non-action/rpg players. I do not want to have to go through inventory screens to figure out what I need to equip. I just want to play through the game.

A good rpg really shouldn't have gear that is always 100% of the time just a straight upgrade. When you do find some gear that's straight up better, it's not exactly hard to just look at the freakin' stats.

So yeah don't play an rpg if you don't want to play along with rpg mechanics.

Midou

I gave a semi-detailed though only took about a minute writing it part for the end. I tried to be fair but realistic. Obviously they aren't going to do some hardcore, pause and play focused, high character customization CRPG, but if they can at least make 'hard' difficulty require pause and play a fair amount, and make you actually plan out your fighting in those instances, as well as making isometric 100% viable (in terms of controls, button mappings, interface, etc) then I am happy to compromise somewhat.

but yeah basically 'make it like DA: O'.

Oh yeah, the hilarious thing (hilarious for myself), I loved DA: O and obviously played it longer ago than DA2, I played each game at launch, for about 2 weeks to beat it. I didn't remember ANY of the names from the DA2 party list except for Fenris and Anders, yet I vividly remember several things about each character in DA: O.

Mr. West

Banned
Oh Bioware. Don't ask fans to help design your games. Don't design your games based around what you think is "hot" or "cod fanbase appealing". Just make the game YOU think is good.

Oh Bioware. Don't ask fans to help design your games. Don't design your games based around what you think is "hot" or "cod fanbase appealing". Just make the game YOU think is good.

They aren't. Theyre just looking for how to spin the design decisions they've already made.

Step 1- Take everything you did in DA 2 and throw it out.

Step 2. Decide Tactical wrpg or Crazy Action Rpg, or Demons Souls

Step 3 Action- Play Kingdom Hearts, Kingdoms of Amalur and God of War Ascension Multiplayer to study how base attack combos and Cooldown/MP managed abilities interplay with each other.

Step 3 Tactical- Go play your Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games to study Tactical rpg combat.

Step 4. if all else fails. Demons Souls

Aaron

Drop the sex stuff. I know there's a contingent of their audience that's way into this stuff, but it's just so lame.

tokkun

If you are going to have every character in the game be bisexual, this should be reflected in the rest of the game world.

Prax

Well, I just told them I liked inter-character relationship stuff. xD
But I clarified it to mean growing relationships and rivalries depending on decisions made in the game. And not necessarily with the main character either. If you're going to have a party, you should work more with the group dynamics and interpersonal relationship kind of stuff.

Also, I'm fine with every party member being bisexual if they limit the amount of members available to 4-6 (with two of them probably being unromanceable for the main chartacter anyway). If they have more party members, I guess it'd be okay to have some of them being strictly straight or strictly gay too. Whatever it takes to maximize the amount of choice for the player but also maintain some kind of character integrity and diversity.

RedSwirl

If you want action combat then just make action combat and try to make it as good and responsive as possible. This half and half with action and dice rolls drives me nuts and it results in a mess. A flashy mess, but a mess nonetheless. Go the Witcher 3/Dark Souls route with it.

After that I'll just hope they don't dumb any RPG elements down on the side. I don't really have a preference for this series because I didn't like either game for different reasons so I'm open to anything that doesn't remind me of Skyrim.

The thing is though, that tactical combat is BioWare's heritage. The reason I don't like them trying the action RPG route is because it just isn't in BioWare's blood. They are an RPG house. DA2 and Mass Effect 2 exemplify this.

The same thing happens in a shitload of Japanese action RPGs from traditional JRPG developers. Kingdom Hearts has an okay system but it still can't touch the likes of say, Ninja Gaiden or something. Dragon's Dogma works because it was done by the director of Devil May Cry 3.

KOTOR has my favorite turn based combat ever... DA:O had enjoyable combat as well. DA2...not so much. That's what I told them.

If I want a hack and slash, I'll go buy one of those.

Xilium

I think you're equating that immediate feedback loops make for good combat. That combat needs to be more action to be good. I look at WRPG combat like I look at board games or RTSes or turn based strategy games. It's more thinking than it is reflexes, or that's what I want.

Setting traps, triggering a fight then pulling a large selection of monsters into a narrow field, so they get blown to smithereens due to my planning ahead > 100 hit combos. Temple of Elemental Evil > Devil May Cry. For me. The more pausing and planning I do, the more rewarding I find the end results.

I wasn't saying that Amalur was particularly good, just fun. Just like with your average JRPG, Amalur relies a lot on visual flair and over-the-top animations to make the combat flashier and more exciting and in my opinion, that makes an otherwise mediocre system more entertaining. WRPG combat tend to be so grounded in 'realism' that if the combat isn't good, there's nothing else to latch on to and make it fun.

I totally understand what makes a tactical or strategy game fun and I enjoy those games for that but most modern WRPGs aren't that (as I mentioned in a previous post, people always go back to WRPGs that were made 10+ years ago as their go-to good combat example).

I will also say that while micro managing every fight to that level of detail can be quite fun and rewarding, it can also become very tedious in a game where you're constantly fighting. In DA:O for instance, combat just became a chore in some of the longer dungeons, where I was just trying to get from one end of the map to the other. The fights weren't demanding from a tactical standpoint but I couldn't just face roll through them like I could with a more action-based system.

What I'm getting from this thread (and previous threads on this topic) is that people like old-school CRPG, isometric/tactical combat systems but those combat systems, by and large, no longer exist (I'm sure there are smaller indie-esque titles that still do that but mainstream WRPGs don't). Instead what we've got are first-person melee/magic (just plain horrid), first/third-person shooter, Diablo-esque isometric/action clickfests, and various takes on third-person melee/magic action. The Dragon Age series is pretty much the last of it's kind (party-based isometric/tactical) as far as mainstream games are concerned and it appears to be going the action route as well.

The thing is though, that tactical combat is BioWare's heritage. The reason I don't like them trying the action RPG route is because it just isn't in BioWare's blood. They are an RPG house. DA2 and Mass Effect 2 exemplify this.

The same thing happens in a shitload of Japanese action RPGs from traditional JRPG developers. Kingdom Hearts has an okay system but it still can't touch the likes of say, Ninja Gaiden or something. Dragon's Dogma works because it was done by the director of Devil May Cry 3.

The problem (which I alluded to earlier and point out every time this change occurs) is that the exodus from abstract, turn-based combat to action-RPG isn't one of seeking quality or of having a good action background to build from (ala Dragon's Dogma). They just wanna flee thinking and tactics heavy abstraction in combat cuz they think people like Game Analyst speak for these huge, teeming masses who could only be counted on for sales with ARPG combat, even if its as sludgy, sloppy, and banal as DA2's was. Lo and behold like alot of Gen 7 Dogma, that has a shitty batting average. Skyrim yes, KoA no.

The fights weren't demanding from a tactical standpoint but I couldn't just face roll through them like I could with a more action-based system.

Cone of Cold.

Fireball.

I see dead people.

NoPiece

Fuck that. Make a proper tactical combat instead.

I was going to say that demanding controller support for a tactical RPG is like demanding mouse and keyboard support for Street Fighter IV. But as I was writing it I remembered I played through XCOM Enemy Unknown with a controller, and it worked great. So yes, just make proper tactical combat, then figure out controller support.

Massa

Here's my feedback, give creative freedom to the people you hired to actually design games and stop trying to please the damn internet.

DocSeuss

"HOW IMPORTANT IS GRITTY REALISM TO YOU?"

Not important

"HOW IMPORTANT IS ROMANCE TO YOU?"

Not important

"HOW IMPORTANT ARE GOOD CHARACTERS TO YOU?"

REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT I AM GLAD YOU ASKED BECAUSE YOU HAVE YET TO INCLUDE THEM

DA2 was really quite awful in this regard, moreso than any other. For my preferred party setup, I just listed Varric, because, seriously, everyone else sucked even more.

Give me either a really deep action combat system (like Dragon's Dogma, but better, and with more enemy feedback), or a really deep tactical combat system (like, I don't know, Dragon Age: Origins, which continues to surprise me on subsequent playthroughs) or figure out how to merge the two and let me do action stuff, pause, zoom out to tactical, move guys around, then jump right back into the action. Because that would be magical.

DocSeuss

All you needed to say. Sadly, I don't think the Dragon Age team has it in them to write good characters.

This is still my favorite article on why Bioware is terrible at writing.

I love this bit particularly:

FIRST OFF, PLEASE KNOW THAT HULK LOVES HULK SOME VIDEO GAMES. THEY’RE FUN, UNIQUE, AND IMMERSIVE. BUT THE STORYTELLING CRAFT IS USUALLY NOT FIT FOR EVEN THE WORST HOLLYWOOD MOVIES. EVEN THE COMPANIES THAT SUPPOSEDLY DO IT WELL, LIKE BIOWARE, ARE REALLY TELLING THE SAME EXACT STORIES WITH THE SAME EXACT CHARACTERS IN THE MOST NON-INTERESTING WAY AS POSSIBLE. AGAIN, IT’S NOT A MATTER OF THINGS MERELY BEING SIMILAR, BUT THAT THEY ARE ALL SO SIMILAR IN THE MOST ROTE, SOUL-CRUSHING WAY POSSIBLE. THEY NAKEDLY USE THE MONOMYTH MODELS AS HOW-TO GUIDES.(3)

THE BIOWARE CHART HULK JUST LINKED TO ABOVE ACTUALLY LED TO VERY FUNNY SITUATION THAT HAPPENS OFTEN ENOUGH TO BE ONE OF HULK’S FAVORITE THINGS EVER. SEE, WHEN THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE HERO-JOURNEY REGURGITATIONS ARE CALLED OUT ON IT, THEY SOMETIMES HAVE THE GALL TO DEFEND THEMSELVES IN A RATHER PISSY WAY, OFTEN WITH FAUX-INTELLECTUAL SMUGNESS. SOMETHING AKIN TO “UH, SORRY GUYS IT’S CALLED “THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES” AND IT PROVES ALL STORIES ARE THE SAME STORY. PSSSSH. IDIOT.”

SERIOUSLY, HERE IS EXACTLY HOW BIOWARE WRITER RESPONDED [VIA MESSAGE BOARD AT THAT]: “So I’m supposed to believe someone is smart enough to do a big Excel spreadsheet with color coding and stuff but not smart enough to know about Campbellian archetypes? Yeah, guys, every BioWare game has the same plot! See, things are kind of normal, and then things change and you have to go out and do stuff, and you go to crazy weird places! Aaaaaand so yeah, totally the same story. That’s asinine.”

HULK WOULD SIMPLY REPLY: “YES. HULK TOO IS FAMILIAR WITH THIS BOOK YOU SPEAK OF. THAT’S BECAUSE WE ALL READ IT IN, LIKE, 9TH GRADE. AND THAT’S REALLY NOT WHAT THE BOOK IS SAYING, BUT THANKS FOR PLAYING!” AND THANKFULLY A LOT OF WRITERS MADE IT 10TH GRADE WHERE THEY READ SHAKESPEARE OR T.S. ELLIOT OR SOMETHING AND THE WORLD OF NUANCE OPENED UP.

HULK MEAN, THAT IS SERIOUSLY WHAT THE WRITER THINKS THAT CHART IS SAYING? THAT UBER-SPECIFIC CHART THAT DETAILS EXACTLY HOW THEY’RE DOING THE SAME EXACT GAME OVER AND OVER? UGH. HIS PURPOSEFULLY SARCASTIC ARGUMENT DOESN’T EVEN MAKE SENSE. HE STARTS ARGUING FOR THE SAMENESS OF CAMPBELLIAN ARCHETYPES AND THEN PROCEEDS TO SARCASTICALLY ARGUE THE CRITICS ARE OVER-TYPIFYING SAID SAMENESS? WHAT!??! HULK CONFUSED. AND THE FUNNIEST FUCKING PART IS THE WAY HE MAKES FUN OF HOW THEY’RE SUMMARIZING “STORY TELLING” IS ACTUALLY FAR MORE INDICATIVE OF HIS OWN APPROACH.

SERIOUSLY, HERE ARE THE WRITER’S OTHER COMMENTS SUMMARIZED IN AN ARTICLE IN EUROGAMER.

Weekes said the “intro, four planets, finale” structure familiar to BioWare games is picked for a number of good reasons.

Firstly, it’s “easy” in the sense of QA, as areas can be culled if they’re not ready in time for launch with minimal impact on the final product.

Secondly, “players understand it”. Weekes explained that four is a golden number of objectives for an area that may confuse, overwhelm and frustrate once exceeded.

Thirdly, “There’s nothing wrong with it.”

“It’s a structure, like any other,” he wrote. “Humorously snarking that our games have a beginning part that is streamlined and introduces you to the game, a middle that allows you the freedom to go to several places and have adventures, and then a tightly focused ending is like riffing on how romance novels generally start out with two people being attracted to each other but having emotional issues, then gradually building trust, then having a complication that splits them up, and then in the end they get together and are happy.

“People who create fiction in any form use a structure appropriate to that form. They do it because their audience understands and responds on an emotional level to that structure,” he concluded.

HULK DOESN’T REALLY MEAN TO SINGLE THIS WELL-MEANING PERSON OUT… BUT SERIOUSLY, THAT IS THE RESPONSE?!??!?!? DO THEY NOT SEE THAT THEY ARE STARTING OFF ON THE COMPLETE WRONG FOOT IN THEIR APPROACH TO DESIGNING A GAMING “WORLD AND STORY”?!?!??!?!

It's worth noting that Saints Row 4 uses Cid to make fun of Bioware's "four is an ideal number of objectives," as well as "my romance to you is predicated on your performing actions for me," and the fact that the game takes place largely on board a space ship, much like the Normandy. Saints Row 4 is great at that.

The Foul

"Intimate relationships and romance"

T8G3Igs.gif

Aaron

I was going to say that demanding controller support for a tactical RPG is like demanding mouse and keyboard support for Street Fighter IV. But as I was writing it I remembered I played through XCOM Enemy Unknown with a controller, and it worked great. So yes, just make proper tactical combat, then figure out controller support.
SF4 does support the keyboard. Since it's a game about precise inputs, if you can get used to it a keyboard is actually a solid control method. It's not different than that all button controller that was banned from some tournaments for being too good.

Jac_Solar

I want to play those type of games, but normally do not because of the menu systems. Mass Effect did an ok job of doing what I am asking Bioware to do, and because of this, my wife and I beat all three games together.

EDIT

The same applies to pure RPGs. What I want and assume would be easy to do is to give the player the option (at the beginning of the game) that would allow the user to just pick up and play through the game without having to grind at all. This would allow non-rpg players the ability to experience the game without any of the hassles associated with rpgs. I think it is money just being left on the table for developers. There has to be many of us who want to experience these type of games but not put in 50 to 80 hours.

Loot and character progression is one of the most significant and enjoyable aspects of these "rpg" games, and sidelining that would severely put the enjoyment factor off balance. If they did include an "option" to somehow do this, people who bought it for the action would complain, and come next game, they'd start designing the game with this in mind.

And since action games already exist, why would you enforce your playstyle upon another genre that other people enjoy?

Some Nobody

It was terrible button mashing with an unlikable flashy look, as far as I'm concerned.

That's why they call 'em, y'know, opinions.

This is again an opinion thing. It's one thing when I'm playing a T-RPG, but otherwise I think RPGs need to either stick to being turn-based, or suck it up and all become full on action games. I tried playing DA1 but quit very early on (two hours or so in) for two reasons: the shitty colors of the early part of the game that made the world appear dreary and dull, and a battle system that put me to sleep after beating Reckoning. I'm hoping Inquisition fixes both.

I wasn't saying that Amalur was particularly good, just fun. Just like with your average JRPG, Amalur relies a lot on visual flair and over-the-top animations to make the combat flashier and more exciting and in my opinion, that makes an otherwise mediocre system more entertaining. WRPG combat tend to be so grounded in 'realism' that if the combat isn't good, there's nothing else to latch on to and make it fun.

In fall fairness, I think Amalur's combat system was excellent considering its from a genre where the combat is typically garbage. And there was tons of room to fine-tune it as well, but we all know what happened there... :(

pottuvoi

Banned
I really hope that morality choices during dialog (paragon/renegade) will not be instant win.
Stupid choices should have proper consequences which might not be visible for a while. (No more, select blue/red to win.)

Sentenza

I am obsessed with melee action games. Chivalry, Dark Souls, I even got Blade Symphony to scratch that itch further. The Witcher 2 was a valiant attempt too, with poor encounter design harming what was actually a neat system.

Why would I want DA to be at all like those though? The original was an unbalanced attempt at squad-based pause combat. All I want is for them to fix what that game started.
Bingo, there are a lot of flaws in DA: O that could be fixed without requiring the developer to switch genre entirely.

They have a disastrous class system (where characters tend to become more and more similar leveling up and "specializing", instead of becoming more different as they should), terrible encounter design and bestiary (starting with the glaring flaw of lack of unique, distinctive traits for enemies/monsters, which makes every fight essentially the same with different skins), poor loot distribution and bland and uninspired quest design for anything that isn't part of the main plot.

Those are things that should be fixed, not "MAKING IT A BUTTON MASHER SHOULD TOTALLY SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH THE FRANCHISE!".
That's why they call 'em, y'know, opinions.

This is again an opinion thing.
Well, yeah, thank you for stating the obvious.

In fall fairness, I think Amalur's combat system was excellent considering its from a genre where the combat is typically garbage.
Personally I would label both these statements as bullshit.

Red Mage

The problem (which I alluded to earlier and point out every time this change occurs) is that the exodus from abstract, turn-based combat to action-RPG isn't one of seeking quality or of having a good action background to build from (ala Dragon's Dogma). They just wanna flee thinking and tactics heavy abstraction in combat cuz they think people like Game Analyst speak for these huge, teeming masses who could only be counted on for sales with ARPG combat, even if its as sludgy, sloppy, and banal as DA2's was. Lo and behold like alot of Gen 7 Dogma, that has a shitty batting average. Skyrim yes, KoA no.

Cone of Cold.

Fireball.

I see dead people

Heck, if you wanted to be cheap, just go "Inferno/Blizzard" in a room you've not even opened yet. Wait about a minute, and when you kick open the door, everyone's dead.

"HOW IMPORTANT IS GRITTY REALISM TO YOU?"

Not important

"HOW IMPORTANT IS ROMANCE TO YOU?"

Not important

"HOW IMPORTANT ARE GOOD CHARACTERS TO YOU?"

REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT I AM GLAD YOU ASKED BECAUSE YOU HAVE YET TO INCLUDE THEM.

LIES. Shale is an awesome character. Not only that, but she makes the other party members better by way of hilarious conversations.

Alistair: So, Shale... when you were standing there all that time? Did you... sleep?

Shale: I have no need to sleep. My body does not tire or do -- ugh -- other flesh-related functions.

Alistair: But don't you get bored? Wouldn't you want to dream, at least?

Shale: I do not dream. This is what it does when it sleeps? It paws its nose and mumbles incoherently.

Alistair: Yes, of course. I thought we all -- huh... you watch me?

Shale: I watch all closely when they are still at night. There is little else to do.

Alistair: For... hours and hours?

Shale: I count the breaths. it helps to overcome the overwhelming urge to crush their faces while they sleep.

Alistair: Well. I won't be doing much of that anymore.

Top Bottom